Looking for inspirational quotes about change? Boom! #letsgo
There is a saying, that “nothing is consistent but change.”
In all of our lives, I believe we have found this to be true. Changes will always happen, both planned and unexpected.
How we deal with changes that are thrown our way says a lot about who we are as a person and the inner strength and esteem that we have.
We can all use some support and guidance during these times, so I thought I would compile a list of quotes on change, which may be the extra boost you need during these hard, uncertain times.
For more inspiration on your journey of self-awareness and personal development, don’t miss our collection of growth quotes.
Inspirational quotes about change in work, life and love
1. “Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don’t.” ― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
2. “Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
3. “To say goodbye is to die a little.” ― Raymond Chandler, The Long Goodbye
4. “Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody.” ― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
5. “Grief does not change you, Hazel. It reveals you.” ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars (see all meaningful The Fault in Our Stars quotes)
6. “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” ― Margaret Mead
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Margaret Mead quotes challenging societal stereotypes.
7. “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” ― Nelson Mandela
8. “The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.” ― Albert Einstein
9. “Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky
10. “Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change.” ― Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Frankenstein quotes about the trueness of humanity.
11. “Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Rob Siltanen
12. “Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” ― Jalaluddin Rumi
13. “You can’t stop the future
You can’t rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret
…is to press play.” ― Jay Asher, Thirteen Reasons Why
14. “If people refuse to look at you in a new light and they can only see you for what you were, only see you for the mistakes you’ve made, if they don’t realize that you are not your mistakes, then they have to go.” ― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
15. “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” ― Lao Tzu
16. “For what it’s worth: it’s never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start all over again.” ― Eric Roth, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Screenplay
17. “When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not yet ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back. A week is more than enough time for us to decide whether or not to accept our destiny.” ― Paulo Coelho, The Devil and Miss Prym
18. “Love can change a person the way a parent can change a baby- awkwardly, and often with a great deal of mess.” ― Lemony Snicket, Horseradish
19. “The only way that we can live, is if we grow. The only way that we can grow is if we change. The only way that we can change is if we learn. The only way we can learn is if we are exposed. And the only way that we can become exposed is if we throw ourselves out into the open. Do it. Throw yourself.” ― C. JoyBell C.
20. “They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.” ― Andy Warhol, The Philosophy of Andy Warhol
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Andy Warhol quotes that will inspire you to look at the world differently today.
21. “The snake which cannot cast its skin has to die. As well the minds which are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be mind.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
22. “I have accepted fear as part of life – specifically the fear of change… I have gone ahead despite the pounding in the heart that says: turn back….” ― Erica Jong
Famous Quotes About Change and Growth
23. “We can’t be afraid of change. You may feel very secure in the pond that you are in, but if you never venture out of it, you will never know that there is such a thing as an ocean, a sea. Holding onto something that is good for you now, may be the very reason why you don’t have something better.” ― C. JoyBell C.
24. “The present changes the past. Looking back you do not find what you left behind.” ― Kiran Desai, The Inheritance of Loss
25. “Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” ― George Bernard Shaw
26. “Therefore, dear Sir, love your solitude and try to sing out with the pain it causes you. For those who are near you are far away… and this shows that the space around you is beginning to grow vast…. be happy about your growth, in which of course you can’t take anyone with you, and be gentle with those who stay behind; be confident and calm in front of them and don’t torment them with your doubts and don’t frighten them with your faith or joy, which they wouldn’t be able to comprehend. Seek out some simple and true feeling of what you have in common with them, which doesn’t necessarily have to alter when you yourself change again and again; when you see them, love life in a form that is not your own and be indulgent toward those who are growing old, who are afraid of the aloneness that you trust…. and don’t expect any understanding; but believe in a love that is being stored up for you like an inheritance, and have faith that in this love there is a strength and a blessing so large that you can travel as far as you wish without having to step outside it.” ― Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet
27. “We are not trapped or locked up in these bones. No, no. We are free to change. And love changes us. And if we can love one another, we can break open the sky.” ― Walter Mosley, Blue Light
28. “Stepping onto a brand-new path is difficult, but not more difficult than remaining in a situation, which is not nurturing to the whole woman.” ― Maya Angelou
29. “And that is how change happens. One gesture. One person. One moment at a time.” ― Libba Bray, The Sweet Far Thing
30. “We are taught you must blame your father, your sisters, your brothers, the school, the teachers – but never blame yourself. It’s never your fault. But it’s always your fault, because if you wanted to change you’re the one who has got to change.” ― Katharine Hepburn, Me: Stories of My Life
31. “I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” ― Mother Teresa
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of inspiring Mother Teresa quotes on kindness, love, and charity.
32. “You’re always you, and that don’t change, and you’re always changing, and there’s nothing you can do about it.” ― Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book
33. “How would your life be different if…You stopped making negative judgmental assumptions about people you encounter? Let today be the day…You look for the good in everyone you meet and respect their journey.” ― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
34. “Some changes look negative on the surface but you will soon realize that space is being created in your life for something new to emerge.” ― Eckhart Tolle
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of life changing quotes about love, life and death.
35. “In youth, it was a way I had,
To do my best to please.
And change, with every passing lad
To suit his theories.
But now I know the things I know
And do the things I do,
And if you do not like me so,
To hell, my love, with you.” ― Dorothy Parker, The Complete Poems of Dorothy Parke
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Dorothy Parker quotes that will help you uncover life’s secrets.
36. “Believe something and the Universe is on its way to being changed. Because you’ve changed, by believing. Once you’ve changed, other things start to follow. Isn’t that the way it works?” ― Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard
Positive Quotes About Change In Your Life
37. “Certain things, they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye (see other meaningful Catcher in the Rye quotes)
38. “Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.” ― William Jennings Bryan
39. “We are products of our past, but we don’t have to be prisoners of it.” ― Rick Warren, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for?
40. “Why do you want to shut out of your life any uneasiness, any misery, any depression, since after all you don’t know what work these conditions are doing inside you? Why do you want to persecute yourself with the question of where all this is coming from and where it is going? Since you know, after all, that you are in the midst of transitions and you wished for nothing so much as to change. If there is anything unhealthy in your reactions, just bear in mind that sickness is the means by which an organism frees itself from what is alien; so one must simply help it to be sick, to have its whole sickness and to break out with it, since that is the way it gets better.” ― Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet
41. “Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
42. “Keep your best wishes, close to your heart and watch what happens” ― Tony DeLiso, Legacy: The Power Within
43. “There were people who went to sleep last night,
poor and rich and white and black,
but they will never wake again.
And those dead folks would give anything at all
for just five minutes of this weather
or ten minutes of plowing.
So you watch yourself about complaining.
What you’re supposed to do
when you don’t like a thing is change it.
If you can’t change it,
change the way you think about it.” ― Maya Angelou
44. “Fashion changes, but style endures.” ― Coco Chanel
45. “You cannot change what you are, only what you do.” ― Philip Pullman, The Golden Compass
46. “No matter who you are, no matter what you did, no matter where you’ve come from, you can always change, become a better version of yourself.” ― Madonna
More Inspiring Quotes About Change and Moving On
47. “Time takes it all, whether you want it to or not.” ― Stephen King, The Green Mile
48. “Growing up happens when you start having things you look back on and wish you could change” ― Cassandra Clare, City of Ashes
49. “Renew, release, let go. Yesterday’s gone. There’s nothing you can do to bring it back. You can’t “should’ve” done something. You can only DO something. Renew yourself. Release that attachment. Today is a new day!” ― Steve Maraboli, Unapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience
50. “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― R. Buckminster Fuller
51. “Change, like healing, takes time.” ― Veronica Roth, Allegiant
52. “I’m unpredictable, I never know where I’m going until I get there, I’m so random, I’m always growing, learning, changing, I’m never the same person twice. But one thing you can be sure of about me; is I will always do exactly what I want to do.” ― C. JoyBell C.
53. “The person you became with her is worth being.” ― Veronica Roth, Allegiant
54. “I wanted to change the world. But I have found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself.” ― Aldous Huxley, Point Counter Point
55. “Forget yesterday – it has already forgotten you. Don’t sweat tomorrow – you haven’t even met. Instead, open your eyes and your heart to a truly precious gift – today.” ― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
56. “All that you touch
All that you Change
The only lasting truth
God is Change.” ― Octavia E. Butler
57. “The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.” [These words are also inscribed upon his grave] ― Karl Marx, Eleven Theses on Feuerbach
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Karl Marx quotes that inspire critical thinking and questioning of society.
58. “I find the best way to love someone is not to change them, but instead, help them reveal the greatest version of themselves.” ― Steve Maraboli, Unapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience
59. “You’ve changed me forever. And I’ll never forget you.” ― Kiera Cass, The Elite
60. “You can walk away and say “We don’t need this.” but something in your eyes says “We can beat this.” ― Taylor Swift
61. “We are the music-makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams.
World-losers and world-forsakers,
Upon whom the pale moon gleams;
Yet we are the movers and shakers,
Of the world forever, it seems.” ― Arthur O’Shaughnessy, Poems of Arthur O’Shaughnessy
62. “When people are ready to, they change. They never do it before then, and sometimes they die before they get around to it. You can’t make them change if they don’t want to, just like when they do want to, you can’t stop them.” ― Andy Warhol, Andy Warhol in His Own Words
63. “So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.” ― Jon Krakauer, Into the Wild
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Into the Wild Quotes to inspire you.
64. “Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force but through persistence.” ― Ovid
65. “Right now I want a word that describes the feeling that you get–a cold sick feeling, deep down inside–when you know something is happening that will change you, and you don’t want it to, but you can’t stop it. And you know, for the first time, for the very first time, that there will now be a before and an after, a was and a will be. And that you will never again quite be the same person you were.” ― Jennifer Donnelly, A Northern Light
66. “Don’t confuse poor decision-making with destiny. Own your mistakes. It’s ok; we all make them. Learn from them so they can empower you!” ― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
67. “All men make mistakes, but a good man yields when he knows his course is wrong, and repairs the evil. The only crime is pride.” ― Sophocles, Antigone
68. “If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door” ― Milton Berle
69. “She wanted none of those days to end, and it was always with disappointment that she watched the darkness stride forward.”― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of The Book Thief quotes for living with purpose.
Quotes about change and growth
70. Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle. – Napoleon Hill
71. Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning. – Benjamin Franklin
72. “Anyone can stay the same. It takes courage to change.” – John Assaraf
73. “Change is inevitable in life. You can either resist it and potentially get run over by it, or you can choose to cooperate with it, adapt to it, and learn how to benefit from it. When you embrace change you will begin to see it as an opportunity for growth.” – Jack Canfield
74. “There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination, and wonder.” – Ronald Reagan
75. “Change is growth. For me it has been a very spiritual and musical rebirth.” – Lenny Kravitz
76. “All growth depends upon activity. There is no development physically or intellectually without effort, and effort means work.” – Calvin Coolidge
77. Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. – John F. Kennedy
78. Change your thoughts and you change your world. – Norman Vincent Peale
79. There is nothing permanent except change. – Heraclitus
80. Change can be frightening, and the temptation is often to resist it. But change almost always provides opportunities – to learn new things, to rethink tired processes, and to improve the way we work.- Klaus Schwab
Quotes about change to motivate you
81. Change your life today. Don’t gamble on the future, act now, without delay. – Simone de Beauvoir
82. Let us remember: One book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world. – Malala Yousafzai
83. “Life is about change. Sometimes it’s painful. Sometimes it’s beautiful. But most of the time, it’s both.” — Lana Lang
84. “Don’t expect to see a change if you don’t make one.” — Unknown
85. “Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” — Leo Tolstoy
86. “We cannot become what we want by remaining what we are.” — Max Depree
87. “You can’t change what’s going on around you until you start changing what’s going on within you.” – Unknown
88. Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change. – Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
89. Life will only change when you become more committed to your dreams than you are to your comfort zone. – Billy Cox
90. The art of progress is to preserve order amid change and to preserve change amid order. – Alfred North Whitehead
Other inspirational quotes about change
91. Time changes everything except something within us which is always surprised by change. – Thomas Hardy
92. To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly. – Henri Bergson
93. Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.- Stephen Hawking
94. The world hates change, yet it is the only thing that has brought progress. –Charles Kettering
95. Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future. –John F. Kennedy
96. Your success in life isn’t based on your ability to simply change. It is based on your ability to change faster than your competition, customers, and business. – Mark Sanborn
97. “Change is inevitable–except from a vending machine.” –Robert C. Gallagher
98. “The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.” —Kakuzō Okakura, The Book of Tea
99. “I cannot say whether things will get better if we change; what I can say is they must change if they are to get better.” —Georg C. Lichtenberg
100. “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” —Buckminster
What do you think about these quotes about change?
Did any of them strike you? Which ones can you relate to?
I hope these messages and sayings inspired or motivated you in some way. Whether you’re feeling stuck in life, or you have a big decision to make, remember that you can always change your mind. It’s okay to start again.
After all, there are no rules to this thing called life.
May 5, 2019 5:00 AM EST