If someone has ghosted you or if you have been the one to ghost another, our ghosting quotes are perfect for you.
Ghosting is a delicate and often overlooked matter we must deal with at some point.
Tell us which ghosting quote resonated the most with you in the comment section below.
Also, check out this book about never being ghosted again.
What is ghosting?
Ghosting has been around forever.
Ghosting is a nuanced action, and there are many ways in which it can manifest.
People have called it different names in the past, such as “cutting,” “nixing,” or “eighty-sixing,” a connection.
Currently, the colloquial definition of ghosting is the sudden and deliberate termination of a personal relationship with someone without explanation or communication.
People ghost for a variety of reasons; here are some of the most common reasons a person may ghost another:
- Fear of hurting you
- Fear of being hurt
- Convenience of technology
- Low emotional intelligence
Ghosting is frustrating for some people because there is no one size fits all reasoning to explain people’s motives.
However, it is essential to remain judgment-free when it comes to ghosting.
We never know what a person is fully experiencing; some ghosting may be a learned behavior.
Others may have low emotional intelligence, resulting in an inability to understand empathy for another.
They may not comprehend how their actions can hurt another.
Why do people ghost?
Some people fear commitment, others fear a risk, and others may be experiencing mental health symptoms that do not allow them to be emotionally involved with another.
When a person gets ghosted, they need to remember that being ghosted is not a reflection of who they are.
Many times, it is the person who did the ghosting who has a limited belief system to work through.
Check out our wide variety of ghosting quotes below.
Short ghosting quotes
These small messages carry significant meanings.
1. “Endure the present, and watch for better things.” — Virgil
2. “The way they leave tells you everything.” — Rupi Kaur, Answers
3. “If it’s out of your hands, it deserves freedom from your mind too.” — Ivan Nuru
4. “A man wrapped up in himself makes a very small bundle.” — Benjamin Franklin
5. “Never underestimate a man’s ability to make you feel guilty for his mistakes.” — Rihanna
6. “Change is hard at first, messy in the middle, and gorgeous at the end.” — Robin Sharma
8. “If you really want closure, at some point, you have to shut the door.” — Jacki Wells Wunderlin
9. “Real love moves freely in both directions. Don’t waste your time on anything else.” — Cheryl Strayed
10. “I wanted to punch him and understand him at the same time.” ― Shannon A. Thompson, Take Me Tomorrow
Ghosting can have both positive and negative results.
11. “You lose yourself trying to hold on to someone who doesn’t care about losing you.” — Tablo
12. “Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for.” — Bob Marley
13. “Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.” — Mark Twain
14. “If a man wants you, nothing can keep him away. If he doesn’t want you, nothing can make him stay.” — Oprah Winfrey
15. “Some people are going to leave, but that’s not the end of your story. That’s the end of their part in your story.” — Faraaz Kazi
16. “He loved me. He loved me, but he doesn’t love me anymore, and it’s not the end of the world.” — Jennifer Weiner, Good in Bed
17. “Sometimes a woman will look back on what she had, not because she wants to go there but to motivate her to do better.” — Reuben Holmes II
18. “I’m choosing happiness over suffering. I know I am. I’m making space for the unknown future to fill up my life with yet-to-come surprises.” — Elizabeth Gilbert
19. “She hated that she was still so desperate for a glimpse of him, but it had been this way for years.” ― Julia Quinn, The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever
20. “Nothing had changed. I was the stupid one again. I was the girl who never understood who she was to people.” ― Carol Rifka Brunt, Tell the Wolves I’m Home
Ghosting quotes and sayings
Healing from the loss of a connection is its own journey.
21. “This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.” — Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
22. “There comes a time in your life when you have to choose to turn the page, write another book or simply close it.” ― Shannon L. Alder
23. “Do people always fall in love with things they can’t have?’ ‘Always,’ Carol said, smiling, too.” ― Patricia Highsmith, The Price of Salt
24. “Everyone’s allowed to be in love with the wrong person at some point. In fact, it’s a mistake not to be.” ― Harriet Evans, Happily Ever After
25. “You know, a heart can be broken, but it keeps on beating, just the same.” ― Fannie Flagg, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
26. “Some people don’t realize what they have until it’s gone, but that does not always mean they are supposed to get it back.” — Stephan Labossiere
27. “It hurts to love. It’s like giving yourself to be flayed and knowing that at any moment the other person may just walk off with your skin.” ― Susan Sontag, Reborn
28. “My heart no longer felt as if it belonged to me. It now felt as it had been stolen, torn from my chest by someone who wanted no part of it.” ― Meredith Taylor, Churning Waters
29. “The feeling was enough, I think. Just to know it. To have it in my bones, make it a part of my history. There was a beautiful ‘before,’ without an ‘after’ to wreck it on the other side.” ― Emma Lord, You Have a Match
30. “You dump trash. You dump yard waste and old ripped couches that smell like body odor and forgetfulness. You dump cigarette butts and banana peels, and hazardous waste. But people?” ― Autumn Doughton, I’ll Be Here
Deep ghosting quotes
These quotes make us question our motives.
31. “The most difficult aspect of moving on is accepting that the other person already did.” ― Faraaz Kazi
32. “The most painful goodbyes are the ones that are left unsaid and never explained.” — Jonathan Harnisch, Freak
33. “They were involved in that awkward procedure of getting to unknow each other.” ― John Irving, The World According to Garp
34. “I hated myself for going; why couldn’t I be the kind of person who stays?” ― Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
35. “Life is just a slide. Back and forth between loving and leaving, remembering and forgetting, holding on and letting go.” ― Nicole Lyons
36. “I think you are wrong to want a heart. It makes most people unhappy. If you only knew it, you are in luck not to have a heart.” ― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
37. “You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation, trying to put the pieces together. Or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move on.” ― Tupac Shakur
38. “I leave, and the leaving is so exhilarating I know I can never go back. But then what? Do I just keep leaving places, and leaving them, and leaving them, tramping a perpetual journey?” ― John Green, Paper Towns
39. “There is no need to know the reason for why everything happens the way it does. We never question the good, so we mustn’t question the bad. Just trust that what’s meant to happen did, for a reason, and keep moving on.” — Kylie Francis
40. “In your place, if there is pain, nurse it, and if there is a flame, don’t snuff it out, don’t be brutal with it. We rip out so much of ourselves to be cured of things faster than we should that we go bankrupt by the age of thirty and have less to offer each time we start with someone new. But to feel nothing so as not to feel anything—what a waste!” — Andre Aciman, Call Me By Your Name
Getting ghosted quotes
Sometimes you are the ghost, and other times you are the one ghosted.
41. “You didn’t break my heart; you freed it.” — Steve Maraboli
42. “Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes just be an illusion.” ― Javan
43. “He is very dreamy, but he is not the sun. You are.” — Christina Yang, Grey’s Anatomy
44. “It becomes easy to leave once you realize you didn’t belong there.” ― Farhad Writings
45. “Once you’d resolved to go, there was nothing to it at all.” ― Jeannette Walls, The Glass Castle
46. “All I’ve ever known is about leaving or being left.” ― Carrie Ryan, The Dark and Hollow Places
47. “The only way to leave forever is to do so as quickly as possible.” ― Anna Godbersen, Splendor
48. “A man never knows how to say goodbye; a woman never knows when to say it.” ― Helen Rowland
49. “So it’s true when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.” ― E.A. Bucchianeri, Brushstrokes of a Gadfly
50. “Out of the millions and millions of people that inhabit this planet, he is one of the tiny few I can never have.” — Tabitha Suzuma, Forbidden
All endings mean new beginnings
Everyone handles being ghosted or ghosting differently.
Ghosting someone can hurt them.
It is not a respectful way to end a relationship.
Communication is a two-way street; it is a sign of respect to inform someone that our preferences have changed and we no longer wish to be involved.
It is healthy to give closure to ourselves and the other person.
Facing reality can help us realize that accepting the relationship has changed is good for us.
Ghosting might hurt or cause us stress, but it is not a forever situation, and we can get over it.
We must never run from our feelings, even if we feel sad or vulnerable.
We all process emotions differently; ghosting can cause powerful emotions to surface.
How do you handle ghosting?
Do you have a favorite ghosting quote?
Be sure to let us know in the comment section below.