These solid quotes explain how we can be ‘firm and stable in shape; not liquid or fluid’ in various parts of our lives.
Whether it is building a solid foundation in ourselves or physical things, or referring to solid as an actual state of matter, you will find a deep quote that is perfect for your situation.
My favorite quote talks about we all want to be ‘solid’ in life, but life itself is fluid, making that goal nearly impossible. There is so much truth wrapped up in this statement, and it can apply to our physical and emotional state.
You can do everything to make sure your life is solid like having stable employment and living in a safe environment. In a single moment, though, you can lose your job, or a natural disaster can wipe away your house.
This isn’t meant to scare you, but rather show how quickly life can shake what we believe to be solid. This is where having a strong sense of self and a solid foundation based on resiliency is critical.
Keep reading through these solid quotes to find one that resonates with you and inspires you to dig deep!
Don’t forget to also check out these challenge quotes about life and tough times.
Short solid quotes about having a good foundation
1. “Humility is the solid foundation of all virtues.” ― Confucius
2. “All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.” ― Max Beerbohm
3. “A solid idea is a firm foundation of a universe construction.” ― Toba Beta, My Ancestor Was an Ancient Astronaut
4. “Only people who have solid faith overcome the world.” ― Sunday Adelaja
5. “One must have first of all a solid foundation.” ― Sri Aurobindo
6. “That solid basis for a foundation of faith is personal integrity.” ― Henry B. Eyring
7. “Nobody is solid and perfect all of the time.” ― Drew Barrymore
8. “Everyone loves to create ideas but fewer build upon solid foundations of thought.” ― C.A.A. Savastano
9. “You need a really solid foundation of friends and family to keep you where you need to be.” ― Lilly Singh
10. “Idealism is like a castle in the air if it is not based on a solid foundation of social and political realism.” ― Claude McKay
Solid quotes about life and dreams
11. “I’m solid but don’t ever play with me.” ― Stoney Rose
12. “Senses will lie as dreams wake. You are not on solid ground. Don’t look down.” ― Brian McGreevy, Hemlock Grove
13. “Your dreams are your solid rock; all other dreams are sinking sands! Recreate Your World and I believe you can!” ― Israelmore Ayivor, Shaping the dream
14. “One good teacher in a lifetime may sometimes change a delinquent into a solid citizen.” ― Philip Wylie
15. “The people who you think are the most solid are often the most hurt.” ― Shawn Crahan
16. “The imaginations which people have of one another are the solid facts of society.” ― Charles Horton Cooley
17. “The goal in life is to be solid, whereas the way that life works is totally fluid, so you can never actually achieve that goal.” ― Damien Hirst
18. “All your ideas may be solid or even good… But you have to actually EXECUTE on them for them to matter.” ― Gary Vaynerchuk
19. “A solid answer to everything is not necessary. Blurry concepts influence one to focus, but postulated clarity influences arrogance.” ― Criss Jami, Salomé: In Every Inch In Every Mile
20 “Don’t you enjoy being alive? Don’t you like feeling: This is me, this is my hand, this is my leg, I’m real, I’m solid, I’m alive! Don’t you like this?” ― George Orwell
Solid quotes about marriage, happiness, and love
21. “A solid sense of self will help a person to lead a full and happy life.” ― Kimberly Elise
22. “A solid giggle should do the trick.” ― Lulu
23. “No satisfaction based upon self-deception is solid.” ― Bertrand Russell
24. “In any solid, good relationship, it takes a while to trust someone.” ― Minka Kelly
25. “The only solid and lasting peace between a man and his wife is, doubtless, a separation.” ― Lord Chesterfield
26. “Marriage is the most natural state of man, and… the state in which you will find solid happiness.” ― Benjamin Franklin
27. “Affection is responsible for nine-tenths of whatever solid and durable happiness there is in our lives.” ― C. S. Lewis
28. “To study the self is to forget the self. Maybe if you sat enough zazen, your sense of being a solid, singular self would dissolve and you could forget about it. What a relief. You could just hang out happily as part of an open-ended quantum array.” ― Ruth Ozeki
29. “The most basic and somehow forgettable thing is this: Love is not pain. Love is goodness. And real love—it’s less shiny than solid and simple.” ― Deb Caletti, The Secret Life of Prince Charming
30. “A heart given freely is the most vulnerable and selfless thing one can offer another human being. It can be as fragile and needy as a newly born infant, or as solid and self-supporting as a granite pillar, yet it is the hands of the recipient that determines its ultimate fate.” Mark W. Boyer
Solid quotes about a sound foundation
31. “You can’t build a great building on a weak foundation. You must have a solid foundation if you’re going to have a strong superstructure.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley
32. “To succeed, you will soon learn, as I did, the importance of a solid foundation in the basics of education – literacy, both verbal and numerical, and communication skills.” ― Alan Greenspan
33. “Building a solid foundation in the early years of a child’s life will not only help him or her reach their full potential, but will also result in better societies as a whole.” ― Novak Djokovic
34. “A solid process lays the foundation for a healthy culture, one where ideas are evaluated by merit and not by job title.” ― Eric Ries
35. “A house must be built on solid foundations if it is to last. The same principle applies to man, otherwise, he too will sink back into the soft ground and becomes swallowed up by the world of illusion.” ― Sai Baba
36. “And so it’s up to you to take control of your own life and define you. As long as you understand who you are and you have a solid foundation of understanding what your talents are, what your skills are.” ― Stedman Graham
37. “Be like a solid tower whose brave height remains unmoved by all the winds that blow; the man who lets his thoughts be turned aside by one thing or another will lose sight of his true goal, his mind sapped of its strength.” ― Dante Alighieri
38. “I was set free because my greatest fear had been realized, and I still had a daughter who I adored, and I had an old typewriter and a big idea. And so rock bottom became a solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.” ― J. K. Rowling
39. “If every choice you make comes from an honest place, you’re solid, and nothing anybody can say about you can rock you or change your opinion.” ― Angelina Jolie
40. “A relationship that is truly genuine does not keep changing its colors. Real gold never rusts. If a relationship is really solid and golden, it will be unbreakable. Not even Time can destroy its shine.” ― Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute the Sun: The Writings of Suzy Kassem
Solid quotes about different states of matter and ideas
41. “Everything solid was first an idea.” ― Vanna Bonta
42. “The past is solid, the future is liquid.” ― Jean-Louis Aubert
43. “Some hearts are too solid to be liquefied by the heat of kindness.” ― Spriha Kant
44. “The body is solid material wrapped around the breath.” ― Ida Rolf
45. “You know, once something freezes, it’s solid. That’s the key to the arctic―they didn’t fear the cold, they made use of it.” ― Wade Davis
46. “What appears to us solid is ultimately both a particle and a wavelength, and on that realm everything behaves as both a particle and a wave.” ― Vanna Bonta
47. “You perceive yourself as being solid and physical, limited to a body. You are made up of light, endless mind. The way you see life is a limited state of mind.” ― Frederick Lenz
48. “It is the city of mirrors, the city of mirages, at once solid and liquid, at once air and stone.” ― Erica Jong
49. “Every time a strong wind blows, every sand and dust yearns for being a solid rock, and every solid rock longs for flying with the wind!” ― Mehmet Murat Ildan
50. “The fog ate his companions slowly, dissolving them from solid beings into nothing more than vague shadows which played at being human.” ― William Cook
Solid Quotes about Good Virtues
51. “Home wasn’t a set house, or a single town on a map. It was wherever the people who loved you were, whenever you were together. Not a place, but a moment, and then another, building on each other like bricks to create a solid shelter that you take with you for your entire life, wherever you may go.” – Sarah Dessen
52. “Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
53. “A mission statement is not something you write overnight… But fundamentally, your mission statement becomes your constitution, the solid expression of your vision and values. It becomes the criterion by which you measure everything else in your life.” – Stephen Covey
54. “Be more dedicated to making solid achievements than in running after swift but synthetic happiness.” – A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
55. “The true and solid peace of nations consists not in equality of arms, but in mutual trust alone.” – Pope John XXIII
56. “As long as your intentions are solid and about growth and progression and being productive and not being idle, then you’re doing good in my book.” – Frank Ocean
57. “Want to become a champion? Then build your successes on a solid foundation of failure!” – Jan Garavaglia
58. “Most people are defined by their titles, their cars, their house, where they came from, their color, their race, their religion. And so it’s up to you to take control of your own life and define you. As long as you understand who you are and you have a solid foundation of understanding what your talents are, what your skills are.” – Stedman Graham
59. “When you walk to the edge of all the light you have and take that first step into the darkness of the unknown, you must believe that one of two things will happen. There will be something solid for you to stand upon or you will be taught to fly.” – Patrick Overton
60. “Yet what keeps me from dissolving right now into a complete fairy-tale shimmer is this solid truth, a truth which has veritably built my bones over the last few years–I was not rescued by a prince; I was the administrator of my own rescue.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
Solid quotes on how its intrinsic meaning can be applied to life
61. “Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” – George Orwell
62. “Love is an abstract noun, something nebulous. And yet love turns out to be the only part of us that is solid, as the world turns upside down and the screen goes black.” – Martin Amis
63. “Water is not a solid wall, it will not stop you. But water always goes where it wants to go, and nothing in the end can stand against it. Remember that, my child.” – Margaret Atwood
64. “The floor seemed wonderfully solid. It was comforting to know I had fallen and could fall no farther.” – Sylvia Plath
65. “In each of us lie good and bad, light and dark, art and pain, choice and regret, cruelty and sacrifice. We’re each of us our own chiaroscuro, our own bit of illusion fighting to emerge into something solid, something real.” – Libba Bray
66. “People imagine, and people believe; and it is that rock solid belief, that makes things happen.” – Neil Gaiman
67. “The fact is always obvious much too late, but the most singular difference between happiness and joy is that happiness is a solid and joy a liquid.” – J.D. Salinger
68. “Male and female represent the two sides of the great radical dualism. Fluid hardens to solid, solid rushes to fluid. There is no wholly masculine man, no purely feminine woman.” – Margaret Fuller
69. “What we call real estate – the solid ground to build a house on – is the broad foundation on which nearly all the guilt of this world rests.” – Nathaniel Hawthorne
70.”I’m at a point in my life where I have something solid now. I’m a peaceful person, and I want to be surrounded by peace no matter what I’m doing.” – Cheryl James
Being resilient can help us be more solid
Resiliency is a trait that will help you build solid foundations, but prepare you to adjust when life throws something else at you. Ironically, the thing that enables us to reach solidity is our ability to be fluid.
Even giant rocks in the middle of streams do not ever remain in the same solid state. They might not get pushed downstream, but the water erodes them, changing their shape.
Life and people are like that too. Some get knocked down and end up in a different space, having to readjust drastically. Otters remain fixed but must address the subtle changes in their lives often.
Whether you get knocked down or changed over time, is not really the issue. How you respond to the change in state is a true testament to resiliency. Here are a few things you can do to make sure you build a solid foundation that will help you when things happen.
Start by getting organized. This means developing things like goals and plans. You might need to adjust, but having a vision is the first step of knowing what you want your inner foundation to stand for.
Having a morning routine helps you stay focused and can add momentum. Our bodies are our literal houses, so pay attention to your physical health and stay as strong and well as possible.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these solid quotes and sayings? You can share any other tips on how you stay solid with us in the comment section below.
April 29, 2022 7:00 AM EST