These fireworks quotes are perfect for captioning your Instagram photos, describing your relationships, and even getting through various life events.
If you are an American, you are no stranger to fireworks on the 4th of July.
Whether you set some off yourself, watch a display in the park, or get upset with the people who light them off all month long, they are an annual part of your life.
The history of fireworks is interesting, and as an American, their origin might shock you!
So, just where did fireworks first originate? What purpose did they serve?
While Americans (and many other countries) use them to kick off celebrations like the 4th of July and New Year’s, their original intent was to ward off evil spirits.
Most historians believe fireworks were originally developed in the second century B.C. in ancient Liuyang, China.
Keep reading through these fireworks quotes to learn more about the earliest fireworks!
Also, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily wisdom.
See the rest of our quote database for even more inspirational ideas and thoughts.
Fireworks quotes that are perfect for Instagram
Want to caption that awesome selfie that reveals your inner spark with the perfect words? Then these fireworks quotes are just what you are looking for.
1. “Taking off like fireworks.” — Unknown
You will also enjoy our article on John Wick quotes.
2. “Keep calm and sparkle on.” — Unknown
3. “Every firework begins with a spark.” — Unknown
4. “Sparkling so hard, I could be a firework.” — Unknown
5. “Pretty sure I was a sparkler in another life.” — Unknown
6. “Don’t let anyone ever dull your sparkle.” — Marilyn Monroe
7. “We seek the fire of the spark that is already within us.” ― Kamand Kojouri
8. “If Paris is a city of lights, Sydney is the city of fireworks.” — Baz Luhrmann
9. “Everyone has the fire, but the champions know when to ignite the spark.” ― Amit Ray
10. “You may be a redneck if… your lifetime goal is to own a fireworks stand.” — Jeff Foxworthy
You are like (or better than) fireworks quotes
We are all special and unique and beautiful. There is an inner spark in all of us just waiting to burst free in the sky!
11. “The sky lights up with fireworks when you follow your dreams.” ― Avijeet Das
12. “…now I’m a spent firework; but at least I’ve been a firework.” — David Mitchell
13. “The fireworks begin today. Each diploma is a lighted match. Each one of you is a fuse.” — Ed Koch
14. “You have to find what sparks a light in you so that you in your own way can illuminate the world.” — Oprah Winfrey
15. “You are like fireworks. You go out into your children, your friends, your society, and the whole world.” — Nhat Hanh
16. “One example of a solid but inexplicable fact, ruling all human affairs – your fireworks won’t go off while the crowd is around.” — Jerome K. Jerome
17. “You’re much better than fireworks. They’re all over in a moment, and you’re going to stay for a fortnight. Besides, fireworks are noisy, and they make too much smoke.” — Kate Ross
18. “Fun can happen on the interior. Nobody knows about it, but there are fireworks going on inside your spirit when you hear a great orchestra playing great music.” — David Ogden Stiers
19. “I ignite the wick, and the firework takes flight. In that moment, I wish my existence were as simple as being set on fire and exploding in the sky.” ― Adam Silvera, More Happy Than Not
20. “We are like fireworks… rising, shining and finally… scattering and fading. So until that moment comes when we vanish like fireworks… let us sparkle brightly… always.” ― Tite Kubo, Bleach, Volume 20
Fireworks quotes about life
These fireworks quotes can relate to a variety of situations in your life. If you are looking for some inspiration to let your light shine or need a reminder that there is good in the world, then these are for you!
21. “Laughter is the fireworks of the soul.” — Josh Billings
22. “There should be fireworks at last, when a dream dies.” — Kirby Larson
23. “Against a dark sky, all flowers look like fireworks.” — Gilbert K. Chesterton
24. “Leave the fireworks for those who cast no spark of their own.” — Karen Abbott
25. “Because beautiful things never last. Not roses nor snow and not fireworks, either.” — Jennifer Donnelly
26. “In childhood the daylight always fails too soon—except when there are going to be fireworks.” — Jan Struther
27. “Don’t look to the sky for fireworks when you can watch them light up in the eyes of all the people passing by.” — Tyler Kent
28. “The world needed more fireworks- especially now that there was going to be a shortage of beautiful, useless things.” — Scott Westerfeld
29. “Wholeness is ordinary, it’s simple. It doesn’t come with fireworks. It’s the undisturbed calmness inherent to the space that is you.” — Laurie Buchanan
30. “Life isn’t always about fireworks. Your fireworks will come, Sarah. And they’ll fizzle out just as fast. Life’s an experience, not a destination. All of us have the same destination, but not one of us has an identical experience. You’ll find someone who will be there when the fireworks fizzle out and the sky turns black and love you just the same. That’s the one to hold onto.” ― Marilyn Grey, Bloom
Fireworks quotes about love and sex
Most of us want fireworks in the bedroom or in our relationships. However, real love is not fireworks all the time. These fireworks quotes about love and sex explain the complexity of relationships perfectly.
31. “Sometimes love isn’t fireworks. Sometimes, love just comes softly.” — Janette Oke
32. “A good relationship is like fireworks: loud, explosive, and liable to maim you if you hold on too long.” — Jeph Jacques
33. “When someone that you love dies… it’s like fireworks suddenly burning out in the sky and everything going black.” — Muriel Barbery
34. “Fireworks can make us both happy and sad. It just depends if we are talking about fireworks in the sky or fireworks with another.” — Anthony T. Hincks
35. “When you meet someone so different from yourself, in a good way, you don’t even have to kiss to have fireworks go off.” ― Lisa Schroeder, I Heart You, You Haunt Me
36. “And she learned that you couldn’t stockpile anything that mattered, really. Feelings, people, songs, sex, fireworks: they existed only in time, and when it was over, so were they.” ― Garth Risk Hallberg, City on Fire
37. “Love is like light and there are two kinds, the bursting fireworks of the moment and the solid, fixed stars that sometimes become obscured in the heavens, but are always there, year after year, for a lifetime.” — Ann Rinaldi
38. “About fireworks? About love. About how we often mistake love for fireworks—for drama and dysfunction. But real love is very quiet, very still. It’s boring, if seen from the perspective of high drama.” ― Alex Michaelides, The Silent Patient
39. “It was the first time! Just because there weren’t fireworks the first time doesn’t mean there will never be fireworks. We’re human; we’re adults; we teach each other; we communicate; fireworks don’t just go off, wham-bang; fireworks evolve!’ ― Marisa de los Santos, Love Walked In
40. “I know what love is. When you find the person you are supposed to love, bells ring and fireworks go off in your head and you can’t find the words to speak and you think about him all the time. When you find the person you are supposed to love, you will know by staring deeply into their eyes.” — Jodi Picoult
More fireworks quotes to spark your mind
These fireworks quotes will get you thinking and spark emotions in your mind. They are easy to relate to and enlightening.
41. “Financial crises are like fireworks: they illuminate the sky even as they go pop.” — James Buchan
42. “I guess we all like to be recognized not for one piece of fireworks but for the ledger of our daily work.” — Neil Armstrong
43. “Spring is not a season; it is a mysterious illusionist who sets off fireworks in the depths of our soul!” — Mehmet Murat Ildan
44. “Every reader wants the same thing: to open the cover of a book and watch the words explode like fireworks off the page.” — Kim Lehman
45. “All architecture is great architecture after sunset; perhaps architecture is really a nocturnal art, like the art of fireworks.” — Gilbert K. Chesterton
46. “We shall go wild with fireworks… And they will plunge into the sky and shatter the darkness. We don’t have any fireworks that big.” — Natsuki Takaya
47. “Let it all out. If only I could. Letting it all out would involve me exploding like a firework, a beautiful riot of rainbow sparks bouncing around the car and lighting up the entire lot.” — Nick Burd
48. “My early childhood memories center around this typical American country store and life in a small American town, including Fourth of July celebrations marked by fireworks and patriotic music played from a pavilion bandstand.” — Frederick Reines
49. “We are all… children of this universe. Not just Earth, or Mars, or this system, but the whole grand fireworks. And if we are interested in Mars at all, it is only because we wonder over our past and worry terribly about our possible future.” — Ray Bradbury
50. “We launch our souls from the cannons of art and discipline, and on any one night, hovering over the chimney tops of Europe, halfway to the stars, there are armies of brightly spinning spirits that have risen like fireworks, tethered to the souls of those men and women who, by reflection, mortification, and devotion, effortlessly outdazzle kings.” — Mark Helprin
Fireworks Quotes for Memorable Moments
51. “Women, somehow, have the same fear of witty men as of fireworks.” — Douglas William Jerrold
52. “The Sputnik is just to me like a firework, a rocket, a new invention.” — Malcolm Muggeridge
53. “This car is more fun than the entire French air force crashing into a firework factory.” — Jeremy Clarkson
54. “The car bomb was fertilizer, gasoline, fireworks and propane tanks…still safer than a Toyota.” — Bill Maher
55. “Here, in L.A., trust me, there will be fireworks from the canapés right through to the desserts.” — Gordon Ramsay
56. “Our whole wedding cost 180 bucks. Afterward, we re-heated lasagna for everyone and set off fireworks.” — Larry the Cable Guy
57. “Joy explodes throughout the book of Psalms like fireworks, and is the most potent anti-missile defense system there is.” — Lynn Austin
58. “Giving Papa time to think, as Arty put it, was like pumping random rounds into a fireworks factory. The odds favored dramatic results.” — Katherine Dunn
59. “I think Michigan keeps you sane and on an even keel through the ups and downs. In Michigan, I do fireworks, shovel snow and live life.” — Jeff Daniels
60. “I’m most excited about going swimming and riding water slides, shooting off fireworks, and playing basketball, and things like that. That’s what I really love doing. Summer is a great time.” — Girl Talk
61. “Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery acid, the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the other one off.” ― Tommy Cooper
62. “I love to go get fireworks, even though some of them are illegal.” ― Carmen Electra
63. “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.” ― Abraham Lincoln
64. “I like fireworks too, but I set them off in gardens or kebab stands. I never set fire to my own house.” ― Zlatan Ibrahimovic
65. “Miss Marilyn Monroe calls to mind the bouquet of a fireworks display, eliciting from her awed spectators an open-mouthed chorus of ohs and ahs.” ― Cecil Beaton
66. “I’ve had plenty of good times and have settled peacefully into quite a boring existence that I love. I had enough fireworks and chaos. It is a blissful boring life, believe me.” ― Dax Shepard
67. “Assuming what people want is about as controlled as using fireworks to start a fire.” ― Criss Jami
68. Happy white peoples independence day the slaves weren’t free but I’m sure they enjoyed fireworks.” ― Chris Rock
69. “Well, not all magic is fireworks and fanfare. Sometimes magic is quiet and sneaks up on you.” ― Jeff Guinn
70. “Light me up, go ahead and light me up.” ― Taylor Swift
A more in-depth look at the history of fireworks
Now that you know that fireworks most likely started in China, the early fireworks will make a little more sense.
We believe that the first natural “firecrackers” were bamboo stalks!
When people tossed the wood into a fire, it would explode with a large bang.
This is because the hollow air pockets in the bamboo would overheat.
Now, you might think that a little bang and popping noise is nothing like the fireworks we see today.
Today’s fireworks are massive Pyro-technical displays of art. However, just like with everything else, we all have to start somewhere!
It would be many years later, before the first man-made firework was invented.
During the period 600-900 AD, historians believe a Chinese alchemist mixed potassium nitrate, sulfur, and charcoal together.
This yielded a black powdery substance—the first “gunpowder.”
They poured this powder into the hollowed-out bamboo sticks, and voila—fireworks!
Later, the gunpowder was packed into stiff paper tubes.
Europe was exposed to fireworks in the 13th century, and by the 15th century, Europeans used them for religious festivals and public entertainment.
Early U.S. settlers brought their love of fireworks with them to their new home across the ocean.
Fireworks were part of the very first Independence Day, with John Adams saying he hoped Americans would celebrate “with pomp, parade… bonfires, and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other.”
Do you have some other fireworks quotes to add to the list? Let us know in the comment section below!