Pet Quotes and Sayings for All Animal Lovers
For those of us who love animals, pet quotes like these speak straight to the pawprints on our hearts.
March 21, 2023 6:00 AM EST
Whether you’re a lover of dogs or crazy about cats, pet quotes make you smile inside at the thought of the love we feel for our four-legged friends.
For those of us who share our lives with pets, these pet quotes will make you smile from the inside out.
Don’t forget to share them with someone who loves pets just as much as you so they can smile.
Tell us your favorite pet quote in the comment section below.
You may also enjoy our article on:
According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, 38.4% of households in the US have at least one dog and 25.4% have at least one cat, showing the high prevalence of pets in American households.
If you’re one of the many people who consider your pet a beloved member of the family, check out these pet quotes and sayings.
What are the benefits of reading these pet quotes?
Pet-keeping is a common part of many cultures.
Humans have been sharing their lives with animals from time immemorial.
According to research, pets can have a profound effect on us.
Interacting with a pet that behaves properly can positively affect you and the surrounding people.
The benefits of having a pet include:
- stroking your dog or combing the cat can make you happy and de-stress you
- having a dog gives you a great excuse to get out and exercise
- teaching you responsibility
- helping to manage loneliness and depression
Running along a park trail or simply taking a walk around your neighborhood with your canine companion can help you get into better physical shape.
Studies also suggest that people with friendly animals are more trustworthy and approachable.
Though pet-keeping can be a costly and time-consuming business, our innate attraction to cute or small animals is not going anywhere.
In that respect, our collection of cute, adorable, and inspirational pet quotes and sayings is below.
Also, check out these beautiful horse quotes that will inspire you to take a ride.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quote category page has even more inspirational and educational quotes.
Pet Quotes and Sayings for All Animal Lovers
The National Institutes of Health reports that pet ownership can lead to lower blood pressure and decreased risk of heart disease, highlighting the potential health benefits of having a pet.
If you’re grateful for your pet’s positive impact on your health, check out these pet quotes and sayings.
1. “Animals are such agreeable friends – they ask no questions; they pass no criticisms.” – George Eliot
You will also enjoy our article on Animal Farm quotes.
2. “I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul.” – Jean Cocteau
You will also enjoy our article on loss of a dog quotes.
3. “Time spent with cats is never wasted.” – Sigmund Freud
You will also enjoy our article on llama quotes.
4. “Dogs come when they’re called; cats take a message and get back to you later.” – Mary Bly
You will also enjoy our article on German Shepherd quotes.
5. “Dogs are our link to paradise. They don’t know evil or jealousy or discontent.” – Milan Kundera
You will also enjoy our article on hunting quotes.
6. “No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you feel rich.” – Louis Sabin
You will also enjoy our article on elephant quotes.
7. “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.” – M.K. Clinton
You will also enjoy our article on Ace Ventura quotes.
8. “He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.” – Immanuel Kant
You will also enjoy our article on death quotes.
9. “Anyone can learn how to communicate with animals if they are open to the process and willing to practice.” – Karen A Anderson
You will also enjoy our article on bear quotes.
10. “Pets are humanizing. They remind us we have an obligation and responsibility to preserve and nurture and care for all life.” – James Cromwell
Read our collection of dog quotes about our favorite four legged friends.
Pet quotes about love and loyalty
According to the American Heart Association, owning a pet has been linked to lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels, emphasizing the role of pets in promoting heart health.
If you love your pet and want to celebrate the bond between you, these pet quotes and sayings are perfect for you.
11. “Animals are sentient, intelligent, perceptive, funny and entertaining. We owe them a duty of care as we do to children.” – Michael Morpurgo
You will also enjoy our article on cuddle quotes.
12. “Sometimes, your pet picks you.” –Julie Wenzel
13. “Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.” – Alfred A. Montapert
14. “An animal’s eyes have the power to speak a great language.” – Martin Buber
15. “My relationships with my cats has saved me from a deadly, pervasive ignorance.” – William S. Burroughs
16. “A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.” – Chinese Proverb
17. “Be kind to all pets and animals because they will be kind back to you.” – Wesley Porter
18. “You learn in this business: If you want a friend, get a dog.” – Carl Icahn
19. “I really love pets. They’re like children. They know if you really love them or not. You can’t fool them.” – Donna Douglas
20. “Those who love dogs, know something about God.” – Fakeer Ishavardas
21. “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” – Albert Schweitzer
You might also like these funny dog quotes and sayings that will make you LOL with your furry friends.
Adorable pet quotes that shoot straight to the heart
A study by the University of Missouri-Columbia found that pet owners had lower blood pressure and heart rates than non-pet owners.
This statistic could be used to highlight the health benefits of having a pet and how they can positively impact our physical well-being.
22. “Dogs got personality. Personality goes a long way.” – Quentin Tarantino
23. “What greater gift than the love of a cat?” – Charles Dickens
24. “Cats have it all – admiration, an endless sleep, and company only when they want it.” – Rod McKuen
25. “Pets, like their owners, tend to expand a little over the Christmas period.” – Frances Wright
26. “I’ve met many thinkers and many cats, but the wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.” – Hippolyte Taine
27. “Indeed, there is nothing on this earth more peaceful than a sleeping, purring cat.” – Jonathon Scott Payne
28. “Birds teach us something very important: To whatever height you rise, you will finally come down to the ground!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
29. “Happiness is a warm puppy.” – Charles M. Schulz
30. “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” –Anatole France
Check out our collection of black cat quotes if you enjoy this article.
Pet quotes to celebrate our furry friends
According to a survey by the American Veterinary Medical Association, 80% of pet owners consider their pets to be members of the family.
This statistic could be used to show the deep emotional connection that pet owners have with their pets and how pets can provide companionship and comfort.
31. “There’s a saying. If you want someone to love you forever, buy a dog, feed it and keep it around.” – Dick Dale
32. “Love the animals: God has given them the rudiments of thought and joy untroubled” – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
33. “The bond with a dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth can ever be.” – Konrad Lorenz
34. “If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans.” – James Herriot
35. “Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.” ― Colette
36. “Pets reflect you like mirrors. When you are happy, you can see your dog smiling and when you are sad, your cat cries.” –Munia Khan
37. “To me, a cat is an easy pet, they don’t need any spoiling or looking after.” – Karl Pilkington
38. “Cats know how to obtain food without labor, shelter without confinement, and love without penalties.” – Walter Lionel George
39. “Sometimes losing a pet is more painful than losing a human because in the case of the pet, you were not pretending to love it.” – Amy Sedaris
40. “I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the Role Model for being alive.” – Gilda Radner
Don’t forget to also read these snake quotes that will make your fears disappear.
Awesome pet quotes that will make you smile
A study by the University of California, Davis found that having a dog in the workplace can reduce stress and increase job satisfaction.
This statistic could be used to demonstrate the benefits of pets in the workplace and how they can improve the overall well-being of employees.
41. “The purity of a person’s heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals” – Anonymous
42. “If there is a heaven, it’s certain our animals are to be there. Their lives become so interwoven with our own, it would take more than an archangel to detangle them.” – Pam Brown
43. “All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it.” – Samuel Butler
44. “Dogs laugh, but they laugh with their tails.” –Max Eastman
45. “The cat is there when you call her – if she doesn’t have something better to do.” – Bill Alder
46. “There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.” – Robert Lynd
47. “Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives.” – Sue Murphy
48. “I believe all animals were created by God to help keep man Alive.” – Iwao Fujita
49. “There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.” – Ben Williams
50. “Birds are a miracle because they prove to us there is a finer, simpler state of being which we may strive to attain.” – Douglas Coupland
You might also like these insightful bird quotes that will inspire you to spread your wings and fly.
More pet quotes and sayings
51. “The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.” – Andy Rooney
52. “Pets have more love and compassion in them than most humans.” – Robert Wagner
53. “Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” – Roger Caras
54. “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.” – Josh Billings
55. “Here, Gentlemen, a dog teaches us a lesson in humanity.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
56. “What a dog I got, his favorite bone is in my arm.” – Rodney Dangerfield
57. “Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.” – Robert A. Heinlein
58. “If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat.” – Mark Twain
59. “Kittens are wide-eyed, soft and sweet. With needles in their jaws and feet.” – Pam Brown
60. “Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail.” – Kinky Friedman
61. “My little dog – a heartbeat at my feet.” – Eddie Wharton
62. “Dogs’ lives are too short. Their only fault, really.” – Agnes Sligh Turnbull
63. “Scratch a dog and you’ll find a permanent job.” – Franklin P. Jones
64. “Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog.” – Franklin P. Jones
65. “Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day.” – John Grogan
66. “If you want a friend in Washington, get a dog.” – Harry Truman
67. “It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them.” – John Grogan
68. “The greatest fear dogs know is the fear that you will not come back when you go out the door without them.” – Stanley Coren
69. “What do dogs do on their day off? Can’t lie around—that’s their job.” – George Carlin
Funny pet quotes and sayings
70. “Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” – Sian Ford
71. “My cats inspire me daily. They inspire me to get a dog!” – Greg Curtis
72. “Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul, chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we’re the greatest hunters on earth!” – Anne Tyle
73. “I don’t think twice about picking up my dog’s poop, but if another dog’s poop is next to it, I think, ‘Eww, dog poop!” – Jonah Goldberg
74. “A well trained dog will make no attempt to share your lunch. He will just make you feel so guilty that you cannot enjoy it.” – Helen Thomson
75. “If aliens saw us walking our dogs and picking up their poop, who would they think is in charge?” – Unknown
76. “You can trust your dog to guard your house but never trust your dog to guard your sandwich.” – Unknown
77. “Dogs are like potato chips. You can’t have just one.” – Unknown
78. “My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That’s almost $21.00 in dog money.” – Joe Weinstein
79. “No home decor is complete without dog hair.” – Unknown
Other funny and heartwarming pet quotes and sayings
80. “You can’t ever be a cat owner; in the best of cases it allows you to be their companion.” – Harry Swanson
81. “Dogs eat. Cats dine.” – Ann Taylor
82. “Once a cat loves you, it loves you till the end.” – Will Advise
83. “I like dogs. You always know what a dog is thinking. It has four moods. Happy, sad, cross, and concentrating. Also, dogs are faithful and they do not tell lies because they cannot talk.” – Mark Haddon
84. “I was thinking of getting a German Shepherd once, but I didn’t want to learn another language just to have a dog.” – Unknown
95. “If you think dogs can’t count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.” – Phil Pastoret
96. “Choosing a dog may be the only chance you get to pick a relative.” – Unknown
97. “If you want the best seat in the house, you’ll have to move the dog.” – Unknown
98. “The dog lives for the day, the hour, even the moment.” – Robert Falcon Scott
99. “The dog that trots about finds a bone.” – Golda Meir
Pet quotes for animal lovers
100. “It’s difficult to understand why people don’t realize that pets are gifts to mankind.” -Linda Blair
101. “Parrots make great pets. They have more personality than goldfish.” -Chevy Chase
102. “Pets have made us better.” -Beth Ostrosky Stern
103. “People that love dogs have an emotional connection with them and I just think they are the most loving and fun pets you can have.” -Steve Backshall
104. “I don’t treasure things much – just people. And pets.” -Felicity Kendal
105. “People really do spend a lot of money on their pets – sometimes more then themselves.” -Oksana Baiul
106. “Adopted pets are the best pets you can have.” -Josh Duhamel
107. “I’ve learned from my pets that it’s okay to sit around, and people don’t love you any less if you sit around all the time.” -Maria Bamford
108. “Pets inspire many different types of behaviour in their owners, mostly ranging from adoration to ridiculous obsessiveness, in my experience.” -Sheherazade Goldsmith
109. “I think pets are a good thing, especially if you get them out of a shelter.” -Mitchel Musso
Pet Quotes For The Adorable Bond With Pets
110. “Cats have a scam going – you buy the food, they eat the food, they go away; that’s the deal.” — Eddie Izzard
111. “The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.” — Charles de Gaulle
112. “The truth is that it’s just really hard for me to get to sleep without a dog in my bedroom.” — Jimmy Stewart
113. “A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not.” — Ernest Hemingway
114. “My idea of absolute happiness is to be in bed on a rainy day with my blankie, my cat, and my dog.” — Anne Lamott
115. “If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way.” — Mark Twain
116. “A kitten is in the animal world what a rosebud is in the garden.” — Robert Southey
117. “Kittens are angels with whiskers.” — Alexis Flora Hope
118. “If dogs could talk, perhaps we would find it as hard to get along with them as people.” — Capek
119. “There is no faith which has never yet been broken, except that of a truly faithful dog.” — Konrad Lorenz
Pet Quotes That Will Make You Embrace Pet Ownership
120. “My favorite type of pet has always been a dog. They’re loyal, kind and offer endless affection.” — Brendon Urie
121. “Pets understand humans better than humans do.” — Ruchi Prabhu
122. “Recruit your pet as a study partner. Cats are usually more than happy to do this—in fact, you may have trouble keeping them off keyboards and books—and dogs will often serve as well. Few things are more relaxing than having a warm, furry creature next to you as you study.” — Stefanie Weisman
123. “If you accept that pets can love us as much as we do them, then the logic is clear and cannot be denied. If you believe that there is a heaven for people, then they must be there, waiting for us, when we cross over. Heaven is love, and pets always share that with us.” — Wallace Sife
124. “Pets bring vital energy to our homes and lives. Pets communicate many messages about love and connection. Care tenderly for all pets throughout their precious lives. The interspecies dance of love softens and expands the heart.” — Laura Staley
125. “Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer.” — Dean Koontz
126. “My philosophy when it came to pets was much like that of having children: You got what you got, and you loved them unconditionally regardless of whatever their personalities or flaws turned out to be.” — Gwen Cooper
127. “Perhaps the greatest gift an animal has to offer is a permanent reminder of who we really are.” ― Nick Trout
128. “Our pets are our family.” ― Ana Monnar
129. “Armadillos make affectionate pets, if you need affection that much.” ― Will Cuppy
Pet Quotes About Their Genuine Nature To Relate Well With Humans
130. “Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.” ― Dean Koontz
131. “Oh the saddest of sights in a world of sin Is the little lost pup with his tail tucked in.” ― Arthur Guiterman
132. “When they are among us cats are angels.” ― George Sand
133. “It often happens that a man is more humanely related to a cat or dog than to any human being.” ― Henry David Thoreau
134. “They’re not so bad. They just need some attention. …Like pets. Or my brother.” ― Rick Riordan
135. “A puppy is but a dog, plus high spirits, and minus common sense.” ― Agnes Repplier
136. “Surround yourself with what you love, whether it’s family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever.” ― George Carlin
137. “Joyful, joyful, joyful, as only dogs know how to be happy with only the autonomy of their shameless spirit.” ― Pablo Neruda
138. “A cat is the only domestic animal I know who toilet trains itself and does a damned impressive job of it.” ― Joseph Epstein
139. “I have a very old and very faithful attachment for dogs. I like them because they always forgive.” ― Albert Camus
Pet Quotes for Animals That Keep You Company
140. “As far as pets go, a cat is a nice on to have.” — Adam Rex
141. “I don’t have any pets, so I get to walk around the house naked. So I’m more free.” — Brendon Urie
142. “I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren’t certain we knew better.” — George Bird Evans
143. “One day, we would like an end to pet shops and the breeding of animals.” — Ingrid Newkirk
144. “I love animals and feel very strongly that people should not be allowed to buy a pet if they are not able to look after it.” — Kirsty Gallacher
145. “I always pet a dog with my left hand because if he bit me, I’d still have my right hand to paint with.” — Juan Gris
146. “I am from Brooklyn, NY, so we could not have many pets, but I always had at least two dogs.” — Connie Stevens
147. “I love cats. I’ve had cats as pets.” — Sam Raimi
148. “Pets are always a great help in times of stress. And in times of starvation too, of course.” — Terry Pratchett
149. “I’d rather have an inch of a dog than miles of pedigree.” — Dana Burnet
Pet Quotes To Keep You Company
150. “Pets do not just substitute for human relationships, they complement and add to them, giving a special and unique dimension to human life.” ― Alan M. Beck
151. “Pets are important, especially for kids without brothers and sisters. They can get close to this animal and they both can grow up to love one another.” ― Michael Robin
152. “Pets can provide very important information about how the family system is organized or disorganized.” ― Michael Robin
153. “Pets receive special attention intended to promote their well-being, at least as people understand that condition.” ― Katherine C. Grier
154. “If for some reason I had to live without my pets, I would find the world a much lonelier, colder place.” ― Charles H. Rudolph
155. “Pets facilitate introduction by being social lubricants. They provide a neutral subject of conversation and perform a variety of functions as social catalysts.” ― Jean E. Veevers
156. “Pets could furnish an ‘every-fresh source of happiness to those who love them.’” ― Olive Thorne Miller
157. “Pets can be introduced to encourage loving and caring responses.” ― Marvin B. Sussman
158. “The way people pamper their pets is ridiculous. Have you heard the latest? Elevator paws for dachshunds.” ― Robert Orben
159. “Pets can coax smiles and words out of socially withdrawn institutionalized patients of all ages.” ― Alan M. Beck
Which of these pet quotes and sayings is your favorite?
Making an animal part of the family is universal to humans.
For tens of thousands of years, people have had an innate attraction to friendly animals.
Though sometimes it’s difficult to explain exactly why people keep pets, there’s no denying that our four-legged friends are only getting cuter and more lovable.
Hopefully, the quotes above have reminded you why pets are special.
Did you enjoy these pet quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.
Also, don’t forget to share with your friends and family.