Deception is one word that can have a big difference in life. As you’ll see from these deception quotes, lies are powerful and can have a long-lasting impact.
Deception is really just a fancy word for lying. There are a lot of other words that we use in place of “lie” such as “fib” or “misleading”. Those words seem to be a little softer and gentler than just calling it what it is—a lie.
While we tend to think of deception as something we do to other people, there are plenty of times when people struggle with deceiving themselves as well. The lies you tell yourself or others are powerful and can have a long-lasting impact on life.
Don’t forget to also check out these liar quotes for when you’ve been deceived.
Deception quotes about lying
1. “Lying is one of the quickest ways to ruin a beautiful relationship.” – Anonymous
2. “I’m not upset that you lied to me. I’m upset that from now on I can’t believe you.”- Friedrich Nietzsche
3. “If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.” – Mark Twain
4. “Anything is better than lies and deceit!” – Leo Tolstoy
5. “A lie that is half-truth is the darkest of all lies.” – Alfred Tennyson
6. “No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.” – Abraham Lincoln
7. “No one believes a liar. Even when she’s telling the truth.” – Sara Shepard
8. “Hard truths can be dealt with, triumphed over, but lies will destroy your soul.” – Patricia Briggs
9. “For every good reason there is to lie, there is a better reason to tell the truth.” – Bo Bennett
10. “A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.” – Winston Churchill
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of lies quotes for healing and moving on.
11. “The worst of all deceptions is self-deception.” – Plato
12. “We lie best when we lie to ourselves.” – Stephen King
13. “Avoidance of self-deception is a matter of integrity not comfort.” – Orrin Woodward
14. “When we successfully deceive others, they are not aware of it; the same is true with self-deception.” – Mardy Grothe
15. “Cheating in school is a form of self-deception. We go to school to learn. We cheat ourselves when we coast on the efforts and scholarship of someone else.” — James E. Faust
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of cheating quotes that will empower you during this difficult time.
16. “If it is necessary sometimes to lie to others, it is always despicable to lie to oneself.” – W. Somerset Maugham
17. “Self-deception helps us deceive.” – David Livingstone
18. “Self-deception can be more comforting than self-knowledge. We like to fool ourselves.” – Russ Roberts
19. “Nothing is so difficult as not deceiving oneself.” – Ludwig Wittgenstein
20. “Self-deception is nature; hypocrisy is art.” – Mason Cooley
Deception quotes to help you understand it
21. “I have always considered it as treason against the great republic of human nature, to make any man’s virtues the means of deceiving him.” – Samuel Johnson
22. “The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.” – Leonardo da Vinci
23. “An offended heart is the breeding ground of deception.” – John Bevere
24. “The essence of lying is in deception, not in words.” – John Ruskin
25. “Politicians are masters of the art of deception.” – Martin L. Gross
26. “While all deception requires secrecy, all secrecy is not meant to deceive.” – Sissela Bok
27. “People always overdo the matter when they attempt deception.” – Charles Dudley Warner
28. “It’s a sad day when the leaders of the free world engage in such deception and trickery. I voted against this unnecessary war and will continue to argue that the best way to support our troops is to bring them home.” – Major Owens
29. “The point of painting is not really deception or imitation.” – A.S. Byatt
30. “It’s the great deception in modern culture: Bad things call for noble names to cloak their evil outcomes.” – Greg Gutfeld
Thought-provoking deception quotes
31. “Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.” – Oscar Wilde
32. “Deception may give us what we want for the present, but it will always take it away in the end.” – Rachel Hawthrone
33. “Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools that don’t have brains enough to be honest.” – Benjamin Franklin
34. “Deceivers are the most dangerous members of society. They trifle with the best affections of our nature and violate the most sacred obligations.” – George Crabble
35. “The reason we bitterly hate those who deceive us is that they think they are cleverer than we are.” – François de La Rochefoucauld
36. “It is discouraging how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit.” – Noel Coward
37. “People always overdo the matter when they attempt deception.” – Charles Dudley Warner
38. “All deception in the course of life is indeed nothing else but a lie reduced to practice, and falsehood passing from words into things.” – Robert Southey
39. “Reality is easy. It’s deception that’s the hard work.” – Lauryn Hill
40. “We are never deceived; we deceive ourselves.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
More deception quotes
41. “All war is based on deception.” – Sun Tzu
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Sun Tzu quotes from the iconic warrior and philospher.
42. “Nationalism is power-hunger tempered by self-deception.” – George Orwell
43. “Deception is the knowledge of kings.” – Cardinal Richelieu
44. “Men still have to be governed by deception.” – Georg C. Lichtenberg
45. “Nothing is so boring as having to keep up a deception.” – E. V. Lucas
46. “Only one deception is possible in the infinite sense, self-deception.” – Soren Kierkegaard
47. “Deceit is the false road to happiness; and all the joys we travel through to vice, like fairy banquets, vanish when we touch them.” – Aaron Hill
48. “A man is sometimes better off deceived about the one he loves, than undeceived.” – François de La Rochefoucauld
49. “Self-deceit is a most damaging trait.” – Scott Kahn
50. “We learn to deceive ourselves while we are trying to deceive others.” – Sidney Jourard
What did you learn from these deception quotes?
Which side of the coin do you tend to fall on? Are you the deceiver or the deceived? It’s very well possible that you’ve been on both sides.
There is no place for deception in relationships. And if you’re deceiving yourself in some areas of your life, it’s in your best benefit to face them head-on and start correcting them instead of continuing on the path you’re on.
If you struggle to make a change, keep these deception quotes in mind and use them as an encouragement to rid deception from your life once and for all.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these deception quotes and sayings? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
November 19, 2020 7:00 AM EST