To earn the love of a cat is like no other, and these cat quotes will speak right to your crazy cat lover heart.
Many people love cats. According to figures by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), Americans own between 74 and 96 million cats. That’s a huge number of people who love their feline friends.
Cat ownership has a number of benefits. Being a cat owner can fulfill your need for companionship, lower your stress levels, boost your energy, and create positive emotions.
Owning a cat is one of the best ways of coping during difficult times. They serve as a social support and can help you get over your loss of a loved one more quickly. Besides, cats can keep you laughing with all the goofy things they do.
While cats need to be cared for like any other pet, they don’t need to consume much of your time. Unlike dogs, cats don’t need to be bathed, walked, or regularly let outside. Also, they are a relatively inexpensive companion that can fit in small spaces.
To remind you just how awesome they are, below is our collection of inspirational, cute, and loving cat quotes, cat sayings, and cat proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years. Enjoy!
Also check out these inspirational horse quotes that will inspire you to take a ride.
Cat Quotes That Are Too Perfect For Words
1. “I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul.” — Jean Cocteau
2. “A cat has beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, all the virtues of man without his vices.” – Lord Byron
3. “What greater gift than the love of a cat?” — Charles Dickens
4. “You can’t ever be a cat owner; in the best of cases it allows you to be their companion.” – Harry Swanson
5. “When I feel bad I just look at my cats and my courage returns.” – Charles Bukowski (see more quotes from Bukowski)
6. “Cats are mysterious; they have more on their mind that we could never imagine.” – Walter Scott
7. “It is impossible to keep a straight face in the presence of one or more kittens.” – Cynthia E. Varnado
8. “My relationships with my cats has saved me from a deadly, pervasive ignorance.” — William S. Burroughs
9. “The ideal of calm exists in a sitting cat.” – Jules Renard
10. “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” — Albert Schweitzer
Also read these curiosity quotes that will inspire you to explore the world around you.
Cat quotes to celebrate our feline friends
11. “Cats choose us; we don’t own them.” — Kristin Cast
12. “I love all animals. I just happen to prefer cats. They’re really chill, and they’re loving yet not loving. I relate to them, in a way.” – Camren Bicondova
13. “If a cat spoke, it would say things like ‘Hey, I don’t see the problem here.” – Roy Blount Jr.
14. “Respecting a cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense.” – Erasmus Darwin
15. “Cats do not have to be shown how to have a good time, for they are unfailing ingenious in that respect.” — James Mason
16. “Cats have an absolute emotional honesty; humans, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but the cat, does not.” – Ernest Hemingway
17. “Time spent with cats is never wasted.” — Sigmund Freud
18. “It is a very difficult task to earn a cat’s affection; they will be your friend if you feel that you are worthy of their friendship, but not your slave.” – Théophile Gautier
19. “The only thing a cat worries about is what’s happening right now.” – Lloyd Alexander
20. “Dogs come when they’re called; cats take a message and get back to you later.” – Mary Bly
Cat quotes that prove how awesome they really are
21. “That’s the great secret of creativity. You treat ideas like cats: you make them follow you.” ― Ray Bradbury
22. “Cats have it all: admiration, an endless sleep, and company only when they want it.” – Rod McKuen
23. “Dogs look at us as their gods, horses as their peers, but the cats look to us as their subjects.” – Winston Churchill
24. “Cats are inquisitive, but hate to admit it.” – Mason Cooley
25. “I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through.” — Jules Verne
26. “A kitten is the delight of a household. All day long a comedy is played out by an incomparable actor.” – Champfleury
27. “The cat is the only animal that has managed to tame man.” – Marce Mauss
28. “How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven.” — Robert A. Heinlein
29. “Kittens are angels with whiskers.” – Alexis Flora Hope
30. “There are few things in life more heartwarming than to be welcomed by a cat.” – Tay Hohoff
You might also like these short funny dog quotes that will make you LOL with your furry friends.
Cat quotes that will make your day
31. “It is good to have a lot of cats around. If you feel bad, you look at the cats and you feel better, because they know that things are as they are.” – Charles Bukowski
32. “My cat never laughs or complains, he is always reasoning.” – Miguel de Unamuno
33. “One cat just leads to another.” – Ernest Hemingway
34. “Cats possess so many of the same qualities as some people that it is often hard to tell the people and the cats apart.” — P.J. O’Rourke
35. “Like all pure creatures, cats are practical.” – William S. Burroughs
36. “There is truly not a single quality of the cat that man should not seek to emulate to improve.” – Carl van Vechten
37. “Cats randomly refuse to follow orders to prove they can.” – Ilona Andrews
38. “The problem with cats is that they get the same exact look whether they see a moth or an axe-murderer.” – Paula Poundstone
39. “Cats, like men, are flatterers.” — Walter Savage Landor
40. “I’m not sure why I like cats so much. I mean, they’re really cute obviously. They are both wild and domestic at the same time.” – Michael Showalter
Have you seen these insightful snake quotes that will make your fears disappear?
More cat quotes to inspire you
41. “In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.” – Terry Pratchett
42. “Of all God’s creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat.” — Mark Twain
43. “Just watching my cats can make me happy.” – Paula Cole
44. “A happy arrangement: many people prefer cats to other people, and many cats prefer people to other cats.” – Mason Cooley
45. “Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Read our collection of dog quotes about our favorite four legged friends.
46. “Cats are connoisseurs of comfort.” — James Herriot
47. “I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It’s not. Mine had me trained in two days.” – Bill Dana
48. “Cats know how to obtain food without labor, shelter without confinement, and love without penalties.” – W. L. George
49. “God made the cat to offer men the pleasure of stroking a tiger.” – Francois Joseph Mery
50. “I have felt cats rubbing their faces against mine and touching my cheek with claws carefully sheathed. These things, to me, are expressions of love.” – James Herriot
Don’t forget to also read these bird quotes and sayings that will inspire you to spread your wings and fly.
Other cute cat quotes
51. “Authors like cats because they are such quiet, lovable, wise creatures, and cats like authors for the same reasons.” – Robertson Davies
52. “Holding this soft, small living creature in my lap this way, though, and seeing how it slept with complete trust in me, I felt a warm rush in my chest. I put my hand on the cat’s chest and felt his heart beating. The pulse was faint and fast, but his heart, like mine, was ticking off the time allotted to his small body with all the restless earnestness of my own.” – Haruki Murakami
53. “A cat can make you feel well rested when you’re tired or turn a rage into a calm just by sitting on your lap. His very nearness is a healing song.” – Shannon Hale
54. “Cats are marvelous creatures – they either adapt to circumstances or decide to make circumstances adapt to them. Either way – they win.” – Will Advise
55. “Cats may walk by themselves, but there are times when they need our support.” – Dr. Nicholas Dodman
56. “Once a cat loves you, it loves you till the end.” – Will Advise
57. “Cats like keyboards, people like to explore and to discover new mysteries.” – Deyth Banger
58. “Cats speak the language of comfort and coolness and therefore we feel comfortable and cool whenever we see a cat!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
59. “Cats are absolute individuals, with their own ideas about everything, including the people they own.” – John Dingman
60. “Feeling the weight of a cat’s paws pressing into your shoulders in the middle of the night – not much beats that.” – Hiro Arikawa
Did you enjoy these cat quotes?
Cats are the kings of the internet, and rightly so. Having them around you can be just as rewarding and beneficial as any other animal friendship.
These fluffy, independent felines can lower your risk of heart disease, offer comfort, make you sleep better, and reduce stress and anxiety. Hopefully, the above quotes have reminded you how awesome kitty-cats are.
Which of these cat quotes resonated best with you? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below.
March 1, 2021 6:00 AM EST