These dog quotes will remind you of just how amazing of our canine companions really are.
For many people, there is nothing in this world that is purer than the love of a dog.
A dog is ultimately selfless, and totally devoted to the humans who have chosen them.
There are so many reasons to love dogs.
If you’re a dog owner, you probably love your pup in the same way as a family member.
Whether it’s waiting at the door when they know you’re coming home or wagging and happy barking when excited for food, dogs have a special place in our lives.
When you’re feeling down after a hard day, you can always count on your pet dog to improve your mood.
A dog will always love you unconditionally.
Even though you might get busy and lack the time to spend with them, your canine companion will always remain loyal and loving.
You are never friendless if you have a dog.
To help you celebrate your pup, below is our collection of cute, funny, and inspirational dog quotes, dog sayings, and dog proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quote category page has even more inspirational and educational quotes.
Dog Quotes About Man’s Best Friend To Inspire You
1. “You know, a dog can snap you out of any kind of bad mood that you’re in faster than you can think of.” – Jill Abramson
You will also enjoy our article on pet quotes.
2. “Dogs are better than human beings because they know but do not tell.” – Emily Dickinson
3. “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.” ― Josh Billings
4. “Dogs are miracle with paws.” — Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy
5. “A dog will teach you, unconditional love. If you can have that in your life, things won’t be too bad.” – Robert Wagner
6. “There’s just something about dogs that makes you feel good. You come home, they’re thrilled to see you. They’re good for the ego.” – Janet Schnellman
7. “If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man.” – Mark Twain
8. “No man can be condemned for owning a dog. As long as he has a dog, he has a friend.” — Will Rogers
9. “Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” – Roger Caras
10. “A dog doesn’t care if you’re rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his.” – John Grogan
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of German Shepherd quotes that will make you want a GSD puppy.
The best dog quotes to celebrate your canine companions
11. “The dog was created specially for children. He is the god of frolic.” – Henry Ward
12. “When I look into the eyes of an animal I do not see an animal. I see a living being. I see a friend. I feel a soul.” - A.D. Williams
13. “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.” – M.K. Clinton
14. “I like dogs. You always know what a dog is thinking. It has four moods. Happy, sad, cross, and concentrating. Also, dogs are faithful and they do not tell lies because they cannot talk.” – Mark Haddon
15. “A dog is the only thing that can mend a crack in your broken heart.” – Judy Desmond
16. “I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me, they are the Role Model for being alive.” – Gilda Radner
17. “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” – Will Rogers
18. “The greatest fear dogs know is the fear that you will not come back when you go out the door without them.” – Stanley Coren
19. “Dogs are how people would be if the important stuff is all that mattered to us.” – Ashly Lorenzana
20. “Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer.” – Dean Koontz
You might also like these funny dog quotes that will make you LOL with your furry friends.
Dog quotes to help you appreciate your pup
21. “Don’t accept your dog’s admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.” – Ann Landers
22. “The love of a dog is a pure thing. He gives you a trust which is total. You must not betray it.” – Michel Houellebecq
23. “Until one has loved an animal a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ― Anatole France
24. “If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.” – James Thurber
25. “When you adopt a dog, you have a lot of very good days and one very bad day.” – W. Bruce Cameron
26. “Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog, it merely expands the heart.” – Erica Jong
27. “No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does.” – Christopher Morley
28. “Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends.” – Alexander Pope
29. “If you don’t have a dog–at least one–there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life.” – Vincent van Gog
30. “There are three faithful friends: an old wife, an old dog, and ready money.” – Benjamin Franklin
Dog quotes to celebrate a special kind of love
31. “I want to love like a dog, with unabashed devotion and complete lack of concern about what people do for a living, how much money they have, or how much they weigh.” – Oprah Winfrey
32. “The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants.” – Johnny Depp
33. “If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.” – Woodrow Wilson
34. “If you want loyalty get a dog. If you want loyalty and attention, get a smart dog.” — Grant Fairley
35. “For me a house or an apartment becomes a home when you add one set of four legs, a happy tail, and that indescribable measure of love that we call a dog.” – Roger Caras
36. “Everybody should have a shelter dog. It’s good for the soul.” – Paul Shaffer
37. “Puppies are nature’s remedy for feeling unloved, plus numerous other ailments of life.” — Ann Landers
38. “Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.” – Dean Koontz
39. “It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them.” – John Grogan
40. “Everything I know, I learned from dogs.” – Nora Roberts
Dog quotes that describe how much they mean to us
41. “A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.” – Robert Benchley
42. “The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too.” — Samuel Butle
43. “My little dog – a heartbeat at my feet.” – Edith Wharton
44. “No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you feel rich.” – Louis Sabin
45. “Everyone thinks they have the best dog. And none of them are wrong.” — W.R. Purche
46. “You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
47. “The poor dog, in life the firmest friend. The first to welcome, foremost to defend.” – Lord Byron
48. “I have found that when you are deeply troubled, there are things you get from the silent devoted companionship of a dog that you can get from no other source.” – Doris Day
49. “If I could be half the person my dog is, I’d be twice the human I am” - Charles Yu
50. “Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them, and filling the emptiness we didn’t ever know we had” – Thom Jones
Cute and sentimental dog quotes
51. “The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.” — Ambrose Bierce
52. “Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.” ― Sigmund Freud
53. “A lot of times, my best friend was my dog.” – Rose Namajunas
54. “They [dogs] never talk about themselves but listen to you while you talk about yourself, and keep up an appearance of being interested in the conversation.” – Jerome K. Jerome
55. “Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.” — Graucho Marx
56. “Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail.” – Kinky Friedman
57. “There’s a saying. If you want someone to love you forever, buy a dog, feed it and keep it around.” – Dick Dale
58. “I believe in integrity. Dogs have it. Humans are sometimes lacking it.” ― Cesar Millan
59. “No matter how you’re feeling, a little dog gonna love you.” – Waka Flocka Flame
60. “I let the dog out, or I let him in, and we talk some. I let him know I like him, and he lets me know he likes me.” – Kurt Vonnegut
More dog quotes and sayings
61. “The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.” – Andy Rooney
62. “Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made.” – Roger Caras
63. “Dogs are great. Bad dogs, if you can really call them that, are perhaps the greatest of them all.” – John Grogan
64. “People love dogs. You can never go wrong adding a dog to the story.” – Jim Butcher
65. “You can usually tell that a man is good if he has a dog who loves him.” – W. Bruce Cameron
66. “Dogs are the magicians of the universe.” – Clarissa Pinkola Estés
67. “The dog has seldom been successful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his.” – James Thurber
68. “Don’t make the mistake of treating your dogs like humans, or they’ll treat you like dogs.” – Martha Scott
69. “A dog can’t think that much about what he’s doing, he just does what feels right.” – Barbara Kingsolver
Dog quotes to put a smile on your face
71. “What do dogs do on their day off? Can’t lie around—that’s their job.” – George Carlin
72. “Scratch a dog and you’ll find a permanent job.” – Franklin P. Jones
73. “Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog.” – Franklin P. Jones
74. “Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day.” – John Grogan
75. “There ain’t a man livin’ who hasn’t talked to his dog.” – Hank Williams
76. “Why does watching a dog be a dog fill one with happiness?” – Jonathan Safran Foer
77. “You learn in this business: It you want a friend, get a dog.” – Carl Icahn
78. “Did you know that there are over 300 words for love in canine?” – Gabriel Zevin
79. “The dog lives for the day, the hour, even the moment.” – Robert Falcon Scott
80. “Dogs do speak, but only to those who low how to listen.” – Orhan Pamuk
Other fun dog quotes
81. “A well trained dog will make no attempt to share your lunch. He will just make you feel so guilty that you cannot enjoy it.” – Helen Thomson
82. “Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul, chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we’re the greatest hunters on earth!” – Anne Tyler
83. “If aliens saw us walking our dogs and picking up their poop, who would they think is in charge?” – Unknown
84. “Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” – Sian Ford
85. “Dogs are like potato chips. You can’t have just one.” – Unknown
86. “No home decor is complete without dog hair.” – Unknown
87. “I don’t think twice about picking up my dog’s poop, but if another dog’s poop is next to it, I think, ‘Eww, dog poop!” – Jonah Goldberg
88. My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That’s almost $21.00 in dog money.” – Joe Weinstein
89. “You can trust your dog to guard your house but never trust your dog to guard your sandwich.” – Unknown
90. What a dog I got, his favorite bone is in my arm.” – Rodney Dangerfield
Dog quotes that teach us something about life
91. “The dog that trots about finds a bone.” — Golda Meir
92. “Don’t let the same dog bite you twice.” — Chuck Berry
93. “Revenge is often like biting a dog because the dog bit you.” — Austin O’Malley
94. “You kick a dog long enough, that dog is going to bite you or die.” — Dave Pelzer
95. “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog.” — Mark Twain
96. “Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain’t the lead dog, the scenery never changes.” — Lewis Grizzard
97. “Man is an animal that makes bargains: no other animal does this – no dog exchanges bones with another.” — Adam Smith
98. “How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Saying that a tail is a leg doesn’t make it a leg.” — Abraham Lincoln
99. “To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring—it was peace.” — Milan Kundera
100. “The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too.” — Samuel Butler
Additional dog quotes for pet lovers
101. “Dogs got personality. Personality goes a long way.” – Quentin Tarantino
102. “A dog desires affection more than its dinner. Well – almost. – Charlotte Gray
103. “A lot of shelter dogs are mutts like me.” – Barack Obama
104. “Some of my best leading men have been dogs and horses.” – Elizabeth Taylor
105. “When an 85-pound mammal licks your tears away and then tries to sit on your lap, it’s hard to feel sad.” – Kristan Higgins
106. “You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.” – Harry Truman
107. “I was thinking of getting a German Shepherd once, but I didn’t want to learn another language just to have a dog.” – Unknown
108. “Why spend $5000 on a home security system when I’ve already got a German Shepherd” – Unknown
109. “Every dog must have his day.” – Jonathan Swift
110. “I don’t understand people who don’t touch their pets. Their cat or dog is called a pet for a reason.” – Jarod Kintz
Dog quotes that remind us they’re so easy to love
111. “The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.” -Charles de Gaulle
112. “Dogs and philosophers do the greatest good and get the fewest rewards.” -Diogenes
113. “Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God.” -Christopher Hitchens
114. “Dogs laugh, but they laugh with their tails.” -Max Eastman
115. “Dogs don’t rationalize. They don’t hold anything against a person. They don’t see the outside of a human but the inside of a human.” -Cesar Millan
116. “You call to a dog and a dog will break its neck to get to you. Dogs just want to please.” -Lewis Grizzard
117. “When there are dogs and music, people have a good time.” -Emmylou Harris
118. “Dogs have boundless enthusiasm but no sense of shame. I should have a dog as a life coach.” -Moby
119. “Dogs are wise. They crawl away into a quiet corner and lick their wounds and do not rejoin the world until they are whole once more.” -Agatha Christie
120. “Because of the dog’s joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift.” -Mary Oliver
Dog quotes about different dog breeds
121. “The Dalmatian breed of dog has many primitive characteristics.” – Louis Leakey
122. “Franchesca and Sharkey, my French bulldogs, have their own blog. And they are brilliant at it.” – Martha Stewart
123. “I like to be at home because I just travel so much. I have four dogs, golden retrievers.” – Denise Richards
124. “I have two poodles – I’m a poodle person.” – Kathryn Newton
125. “German Shepherd…more like German Shedder.” – Unknown
126. “Snoopy didn’t start off being a Beagle. It’s just that ‘beagle’ is a funny word.” – Charles M. Schulz
127. “He learns a bit more slowly than a shepherd dog, but what he learns he knows forever. The Rottweiler is a very fine character dog, but not everybody is suitable for this type of dog.” – Resi Gerritsen
128. “I have one pug and one Czechoslovakian dog called Prazsky krysarik.” – Agnetha Faltskog
129. “Australian cattle dogs, are not like Labradors, where they just like to just sit around by the fire and get petted. They’re working dogs, so they have a lot of energy, and they can drive you crazy.” – Owen Wilson
130. “Wake up. Hug Frenchie. Have a good day.” – Unknown
Funny Dog Quotes To Make You Smile
131. “I once decided not to date a guy because he wasn’t excited to meet my dog. I mean, this was like not wanting to meet my mother.” — Bonnie Schacter
132. “You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, ‘Wow, you’re right! I never would’ve thought of that!’” — Dave Barry
133. “If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater, suggest that he wear a tail.” — Fran Lebowitz
134. “A boy can learn a lot from a dog — obedience, loyalty, and the importance of turning around three times before lying down.” — Robert Benchley
135. “The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be.” — Konrad Lorenz
136. “My tragedy is that all I want is a dog, and yet I have been cursed with cats all my life.” — Michael Sheen
137. “Happiness is a warm puppy.” — Charles Schulz
138. “A dog is one of the remaining reasons why some people can be persuaded to go for a walk.” — Orlando Aloysius Battista
139.”There is no faith which has never yet been broken, except that of a truly faithful dog.” — Konrad Lorenz
140. Before you get a dog, you can’t quite imagine what living with one might be like; afterward, you can’t imagine living any other way.” — Caroline Knapp
Dog Quotes That Describe Their Love and Loyalty
141. “The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man’s.” ― Mark Twain
142. “My fashion philosophy is, if you’re not covered in dog hair, your life is empty.” ― Elayne Boosler
143. “When the dog looks at you, the dog is not thinking what kind of a person you are. The dog is not judging you.” ― Eckhart Tolle
144. “Opening up your life to a dog who needs a home is one of the most fulfilling things you can do.” ― Emma Kenney
145. “Nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he’s owned a dog.” ― Gene Hill
146. “Intelligent dogs rarely want to please people whom they do not respect.” ― W.R. Koehler
147. “Dogs have more love than integrity. They’ve been true to us, yes, but they haven’t been true to themselves.” ― Clarence Day
148. “They say the smart dog obeys but the smarter dog knows when to disobey.” ― Amy Hempel
149. “Dogs don’t lie. A dog’s tail is a strikingly honest window to their souls.” ― Jim Hillibish
150. “A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog when you are just as hungry as the dog.” ― Jack London
Which of these dog quotes is your favorite?
Dogs mean so much to us.
They show loyalty to us, protect us, are our exercise partners, and they love us more than they love themselves.
If you’re an animal lover, you’ll agree with us that dogs are among the sweetest, cutest and most lovable pets.
We hope the dog quotes above have given you reason to celebrate your canine companions.
Did you enjoy these dog quotes?
Which of the quotes is your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.
December 9, 2022 5:13 AM EST