Step into the world of missionary pioneer Hudson Taylor quotes that continue to inspire and ignite the spirit of missionary work.
Throughout history, missionaries have embarked on challenging journeys, often to unfamiliar lands, driven by their unshakable faith in God’s plan.
One such missionary was Hudson Taylor, whose extensive writings still resonate with Christians today.
Who was Hudson Taylor?
Hudson Taylor was a British Christian missionary best known for his pioneering work in bringing the Christian faith to China in the 19th century.
In preparing for his journey to China, Taylor learned Mandarin and studied basic medicine.
While not the first Christian missionary to travel to China, Taylor dressed in traditional Chinese clothing and styled his hair to match that of Chinese men to better integrate into Chinese life and gain the trust of those he served.
Taylor’s life and work profoundly impacted the history of Christian missions and the spread of Christianity in China.
His unwavering trust in God and relentless dedication to spreading the Gospel inspire Christians worldwide.
Read on for 50 insightful quotes by Hudson Taylor about faith, prayer, suffering, and more, offering a glimpse into his remarkable journey and deep spiritual insights.
Hudson Taylor Quotes about Prayer
What did Hudson Taylor write about prayer?
Read on for quotes that illustrate how vital the act of prayer was to Hudson Taylor.
1. “When we work, we work. When we pray, God works.” — Hudson Taylor
2. “Prayer is not overcoming God’s reluctance; it is laying hold of His willingness.” — Hudson Taylor
3. “When prayer is a struggle, it is time to turn to God and surrender our will to His.” — Hudson Taylor
4. “The more you pray, the less you’ll panic. The more you worship, the less you worry.” — Hudson Taylor
5. “Prayer is the key that unlocks all the storehouses of God’s infinite grace and power.” — Hudson Taylor
6. “The greatest victories are not won in the pulpit by preaching but in the closet by praying.” — Hudson Taylor
7. “The prayer offered to God in the morning during your quiet time is the key that unlocks the door of the day.” — Hudson Taylor
8. “God’s love is like a river, constantly flowing, always available to cleanse, refresh, and renew us through prayer.” — Hudson Taylor
9. “Oh, how great the difference between the fervent petition of the righteous man and the feeble prayer of the righteous!” — Hudson Taylor
10. “Pray in your closet, but not only in your closet. Pray to be heard as well as pray to be saved.” — Hudson Taylor
Hudson Taylor Quotes about Faith
What did Hudson Taylor say about being strong in your faith?
Here are quotes demonstrating how integral faith was in Hudson Taylor’s life.
11. “Faith is the hand of the soul that takes hold of the promises of God.” — Hudson Taylor
12. “It is not the quantity of your faith but the object of your faith that matters.” — Hudson Taylor
13. “Little faith will bring your soul to heaven; but great faith will bring heaven to your soul.” — Hudson Taylor
14. “The secret of faith that is ready to die is simply this: expecting God to do what He has promised.” — Hudson Taylor
15. “All God’s giants have been weak men who did great things for God because they reckoned on His being with them.” — Hudson Taylor
16. “It is not great faith, but true faith that saves; and the salvation lies not in the faith, but in the Christ in whom faith trusts.” — Hudson Taylor
17. “If we are faithful to God in little things, we shall gain experience and strength that will be helpful to us in the more serious trials of life.” — Hudson Taylor
18. “It is not intellectual knowledge about God that quenches man’s restlessness and sin, but personal acquaintance with God Himself.” — Hudson Taylor
19. “Faith is the assurance that the thing which God has said in His Word is true, and that God will act according to what He has said in his Word.” — Hudson Taylor
20. “Faith has nothing to do with feeling, nothing to do with emotion, nothing to do with inclination; it has to do with the will and with the truth of God.” — Hudson Taylor
Hudson Taylor Quotes about Suffering
How did Hudson Taylor view suffering? Keep reading to learn why Hudson Taylor thought suffering was crucial in the life of a Christian.
21. “If I am afraid of suffering, I shall be afraid of God.” — Hudson Taylor
22. “Suffering is a pathway to greater intimacy with Christ.” — Hudson Taylor
23. “Suffering is the crucible in which our faith is tested and refined.” — Hudson Taylor
24. “Suffering is one of God’s servants to prepare the way for the Gospel.” — Hudson Taylor
25. “The wounds that hurt the most are often the ones that bring us closest to Christ.” — Hudson Taylor
26. “The Lord will hear your cry; the Lord will see your pain; the Lord will provide relief.” — Hudson Taylor
27. “In suffering, we discover the depths of God’s love and the sufficiency of His grace.” — Hudson Taylor
28. “Trials teach us what we are; they dig up the soil and let us see what we are made of.” — Hudson Taylor
29. “Suffering is not the absence of God’s love but an opportunity to experience it in a deeper way.” — Hudson Taylor
30. “Suffering may bend us, but it does not have to break us. It is through brokenness that we can experience the fullness of God’s healing.” — Hudson Taylor
Hudson Taylor quotes about Charity and Kindness
How did Hudson Taylor help people? Below are quotes from Hudson Taylor about the importance of charity and kindness in service to God.
31. “Kindness is not limited by our resources but by our willingness.” — Hudson Taylor
32. “You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving.” — Hudson Taylor
33. “To love as Christ loves, we must be willing to serve as Christ serves.” — Hudson Taylor
34. “Kindness is a seed that, when sown, multiplies and bears fruit in the lives of others.” — Hudson Taylor
35. “Give me a man of prayer, and he will be a kind man, a loving man, a generous man.” — Hudson Taylor
36. “The missionary spirit is the spirit of Jesus, the spirit of the incarnation and the cross.” — Hudson Taylor
37. “The measure of our charity is not in the amount we give but in the love with which we give it.” — Hudson Taylor
38. “When we show charity and kindness, we become vessels of God’s grace to a hurting world.” — Hudson Taylor
39. “The less I spent on myself and the more I gave to others, the fuller of happiness and blessing did my soul become.” — Hudson Taylor
40. “As our Father makes many a flower to bloom unseen in the lonely desert, [let us] do all that we can do, as under God’s eye, though no other eye ever take note of it.” — Hudson Taylor
Short Hudson Taylor Quotes
Here are a few more short quotes by Hudson Taylor that help us more deeply understand his dedication and love for God.
41. “You must go forward on your knees.” — Hudson Taylor
42. “God’s commands are God’s enablings.” — Hudson Taylor
43. “The future is as bright as the promises of God.” — Hudson Taylor
44. “Christ is either Lord of all, or He is not Lord at all.” — Hudson Taylor
45. “The branch that abides in the vine will bear much fruit.” — Hudson Taylor
46. “Kindness is not a sign of weakness; it is a mark of strength.” — Hudson Taylor
47. “I used to ask God to help me. Then I asked if I might help Him.” — Hudson Taylor
48. “Christ is the Savior of the world, and His love knows no bounds.” — Hudson Taylor
49. “In great matters, great difficulties; in small matters, small difficulties.” — Hudson Taylor
50. “Depend on it. God’s work done in God’s way will never lack God’s supplies.” — Hudson Taylor
What can we learn from Hudson Taylor?
These quotes by Hudson Taylor serve as a testament to the profound faith that fueled his missionary endeavors and transformed countless lives.
Hudson Taylor’s dedication to spreading the Christian faith in China and his innovative approaches to missionary work left a lasting impact on the history of missions.
His legacy continues to inspire Christians worldwide to engage in compassionate service and share their faith with others.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
By practicing the tips in this article, you’ll be a leader who stands out both in your work and personal life.
When life gets tough, just turn to these words of encouragement and you’ll feel better in no time.
Learn to stop the negative effects of social media. Follow these tips so you won’t have to feel sad each time you open your Facebook.
Responsibility represents a key attribute for men, women, and children, one that is fine-tuned over an extended period of time and tested constantly.
Check out these related quote articles:
Check out these Jim Elliot quotes about an amazing man who chose to devote his life to spreading the word of God.
To learn more about this woman who spent her life giving to others, read these Amy Carmichael quotes.
Check out these Voddie Baucham quotes from a man who spends his life spreading the gospel.
If you enjoy real-life stories of forgiveness and love, you will enjoy these Elisabeth Elliot quotes!