Ever since I could read I have been obsessed with the power of words, and it’s words that invariably turn things around for me when life gets tough.
In high school, I started a quote journal throughout my life I find myself looking back and referencing certain quotes to help me make sense of situations – professionally and personally.
When asked which quotes were the most powerful and inspiring to me, all I had to do was look back in my little notebook and the answers were clear.
Below are my top ten favorites with an explanation of how each one changed my life!
Tell me your favorite one in the comment section!
Phrases To Read When Life Gets Tough, #1:
“Someone once asked a poet, “If your house was burning and you could save only one thing, what would you save?” The poet answered, “I would save the fire, for without the fire we are nothing.”
This is my favorite quote of all time.
When I am tired, overwhelmed, and overworked, I think of this because it reminds me that even when life gets tough, there is a reason for everything.
You just need to look at it with a new perspective.
Without fire, there is no passion, and no drive to succeed.
The fire fuels me in everything I do in life. Save the fire. So many people in life want to put that fire out – don’t ever let them.
“Don’t let the bastards grind you down.”― Margaret Atwood
This quote is my power motto from one of my favorite books, The Handmaid’s Tale.
Truly in life, no one has the ability to make you feel bad unless you let them.
That is powerful to remember.
But sometimes, you just can’t help it, and the negativity sneaks into your head and brings you down. This quote reminds me to stay strong when life gets tough!
“You know, sometimes all you need is 20 seconds of insane courage. Just literally 20 seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.”― Benjamin Mee
Thank goodness for this quote.
It is the reason I started my company, Mugsy PR.
I took 20 seconds of courage to quit my previous job and took a leap of faith.
Every time I need to be brave, I take a deep breath and think of this.
“No woman gets an orgasm from shining the kitchen floor.” — Betty Friedan
There may be some women out there whose fetish is mopping, but it isn’t mine.
This quote reminds me, with a smile, to be grateful for my career, my life, and my opportunities.
I like a shiny kitchen floor – but I like being the boss more!
Phrases To Read When Life Gets Tough, #5:
“Your life is the canvas. Fill it with color.” — Unknown
When you are little and you’re coloring, you see nothing wrong with a blue cow or a red sky.
A blank canvas is nothing but an opportunity.
Then as an adult, we try to conform, and all of a sudden that blank canvas can feel overwhelming.
A chance to create anything and weirdly we paint nothing.
This quote reminds me that it is my life to live my way.
No one else can paint your canvas for you.
When new opportunities come your way, instead of being anxious, think of it as a new color to add to your canvas!
“I’m in the red, but it’s only the color I’m painting this town” — George Watsky
First, who doesn’t want to paint the town red?
Second, this is just a fun, smile-inducing quote.
And Third: Every time business is slow and I am broke, I think of this.
It helps me remember that it is all about the way you look at things.
“In this life, people will love you and people will hate you and none of that will have anything to do with you.” — Abraham Hicks
So important to remember when life gets tough.
Every time I speak at a public event, give an opinion at a meeting, go to a networking event, or just meet new people, I think of this quote.
At the end of the day, what other people think doesn’t matter as much as we think it does.
Haters gonna hate, likers gonna like, and life goes on.
“How wrong is it for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself?”― Anaïs Nin
Yet another great quote from Anais Nin.
I am a strong believer in building your own life and letting a man, or any significant other, be a bonus to that already happy life.
My grandparents always told me – “You make your own dreams with calloused hands.”
Phrases to Read When Life Gets Tough, #9:
“Stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone ought to be.” — Elizabeth Gilbert
This quote is on my mirror at home because wishing doesn’t work, but being strong, proud, and determined does.
Work hard to get where you want, don’t just wish for it and life will begin to change in the most positive ways.
When life gets tough, all you need is to remember your favorite quotes or sayings.
Whether they’re from friends, family, or an inspirational writer, they should help motivate you in the right direction.
Other sentences to read when life gets tough
12. “When the going gets tough, the tough reinvent.” — RuPaul
10. “If Life Gets Too Hard To Stand, Kneel.” — Gordon B. Hinckley
10. “When the going gets tough, put one foot in front of the other and just keep going. Don’t give up.” — Roy T. Bennett
16. “Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they’re supposed to help you discover who you are.” — Bernice Johnson Reagon
13. “When an obstacle is tough, you try harder. When an obstacle is insurmountable, you change course. But you never sit down and refuse to finish.” — Bethenny Frankel
18. “Passion pulls you. It’s the sense of connection you feel when the work you do expresses who you are. Only passion will get you through the tough times.” — Randy Komisar
19. “How do you survive for years in prison? You don’t think about years, or months, or weeks. You think about today—how to get through it, how to survive it.” — John Grisham
11. “Life is sometimes hard. Things go wrong, in life and in love and in business and in friendship and in health and in all other ways that life can go wrong. And when things get tough, this is what you should do. Make good art.” — Neil Gaiman
15. “It is attitude, infinitely more than circumstance, that determines the quality of life. Life is often quite tough, challenging us to choose between seemingly esoteric, intangible ideals and getting goodies or good vibes right now. You have character when you most often choose ideals.” — Laura Schlessinger
14. “Being physically tough is measured by how many fights you win, but mental toughness is measured by how you react when all the chips are stacked against you, how fast you get back on track when life kicks you in the nuts. Any fool can win a fight, but it takes a person with true grit to never give up when all seems lost.” — Benjamin Bayani
What do you do when life gets tough?
If not words, do you turn to something else when life gets tough?
What is the special thing that gets you through tough times?
Do you have a favorite phrase or sentence from this list?
Please let us know in the comment section!
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Your mindset is your most powerful tool, and the best thing you can do with it is to remind yourself of all the good in your life each morning using positive affirmations.
Everyday Power’s motivation section is all about developing the mindset to be resilient and persevere over whatever obstacles you have in your life.
Negative people in your life will only bring you down. Read this to learn why you need to kick negative friends to the curb.
Do you feel that you’re ready for anything? Life will throw all kinds of obstacles your way. It’s important that you’re prepared.
Check out these related quote articles:
Here are some deep quotes from authors, sports figures, geniuses, and everyone in between!
The human spirit has an unwavering ability to overcome, as seen in these challenge quotes.
Physical and emotional pain are an undeniable part of the human experience; these pain quotes prove it.
The sky, an expansive canvas stretching above us, holds a captivating allure that has captivated hearts and minds for millennia.