These inspirational dragon quotes will encourage you to go on a fantastical adventure.
Dragons are legendary creatures of folklore, fantasy, and mythology.
These incredible serpentine beasts are said to have wings, horns, and the ability to breathe fire.
Do you have a favorite type of dragon?
This collection of dragon quotes will give you a newfound appreciation for the fantastic creatures.
The history of dragons is much deeper and richer than just tales with knights and a princess.
Stories about dragons can be found in nearly every culture around the world.
Chinese dragons, European dragons, and Egyptian dragons are all depicted as different creatures with unique traits and symbolic meanings.
These dragon quotes will highlight the wide range of meanings that people have ascribed to dragons throughout history.
Dragons can represent love, power, spirit, and more.
Read this list of meaningful quotes to unleash your inner dragon.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quote category page has even more inspirational and educational quotes.
Dragon quotes for a fiery spirit about adventure
1. “No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith.” – R.A. Salvatore
2. “My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!” – J.R.R. Tolkien
3. “Happiness is like those palaces in fairy tales whose gates are guarded by dragons: we must fight in order to conquer it.” – Alexandre Dumas
4. “I learned how to comport myself among trolls, elves, hobbits or goblins. I learned that a friend can be lost to greed and avarice. I learned that solving riddles may be as important a survival skill as bowmanship. I know how to talk to a dragon, and that it’s best not to.” – Karen Joy Fowler
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of elf quotes for the Christmas holiday.
5. “You haven’t been bit till a dragon does it.” – Tamora Pierce
6. “It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations if you live near him.” – J. R. R. Tolkien
7. “I’m still a small shrimp, not a dragon.” – Barry Lam
8. “Confidence is like a dragon where, for every head cut off, two more heads grow back.” – Criss Jami
9. “Jealousy, that dragon which slays love under the pretense of keeping it alive.” – Havelock Ellis
10. “Take it from a guy: If you’re in love with somebody, you will swim the stream, you will climb the mountain, you will slay the dragon. You’re going to get to her somehow, some way.” – Phil McGraw
Dragon quotes to encourage you to go on a fantastical adventure
11. “When the prison doors are opened, the real dragon will fly out.” – Ho Chi Minh
12. “I’m kind of honored to be a dragon lady. The dragon is a very powerful, mythical animal.” – Yoko Ono
13. “It’s been a thrilling journey – I have had to really learn that an orchestra is an entity – it’s a creature. I have been calling it the dragon and the conductor is the dragon tamer. And you just have to… ride and don’t let go and you will be fine.” – Tori Amos
14. “Why wouldn’t you be afraid of a Komodo dragon? It’s a dragon. It’s a dinosaur.” – Billy Bob Thornton
15. “In Greek myth, a chimera is a creepy combination of lion, goat, dragon – in humans, chimeras are one person who contains two sets of DNA. That’s right. One person comes up in tests as two different people.” – Susannah Cahalan
16. “Stress is an important dragon to slay – or at least tame – in your life.” – Marilu Henner
17. “This little hobbit saves the world. The wizard kills the dragon and saves the town. So many people connect to that character; it doesn’t matter if it’s an elf or a hobbit or a dwarf. It doesn’t matter. They’re human in their heart and soul.” – R. A. Salvatore
18. “Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon.” – Steven Brust
19. “A poet can write about a man slaying a dragon, but not about a man pushing a button that releases a bomb.” – W. H. Auden
20. “I think women should be more independent. In society, we’re portrayed as people who simply wear make-up and sit around. We need a Princess Charming – a woman who rescues her man and slays the dragon instead of the other way round.” – Adora Svitak
Dragon quotes that will make you appreciate the fantastic creatures
21. “There can be no dragon slayer in the absence of dragons.” – Thomas Chatterton Williams
22. “Becoming a walking, dancing, fire-breathing lifestyle dragon is not something you can pursue overnight! It takes years of studying, living, and understanding the modern culture!” – Theophilus London
23. “No dragon can resist the fascination of riddling talk and of wasting time trying to understand it.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
24. “Nearly all monster stories depend for their success on Jack killing the Giant, Beowulf or St. George slaying the Dragon, Harry Potter triumphing over the basilisk. That is their inner grammar, and the whole shape of the story leads towards it.” – A. N. Wilson
25. “I always wanted to ride a dragon myself, so I decided to do this for a year in my imagination.” – Cornelia Funke
26. “So many people think that if you’re writing fantasy, it means you can just make everything up as you go. Want to add a dragon? Add a dragon! Want some magic? Throw it in. But the thing is, regardless of whether you’re dealing with realism or fantasy, every world has rules. Make sure to establish a natural order.” – V. E. Schwab
27. “Writers can take offense when someone asks what’s real or autobiographical in our work because, to us, that’s not what counts. The bits taken from life are tiny scales on the dragon’s tail – what about that whole beautiful writhing, fire-breathing dragon?” – Michelle Huneven
28. “Really, I have to laugh because there was a whole set of stories that made me sound like the Dragon Lady, you know, ‘tough this and tough that.’ Then there is this business about ‘gooey.’ The bottom line is I am a pragmatic idealist.” – Madeleine Albright
29. “I like Aurora, ‘Sleeping Beauty,’ because she’s just sleeping and looking pretty and waiting for boys to come kiss her. Sounds like a good life – lots of naps and cute boys fighting dragons to come kiss you.” – Ariana Grande
30. “I was a huge bookworm as a kid, and you could usually find me reading something with a dragon on its cover.” – Julie Kagawa
Dragon quotes to unleash your inner beast
31. “It is possible that mankind is on the threshold of a golden age; but, if so, it will be necessary first to slay the dragon that guards the door, and this dragon is religion.” – Bertrand Russell
32. “It was really hard for them to intimidate me. They felt I was intimidating. One of the growers had a name for me: I think it was ‘dragon lady’ or something like it.” – Dolores Huerta
33. “It was always that detail that drove me. Ever since I was a little kid, I used to get into the nitty gritty… when I was drawing army tanks or monsters, I’d do every nut and rivet, and I’d do every scale on the dragon’s back. It was just the way I was built.” – Graeme Base
34. “There were dragons to slay in the old days. Nixon was a good dragon.” – Pat Oliphant
35. “Anything that has a dragon, a wand, pixie dust, fairies, magic, any of that, I love it. I’m obsessed with it, I will read it, I will watch it, I will commit it to memory.” – Frankie Grande
36. “Working with Scorsese was an absolute dream, and one of my favourite ever jobs was ‘Beowulf’ because it was just pure acting. your imagination explodes as you try to imagine you’re fighting a dragon or whatever.” – Ray Winstone
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Martin Scorsese quotes from the iconic director.
37. “I saw the first ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ film with my children, and I found it utterly exhilarating.” – Cate Blanchett
38. “Dragons and legends…It would have been difficult for any man not to want to fight beside a dragon.” – Patricia Briggs
39. “Aging does not make women powerless objects of pity but colorful and entertaining individuals and, on occasion, fire-breathing dragons that wise people don’t cross.” – Florence King
40. “’Game of Thrones’ really is an amazing series. Political intrigue, and then they throw in a little magic. I mean, it’s got a dragon in it.” – Rick Harrison
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of magic quotes about the power of the unseen.
More dragon quotes and sayings
41. “I’m an early bird, partly because I like to have some quiet time and partly because by 9 am emails begin arriving, the phone starts ringing and I have dragons to kill of one sort or another.” – Andrew Motion
42. “Perhaps all the dragons of our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us once beautiful and brave.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
43. “I fell in love with Dungeons & Dragons, and the storytelling of it, and the weird dice, and the fact that it didn’t use a traditional board. It felt like I was a part of something special and almost kind of like a secret club because a lot of people didn’t know what it was and didn’t understand it.” – Wil Wheaton
44. “The age of chivalry is past. Bores have succeeded to dragons.” – Charles Dickens
45. “I believe in everything until it’s disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it’s in your mind. Who’s to say that dreams and nightmares aren’t as real as the here and now?” – John Lennon
46. “The bedrock nature of space and time and the unification of cosmos and quantum are surely among science’s great ‘open frontiers.’ These are parts of the intellectual map where we’re still groping for the truth – where, in the fashion of ancient cartographers, we must still inscribe ‘here be dragons.’” – Martin Rees
47. “The dragon is a very consistent symbol of secret satellite iconography and signals intelligence satellites.” – Trevor Paglen
48. “Dragons are basically our pipe-dreams of what birds would be if they still looked liked ancient dinosaurs but followed evolution’s flight plan.” – Kyle Hill
49. “We’re our own dragons as well as our own heroes, and we have to rescue ourselves from ourselves.” – Tom Robbins
50. “So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their endings.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of snow quotes that celebrate the winter season.
Powerful Dragon Quotes
51. “When the hammer shall fall upon the dragon, a new king shall arise, and none shall stand before him.” — George R. R. Martin.
52. “When there are a hundred dragons in the sky, it is Hell Down and Hallow Fire. It is the winds of a hurricane and the roar of the storm. We blot out the sun, we blacken the clouds, we churn the sea like foam. — H. Leighton Dickson.
53. Above all things, dragons are loyal. Perhaps that is what makes us too amenable to life with sticks. Our characters are larger than their shortfalls.” — H. Leighton Dickson.
54. “The key to having good scales is a healthy diet of venison when you’re just a wee dragon lad.” — Sully Tarnish.
55. “Isn’t it strange how a lamb can feel like a lion when comparing itself to a mouse, whereas a lion feels like a lamb when measuring itself against dragons?” — Richelle E. Goodrich.
56. “A life fuelled by passions is like riding on the back of a dragon.” — Suzy Kassem.
57. “Challenge is a dragon with a gift in its mouth. Tame the dragon and the gift is yours.” — Noela Evans.
58. “It’s hard to stop Muggles from noticing us if we’re keeping dragons in the back garden. Anyway, you can’t tame dragons, it’s dangerous.” — J. K. Rowling
59. “Our biggest fears are like dragons, guarding our deepest treasures.” ― Rainer Maria Rilke
60. “Confidence is similar to a dragon: for every head cut off, two more heads grow back.” ― Criss Jami
Short Dragon Quotes To Inspire Courage
61. “Where are my dragons?” – Daenerys Targaryen
62. “He had only heard of dragons, and although he had never seen one, he was sure they existed.” – Dee Marie.
63. “A dragon would never hurt a soul, unless they tried to hurt him first.” – Draco
64. “Oh well, what’s life without a few dragons?” – Ron Weasley
65. “If the sky could dream, it would dream of dragons.” – Ilona Andrews
66. “If you want to conquer the world, you best have dragons.” – George R. R. Martin
67. “Sleeping on a dragon’s hoard with greedy, dragonish thoughts in his heart, he had become a dragon himself.” – C.S. Lewis.
68. “Slay that dragon once, and he will never have power over you again.” – Steven Pressfield.
69. “If the lion and dragon fight, they will both die.” – Tadashi Adachi
70. “A dragon is not a slave.” – Daenerys Targaryen
Dragon Quotes About Their Powerful Fire Breathing
71. “Everyone wants to live in a fairy tale, but don’t forget there are dragons in those stories.” ― R. Queen
72. “Death comes out of the dragon’s mouth.” ― George R. R. Martin
73. “Come not between the dragon, and his wrath.” ― William Shakespeare
74. “He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
75. “A toad grows wings and thinks he’s a bloody dragon.” ― George R. R. Martin
76. “The hunger of dragons is slow to wake, but hard to sate.” ― Ursula K. Le Guin
77. “A dragon’s heart burns fiercely, even in the face of evil.” ― S. G. Rogers
78. “Never laugh at live dragons.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
79. “People who do not believe in the existence of dragons are often eaten by dragons.” ― Ursula K. Le Guin
80. “He [Viserys] was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon.” ― Daenerys Targaryen
Dragon Quotes To Calm Down Their Anger
81. “Love always wakes the dragon and suddenly flames everywhere.” — Richard Siken
82. “Who need to read about real life when there’s dragons. Come on!” — Maggie Stiefvater
83. “And besides, it drives the dragon crazy when you sing about his downfall even though you are bleeding.” — Allan Boesak
84. “Fighting dragons is my holy joy.” — May Sarton
85. “It simply isn’t an adventure worth telling if there aren’t any dragons.” — J. R. R. Tolkien
86. “You’re chasing the dragon, you’re chasing the high. A bird with one wing, who’s still trying to fly.” — Ozzy Osbourne
87. “There were dragons when I was a boy.” — Cressida Cowell
88. “Shame–what happened when my mother, the dragon, huffed and puffed and blew my self down.” — Brennan Manning
89. “Always be polite to a dragon. It’s harder than it sounds. Dragon etiquette is incredibly complicated, and if you make a mistake, the dragon eats you.” — Patricia C. Wrede
90. “There weren’t butterflies in my stomach, there were fire breathing dragons.” — Emme
What are the best inspirational dragon quotes to read for motivation?
If you’re looking for inspiration, reading powerful quotes about legendary beasts can fill you with strength and confidence.
On the other hand, if you want to laugh and smile, funny dragon quotes or cute dragon quotes are perfect.
Dragons are very diverse creatures that mean a lot of different things to people all around the world.
Whatever pops into your mind when you think of a dragon will vary depending on the culture you grew up in and the media you’ve consumed.
All types of dragons are amazing and magical creatures.
Share this collection of dragon quotes with the fantasy lovers in your life to inspire them.
What are your favorite dragon quotes and sayings about love and fire?
Let us know in the comment section below.
September 21, 2022 6:00 AM EST