Silver, is a chemical element, atomic number 47, with the symbol Ag (from the Latin argentum).
There are some great silver quotes you can use for Instagram by making a play on words with mAgnificent!
The word argentum is derived from a Proto-Indo-European word that means “shiny” or “white”.
Most silver is produced as a byproduct of copper, gold, lead, and zinc refining.
It is regarded as a precious metal and used in currency, which is why there are so many sliver quotes comparing it to gold and other currencies.
Silver is also used to describe many things, especially in poems and literature like the Great Gatsby.
It can also be used as a way to indicate that someone is spoiled or has had things handed to them, which is where phrases like “silver spoon” and “silver platter” come from.
Keep reading for more silver quotes and see how you can use them in your everyday life!
Don’t forget to also check out these gold quotes from all throughout life.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
Browse our entire collection of inspirational quotes for more motivating ideas and concepts.
Silver quotes from The Great Gatsby
1.“There was nothing in it but a small expensive dog leash made of leather and braided silver.” ― The Great Gatsby
You will also enjoy our article on Great Gatsby quotes.
2. “Cody was fifty years old then, a product of the Nevada silver fields, of the Yukon, of every rush for metal since Seventy-five.” ― The Great Gatsby
You will also enjoy our article on Fifty Shades of Grey quotes.
3. “An hour later the front door opened nervously, and Gatsby in a white flannel suit, silver shirt and gold-colored tie hurried in.” ― The Great Gatsby
You will also enjoy our article on Latin quotes.
4. “Daisy and Jordan lay upon an enormous couch, like silver idols, weighing down their own white dresses against the singing breeze of the fans.” ― The Great Gatsby
5. “Well, he wasn’t always a butler; he used to be the silver polisher for some people in New York that had a silver service for two hundred people.” ― The Great Gatsby
6. “The moon had risen higher, and floating in the Sound was a triangle of silver scales, trembling a little to the stiff, tinny drip of the banjoes on the lawn.” ― The Great Gatsby
7. “All night the saxophones wailed the hopeless comment of the “Beale Street Blues” while a hundred pairs of golden and silver slippers shuffled the shining dust.” ― The Great Gatsby
8. “The silhouette of a moving cat wavered across the moonlight and turning my head to watch it I saw that I was not alone–fifty feet away a figure had emerged from the shadow of my neighbor’s mansion and was standing with his hands in his pockets regarding the silver pepper of the stars.” ― The Great Gatsby
9. “She had caught a cold and it made her voice huskier and more charming than ever and Gatsby was overwhelmingly aware of the youth and mystery that wealth imprisons and preserves, of the freshness of many clothes and of Daisy, gleaming like silver, safe and proud above the hot struggles of the poor.” ― The Great Gatsby
Silver lining quotes that will remind you to look on the bright side
10. “Our happiness is certainly mixed in with the tragedies of life. You have to find the lemonade. You have to find the silver lining in the middle of everything that happens in life.” ― Chandra Wilson
11. “Every cloud has its silver lining but it is sometimes a little difficult to get it to the mint.” ― Don Marquis
12. “Behind every silver lining, there’s a cloud.” ― Glenn Gould
13. “Every crowd has a silver lining.” ― P. T. Barnum
14. “Courtesy is a silver lining around the dark clouds of civilization; it is the best part of refinement and in many ways, an art of heroic beauty in the vast gallery of man’s cruelty and baseness.” ― Bryant H. McGill
15. “Too many people miss the silver lining because they’re expecting gold.” ― Maurice Setter
16. “Every silver lining’s got a touch of grey.” ― Unknown
17. “Everyone is sick of caring, no silver lining on the cloud that covers you. Let it pour and soak you through.” – Bullet For My Valentine
18. “We all want to do something to mitigate the pain of loss or to turn grief into something positive, to find a silver lining in the clouds. But I believe there is real value in just standing there, being still, being sad.” – John Green
19. “Every cloud has a silver lining, you just have to go through all the darkness to get to it.” – Stef Railey
Silver quotes about spoons, forks, and platters (being spoiled)
20. “You don’t need a silver fork to eat good food.” ― Paul Prudhomme
21. “I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth; I came from really humble beginnings – the projects of New York City – and I worked my way to get to where I am.” ― Adrienne Bailon
22. “Maybe you weren’t born with a silver spoon in your mouth, but like every American, you carry a deed to 635 million acres of public lands. That’s right. Even if you don’t own a house or the latest computer on the market, you own Yosemite, Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, Golden Gate National Recreation Area, and many other natural treasures.” ― John Garamendi
23. “To be born in Wales, not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but, with music in your blood and with poetry in your soul, is a privilege indeed.” ― Brian Harris
24. “I know what hard times are like. I didn’t grow up with a silver spoon in my mouth. I’ve had struggles.” ― Draymond Green
25. “Nothing’s handed to you on a silver platter. Everything takes work, no matter how many records you put out.” ― Lights
26. “Most of us weren’t born with a silver spoon in our mouth, but if life dealt you all the wrong cards, you still have to play.” ― Ivan Moody
27. “The worst thing you can do to a child, and I’ve seen it happen so many times, is the silver spoon.” ― Elton John
28. “Almost nothing is presented to you on a silver platter. You have to really work for it.” ― Katarina Witt
Silver quotes about gold and other currency
29. “Make new friends, but keep the old; Those are silver, these are gold.” ― Joseph Parry
30. “The inflated imitations of gold and silver, which after the rapture are thrown into the fire, all is exhausted and dissipated by the debt. All scripts and bonds are wiped out. At the fourth pillar dedicated to Saturn, split by earthquake and flood: vexing everyone, an urn of gold is found and then restored.” ― Nostradamus
31. “Don’t gain the world and lose your soul; wisdom is better than silver or gold.” ― Bob Marley
32. “Bitcoin is not an actual physical coin, and if computers are shut down, you can’t buy or sell them. That’s why nothing will ever replace gold and silver coins themselves, and all investors should have them at home or in a safe deposit box.” ― Mark Skousen
33. “Labour was the first price, the original purchase – money that was paid for all things. It was not by gold or by silver, but by labour, that all wealth of the world was originally purchased.” ― Adam Smith
34. “A U.S. dollar is an IOU from the Federal Reserve Bank. It’s a promissory note that doesn’t actually promise anything. It’s not backed by gold or silver.” ― P. J. O’Rourke
35. “Gold and silver, like other commodities, have an intrinsic value, which is not arbitrary, but is dependent on their scarcity, the quantity of labour bestowed in procuring them, and the value of the capital employed in the mines which produce them.” ― David Ricardo
36. “I think anybody who is interested in keeping their money safe from the criminal banking system would want gold, silver, and Bitcoin.” ― Max Keiser
37. “For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.” ― Martin Luther
38. “Poor man’s platinum.” ― Unknown
39. “Cheaper than Gold..and still does the trick…” ― Unknown
Silver quotes for captioning your Instagram posts
40. “Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby.” ― Langston Hughes
41. “His smile is like the silver plate on a coffin.” ― John Philpot Curran
42. “Genius without education is like silver in the mine.” ― Benjamin Franklin
43. “Humanity appreciates truth about as much as a squirrel appreciates silver.” ― Vernon Howard
44. “Second best has never been better!” ― Unknown
45. “Silver: It’s m”Ag”nificent!” ― Unknown
46. “Shimmer and shine, let silver be mine.” ― Unknown
47. “Silver for all your shiny needs” ― Unknown
48. “Silver, a true reflector.” ― Unknown
49. “Silver, the right choice.” ― Unknown
50. “No Silver? No way.” ― Unknown
More silver quotes to inspire you
51. “It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
52. “The most pitiful among men is he who turns his dreams into silver and gold.” ― Kahlil Gibran
53. “Every silver lining has a cloud.” ― Mary Kay Ash
54. “There was a perception that I’d grown up with a silver spoon in my mouth.” ― Justin Trudeau
55. “Education is the silver bullet to improve this Nation’s standing worldwide… and our teachers know that.” ― Solomon Ortiz
56. Silver and gold are not the only coin; virtue too passes current all over the world.” ― Euripides
57. “I won a silver medal. But really, I ended up running the fastest race of my life to become part of something that transcended the Games.” ― Peter Norman
58. Nobody cares about the bronze or silver medals.” ― Buzz Aldrin
59. “I don’t think there’s ever a silver bullet to any problem. There are always several answers and solutions to a problem.” ― Susana Martinez
60. “Ending educational inequality is going to require systemic change and a long-term, sustained effort. There are no shortcuts and no silver bullets.” ― Wendy Kopp
Silver That Inspire You To Shine
61. “So always look for the silver lining And try to find the sunny side of life.” ― P. G. Wodehouse
62. “You may have crap that wants to drag you down, but if you really like what you’re doing, then there’s always a silver lining.” ― Vince Neil
63. “I feel like a Gold surrounded by Silver!” ― Carlos P. Romulo
54. “You’d be safe to hold 5% of your assets and savings in gold and silver. Insurance for the future.” ― John Paul DeJoria
65. “Fantasy is silver and scarlet, indigo and azure, obsidian veined with gold and lapis lazuli.” ― George R. R. Martin
66. “Silver, gold – I don’t discriminate! I like sparkly things.” ― Charlaine Harris
67. “If clouds are blocking the sun, there will always be a silver lining that reminds me to keep on trying.” ― Matthew Quick
68. “Knowledge is silver. Outlook is gold. IQ is a lead weight.” ― Alan Kay
69. “You can’t kill rock and roll without a silver bullet because she’s a werewolf.” ― Anthony Langston
70. “We do not know which of our silver products will be judged as gold by our successors, nor does it matter.” ― Doris Lessing
Which of these Silver quotes is your favorite?
Another common phrase that we use everyday is “silver lining.”
It is used to express how there is always an upside to an otherwise gloomy situation.
On a cloudy day when the clouds block out the sunshine there is always something to look forward to or be grateful for.
Looking for life’s silver linings can apply to any situation in which you might want to develop a different perspective.
The sun can always shine, because we need the water, or shade, brought on by the clouds.
Life is much the same, those less than happy moments provide us with an opportunity to learn something about ourselves, and increase our resiliency.
Silver is also associated with coming in at second place.
Sure, you may not get a gold medal in second place, but you still win a valuable medal, and if you did your best then you should be proud of yourself!
There is no shame in coming in second!
What is your favorite use for silver?
I love silver jewelry, and actually prefer it to gold.
Let us know what you think about silver, or if you have any other favorite silver quotes and sayings, in the comment section below!