Take a moment and get cozy with our apartment quotes.
The history and concept of the apartment is an interesting one.
Check out our apartment quotes below to learn more.
You might also enjoy these related articles:
What are apartments?
An apartment is a self-contained housing unit that occupies part of a building.
Apartments can be single or multi-story structures.
Check out these international names for apartments below:
- In Australia, apartments are called units.
- In England, India, and South Africa, apartments are called flats.
- In the US, they are referred to as apartments, cooperatives, or co-ops.
Apartments come in many forms and have different types of tenure.
There are condominiums, leasehold estates, owner-occupants, and public housing.
Where does the word apartment come from?
The word apartment comes from the French word appartement.
The French word is derived from the Italian word appartimento, which has the root word appartare, which means separate.
The word apartment became popular during the 1800s.
Who built the first apartment buildings?
Communal living is as old as humanity.
However, ancient cultures that lived in kingdoms or villages did not necessarily build living complexes the way we think when we think of apartments.
We would have to go back to the Roman Empire to see construction that is similar to our apartment complexes.
The Romans built homes for the wealthy that were known as insulas.
These brick-and-mortar structures were surrounded by roadways and set way out in the country.
The Roman landlords were known to have strict building codes.
When did apartments come to The United States?
In the 1800s, the U.S. developed several tenement buildings.
Prior buildings were not considered apartments because they did not include private bathrooms.
The first proper apartment building was built in 1869.
The building is known as The Stuyvesant and was designed by architect Richard Morris.
The Stuyvesant is considered the first luxury apartment building in New York City.
Were there apartments in Paris?
Yes, New York was not the only big city to develop apartment buildings during the nineteenth century.
Parisian apartments rivaled New York City apartments in every way except for square feet.
To learn more, check out our apartment quotes below.
Short new apartment quotes about getting into your space
A new apartment symbolizes milestone moments in some people’s lives.
1. “My apartment looks like no one lives in it.” — Michael Kors
2. “I’m on my own now. I have my own apartment.” — Kay Panabaker
3. “My apartment reflects my views as an architect.” — Bernard Tschumi
4. “Canada is like a loft apartment over a really great party.” — Robin Williams
5. “I’m the biggest slob in the world. My apartment is a mess.” — Monica Keena
6. “My home is in Chicago, but I have an apartment in Los Angeles.” — Bonnie Hunt
7. “I don’t even listen to rap. My apartment is too nice to listen to rap in.” — Kanye West
8. “An example of good debt is the debt on the apartment houses I own.” — Robert Kiyosaki
9. “I installed a skylight in my apartment; the people who live above me are furious!” — Steven Wright
10. “The inner spaces that a good story lets us enter are the old apartments of religion.” — John Updike
Famous I love my apartment quotes for when you find the perfect place
Finding the perfect apartment is difficult, but it’s worth rejoicing when you do.
11. “I no longer want to live in an apartment furnished with forklifts and backhoes.” — Nicholson Baker
12. “I’ve recently started composting in my apartment, which is quite an adventure.” — Shalom Harlow
13. “I had been looking for a New York apartment, but I said, Why not give LA a go?” — Mira Sorvino
14. “I don’t live in the papal residence. I live in a simple apartment behind the Vatican gas station.” — Pope Francis
15. “I can pay my rent now. I guess I could always do that, but now I can get an apartment with heat.” — Kevin Eubanks
16. “When I got divorced and moved into an apartment, I started keeping the TV on, just for company.” — Mark Harmon
17. “In fact, I had previously helped train one of the FBI agents who searched my apartment.” — Steven Hatfill
18. “I like to put on hardcore when I have to clean my apartment, which I hate to do, but it’s motivational.” — Peter Steele
19. “My apartment is my stage, and my bedroom is my stage – they’re just not stages you’re allowed to see.” — Lady Gaga
20. “I’m in a loft, and the kitchen is in the very center of the apartment. The whole place revolves around it.” — Ted Allen
Apartment quotes and sayings about getting comfortable where you live
Our apartments become the space where we seek comfort during difficult times.
21. “My roommate got a pet elephant. Then it got lost. It’s in the apartment somewhere.” — Steven Wright
22. “I’m a teenager, but I’m independent. I have my own apartment; I have my own life.” — Adriana Lima
23. “Like many alcoholics, I was a staggering woman in a chic apartment, sick and utterly disgusting.” — Mercedes McCambridge
25. “I found myself serving a sentence of public denial from the very second the raid on my apartment happened.” — Jock Sturges
26. “Apartment living is tough action. Just the whole idea that you share a washer and dryer always freaked me out.” — Joe Rogan
27. “All my life, I never really felt comfortable anywhere in New York, except maybe in an apartment somewhere.” — Martin Scorsese
28. “The best thing I’ve ever taken from a set is the rug in Owen and Cristina’s apartment on Grey’s Anatomy before they broke up.” — Sandra Oh
30. “There was just no way I could leave this little Martin guitar in my apartment overnight or even in the afternoon, and expect to find it there when I got back.” — Steve Forbert
The best apartment quotes on loud music and sensitive neighbors
Living so close to other people can have its upsides and downs.
31. “It just seemed too weird to me. I don’t know; maybe they were smoking a joint in the car downstairs from their parent’s apartment.” — Marc Jacobs
32. “When I was 11, I realized that I did not have to live the life my mother had: school, marriage, children, apartment, summer house.” — Maj Sjowall
33. “Living in an apartment block alone sometimes feels like my room could topple backwards off the building, and no one would notice.” ― Ellen Van Neerven, Heat, and Light
34. “I started out by believing God for a newer car than the one I was driving. I started out believing God for a nicer apartment than I had. Then I moved up.” — Jim Bakker
35. “We ended up all living in a one-bedroom apartment that cost $80 a month and sleeping on the floor. My jacket was my first pillow. We really had nothing at all.” — Randy Meisner
36. “One of my favorite things to do is to play music really loud and dance my butt off in the morning. I’ll do it alone in my apartment. You can’t have a bad day after that.” — Allison Williams
37. “I lived for two years with six girls in an apartment that was built for three people, and it had no heat. We would sleep in our coats and in sleeping bags. And it was great.” — Greta Gerwig
38. “They look outside the windows of their apartment in town and realize they’re not living in a terrace anymore. This is a room full of dreamers who like to go to London for a day.” — Johnny Vegas
39. “My parents used to throw great New Year’s Eve parties. They invited such an eclectic mix of showbiz people. All those cool people were always hanging out at our apartment.” — Ben Stiller
40. “My mom, through my dad, rented the apartment next door to his. He had the lease on both places. But then, she would dress up and act like his maid, a practical maid. No fantasies.” — Trevor Noah
The top apartment quotes about buildings and tenants
Apartments have their charm, but it’s the tenants who give them life.
41. “Let’s take Taylor Swift. She lives in a huge beautiful apartment; she gets limoed everywhere. She’s not seeing what it means to live in New York.” — Awkwafina
42. “You don’t need equipment of any kind to get a good workout in. In fact, you can get a good workout in the smallest of spaces, from a dorm room to a studio apartment to a hotel room.” — Harley Pasternak
43. “When I first became involved with PETA, it was on an ‘issue-by-issue’ basis – they interviewed me in my old apartment about animal abuse in the circus as I sat on a leather sofa.” — Steve-O
44. “The government only makes restrictive rules; they don’t show you what to do so you know, OK, here’s where we need this many apartments, with open space, playgrounds, kindergartens.” — Harry Seidler
45. “The most solitary I ever felt was when I was living in New York. I used to live in Enrico Caruso’s old apartment, and I had a special staircase that took me up to the roof. There was nobody up there.” — Robert Duvall
46. “Sure, my childhood was unusual. All these eccentric, wild people frequented our home: rock stars, drag queens, models, bikers, freaks. But I was not this little rich girl. My mom and I lived in an apartment.” — Liv Tyler
47. “We bought an apartment building and were going to live off the rent money. We rented to people who were on welfare, and a lot of times, they couldn’t pay the rent. We wouldn’t throw them out, so we lost the building.” — Dick York
48. “My connection with Brazil is so abstract. My blood and my way of thinking is Brazilian, but that’s it. I don’t tend to go back to the past, and although I have an apartment there, I rarely visit. When I move, I really move.” — Paulo Coelho
49. ”My son tried to work in films, and he ultimately gave it up; he finally couldn’t make a living. He couldn’t support himself. He worked all the time, and he didn’t make enough money to have a house, have an apartment.” — Jeffrey Jones
50. “About 25 years ago, I was in an apartment and next door; they put on the radio, so I struck the wall with my fist, but they did not put the radio down. I took a tool and banged until I made a hole through the wall. It was like a comedy movie.” — Klaus Kinski
What is the difference between a flat and an apartment?
There is no real difference between a flat and an apartment.
The only difference is the colloquial use of the words in their countries.
In Britain, a flat describes an ordinary apartment without elaborate accommodations.
In the U.S., an apartment is a general term used to describe similar conditions.
Flats and apartments are not the only game in town.
Some people choose to live in lofts, which have expansive open rooms with no absolute separation.
Other people enjoy living in garden apartments, which are spaces with considerable lawn or garden areas within the complex.
Comedian Larry David attributes his successful comedy style to growing up in apartments.
He laments, “It has to do, think, with growing up in an apartment, with my aunt and my cousins right next door to me, with the door open, with neighbors walking in and out, with people yelling at each other all the time.”
Do you have a favorite apartment quote or memory?
Be sure to let us know in the comments section below.