Looking for 4th of July quotes to inspire you and get you into the spirit to honor America’s Independence Day?
The 4th of July is a day for Americans to celebrate our freedom, independence, and togetherness. It’s a day for us to recognize how blessed we are to live in “the land of the free.”
So to help you celebrate, we’ve put together these 4th of July quotes to honor our freedom and independence.
Remember to also check out our list of quotes about serving your country and community.
4th of July Quotes to Celebrate Our Freedom and Independence
1. “Each of us deserves the freedom to pursue our own version of happiness. No one deserves to be bullied.” ―
2. “The American flag represents all of us and all the values we hold sacred.” – Adrian Cronauer
3. “America means opportunity, freedom, power.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
4. “We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it.” – William Faulkner
5. “I love my freedom. I love my America.” – Jessi Lane Adams
6. “The American flag is the symbol of our freedom, national pride, and history.” – Mike Fitzpatrick
7. “Liberty is the breath of life to nations.” – George Bernard Shaw
8. “I do not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.” – Voltaire
9. “Only in America can someone start with nothing and achieve the American Dream. That’s the greatness of this country.” – Rafael Cruz
10. “Independence now and forever!” – Daniel Webster
11. “We’re blessed with the opportunity to stand for something—for liberty and freedom and fairness. And these are things worth fighting for, worth devoting our lives to.” – Ronald Reagan
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Ronald Reagan quotes from the former United States President.
4th of July Quotes about liberty and rights
12. “May we think of freedom not as the right to do as we please, but as the opportunity to do what is right.” – Peter Marshall
13. “Where liberty dwells, there is my country.” – Benjamin Franklin
14. “Those who won our independence believed liberty to be the secret of happiness and courage to be the secret of liberty.” – Louis D. Brandeis
15. “I’d like to be remembered as a person who wanted to be free and wanted other people to be also free.” – Rosa Parks
16. “From every mountainside. Let Freedom ring.” ― Samuel F. Smith
17. “With freedom comes responsibility.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
18. “Freedom is never granted. It is earned by each generation.” – Hillary Clinton
4th of July Quotes about freedom
19. “I love my freedom. I love my America.” – Jessi Lane Adams
20. “Freedom is one of the deepest and noblest aspirations of the human spirit.” – Ronald Reagan
21. “Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better.” – Albert Camus
22. “May the sun in his course visit no land more free, more happy, more lovely than this our own country!” – Daniel Webster
23. “America, to me, is freedom.” – Willie Nelson
24. “In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
25. “The history of free men is never really written by chance but by choice; their choice!” – President Dwight D. Eisenhower
26. “Life without liberty is like a body without spirit.” – Kahlil Gibran
27. “Humanity has won its battle. Liberty now has a country.” – Marquis de Lafayette
28. “We, the People, recognize that we have responsibilities as well as rights; that our destinies are bound together; that a freedom which only asks what’s in it for me, a freedom without a commitment to others, a freedom without love or charity or duty or patriotism, is unworthy of our founding ideals, and those who died in their defense.” – President Barack Obama
29. “Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth.” – President George Washington
If you’re enjoying these quotes, check out our George Washington quotes from America’s first president.
30. “Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.”
– United Nations, Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Other inspirational 4th of July Quotes
31. “Independence means.. enjoying freedom and empowering others too, to let them do so.” – Vikrmn
32. “Liberty isn’t free, despite the fact that we ‘freely’ disregard that fact.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
33. “Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.” – Mahatma Gandhi
34. “Freedom is not license. For the former looks out for the good of ‘all’, while the latter looks out for the good of ‘me’.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
35. “Freedom is viewed as a ‘right’ to those who don’t yet understand that everything is a ‘privilege.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
36. “We all stand for something. And we would be wise to determine what that ‘something’ is because in time we will become ‘some’ of that ‘thing.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
37. “True freedom is impossible without a mind made free by discipline.” – Mortimer J. Adler
38. “It’s not enough to have freedom, one must know how to practice that freedom.” – Abhijit Naskar
39. “Freedom is the atmosphere in which humanity thrives. Breathe it in.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
40. “To celebrate the Fourth of July meant something definite in those days.” – Carol Ryrie Brink
No matter how you’re celebrating this festive summer holiday, we hope these 4th of July quotes will leave you feeling inspired, independent and patriotic.
But even as we celebrate this Fourth of July, and enjoy the summer, let’s not forget about our shared American history and the significance of the day.
February 24, 2021 6:00 AM EST