Looking for wise past quotes that will make you a better person?
We can all learn a lot from our pasts.
For us to live life to the fullest in the present, we must be prepared to ask the right questions about our pasts.
The past is there for you to study and learn from it so that you can make your future better.
You can use your past experiences to become more effective, more productive, and even wiser.
For you to understand what’s happening in your present and before you decide what will happen in your future, try and reflect on your past.
Recall your strengths from the past and learn from the weaknesses that frustrate you.
But although many people tend to live defined by their past choices, you should not let it hold you back.
Always remember that each new day brings an opportunity for you to create a brighter future.
The past is filled with learning opportunities for our present and future.
In that respect, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking past quotes, past sayings, and past proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you want more motivational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Wise Past Quotes Celebrating What Life Taught Us
1. “The present changes the past. Looking back you do not find what you left behind.” ― Kiran Desai
2. “Scars have the strange power to remind us that our past is real.” ― Cormac McCarthy
3. “Every relationship must have a starting point so that past errors may remain in the past.” ― Mary Lydon Simonsen
4. “The past does not define me, it ignites me. The past is not a piece of me, it has placed me” ― Ricky Maye
5. “When you accept things as they are, you allow yourself to make choices, that will help create the change you seek.” ― Patricia Dsouza
6. “You couldn’t erase the past. You couldn’t even change it. But sometimes life offered you the opportunity to put it right.” ― Ann Brashares
7. “The hardships that I encountered in the past will help me succeed in the future.” – Philip Emeagwali
8. “Today I am leading because yesterday I was reading.” ― Amit Kalantri
9. “If we wish to see where our future is headed, all we need to do is have a look at our past and that will tell us all the answers.” ― Anthony T. Hincks
10. “When I think of what I already lived through it seems to me I was shedding my bodies along the paths.” ― Clarice Lispector
Past quotes that will make you a better person
11. “When the uncertain future becomes the past, the past, in turn, becomes uncertain” ― Mohsin Hamid
12. “Don’t torture yourself over the past. Use it as a teacher. Whatever happened to you in the past, has only prepared you for now.” ― Robert Tew
13. “The past is but the beginning of a beginning, and all that is and has been is but the twilight of the dawn.” ― H.G. Wells
14. “I saw this was the way of the future, to leave the past behind as if it were a dream.” ― Alice Hoffman
15. “You know that old phrase ‘Those who don’t remember the past are condemned to repeat it’? Well, I think those who remember the past are even worse off.” ― Chuck Palahniuk
16. “It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past. It is always along the side of us…on the inside, looking out.” ― Jonathan Safran Foer
17. “Walk with me, memory to memory, the shared path, the mutual view. Walk with me. The past lies in wait. It is not behind. It seems to be in front. How else could it trip me as I start to run?” ― Jeanette Winterson
18. “History would be a revelation of the future as much as it was a study of the past.” ― Arundhati Roy
19. “The past is a demon that not even death can shake.” ― Steven Erikson
20. “Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.”― George Santayana
Past quotes to help increase your awareness and understanding
21. “The distance to the corner shops of childhood becomes unfathomable, immeasurable; the candy bars have changed. And change has changed.” ― Ilse Aichinger
22. “What a burden it must be to know all the terrible things you’ve done and supported it with arms unfit to carry it all.” ― K. Weikel
23. “The past, which as always did not know the future, acted in ways that ask to be imagined before they are condemned. Or even simplified.” ― Paul Fussell
24. “If you do not cultivate your life’s environment, you will not captivate the worlds enlightenment.” ― Ricky Maye
25. “What you had yesterday is only memories; what you will have tomorrow is your dreams and what you will do today, let it be love.” ― Santosh Kalwar
26. “Why ruin the present by talking about the past?” ― Victor Robert Lee
27. “Provide for her Future—if you can!—That’s my motto!—But a man’s just a plain bum who doesn’t provide for his own Past!” ― Eleanor Hallowell Abbot
28. “We cannot change the past. We can only take action in the present and, therefore, change the future.” ― Ken Poirot
29. “I can’t. You can’t rewrite the past.” ― Jay Asher,
30. “One cannot and must not try to erase the past merely because it does not fit the present.” ― Golda Meir
Wise past quotes to help you learn from your mistakes
31. “Bitterness and blame only imprison us and prevent us from moving forward.” ― Miquel Reina
32. “You cannot build an empire on a graveyard. The ghosts of the past will it down.” ― Shreya Naik
33. “Love can only be true and free when you are fully healed from painful past and any form of brokenness.” ― Kemi Sogunle
34. “Leaders build the future with clays of the past. Every good moment gives them ideas; every bad moment gives them lessons.” ― Israelmore Ayivor
35. “It was strange how the future seemed tied inseparably to the past, so that both revolved through the present, like a great wheel…” ― Tad Williams
36. “If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world.” ― Mercedes Lackey
37. “Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” ― Søren Kierkegaard
38. “Everything you think you know or feel is based on an attachment to the past.” ― Akiroq Brost
39. “If it’s over, then don’t let the past screw up the rest of your life.” ― Nicholas Sparks
40. “People tend to look on the beliefs of the past as being primitive and unintelligent, yet we are seeing more truth in the past every day.” ― Jennifer L
More inspirational past quotes
41. “The only real battle in life is between hanging on and letting go.” ― Shannon L. Alder
42. “Where you come from, what you look like, and what your past holds do not define you as an individual–you are what you make yourself to be.” ― Kat Von D
43. “How can we prepare for the future if we won’t acknowledge the past?” ― N.K. Jemisin
44. “It was no good to look back, to apologize for what had happened, or to wonder what could have been different.” ― Lily Blake
45. “People from the past have a tendency to walk back into the present and run over the future.” ― Anthony Liccione
46. “Of this I am certain, that if we open a quarrel between the past and the present, we shall find that we have lost the future.” ― Winston S. Churchill
47. “Even if you time travel your past, it can’t be changed, likewise, you can’t possibly change your future, it is always the present which matters.” ― Pushpa Rana
48. “Life’s all about balance. To move on in life you have to strike a balance between your past, present, and your future; you may either be jerked off or left behind.” ― Richmond Akhigbe
49. “Everyone has a story; everyone hides his past as a means of self-preservation. Some just do it better, and more thoroughly, than others.” ― Jodi Picoult
50. “The past is important for all the information and wisdom it holds. But you can get lost in it. You’ve got to learn to keep the knowledge of the past with you as you pursue the present.” ― Lauren Kate
Wise past quotes to help you move forward
51. “The past beats inside me like a second heart.” -John Banville
52. “We are products of our past, but we don’t have to be prisoners of it.” -Rick Warren
53. “You must learn some of my philosophy. Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure.” -Jane Austen
54. “My past has not defined me, destroyed me, deterred me, or defeated me; it has only strengthened me.” -Steve Maraboli
55. “My scars remind me that I did indeed survive my deepest wounds. That in itself is an accomplishment…What hurt me in the past has actually made me better equipped to face the present.” -Steve Goodier
56. “Our past may explain why we’re suffering but we must not use it as an excuse to stay in bondage.” -Joyce Meyer
57. “If you have a past with which you feel dissatisfied, then forget it, now.” -Paulo Coelho
58. “I want everything back, the way it was. But there is no point to it, this wanting.” -Margaret Atwood
59. “This is the past: It drifts, it gathers. If you are not careful, it will bury you.” -Lauren Oliver
60. “The past is never where you think you left it.” -Katherine Anne Porter
Wise past quotes about lessons learned
61. “This year has been full of lessons learned and soul searching and realizing I’m an adult. It’s time to take responsibility and not take the easy way out.” –Nicole Richie
62. “The biggest lessons i learned were probably the times where I had the biggest setbacks and the biggest challenges – when I had the biggest jumps forward and lessons learned.” –Michelle Kwan
63. “I believe that nothing is more important to our ability to effectively address our present than understanding the lessons learned from those who have come before us.” –Charlie Gonzalez
64. “When life brings you full circle, pay attention. There’s a lesson there.” –Mandy Hale
65. “The past is your lessons learned.” –James Hauenstein
66 “The mixture of pain and anger, from past experiences, are the most sincere colors to create new horizons on my canvas.” -Efrat Cybulkiewicz
67. “As I’d found time and again throughout my life—and would continue to find—you do what you can, say your prayers, and hope for the best.” –Dick Van Dyke
68. “Living is a process of developing oneself. Without experiencing pain from disconcerting periods of our lives, we would be different person, perhaps a lesser person.” –Kilroy J. Oldster
69. “Even a spineless anthropod sheds what’s no longer useful and leaves it behind them. Are you not greater than they?” –Jason Versey
70. “Examination of our past is never time-wasting. Reverberations from the past provide learning rubrics for living today.” –Kilroy J. Oldster
Wise past quotes on how not to dwell on it
71. “The past is a place of reference, not a place of residence; the past is a place of learning, not a place of living.” – Roy T. Bennett
72. “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present.” – Bil Keane
73. “When we are tired, we are attacked by ideas we conquered long ago.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
74. “Keep in mind that people change, but the past doesn’t.” – Becca Fitzpatrick
75. “We cannot change our past. We can not change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude.” – Charles R. Swindoll
76. “I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.” – Thomas Jefferson
77. “You can never plan the future by the past.” – Edmund Burke
78. “If you are carrying strong feelings about something that happened in your past, they may hinder your ability to live in the present.” – Les Brown
79. “I can’t go back to yesterday – because I was a different person then.” – Lewis Carroll
80. “One must always maintain one’s connection to the past and yet ceaselessly pull away from it.” – Gaston Bachelard
Past quotes on how to live in the moment
81. “Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” – George Orwell
82. “If you want to be happy, do not dwell in the past, do not worry about the future, focus on living fully in the present.” – Roy T. Bennett
83. “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.” – Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai
84. “The past has no power over the present moment.” – Eckhart Tolle
85. “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” – Buddha
86. “I have great respect for the past. If you don’t know where you’ve come from, you don’t know where you’re going. I have respect for the past, but I’m a person of the moment.” – Maya Angelou
87. “Fear keeps us focused on the past or worried about the future. If we can acknowledge our fear, we can realize that right now we are okay. Right now, today, we are still alive, and our bodies are working marvelously.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
88. “One of the best ways to make yourself happy in the present is to recall happy times from the past. Photos are a great memory-prompt, and because we tend to take photos of happy occasions, they weight our memories to the good.” – Gretchen Rubin
89. “The past is behind, learn from it. The future is ahead, prepare for it. The present is here, live it.” – Thomas S. Monson
90. “Losers live in the past. Winners learn from the past and enjoy working in the present toward the future.” – Denis Waitley
Wise Past Quotes To Focus On Your Future
91. “Love your past for the lessons it has given you, but don’t hover there. Turn and greet your future by facing forward.” — Beverly M. Breakey
92. “Inspire yourself with inspiration to let go of the past, inspire yourself with inspiration to move forward from what you’ve once had.” — Black Barbie
93. “The wisest judgments take into account all your errors, all the mistakes of the past, and everything you have learned from them.” — Gerard I. Nierenberg
94. “We must accept the past for what it is – the past.” — Gerry Reid
95. “If you live your life to the fullest each day, the past won’t matter, and the future will take care of itself.” — Judd Biasiotto
96. “After you learn from your past, let go of it.” — Juli J. McFarland
97. “Learn from the past, but do not stay there.” — Izell Kirkpatrick
98. “My hope comes in knowing that though the past cannot be erased, it can be dealt with, and lived with, and then left behind.” — Deborah Roberts
99. “By faith you must learn from your past, build upon your past, and do better than you did in the past.” — Jerry Falwell
100. “Be compassionate with yourself and let go of judgment about past choices.” — Lauren E. Sullivan
What did you learn from these past quotes?
As human beings we can only ever learn from the past.
Looking at the past can teach us valuable lessons that will help us make the most of the present we are living in today.
Although you should never let your past define you, you should equally not forget the potential it offers for the present and the future.
We hope the above quotes will help you find and use the treasure hidden in the past.
Which of these past quotes was your favorite?
What did you learn from them?
Let us in the comment section below.
Also, don’t forget to share with your friends and followers.
August 21, 2022 6:00 AM EST