These dog quotes will remind you of just how amazing of our canine companions really are.
For many people, there is nothing in this world that is purer than the love of a dog. A dog is ultimately selfless, and totally devoted to the humans who have chosen them.
There are so many reasons to love dogs. If you’re a dog owner, you probably love your pup in the same way as a family member.
Whether it’s waiting at the door when they know you’re coming home or wagging and happy barking when excited for food, dogs have a special place in our lives.
When you’re feeling down after a hard day, you can always count on your pet dog to improve your mood.
A dog will always love you unconditionally. Even though you might get busy and lack the time to spend with them, your canine companion will always remain loyal and loving. You are never friendless if you have a dog.
To help you celebrate your pup, below is our collection of cute, funny, and inspirational dog quotes, dog sayings, and dog proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Dog Quotes About Man’s Best Friend To Inspire You
1. “You know, a dog can snap you out of any kind of bad mood that you’re in faster than you can think of.” – Jill Abramson
2. “Dogs are better than human beings because they know but do not tell.” – Emily Dickinson
3. “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.” ― Josh Billings
4. “Dogs are miracle with paws.” — Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy
5. “A dog will teach you, unconditional love. If you can have that in your life, things won’t be too bad.” – Robert Wagner
6. “There’s just something about dogs that makes you feel good. You come home, they’re thrilled to see you. They’re good for the ego.” – Janet Schnellman
7. “If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man.” – Mark Twain
8. “No man can be condemned for owning a dog. As long as he has a dog, he has a friend.” — Will Rogers
9. “Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” – Roger Caras
10. “A dog doesn’t care if you’re rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his.” – John Grogan
The best dog quotes to celebrate your canine companions
11. “The dog was created specially for children. He is the god of frolic.” – Henry Ward
12. “When I look into the eyes of an animal I do not see an animal. I see a living being. I see a friend. I feel a soul.” - A.D. Williams
13. “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.” – M.K. Clinton
14. “I like dogs. You always know what a dog is thinking. It has four moods. Happy, sad, cross, and concentrating. Also, dogs are faithful and they do not tell lies because they cannot talk.” – Mark Haddon
15. “A dog is the only thing that can mend a crack in your broken heart.” – Judy Desmond
16. “I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me, they are the role model for being alive.” – Gilda Radner
17. “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” – Will Rogers
18. “The greatest fear dogs know is the fear that you will not come back when you go out the door without them.” – Stanley Coren
19. “Dogs are how people would be if the important stuff is all that mattered to us.” – Ashly Lorenzana
20. “Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart as deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer.” – Dean Koontz
You might also like these funny dog quotes that will make you LOL with your furry friends.
Dog quotes to help you appreciate your pup
21. “Don’t accept your dog’s admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.” – Ann Landers
22. “The love of a dog is a pure thing. He gives you a trust which is total. You must not betray it.” – Michel Houellebecq
23. “Until one has loved an animal a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” ― Anatole France
24. “If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.” – James Thurber
25. “When you adopt a dog, you have a lot of very good days and one very bad day.” – W. Bruce Cameron
26. “Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog, it merely expands the heart.” – Erica Jong
27. “No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does.” – Christopher Morley
28. “Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends.” – Alexander Pope
29. “If you don’t have a dog–at least one–there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life.” – Vincent van Gogh
30. “There are three faithful friends: an old wife, an old dog, and ready money.” – Benjamin Franklin
Dog quotes to celebrate a special kind of love
31. “I want to love like a dog, with unabashed devotion and complete lack of concern about what people do for a living, how much money they have, or how much they weigh.” – Oprah Winfrey
32. “The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants.” – Johnny Depp
33. “If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.” – Woodrow Wilson
34. “If you want loyalty get a dog. If you want loyalty and attention, get a smart dog.” — Grant Fairley
35. “For me a house or an apartment becomes a home when you add one set of four legs, a happy tail, and that indescribable measure of love that we call a dog.” – Roger Caras
36. “Everybody should have a shelter dog. It’s good for the soul.” – Paul Shaffer
37. “Puppies are nature’s remedy for feeling unloved, plus numerous other ailments of life.” — Ann Landers
38. “Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.” – Dean Koontz
39. “It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them.” – John Grogan
40. “Everything I know, I learned from dogs.” – Nora Roberts
Dog quotes that describe how much they mean to us
41. “A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.” – Robert Benchley
42. “The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too.” — Samuel Butle
43. “My little dog – a heartbeat at my feet.” – Edith Wharton
44. “No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you feel rich.” – Louis Sabin
45. “Everyone thinks they have the best dog. And none of them are wrong.” — W.R. Purche
46. “You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
47. “The poor dog, in life the firmest friend. The first to welcome, foremost to defend.” – Lord Byron
48. “I have found that when you are deeply troubled, there are things you get from the silent devoted companionship of a dog that you can get from no other source.” – Doris Day
49. “If I could be half the person my dog is, I’d be twice the human I am” - Charles Yu
50. “Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them, and filling the emptiness we didn’t ever know we had” – Thom Jones
Cute and sentimental dog quotes
51. “The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.” — Ambrose Bierce
52. “Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.” ― Sigmund Freud
53. “A lot of times, my best friend was my dog.” – Rose Namajunas
54. “They [dogs] never talk about themselves but listen to you while you talk about yourself, and keep up an appearance of being interested in the conversation.” – Jerome K. Jerome
55. “Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.” — Graucho Marx
56. “Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail.” – Kinky Friedman
57. “There’s a saying. If you want someone to love you forever, buy a dog, feed it and keep it around.” – Dick Dale
58. “I believe in integrity. Dogs have it. Humans are sometimes lacking it.” ― Cesar Millan
59. “No matter how you’re feeling, a little dog gonna love you.” – Waka Flocka Flame
60. “I let the dog out, or I let him in, and we talk some. I let him know I like him, and he lets me know he likes me.” – Kurt Vonnegut
More dog quotes and sayings
61. “The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.” – Andy Rooney
62. “Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made.” – Roger Caras
63. “Dogs are great. Bad dogs, if you can really call them that, are perhaps the greatest of them all.” – John Grogan
64. “People love dogs. You can never go wrong adding a dog to the story.” – Jim Butcher
65. “You can usually tell that a man is good if he has a dog who loves him.” – W. Bruce Cameron
66. “Dogs are the magicians of the universe.” – Clarissa Pinkola Estés
67. “The dog has seldom been successful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his.” – James Thurber
68. “Don’t make the mistake of treating your dogs like humans, or they’ll treat you like dogs.” – Martha Scott
69. “A dog can’t think that much about what he’s doing, he just does what feels right.” – Barbara Kingsolver
Which of these dog quotes is your favorite?
Dogs mean so much to us. They show loyalty to us, protect us, are our exercise partners, and they love us more than they love themselves.
If you’re an animal lover, you’ll agree with us that dogs are among the sweetest, cutest and most lovable pets. We hope the dog quotes above have given you reason to celebrate your canine companions.
Did you enjoy these dog quotes? Which of the quotes is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
March 10, 2021 6:00 AM EST