These ‘being the bigger person’ quotes offer many ways that you can truly rise above someone else’s pettiness or jealousy.
You can walk away like some of these being the person quotes suggest.
You can practice forgiveness even when people don’t deserve it.
That doesn’t make you weak, it makes you incredibly strong.
This isn’t something you do for the other person—it is something you do for you to remove anger and hate from your life.
If you can manage to help people who have wronged you, after you have forgiven them, you might just be a saint.
These things will make you a better person for sure.
That is really what it means to be a bigger person.
It is not so much about being bigger or better than someone else.
It is about growing past who you were yesterday or being the type of person who actively tries to make the world brighter by shining their light.
Keep reading for some, being the bigger person quotes that are perfect for Instagram!
Don’t forget to also check out these life quotes to live by on success, love, and family.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Explore our complete collection of motivational quotes here.
Being the bigger person quotes for Instagram
1. “Smile in the face of those who hurt you.” — Unknown
2. “Treat people better than they treat you.” — Unknown
You will also enjoy our article on how people treat you quotes.
3. “Never stop being a good person because of bad people.” — Unknown
4. “Being the bigger person shows a great deal of character.” — Unknown
5. “Be selective in your battles, for sometimes peace is better than being right.” — Unknown
6. “Being the bigger person in a situation requires humility and restraint.” ― Aimee Vernon
7. “Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got.” — Robert Brault
8. “No one has ever made himself great by showing how small someone else is.” — Unknown
9. “To truly grow into an adult, you must be the bigger person, not in height, but in attitude.” — Unknown
10. “The first to apologize is the bravest. The first to forgive is the strongest. And the first to forget is the happiest.” — Unknown
Funny being the bigger person quotes
11. “The way to beat them is to stop fighting them.” — Miranda Bailey
12. “Just because someone invites you to drama does not mean you need to RSVP.” — Unknown
13. “Constantly torn between being the bigger person and giving people right what they deserve.” ― Satan’s Mistress
14. “When you’ve taken all you can, walk away. Be the bigger person. Or at least find a bigger person.” ― Molly Harper
15. “EGO is the only requirement to destroy any relationship. So be the bigger person, skip the ‘E’ and let it ‘GO’.” — Unknown
16. Forgiveness is taking the knife out your own back and not using it to hurt anyone else no matter how they hurt you.”
17. “Sometimes being the bigger person means smiling and nodding while fantasizing about punching the other person in the throat.” — Unknown
18. “You ever get tired of being the bigger person? Or tired of being the one who compromises or realize you’ve come so far to settle? Me either.” — Unknown
20. “The best way to show that a stick is crooked is not to argue about it or to spend time denouncing it, but to lay a straight stick alongside it.” ― D.L. Moody
Being the bigger person quotes about being better
21. “Your beliefs don’t make you a better person, your behavior does.” ― Sukhraj S. Dhillon
22. “Being the bigger person just makes you look and seem like a better person.” — Unknown
23. “Being the bigger person will always make you a better person in the long run.” — Unknown
24. “When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” ― Patrick Stump
25. “There is nothing more classy or powerful than showing forgiveness and grace to someone who does not deserve it.” — Unknown
26. “I always thought that being the better person made me a better person. Now I wonder if it’s weak to forgive someone who isn’t sorry.” — Unknown
27. “Don’t get mad. Don’t get even. Do better. Much better. Rise above. Become so engulfed in your own success that you forget it ever happened.” — Unknown
28. “Just because someone puts you down doesn’t mean what they say is true. It only proves that you’re better than them and their negativity.” — Unknown
29. “Be the one who nurtures and builds. Be the one who has an understanding and a forgiving heart, one who looks for the best in people. Leave people better than you found them.” — Unknown
30. “Just about every human being can reflect on his or her past and say, ‘I learned from that hardship.’ I didn’t think I would at the time, but I’m a bigger and better person for having endured it and persevered.” ― Lee Strobel
Being the bigger person quotes to deal with haters and arguments
31. “Don’t argue your path with other people. Walk it.” ― The Lazy Yogi
32. “How beautiful it is to stay silent when someone expects you to be enraged!” ― Rachel Wolchin
33. “Pay no attention to what critics say. A statue has never been erected to a critic.” ― Jean Sibelius
34. “In small arguments, it isn’t about who is right or wrong but who can be the bigger person.” ― David Cuschieri
35. “You don’t have to knock anyone off their game to win yours. It doesn’t build you up to tear others down.” ― Mandy Hale
36. “You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.” — Dita Von Tesse
37. “Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.” ― Mark Twain
38. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” ― Martin Luther King, Jr.
39. “Keep in mind that the true measure of an individual is how he or she treats a person who can do them absolutely no good.” — Ann Landers
40. “Be the bigger person. Let arguments go; not bigger in the sense of pride or knowledge, but to back down, be humble and apologize if needed. Ask yourself before arguing: Who are you trying to prove yourself to? The Almighty knows what’s in your heart; so who else matters? Nobody!” ― Urooj Baloch
Inspirational being the bigger person quotes
41. “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” — Wayne Dyer
42. “The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury.” — Marcus Aurelius
43. “We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” — Abraham Lincoln
44. “No matter how awful someone acts, never drop down to their level. Always be the bigger person and walk away.” — Unknown
45. “Being bigger means you treat others the way you want to be treated, even when they haven’t been that kind to you.” — Unknown
46. “Never sacrifice your class to get even with someone who has none. Let them have the gutter. You take the high road.” — Unknown
47. “Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offence cannot reach it.” ― Rene Descartes
48. “Show respect even to people who don’t deserve it; not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours.” — Dave Willis
49. “Respect is not an obligation nor a favour. It takes a bigger person to give or show some, whether it is returned or not.” ― Unarine Ramaru
50. “An entire sea of water can’t sink a ship unless it gets inside the ship. Similarly, the negativity of the world can’t put you down unless you allow it to get inside you.” — Goi Nasu
Why should it matter if I am being the bigger person?
You might wonder why you should constantly be the bigger person.
The one who has to lose or the person who gets the short end of the stick in every interaction.
It actually isn’t like that!
Look at it like you would a manufacturer’s coupon.
The company gave you a dollar off of their product.
They took a temporary loss.
They lost a dollar, but they might have gained a loyal customer who will buy that product every time.
You might lose in this instance, but it is only temporary and I promise you will learn something that will make you better for knowing that lesson.
Now, if you are always compromising with the same person, then it might be time to go beyond ‘being the bigger person’ and realize that this relationship is toxic.
You do not have to keep conceding to this person, but it might be time to remove them from your life.
They are clearly having a ‘them problem’ and you are not obligated to make it a ‘you problem.’
Being the bigger person doesn’t mean you are a doormat for someone else.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these being the bigger person quotes and sayings?
Why do you think we should strive to be the bigger person?
Share your thoughts in the comment section below!