If you are looking for powerful quotes that will stick with you long after you have read them, the Ram Dass quotes below will do just that. Born Richard Alpert, Ram Dass is a best-selling author, spiritual leader, and former psychologist.
Who inspires you in your own life?
Dass is well-known for his professional work with Dr. Timothy Leary at Harvard University in the 1970s, where they researched the effects of psychedelics.
In 1971, Dass released his spirituality book Be Here Now and has sold over two million copies since its initial release. As a spiritual leader, Dass focuses on influencing people around the world to live in the present and become fully aware of their true self.
Check out the selection of Ram Dass quotes below to get your daily dose of motivation.
Ram Dass quotes on wisdom
1. “Suffering is part of our training program for becoming wise.” – Ram Dass
2. “The heart surrenders everything to the moment. The mind judges and holds back.” – Ram Dass
3. “Each of us finds his unique vehicle for sharing with others his bit of wisdom.” – Ram Dass
4. “Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” – Ram Dass
5. “Knowledge all by itself, without deep wisdom, ends up becoming despair.” – Ram Dass
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of wisdom quotes from the world’s greatest minds.
Ram Dass quotes on connecting with others
6. “You just love until you and the beloved become one.” – Ram Dass
7. “We are all affecting the world every moment, whether we mean to or not. Our actions and states of mind matter, because we are so deeply interconnected with one another.” – Ram Dass
8. “Compassion refers to the arising in the heart of the desire to relieve the suffering of all beings.” – Ram Dass (see other compassionate empathy quotes)
9. “When you know how to listen everybody is the guru.” – Ram Dass
10. “Let’s trade in all our judging for appreciating. Let’s lay down our righteousness and just be together.” – Ram Dass
11. “We’re all just walking each other home.” – Ram Dass
12. “In most of our human relationships, we spend much of our time reassuring one another that our costumes of identity are on straight.” – Ram Dass
13. “Treat everyone you meet like God in drag.” – Ram Dass
14. “Once you get to your soul, then every person you look at is a soul.” – Ram Dass
15. “Learn to watch your drama unfold while at the same time knowing you are more than your drama.” – Ram Dass
16. “We’re here to awaken from the illusion of separateness” – Ram Dass
17. “In our relationships, how much can we allow them to become new, and how much do we cling to what they used to be yesterday?” – Ram Dass
18. “Our interactions with one another reflect a dance between love and fear.” – Ram Dass
19. “By acting compassionately, by helping to restore justice and to encourage peace, we are acknowledging that we are all part of one another.” – Ram Dass
20. “You may protest if you can love the person you are protesting against as much as you love yourself.” – Ram Dass
21. “When your center is firm, when your faith is strong and unwavering, then it will not matter what company you keep.” – Ram Dass
22. “A relationship starting out as one that awakens love can only remain a living vehicle for love to the extent that it is continually made new or reconsecrated.” – Ram Dass
23. “The art of listening comes from a quiet mind and an open heart.” – Ram Dass
Ram Dass quotes on self-love
24. “Our whole spiritual transformation brings us to the point where we realize that in our own being. We are enough.” – Ram Dass
25. “Your problem is you are too busy holding on to your unworthiness.” – Ram Dass
26. “Emptiness is not really empty; emptiness is fully of everything. The ‘everything’ just isn’t manifest.” – Ram Dass
27. “Everyone should smile. Life really isn’t that serious. We make it hard. The sun rises. The sun sets. We just tend to complicate the process.” – Ram Dass
28. “The Ego is an exquisite instrument. Enjoy it, use it–just don’t get lost in it.” – Ram Dass
29. “If you want to be surrounded by Souls, become identified with your Soul. It takes one to know one!” – Ram Dass
30. “Cosmic humor, especially about your own predicament, is an important part of your journey.” – Ram Dass
31. “Love is the most transformative medicine for Love slowly transforms you into what psychedelics only get you to glimpse.” – Ram Dass
Ram Dass quotes on success
32. “Start from where you are – not where you wish you were. The work you’re doing becomes your path.” – Ram Dass
33. “Suffering is the sandpaper of our incarnation. It does its work of shaping us.” – Ram Dass
34. “Everything in your life is there as a vehicle for your transformation. Use it!” – Ram Dass
35. “Be patient. You’ll know when it’s time for you to wake up and move ahead.” – Ram Dass
36. “It is important to expect nothing, to take every experience, including the negative ones, as merely steps on the path, and to proceed.” – Ram Dass
37. “Start from where you are–not where you wish you were. The work you’re doing becomes your path.” – Ram Dass
38. “Everything changes once we identify with being the witness to the story, instead of the actor in it.” – Ram Dass
39. “The next message you need is always right where you are.” – Ram Dass
40. “A feeling of aversion or attachment toward something is your clue that there’s work to be done.” – Ram Dass
41. “Now is now. Are you going to be here or not?” – Ram Dass
42. “The world is won by those who let it go.” – Ram Dass
43. “I see my life as an unfolding set of opportunities to awaken.” – Ram Dass
Ram Dass quotes about faith
44. “Faith is not a belief. Faith is what is left when your beliefs have all been blown to hell.” – Ram Dass
45. “It’s better to see God in everything than to try to figure it out.” – Ram Dass
46. “The spiritual journey is not about acquiring something outside yourself. Rather, you are penetrating the layers and veils to return to the deepest truth of your own being.” – Ram Dass
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of spiritual quotes to help you feel connected to a higher power.
47. “Healing does not mean going back to the way things were before, but rather allowing what is now to move us closer to God.” – Ram Dass
48. “Just because you are seeing divine light, experiencing waves of bliss, or conversing with Gods and Goddesses is no reason to not know your zip code.” – Ram Dass
49. “When the heart is open, it’s easier for the mind to be turned toward God.” – Ram Dass
50. “What the word God means is the mystery really. It’s the mystery that we face as humans the mystery of existence, of suffering and of death.” – Ram Dass
51. “We often think that vulnerability is a kind of weakness, but there’s a kind of vulnerability that is actually strength and presence.”― Ram Dass
52. “Most of us are so caught in righteousness, we’re afraid of truth.”― Ram Dass
53. “The more conscious that a being becomes, the more he can use any occupation as a vehicle for spreading light.”― Ram Dass
Thought-provoking Ram Dass quotes
54. “The journey across the great ocean of existence Is a journey inward ever in deeper and deeper and the deeper you get in the more you meet truth.”― Ram Dass
55. “It’s the pysical plane, the astral plane, the causal plane – all the conceptual levels of form, all the way back to pure idea.”― Ram Dass
56. “Don’t think about the future. Just be here now.”― Ram Dass
57. “I must really be crazy, now—because craziness is where everybody agrees about something,—except you!”― Ram Dass
58. “You don’t need to go to anywhere else to find what you are seeking.”― Ram Dass
59. “Just relax and trust the process.”― Ram Dass
60. “You are loved just for being who you are, just for existing. You don’t have to do anything to earn it. Your shortcomings, your lack of self-esteem, physical perfection, or social and economic success – none of that matters. No one can take this love away from you, and it will always be here.”― Ram Dass
More Ram Dass quotes and sayings
61. “The quieter you become, the more you can hear.” – Ram Dass
62. “We’re fascinated by the words–but where we meet is in the silence behind them.” – Ram Dass
63. “Would like my life to be a statement of love and compassion–and where it isn’t, that’s where my work lies.” – Ram Dass
64. “As long as you have certain desires about how it ought to be you can’t see how it is.” – Ram Dass
65. “What you meet in another being is the projection of your own level of evolution.” – Ram Dass
66. “Only that in you which is me can hear what I’m saying.” – Ram Dass
67. “I’m not interested in being a “lover.” I’m interested in only being love.” – Ram Dass
68. “When we see the Beloved in each person, it’s like walking through a garden, watching flowers bloom all around us.” – Ram Dass
69. “If you think you’re free, there’s no escape possible.” – Ram Dass
70. “The resistance to the unpleasant situation is the root of suffering.” – Ram Dass
Are you on the journey towards self-acceptance?
At the basis of Ram Dass’ philosophy is the importance of being aware of one’s true self. Once you are fully comfortable with who you are and the life that you are destined to live, the path towards happiness often reveals itself to you.
If you are still looking for who you are, fear not! You are not alone in your journey. Soon, you will find out who you are truly meant to be. It is only a matter of time.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these inspirational Ram Dass quotes? Do you have a favorite quote from the list above? Let us know what you relate to most in the comments section below.
March 26, 2021 6:00 AM EST