Looking for inspirational quotes to help you embrace your inner hippie? The hippie quotes below dive into themes of happiness, love, and much more.
What does the word ‘hippie’ make you think of?
The hippie culture is a youth movement stemming from the 1960s. In the modern-day, hippies are still prevalent in American culture.
Hippies are often considered to be the most recognizable pop culture figures of the 1960s. They are often brought back to life in costumes that feature peace signs and tie-dye colors.
But there is so much more to hippie culture than a stereotypical costume. Within the hippie ideology, is an emphasis on love, happiness, and peace.
Below is our collection of hippie quotes that will bring more positivity into your everyday life.
Don’t forget to also read these Nacho Libre quotes for understanding your beliefs.
Hippie quotes about happiness
1. “When you find peace within yourself you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others.” – Anne Frank
2. “To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.” — Joseph Chilton Pearce
3. “I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” — Robert Frost
4. “My business is to enjoy and have fun. And why not, if in the end, everything will end, right?” — Janis Joplin
6. “When you’ve seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there.” – George Harrison
7. “My advice to people today is as follows: If you take the game of life seriously, if you take your nervous system seriously, if you take your sense organs seriously, if you take the energy process seriously, you must turn on, tune in, and drop out.” — Timothy Leary
8. “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
9. “If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there would be peace.” – John Lennon
10. “If you smile at me I will understand because that is something everyone, everywhere does in the same language.” — Jefferson Airplane
11. “If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have a paradise in a few years.” – Bertrand Russell
12. “If you don’t like what you’re doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove.” — Timothy Leary
13. “The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.” — Jack Kerouac
14. “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.” — Bob Marley
15. “To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.” – Audrey Hepburn
Inspirational hippie quotes
16. “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed individuals can change the world, indeed it’s the only thing that ever has.” — Margaret Meade
17. “In a gentle way, you can shake the world.” — Mahatma Gandhi
18. “Work like you don’t need the money. Love like you’ve never been hurt. Dance like nobody’s watching.” – Satchel Paige
19. “You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.” – Max Ehrmann
20. “A right is not what someone gives you; it’s what no one can take away from you.” — Ramsey Clark
21. “The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.” – Alan Watts
22. “If the truth can be told so as to be understood, it will be believed.” – Terence McKenna
23. “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, Live the life you’ve always imagined.” – Henry David Thoreau
24. “We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” – Joseph Campbell
25. “You have to forget about what other people say, when you’re supposed to die, or when you’re supposed to be loving. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on & be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.” — Jimi Hendrix
26. “Accept yourself as you are. And that is the most difficult thing in the world, because it goes against your training, education, your culture. From the very beginning, you have been told how you should be; Nobody has ever told you that you are good as you are.” – Osho
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of culture quotes about its power in society.
27. “To gain that which is worth having, it may be necessary to lose everything else.” – Bernadette Devlin
28. “Always trust those searching for The Truth, never those who have found it.” — Jordan Maxwell
29. “Your mind is like a parachute, it doesn’t work unless it’s open.” — Jordan Maxwell
30. “There is enough for everyone. People think that there isn’t enough, so they get as much as they can, so many people don’t have enough.” – Buckminster Fuller
31. “What if I fall? Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?” – E. H.
Have you seen these motivating free spirit quotes for those with a wild heart?
Hippie quotes about freedom
32. “Revolution is not something fixed in ideology, nor is it something fashioned to a particular decade. It is a perpetual process embedded in the human spirit.” – Abbie Hoffman
33. “The free soul is rare, but you know it when you see it – basically because you feel good, very good when you are near or with them.” — Charles Bukowski
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Charles Bukowski quotes to help you see life from a brand new perspective.
34. “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
35. “With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?” – Oscar Wilde
36. “If you want to be free, be free. Cause there are a million things to be.” — Cat Stevens
37. “I don’t want to earn a living I want to live.” – Oscar Wilde
38. “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect.” — Mark Twain
39. “The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role… you give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask.” — Jim Morrison
40. “If I’m free, it’s because I’m always running.” — Jimi Hendrix
41. “You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.” — Bob Dylan
42. “If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears the beat of a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.” — Henry David Thoreau
Hippie quotes about love
43. “Love is a friendship set to music.” — Joseph Campbell
44. “Love is all you need.” — The Beatles
45. “Do you want me to tell you something really subversive? Love is everything it’s cracked up to be. That’s why people are so cynical about it. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don’t risk anything, you risk even more.” — Erica Jong
46. “I do my thing, and you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you, and I am I, and if by chance we find each other, it’s beautiful.” — Frederick E. Perl
47. “Never pretend to a love which you do not actually feel, for love is not ours to command.” – Alan Watts
48. “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” – Jimi Hendrix
49. “If someone thinks love and peace is a cliché that must have been left behind in the ‘60s, that’s his problem. Love and peace are eternal.” — John Lennon
50. “Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.” – James Arthur Baldwin
More hippie quotes
51. “There’s a limit to my patience with anything that smacks of metaphysics. I squirm at the mention of mind expansion or warm healing energy. I don’t like drum circles, public nudity or strangers touching my feet.” – Koren Zailckas
52. “He lost himself somewhere on the harmless side of lunacy, slightly south of innocuous but definitely north of demented.” – Tony Vigorito
53. “As though everything truly had to be faced without fear, as a mere fact of life – we don’t choose the things that happen to us, but we can choose how we react to them.” – Paulo Coelho
54. “Those who wish to learn magic ought to begin by looking around them.” – Paulo Coelho
55. “The hippie movement politicized my generation. When it ended, we all started looking back at our own history, looking, in my case, for motives of rebellion.” – Vivienne Westwood
56. “The Rolling Stones are much more accomplished than Jefferson Airplane, who are more like tribal people. That is, they present something which exists: The music and the hippie.” – Jean-Luc Godard
57. “The people who really know me understand that I have a tough exterior, but I’m actually just a hippie at heart.” – Erin Wasson
58. “In private, I’m a hippie who follows Buddhism, does yoga, meditates and loves to dance wildly.” – Laura Harring
59. “The real hippie is trying to create something inclusive, something holistic, something loving and healthy which isn’t in perpetual conflict with authority and actually knows that the only way to disarm the entire game is to step aside and not take any sides.” – Devendra Banhart
60. “The hippie era was a wonderful time because we still believed we could make the world a better place.” – Lemmy
61. “All we are saying is give peace a chance.” – John Lennon
62. “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” –
Robert A. Heinlein
63. “When you’ve seen beyond yourself, then you may find peace of mind is waiting there.” –
64. “I’m a little bit of a hippie at heart, so I always wear things that are comfortable and flowing.” – Carly Rae Jepsen
65. “We all sang the songs of peace.” – Melanie Safka
Hippie quotes that resonate with your inner flower child
66. “Growing up, I was a little hippie kid.” — Summer Sanders
67. “Guess what, I might be the first hippie pinup girl.” — Janis Joplin
68. “Basically, I was a hippie and still am a flower child.” — Donna Karan
69. “Never trust a hippie. That’s definitely my motto.” — Sam Taylor-Johnson
70. “I’m just an old hippie. You know, peace and love.” — Sherman Hemsley
71. “I knew when I went to a very hippie high school that focused on music that I wanted to do something in the industry.” — Tove Lo
72. “I’m a hippie child of the ’60s. What drives me crazy about mass media entertainment is that it’s so often devoid of any ideas.” — James Lapine
73. “I had a confused early hippie phase, which was like a cafeteria tray of sloppy, semi-Marxist thoughts, absorbed second-hand.” — P. J. O’Rourke
74. “I was raised vegan. My mom would always make quinoa with squash and kale, hippie stuff like that. Now I eat meat, but I try to be conscious about where it’s coming from.” — Zoe Kravitz
75. “I grew up in a very urban, bohemian family where everyone was a hippie or a pacifist. It was artistically and intellectually stimulating, but they were definitely not into outdoor sports or activities.” — Alexander Skarsgard
Hippie quotes about the culture
76. “Just having the art-communal hippie experience as a child, there wasn’t a clear line that was drawn. We celebrated creative experience and creative expression.” -Jared Leto
77. “My mother was extremely controlled, sort of flawless. And I always tend to be a bit more hippie.” -Vera Wang
78. “I went from being a jock to a hippie. It was a very clear-cut decision. I had to be one or the other.” -J.K. Simmons
79. “We came out in the midst of the hippie hangover. All this mellow music.” -Angus Young
80. “I was a hippie. I dropped in and out of everything. Then I found acting. It really grounded me.” -Conchata Ferrell
81. “When once I got to America I fell in love with hippie culture, and I’ve always wanted to live in the country and grow organic vegetables.” -Jamaica Kincaid
82. “1968 was the beginning of the hippie movement in fashion. That movement made fashion change completely. It was not necessary to be always dressed up. You could be dressed the way you wanted – it was absolute freedom.” -Sonia Rykiel
83. “I’m a former hippie, so clothes are important to me – your clothes defined you in that period. I guess clothes still defines people.” -John Hughes
84. “I grew up in a hippie commune so I have a real hippie part of me.” -Patricia Arquette
85. “I feel like a total hippie right now. I’m passionate about all sorts of things – a lot of boring, cuddly Hallmark things, to be honest.” -Dreama Walker
Hippie quotes for the young
86. “We all want to change the world.” -The Beatles
87. “Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free.” – Jim Morrison
88. “One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.” – Carl Jung
89. “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don’t ever count on having both at once.” – Robert A. Heinlein
90. “Time to live, time to lie, time to laugh, and time to die. Take it easy baby. Take it as it comes.” – Jim Morrison
91. “I think it is only important to love the world, not to despise it, not for us to hate each other, but to be able to regard the world and ourselves and all beings with love, admiration and respect.” – Hermann Hesse
92. “I’d rather wear flowers in my hair than diamonds around my neck. I don’t want to earn a living I want to live.” – Oscar Wilde
93. .”Like a true Nature’s child, we were born, born to be wild.” – Steppenwolf
94. “The hippies wanted peace and love. We wanted Ferraris, blondes, and switchblades.” – Alice Cooper
95. “There is a secret hippie within me.” – Philip Lim
Who’s your favorite hippie icon?
In hippie culture, positivity reigns supreme. To bring more happiness into your everyday life, consider keeping a gratitude journal.
For ten minutes each night, write down things you were thankful for throughout the previous day. They could be anything from people (i.e. family, friends), places (i.e. your home), or just the little things that make you happy (i.e. the smell of your morning coffee).
Scientific studies have shown that keeping a gratitude journal has a multitude of positive effects, including better sleep and increased mental strength.
How are you going to incorporate the hippie mindset into your everyday life? Did we forget an amazing hippie quote? Tell us your thoughts; we would love to hear them.
May 12, 2022 6:31 AM EST