Make the most of your opportunities with our “when one door closes, another door opens” quotes.
What is the saying when one door closes?
“When one door closes, another door opens” is a quote that reminds us to let go of our disappointment and embrace new opportunities.
Keeping our minds open to new opportunities allows us to
- Keep from remaining stuck in the past.
- Let go of energy that does not serve us.
- Create new opportunities for ourselves.
A lesson from Dr. George Washington Carver
Dr. George Washington Carver was one of the world’s most renowned scientists.
He pioneered new applications for various plants, widely known for revolutionizing the use of the peanut.
Dr. Carver was a man who did not let lost opportunities or setbacks stop him.
As a boy born into the U.S. chattel slave system, he was castrated at a young age.
It was common for American families to be separated from one another, and at one point, a young Carver was sold for a mule.
Dr. Carver had roadblocks that many of us could not imagine, yet he always believed that when one door closes, another door opens.
Dr. Carver once said, “Every one of us has characteristics that make up who we are. Some have faith as a huge part of their lives, others may not. But that is what makes each of us so special.”
He did not judge others who possessed different beliefs. Instead, he celebrates the unique nature of each individual.
His empowered mindset allowed Dr. Carver to see all situations as opportunities.
He knew that even in his lowest or most challenging moment, other opportunities also presented themselves.
How can we open new doors?
When we feel the impact of a loss, it is essential to remember that life is all about ebbs and flows, highs and lows, and wins and losses.
We need the night to appreciate the daytime.
Similarly, we remember that doors always open, even as other doors close.
We just have to give ourselves the room and opportunity to see what is there.
For more thought-provoking and inspiration when one door closes quotes, check out our awesome selections below.
Short “when one door closes, another opens” quotes
Here are some excellent short quotes about new doors opening.
1. “With every door that closes, a new one opens.” — Alexander Graham Bell
2. “An opportunity has hair in front but is bald behind.” — Phaedrus
3. “When one door of happiness closes, another opens.” — Helen Keller
4. “When one door closes, fortune will usually open another.” — Fernando De Rojas
5. “When one closes his mind to understanding, he opens the door to folly.” — Matshona Dhliwayo
6. “There’s a law in life: whenever a door closes, a new one will open.” — Andre Gide
7. “You know what they say, when one door closes, another Belvedere opens.” — Chelsea Handler
8. “When one door opens, another one closes, so carry a lot of door stoppers!” — Julie Darley
9. “When one door closes, sometimes we need to turn the knob to open another.” — J.A. Tran
10. “If one door closes and another door opens, chances are your house is haunted.” — Tanya Masse
Powerful “when one door closes, another door opens” quotes
Check out our insightful when one door closes quotes.
11. “As one door closes, another one shuts.” — Howard Wilkinson
12. “When God closes one door, He slams another in your face.” — Marian Keyes
13. “Don’t be discouraged. When one door closes, you can find an alternative open door.” — Lailah Gifty Akita
14. “Well, when one door closes, another slightly more inconvenient, out-of-the-way one opens. Let’s be off, shall we?” — Tarun Shanker
15. “If one door closes and another does not open, try climbing thru a window. Either way, make your way in.” — Behdad Sami
16. “When one door closes, another slightly more inconvenient, out-of-the-way one opens.” — Kelly Zekas
17. “It is one of life’s laws that as soon as one door closes, another opens. But the tragedy is we look at the closed door and disregard the open one.” — Andre Gide
18. “We must dream of an aristocracy of achievement arising out of a democracy of opportunity.” — Thomas Jefferson
19. “Don’t waste a minute not being happy. If one window closes, run to the next window- or break down a door.” — Brooke Shields
20. “What is opportunity to the man who can’t use it? An unfecundated egg, which the waves of time wash away into nonentity.” — George Eliot
“When one door closes, another door opens” quotes that make you think
Any situation can be turned into an opportunity if we allow doors to open.
21. “If one wants to be loved and return it full score, dagger of silence closes the door.” — David W. Earle
22. “No one ever tells a story to help you figure out where to go when a door closes on you.” — Dan Scanlon
23. “I don’t believe that if one door closes, that’s the end. You’re in control of that, but you need to seek opportunities and prepare for them.” — Michelle Phan
24. “I’m a believer that when one door closes, another one opens. But why does the one opening always hit me full-speed-knob-first into my nuts?” — Bob Saget
25. “If there is no God, there is no hereafter. When, therefore, one drives God out of the universe, he closes the door of hope upon himself.” — William Jennings Bryan
26. “Opportunity rarely knocks until you are ready. And few people have ever been really ready without receiving the opportunity’s call.” — Channing Pollock
27. “When one door closes, another one is supposed to open, but, if it doesn’t, you can always climb out the window.” — Anonymous
28. “When one door closes, another door opens, but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.” — Alexander Graham Bell
29. “When one door closes, another one opens, but if you keep looking back at the closed one, you’ll never see the one that’s open ahead of you.” — Christopher Sharp
30. “Difficulties are opportunities to better things; they are stepping-stones to greater experience. When one door closes, another always opens; as a natural law, it has to, to balance.” — Jack Canfield
Insightful “when one door closes, another door opens” quotes
When one door closes, make sure you check the windows too.
31. “When one door closes, another door opens.” — Helen Keller
32. “When one door closes, another slams shut in your face.” — Tommy Docherty
32. “When one door closes, a window opens, and then zombies pile in and bite you in the ass.” — Anonymous
33. “If one door closes, another opens. As far as you’re growing and updating yourself, the world craves to have a piece of you.” — Assegid Habtewold
34. “Then Father Vito gave me this verse for my meditation: ‘When God opens a door, no one closes it; when God closes it, no one opens it.’” — Simone Troisi
35. “Don’t let failure or disappointment cut you off from God or make you think the future is hopeless. When God closes one door, He often opens another, if we seek it.” — Billy Graham
36. “One can go back to one’s own home after a year’s absence, and immediately the door closes. It is as if one had never been away. Or one can go back after a few hours and everything is so changed that one is a stranger.” — Graham Greene
37. “When one door closes, find another. Kylie gazed back up. And what if there isn’t another door? Then you try the window. And if there’s not a window? Kylie asked. Then you find a sledgehammer and make a window.” — C.C. Hunter
38. “I believe death is only a door. One closes, and another opens. If I were to imagine heaven, I would imagine a door opening. And he would be waiting for me there.” — David Mitchell
39. “As one door closes, another opens, some do say, but at times, when panic is born, all doors are blown asunder, hope driven all but fully under, and in the back of young, impressionable minds.” — Rosca Marx
40. “When one door closes, another opens. Expect that new door to reveal even greater wonders and glories, and surprises. Feel yourself grow with every experience. And look for the reason for it.” — Eileen Caddy
Motivational “when one door closes, another door opens” quotes
We are never trapped. There are always routes to take.
41. “When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” — Helen Keller
42. “Some say that when one door closes, another opens, but rarely do they tell you about the secret trap door under the rug. It is like a reset button.” — Anonymous
43. “If you feel as if your legs have been cut from underneath you, get back up. If a door closes, don’t spend time staring at it. Be at peace and look for the open one. It’ll be there. Then, walk through it into the next phase of your life.” — Jake Byrne
44. “When one door closes, another opens, but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one that has opened for us.” — Alexander Graham Bell
45. “Not all failures are failures, as not all successes are successes! Arise! Always, a better one will be around the next corner! When one door closes, another one opens!” commanded Goddess.” — Vel
46. “God never closes one door in our lives without opening a new one. Many times it’s a much better road for us behind that new door, if we just trust in his love for us and take the new path.” — Heather McBride
47. “I do not believe that when one door closes, another opens. I believe that when one door closes, you should just check out a whole new neighborhood.” — Anonymous
48. “What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one’s ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully.” — Charles Victor Cherbuliez
49. “I know when one door closes, God will open up another door. What was meant for my harm, God will use it to my advantage. I’m not only coming out, I will come out better off than I was before.” — Joel Osteen
50. “Faith brings clarity. You stop asking why and prepare for when. You accept that life’s biggest disappointments can become the greatest blessings; when one door closes, another opens. When it does, step through fearlessly! If you walk in faith, you will not get lost.” — Carlos Wallace
Who first said when one door closes, another door opens?
Many claim this famous quote, and many others have beautifully reinterpreted it.
However, the person to have used it first in a published work was inventor Alexander Graham Bell.
Bell’s quote reminds us of the importance of how we perceive ourselves.
How we perceive ourselves is vital to our experience.
Getting caught up in disappointment when a door closes is easy.
Focusing on the closed door can take our eyes off new opportunities that could be there.
If we think there is only one way our goals can happen, we limit all of the other ways our desires can manifest.
If we already have it made up in our minds that when one door closes, so do all the other doors, we limit potential opportunities from presenting themselves.
Options are always present; sometimes, we must shift our gauze or vision to see them.
Please, be sure to tell us your favorite “when one door closes, another door opens” quotes and sayings below in the comments.