Tywin Lannister Quotes About Leadership Fit For A King
Raise your sword and salute these awesome Tywin Lannister quotes.
Everyone has their favorite Game of Thrones character.
These Tywin Lannister quotes celebrate one of the most powerful monarchs of the show.
You may also enjoy these related articles:
Who is Tywin Lannister?
To explain Tywin Lannister, we must start with the Game of Thrones universe.
Game of Thrones is one of the most popular shows on HBO.
The series was created by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss and is based on George R.R. Martin’s best-selling A Song of Ice and Fire novel series.
Game of Thrones, or GOT, as many fans call it, is an American medieval fantasy series equipped with dragons, swords, chivalry, giants, the undead, and double-crossing monarchs vying for position against each other.
Tywin Lannister is one of the most influential and cunning monarchs.
Here are some interesting facts about Tywin Lannister:
- Tywin was born in the year 242.
- Lannister remained a mighty warrior into his sixties.
- Tywin’s full title is Lord of Casterly Rock, Shield of Lannisport.
What is the source of Tywin Lannister’s power and wealth?
In the novel and the television show, Lannister is Lord of Casterly Rock and one of the most influential Lords of the Seven Kingdoms.
He is ruthless and has firm conviction and devout loyalty to his family.
Tywin eliminates any who defy him, making him respected and feared.
A wealthy monarch, he puts power and conquest over family, especially any family members he believes get in his way, like his son Tyrion.
His massive wealth comes from the fact that his ancestral home, Casterly Rock, sits on extensive gold mines.
The running joke in Game of Thrones is that Tywin has so much gold he defecates the precious metal.
However, the phrase “A Lannister always pays their debt” is revealed not only to refer to paying off finances but conquest and destruction of rival houses.
Why is Tywin such a powerful king?
Tywin Lannister comes from a proud long lineage of monarchs.
He takes preserving their power seriously.
His life mission is to expand the Lannister family name and empire.
The drive and passion he has for conquest are unmatched by many of his rivals.
Lannister represents the archetype of power, and fans of the series love his ruthless nature.
If you love Game of Thrones or want to learn more about the Warden of the West, check out our Tywin Lannister quotes below.
Short Tywin Lannister quotes about kingship and commanding to inspire the leader in you
Tywin Lannister commands with an iron fist, but he knows much about leadership.
1. “A wise king knows what he knows and what he doesn’t.” — Tywin Lannister
2. “The lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.” — Tywin Lannister
3. “We look like fools, and they look like heroes. That’s how kings fall.” — Tywin Lannister
4. “When soldiers lack discipline, the fault lies with their commander.” — Tywin Lannister
5. “I have a soft spot in my heart for cripples, bastards, and broken things.” — Tywin Lannister
Tywin Lannister sayings about maintaining a family legacy
Lannister exemplifies the desire for power and heritage; these quotes remind us why.
6. “I’m giving you half of our forces-thirty thousand men.” — Tywin Lannister
7. “I’m not questioning your honor, Lord Janos. I’m denying its existence.” — Tywin Lannister
8. “A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge.” — Tywin Lannister
9. “I suppose I should be grateful your vanity got in the way of your recklessness.” — Tywin Lannister
10. “He’s a Lannister. He might be the lowest of the Lannisters, but he is one of us.” — Tywin Lannister
Tywin Lannister quotes about always paying one’s debts
The phrase “A Lannister always pays their debt” is both fiscally sound and ruthless. These quotes illustrate the calculating mindset Tywin embodies.
11. “And every day that he remains a prisoner, the less our name commands respect.” — Tywin Lannister
12. “You will bring them to Catelyn Stark’s girlhood home and remind her that Lannisters pay their debts!” — Tywin Lannister
13. “Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.” — Tywin Lannister
14. “Oh, monster? Perhaps you should speak to me more softly then. Monsters are dangerous, and just now, Kings are dying like flies.” — Tywin Lannister
15. “I will hurt you for this. I don’t know how yet, but give me time. A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you’ll know the debt is paid.” — Tywin Lannister
Tywin Lannister quotes about putting family first
Tywin may have a reputation for being ruthless, but he certainly cares about family.
16. “It’s the family name that lives on. It’s all that lives on. Not your honor, not your personal glory, family.” — Tywin Lannister
17. “The house that puts family first will always defeat the house that puts the whims and wishes of its sons and daughters first.” — Tywin Lannister
18. “Any man who must say, “I am the king” is no true king. I’ll make sure you understand that when I’ve won your war for you.” — Tywin Lannister
19. “It’s not an opinion; it’s a fact! If another house can seize one of our own and hold him captive with impunity, it means we’re no longer a house to be feared!” — Tywin Lannister
Quotes from Tywin Lannister about living for the future
Lannister’s motives are based on keeping his family name relevant among his competition.
20. “Your mother’s dead; before long, I’ll be dead, and you, and your brother and your sister and all of her children. All of us dead, all of us rotting in the ground.” — Tywin Lannister
21. “I need you to become the man you were always meant to be. Not next year, not tomorrow…now.” — Tywin Lannister
22. “It’s the family name that lives on. That’s all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family.” — Tywin Lannister
23. “And what have you done with these blessings? You’ve served as a glorified bodyguard for two kings, one a madman, the other a drunk.” — Tywin Lannister
24. “You’re blessed with abilities that few men possess. You’re blessed to belong to the most powerful family in the Kingdoms, and you’re still blessed with youth.” — Tywin Lannister
25. “The future of our family will be determined in these next few months. We could establish a dynasty that will last a thousand years, or we could collapse into nothing, as the Targaryens did.” — Tywin Lannister
Tywin Lannister serves as a powerful example to all of us
Lannister was a man in Game of Thrones driven by his desire to control.
His desire for power made him blind.
He wants to maintain his power, but he also wants to control those who would defy him.
Lannister shaves his head in the series because he begins to lose his hair.
He did not want mother nature to decide how his hair should look; he wanted that power.
In the end, his arrogance and hate are what destroy him.
The abuse and disrespect of his youngest son end up destroying him.
He teaches us why we would benefit from not attempting to control those around us.
Lannister believed his children or anyone else could oppose him or threaten his position.
When we allow our ego to control our vision, we can lose sight of what is happening.
Do you have a favorite Tywin Lannister quote?
If so, please be sure to tell us in the comment section below.