Freedom Quotes on Destiny, Leadership and Independence
November 29, 2022 7:32 AM EST
Enjoy our latest collection of freedom quotes on Everyday Power.
We can define freedom as “the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants.”
It also means having free will and being without undue or unjust constraints or enslavement.
Tell us your favorite freedom quote in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these freedom quotes?
However, for many people, freedom is more than just “having the ability to act or change without constraint.”
It means ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity for:
- the pursuit of happiness
Freedom allows you to decide for yourself and determine the direction of your life.
It allows you to create your own life and well-being.
Therefore, you can use your freedom to create something meaningful.
To pursue a vision and live a purposeful life.
People’s sense of autonomy and freedom has been directly linked to their well-being.
Here are some inspirational freedom quotes to give you the courage to make your own choices and determine how you live your life.
For even more inspiration, also check out our collection of quotes about service to country and community.
You may also enjoy our collection of Frederick Douglass quotes.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you want more motivational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Freedom Quotes on Destiny, Leadership, and Independence
1. “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” ― Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on freedom of speech quotes.
2. “I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” ― Charlotte Brontë
You will also enjoy our article on free spirit quotes.
3. “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.” – Abraham Lincoln
You will also enjoy our article on Benjamin Franklin quotes.
4. “The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.” ― Coco Chanel
5. “Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.” – George Bernard Shaw
6. True independence and freedom can only exist in doing what’s right. – Brigham Young
7. Just living is not enough… one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower. – Hans Christian Andersen
8. Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. ― George Orwell
9. “Freedom is what we do with what is done to us.” ― Jean-Paul Sartre
10. “He who has overcome his fears will truly be free.” ― Aristotle
Freedom quotes to inspire you to live your best life
11. What then is freedom? The power to live as one wishes. – Marcus Tullius Cicero
12. A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom. – Bob Dylan
13. People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. – Soren Kierkegaard
14. Freedom is something that dies unless it’s used. – Hunter S. Thompson
15. Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from. – Vernon Howard
16. To enjoy freedom we have to control ourselves. – Virginia Woolf
17. Liberty is slow fruit. It is never cheap; it is made difficult because freedom is the accomplishment and perfectness of man. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
18. “Freedom in general may be defined as the absence of obstacles to the realization of desires.” – Bertrand Russell
19. “The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” – Albert Camus
20. “Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.”
— Mahatma Gandhi
Also, read these powerful Braveheart quotes that will inspire you to find your freedom.
Inspirational Freedom quotes to motivate you to fight for your dreams
21. Freedom is never given; it is won. – A. Philip Randolph
22. “Better to die fighting for freedom then be a prisoner all the days of your life.” ― Bob Marley
23. Who would be free themselves must strike the blow. Better even to die free than to live slaves. – Frederick Douglass
24. Freedom is not for the weak. – Tony Calderone
25. “There’s no freedom quite like the freedom of being constantly underestimated.” ― Scott Lynch
26. “I prefer liberty with danger than peace with slavery.” ― Jean-Jacques Rousseau
27. “Freedom is not something that anybody can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be.” ― James Baldwin
28. “In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved.” — Franklin D. Roosevelt
29. “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it.” ― Thomas Paine
30. “Freedom lies in being bold.”— Robert Frost
Don’t forget to also check out these history quotes that will open your eyes to stories of the past.
Freedom quotes to set you free
31. Liberty: One of imagination’s most precious possessions. – Ambrose Bierce
32. “The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
33. To enjoy freedom we have to control ourselves. – Virginia Woolf
34. Freedom is always and exclusively freedom for the one who thinks differently. – Rosa Luxemburg
35. “And the turtles, of course…all the turtles are free, as turtles and, maybe, all creatures should be.” ― Dr. Seuss
36. You can’t separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom. – Malcolm X
37. “Freedom is the oxygen of the soul.” – Moshe Dayan
38. “I’m a big advocate of freedom: freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom of thought.” – Jimmy Wales
39. “Freedom is the open window through which pours the sunlight of the human spirit and human dignity.”— Herbert Hoover
40. “I would like to be remembered as a person who wanted to be free… so other people would be also free.” – Rosa Parks
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of liberty quotes from the founding fathers and other great patriots.
Other inspirational Freedom quotes
41. “Economic freedom is … an indispensable means toward the achievement of political freedom.” – Milton Friedman
42. “My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular.” – Adlai Stevenson
43. “A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself.” ― Jim Morrison
44. “Those people, who hate you, envy your freedom.” ― Santosh Kalwar
45. “Life without liberty is like a body without spirit.”— Kahlil Gibran
46. “Freedom is the will to be responsible to ourselves.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
47. “The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.”– Gloria Steinem
48. “For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.”— Nelson Mandela
49. “Freedom is not a reward or a decoration that is celebrated with champagne…Oh no! It’s a…long distance race, quite solitary and very exhausting.” – Albert Camus
50. “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.” – Edward R. Murrow
More freedom quotes and sayings
51. “Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.” – William Jennings Bryan
52. “There is a destiny that makes us brothers; none goes his way alone. All that we send into the lives of others comes back into our own.” – Edwin Markham
53. “There is a destiny that shapes our ends rough, hew them as we will.” – Frank Harris
54. “It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” – Tony Robbins
55. “Don’t be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.” – Rumi
56. “When I discover who I am, I’ll be free.” – Ralph Ellison
57. “The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself.” – Michel de Montaigne
58. “Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.” – Steve Jobs
59. “A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.” – John C. Maxwell
60. “Leadership – leadership is about taking responsibility, not making excuses.” – Mitt Romney
Insightful freedom quotes to contemplate on
61. “Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.” ―
62. “We wanted the freedom to love. We wanted the freedom to choose. Now we have to fight for it.” ―
63. “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.” ―
64. “Real freedom is freedom from the opinions of others. Above all, freedom from your opinions about yourself. ” ―
65. “It is the preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly.” ―
66. “He who is brave is free.” ―
67. “Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” ―
68. “Freedom is the only worthy goal in life. It is won by disregarding things that lie beyond our control.” ―
69. “There is a huge amount of freedom that comes to you when you take nothing personally.” ―
70. “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” ― Ronald Reagan
Which are your favorite freedom quotes?
Freedom gives us the ability to make our own choices and determine the life we want to live.
It allows us to choose our future.
So if you’re seeking to create more freedom for yourself, the most important question to ask is … what will you do once you find it?
Hopefully, these freedom quotes have inspired you to be free within yourself and live your best life.
Did you enjoy these freedom quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
Tell us in the comment section below.
If you found this article insightful, please share it with your friends on social media.