4th of July Quotes that Honor Freedom and Independence
July 4, 2022 8:00 AM EST
Looking for 4th of July quotes to inspire you and get you in the spirit to honor America’s Independence Day?
The 4th of July is a day for Americans to celebrate our freedom, independence, and togetherness.
It’s a day for us to recognize how blessed we are to live in “the land of the free.”
So to help you celebrate, we’ve put together these 4th of July quotes to honor our freedom and independence.
Remember to also check out our list of quotes about serving your country and community.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
4th of July quotes to celebrate our freedom and independence
1. “Independence now and forever!” ― Daniel Webster
2. “I love my freedom. I love my America.” ― Jessi Lane Adams
3. “Liberty is the breath of life to nations.” ― George Bernard Shaw
4. “America means opportunity, freedom, power.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
5. “I do not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.” ― Voltaire
6. “The American flag represents all of us and all the values we hold sacred.” ― Adrian Cronauer
7. “We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it.” ― William Faulkner
8. “The American flag is the symbol of our freedom, national pride, and history.” ― Mike Fitzpatrick
9. “Each of us deserves the freedom to pursue our own version of happiness. No one deserves to be bullied.” ― Barack Obama
10. “Only in America can someone start with nothing and achieve the American Dream. That’s the greatness of this country.” ― Rafael Cruz
11. “We’re blessed with the opportunity to stand for something—for liberty and freedom and fairness. And these are things worth fighting for, worth devoting our lives to.” ― Ronald Reagan
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Ronald Reagan quotes from the former United States President.
4th of July quotes about liberty and rights
12. “With freedom comes responsibility.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt
13. “Where liberty dwells, there is my country.” ― Benjamin Franklin
14. “From every mountainside. Let Freedom ring.” ― Samuel F. Smith
15. “Freedom is never granted. It is earned by each generation.” ― Hillary Clinton
16. “I’d like to be remembered as a person who wanted to be free and wanted other people to be also free.” ― Rosa Parks
17. “May we think of freedom not as the right to do as we please, but as the opportunity to do what is right.” ― Peter Marshall
18. “Those who won our independence believed liberty to be the secret of happiness and courage to be the secret of liberty.” ― Louis D. Brandeis
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of Declaration of Independence quotes.
4th of July quotes about freedom
19. “America, to me, is freedom.” ― Willie Nelson
20. “I love my freedom. I love my America.” ― Jessi Lane Adams
21. “Life without liberty is like a body without spirit.” ― Kahlil Gibran
22. “Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better.” ― Albert Camus
23. “Freedom is one of the deepest and noblest aspirations of the human spirit.” ― Ronald Reagan
24. “In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
25. “May the sun in his course visit no land more free, more happy, more lovely than this our own country!” ― Daniel Webster
26. “The history of free men is never really written by chance but by choice; their choice!” ― President Dwight D. Eisenhower
27. “Humanity has won its battle. Liberty now has a country.” ― Marquis de Lafayette
28. “We, the People, recognize that we have responsibilities as well as rights; that our destinies are bound together; that a freedom which only asks what’s in it for me, a freedom without a commitment to others, a freedom without love or charity or duty or patriotism, is unworthy of our founding ideals, and those who died in their defense.” ― President Barack Obama
29. “Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth.” ― President George Washington
If you’re enjoying these quotes, check out our George Washington quotes from America’s first president.
30. “Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.” ― United Nations, Universal Declaration of Human Rights
You might also like these fireworks quotes to light your world.
Other inspirational 4th of July quotes
31. “True freedom is impossible without a mind made free by discipline.” ― Mortimer J. Adler
32. “Freedom is the atmosphere in which humanity thrives. Breathe it in.” ― Richelle E. Goodrich
33. “To celebrate the Fourth of July meant something definite in those days.” ― Carol Ryrie Brink
34. “It’s not enough to have freedom, one must know how to practice that freedom.” ― Abhijit Naskar
35. “Independence means.. enjoying freedom and empowering others too, to let them do so.” ― Vikrmn
36. “Liberty isn’t free, despite the fact that we ‘freely’ disregard that fact.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
37. “Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
38. “Freedom is viewed as a ‘right’ to those who don’t yet understand that everything is a ‘privilege.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
39. “Freedom is not license. For the former looks out for the good of ‘all’, while the latter looks out for the good of ‘me’.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
40. “We all stand for something. And we would be wise to determine what that ‘something’ is because in time we will become ‘some’ of that ‘thing.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of Independence Day quotes from the movie.
4th of July quotes to celebrate our freedom
41. “My favorite thing about the United States? Lots of Americans, one America.” ― Val Saintsburt
42. “We hold our heads high, despite the price we have paid, because freedom is priceless.” ― Lech Walesa
43. “This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.” ― Elmer Davis
44. “Then join hand in hand, brave Americans all! By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall.” ― John Dickinson
45. “It will be celebrated with pomp and parade, bonfires and illuminations from one end of this continent to the other.” ― John Adams
46. “I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.” ― Abraham Lincoln
47. “I believe in America because we have great dreams, and because we have the opportunity to make those dreams come true.” ― Wendell L. Wilkie
48. “We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls.” ― Robert J. McCracken
49. “Independence Day: freedom has its life in the hearts, the actions, the spirit of men and so it must be daily earned and refreshed – else like a flower cut from its life-giving roots, it will wither and die.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
50. “You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4th, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism.” ― Erma Bombeck
Check out our collection of Flag Day quotes if you enjoy this article.
Happy 4th of July quotes
51. “Dreams are the foundation of America.” — Lupita Nyong’o
52. “America is a tune. It must be sung together.” ― Gerald Stanley Lee
53. “America is another name for opportunity.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
54. “The United States is the only country with a known birthday.” — James G. Blaine
55. “Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.” — George Bernard Shaw
56. “True independence and freedom can only exist in doing what`s right.” — Bringham Young
57. “A real patriot is the fellow who gets a parking ticket and rejoices that the system works.” —Bill Vaughan
58. “I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” ― Patrick Henry
59. “Freedom is the open window through which pours the sunlight of the human spirit and human dignity.” — Herbert Hoover
60. “I always have the most fun on the Fourth of July. You don’t have to exchange any gifts. You just go to the beach and watch fireworks.” — James Lafferty
Which of these 4th of July quotes is your favorite?
No matter how you’re celebrating this festive summer holiday, we hope these 4th of July quotes will leave you feeling inspired, independent and patriotic.
But even as we celebrate this Fourth of July, and enjoy the summer, let’s not forget about our shared American history and the significance of the day.