Enjoy these February quotes that will help you get a jump on your spring cleaning.
February is one of my favorite months. Even though it is the shortest month of the year, it is jam-packed with events, including Groundhog Day and Valentine’s Day! It is Black History month, as well as: American Heart Month, Canned Food Month, Grapefruit Month, and Hot Breakfast Month! Who knew that a month with only 28 (or 29 days) could fit all that in!
The weather can be a little crazy…this might have something to do with the fact that we get our information from a groundhog, or maybe it’s just the crazy Montana weather in general!
On those cold wintery days, you can channel February’s namesake, Februa (a roman cleansing ritual) and get a jump on your spring cleaning! Even better, grab a blanket and read through these fun February quotes!
Don’t forget to also read these magnificent March quotes for more inspiration.
Windy and Wintery February quotes
1. “February is the border between winter and spring.” ― Terri Guillemets
2. “February, when the days of winter seem endless and no amount of wistful recollecting can bring back any air of summer.” ― Shirley Jackson
3. “Late February days; and now, at last, Might you have thought that winter’s woe was past; So fair the sky was and so soft the air.” ― William Morris
4. “The bitter winds in February were sometimes called the First East Winds, but the longing for spring somehow made them seem more piercing.” ― Eiji Yoshikawa
5. “February, a form pale-vestured, wildly fair. One of the North Wind’s daughters with icicles in her hair.” ― Edgar Fawcett
6. “On the wind in February, snowflakes float still. Half inclined to turn to rain, nipping, dripping, chill.” ― Christina Georgina Rossetti
7. “Even winter, the hardest season, the most implacable, dreams, as February creeps on, of the flame that will presently melt it away. Everything tires with time and starts to seek some opposition, to save it from itself.”― Clive Barker
8. “Cold and snowy February does seem slow and trying, very. Still, a month made gay by Cupid never could be wholly stupid.” ― Louise Bennett Weaver
9. “Freezing cold winds, biting chills, and white snow fluffed hills Valentine’s day, oh how gay! Presidents’ Day is coming our way. February, sweet and small, the greatest month of all.” ― Eric Lies
10. “January cold and desolate; February dripping wet.” ― Christina Giorgina Rossetti
11. “The shortest day has passed, and whatever nastiness of weather we may look forward to in January and February, at least we notice that the days are getting longer.” ― V. Sackville-West
12. “Thick February mists cling heavily to the dead earth and to each leafless tree.” ― Emma Lazarus
Did you read these motivational January quotes to elevate your new year?
Sunny “springish” February quotes
13. “The February sunshine steeps your boughs and tints the buds and swells the leaves within.” ― William C. Bryant
14. “There is always in February some one day, at least, when one smells the yet distant, but surely coming summer.” ― Gertrude Jekyll
15. “While it is February one can taste the full joys of anticipation. Spring stands at the gate with her finger on the latch.” ― Patience Strong
16. “February brings the rain, Thaws the frozen lake again.” ― Sara Coleridge
17. “Today is the first of February, snowy, brilliant, but dripping with the sound of spring wherever the sun lies warm, and calling with the heart of spring yonder where the crows are assembling. There is spring in the talk of the chickadees outside my window, and in the cheerful bluster of a red squirrel in the hickory.” ― Dallas Lore Sharp
18. “A small bird twitters on a leafless spray, across the snow-waste, breaks a gleam of gold. What token can I give my friend today? But February blossoms, pure and cold? Frail gifts from Nature’s half-reluctant hand. I see the signs of spring about the land. These chill snowdrops, fresh from wintry bowers are the forerunners of a world of flowers.” ― Sarah Doudney
19. “Late February, and the air’s so balmy snowdrops and crocuses might be fooled into early blooming. Then, the inevitable blizzard will come, blighting our harbingers of spring, and the numbed yards will go back undercover. In Florida, it’s strawberry season shortcake, waffles, berries, and cream will be penciled on the coffeeshop menus.” ― Gail Mazur
20. “Probably more pests can be controlled in an armchair in front of a February fire with a garden notebook and a seed catalog that can ever be knocked out in hand-to-hand combat in the garden.” ― Neely Turner
Have you seen these epic Aquarius quotes for January and February babies?
February quotes about love and inspiration
21. “February days are a marketing gimmick; love happens every day.” ― Randeep Hooda
22. “In February there is everything to hope for and nothing to regret.” ― Patience Strong
23. “February the month of love?!! No wonder the shortest one in the calendar.” ― Dinesh Kumar Biran
24. “In the coldest February, as in every other month in every other year, the best thing to hold on to in this world is each other.” ― Linda Ellerbee
25. “Though, February is short, it is filled with lots of love and sweet surprises”. ― Charmaine J. Forde
26. “Without Valentine’s Day, February would be well, January.” ― Jim Gaffigan
27. “February, bending from Heaven. In azure mirth, it kissed the forehead of the Earth and smiled upon the silent sea, and bade the frozen streams be free, and waked to music all their fountains, and breathed upon the frozen mountains.” ― Percy Bysshe Shelley
28. “February is short and very sweet” ― Charmaine J Forde
29. “Colour purple. Dream burning, February’s sea.” ― Sadayo Takizawa
30. “We may owe our observance of Valentine’s Day to the Roman celebration of Lupercalia, a festival of eroticism that honored Juno Februata, the goddess of “feverish” (febris) love. Annually, on the ides of February, love notes or “billets” would be drawn to partner men and women for feasting and sexual game playing.” ― Saint Valentine’s Day
Don’t forget to also read these inspirational April quotes to keep you pushing forward with positivity.
Challenging February quotes
31. “Even though February was the shortest month of the year, sometimes it seemed like the longest.” ― J.D. Robb
32. “February makes a bridge and March breaks it.” ― Witts Recreations
33 “February is the uncertain month, neither black nor white but all shades between by turns. Nothing is sure.” ― Gladys Hasty Carrol
34. “February is merely as long as is needed to pass the time until March.” ― J.R. Stockton
35. “Why does February feel like one big Tuesday?” ― Todd Stocker
36. “No one’s ever achieved financial fitness with a January resolution that’s abandoned by February.” ― Suze Orman
37. “I used to try to decide which was the worst month of the year. In the winter I would choose February.” ― Katherine Paterson
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of winter quotes about the power of the cold.
38. “The word February is believed to have derived from the name ‘Februa’ taken from the Roman ‘Festival of Purification’. The root ‘februo’ meaning to ‘I purify by sacrifice’. As part of the seasonal calendar, February is the time of the ‘Ice Moon’ according to Pagan beliefs, and the period described as the ‘Moon of the Dark Red Calf’ by Black Elk. February has also been known as ‘Sprout-kale’ by the Anglo-Saxons in relation to the time the kale and cabbage were edible.” ― Mystical WWW
39. “The most serious charge which can be brought against New England is not Puritanism, but February… Spring is too far away to comfort even by anticipation, and winter long ago lost the charm of novelty. This is the very three a.m. of the calendar.” ― Joseph Wood Krutch
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of spring quotes, celebrating the new season.
40. “I had it figured out that the reason God made February short a few days was because he knew that by the time people came to the end of it they would die if they had to stand one more blasted day.” ― Katherine Paterson
February quotes about despair
41. “It must be terrible to bury someone you love in early May… Or in September or at Christmas. It must be terrible at Christmas. February is a suitable month for dying. Everything around is dead, the trees black and frozen so that the appearance of green shoots two months hence seems preposterous, the ground hard and cold, the snow dirty, the winter hateful, hanging on too long.” ― Anna Quindlen
42. “The day and time itself, late afternoon in early February, was there a moment of the year better suited for despair?” ― Alice McDermott
43. “February is a suitable month for dying. Everything around is dead, the trees black and frozen so that the appearance of green shoots two months hence seems preposterous, the ground hard and cold, the snow dirty, the winter hateful, hanging on too long.” ― Anna Quindlen
44. “When God was making the months I think February was a mistake, like a burp. There it was, small, dark, and prickly. It had absolutely no redeeming qualities.” ― Shannon Wiersbitzky
45. “Terrible, dreepy, dark February weather I remember, and the worst, most frightened days of my life.” ― Sebastian Barry
46. “Good morrow, Benedick. Why, what’s the matter? That you have such a February face so full of frost, of storm and cloudiness?” ― William Shakespeare
47. “In the gloomy month of February, the Deserts of Arabia are not more dreary and inhospitable than the streets of London at such a time.” ― Washington Irving
48. “While reflecting on past relationships and learning from them can be helpful, February isn’t the best time to try and gain insight.” ― Amy Morin
49. “February is for curmudgeons, whinge-bags, and misanthropes. You can’t begrudge us one month of the year or blame us for being even crabbier, it’s so short. There is nothing good about it, which is why it’s so great.” ― Lionel Shriver
50. “The great grey beast February had eaten Harvey Swick alive.” ― Clive Barker
Which of these February quotes is your favorite?
Do you have any fun plans for the month of February? Will you be a part of the Americans that spend billions of dollars on Valentine’s Day? People even buy their pets Valentine’s Day gifts! If you have any unique Valentine’s Day traditions feel free to share them in the comments below! Better yet, what is the strangest Valentine’s gift you have received?
My husband gets more excited for February since it is Superbowl time, but I would much rather watch Bill Murray relive the same day over and over! It seems like most of my shows seem to go on some crazy February break, making it the perfect month to catch up on some movie time.
Did you enjoy these February quotes? Which of the quotes resonated with you best? Let us know in the comment section below.