Explore the powerful and inspiring world of football quotes capturing the essence of the game and why we love it so much.
These are just a few of the reasons why people love the sport—playing and watching it—so much.
Is football and fútbol the same?
If you’re looking for American football quotes online, you may run into the issue of finding quotes that are about fútbol.
These are not one and the same.
Fútbol is actually what we know in America as soccer.
American football actually began as a combination of both rugby and soccer, eventually turning into the game we know and love today.
Princeton and Rutgers played the first college football game on November 6, 1869.
Why people love football and these famous football quotes
There are many reasons why people love football and football season.
Of course, players and coaches love their roles in playing the game, but then there are millions of people, like me, who enjoy watching the sport and rooting for our favorite teams.
As a native Michigander, I grew up watching the Detroit Lions lose repeatedly.
While that may seem like a bad memory, I connect it with smelling chili cooking on the stove and sitting with my dad while the game was on.
When I got married, I learned to enjoy the sport in a new way when I joined a fantasy football league with my husband.
People all over spend time researching NFL players, creating their own teams, and then competing with friends, family, and strangers throughout the football season to win their own championship.
Who is your favorite football player, and did one of their quotes make the list of inspirational football quotes?
However you enjoy football the most, if you’re a fan of the game, you’ll enjoy reading through the football quotes below.
The Best Football Quotes to Fuel Your Passion
Let these football quotes help you gain confidence, increase your mental toughness, and inspire you.
1. “It’s not the will to win that matters. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” — Paul “Bear” Bryant
2. “I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved.” — Urban Meyer
3. “Success isn’t owned, it’s leased. And rent is due every day.” — J.J. Watt
4. “Football doesn’t build character, it reveals character.” — Marv Levy
5. “No one ever drowned in sweat.” — Lou Holtz
6. “The man on top of the mountain didn’t fall there.” — Vince Lombardi
7. “You can learn a line from a win and a book from defeat.” — Paul Brown
8. “Winners never quit, and quitters never win.” — Vince Lombardi
9. “The most valuable player is the one who makes the most players valuable.” — Peyton Manning
10. “I have no magic formula. The only way I know to win is through hard work.” — Don Shula
Fantasy football quotes to make you laugh
If you can’t play or coach in real life, why not have a fantasy football team?
11. “Fantasy football is not only a good thing but a great thing.” — Jay Mohr
12. “Thank you… fantasy football draft, for letting me know that even in my fantasies, I am bad at sports.” — Jimmy Fallon
13. “My favorite water cooler topic is fantasy football. I sued to make fun of friends for doing it, and now I’m obsessed.” — John Krasinski
14. “God bless fantasy football. There are many things a man can do with his time… this is better than those things.” — Pete, The League
15. “I do get invitations all the time to play actual fantasy football, by the way, but I get the feeling that I’d like it too much.” — George R. R. Martin
16. “Wait a minute, is this my team? I’ve got four kickers and no quarterback. It looks worse than Aaron Hernandez’s alibi.” — Ruxin, The League
17. “Fantasy football is actually an amazing American pastime because it takes the ultimate team sport, NFL and football, and turns it into the quest for individual achievement.” — Jeff Schaffer
Winning Strategies: Football Quotes from Coaching Icons
18. “If winning isn’t everything, why do they keep score?” — Vince Lombardi
19. “If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven’t done anything today.” — Lou Holtz
20. “Football is an incredible game. Sometimes it’s so incredible it’s unbelievable.” — Tom Landry
21. “Football isn’t necessarily won by the best players. It’s won by the team with the best attitude.” — George Allen
22. “Each game is different. History means nothing in pro football.” — Bill Parcells
23. “Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.” — John Madden
24.“Success isn’t measured by money or power or social rank. Success is measured by your discipline and inner peace.” — Mike Ditka
25. “Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” — Lou Holtz
26. “At least 80 percent of the success of the football team is determined by the fight and spirit that they put into their play.” — George S. Halas
27. “Football is like life. It requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication, and respect for authority.” — Vince Lombardi
Champions Speak: Quotes from Football Icons
Here is some inspiration from some legendary coaches and exceptional players.
28. “Football is unconditional love.” — Tom Brady
29. “Set your goals high, and don’t stop till you get there.” — Bo Jackson
30. “I may win and I may lose, but I will never be defeated.” — Emmitt Smith
31. “There is no defense against a perfect pass. I can throw a perfect pass.” — Dan Marino
32. “When you’ve got something to prove, there’s nothing greater than a challenge.” — Terry Bradshaw
33. “Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football.” — John Heisman
34. “Every time I step on the field, I’m going to give my whole heart regardless of the score.” — Tim Tebow
35. “Football is football, and talent is talent. But the mindset of your team makes all the difference.” — Robert Griffin III
36. “Pressure is something you feel when you don’t know what the hell you’re doing.” — Peyton Manning
37. “Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.” — Bear Bryant
Off the Field Wisdom: Inspirational Football Quotes for Everyday Life
These wise words can apply to life on and off the field.
38. “Winners, I’m convinced, imagine their dreams first. They want it with all their heart and expect it to come true. There is, I believe, no other way to live.” — Joe Montana
39. “When you’ve got something to prove, there’s nothing greater than a challenge.” — Terry Bradshaw
40. “When you’ve got something to prove, there’s nothing greater than a challenge.” — Terry Bradshaw
41. “The principle is competing against yourself. It’s about self-improvement, about being better than you were the day before.” — Steve Young
42.“The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower
43. “Remind your critics when they say you don’t have the expertise or experience to do something that an amateur built the ark and the experts built the Titanic.” — Peyton Manning
A few more quotes about football or from the greats of the game
Dive into the fun and unexpected world of random football quotes, where the game’s charm and unpredictability shine through in every line.
44. “If you have two quarterbacks, you actually have none.” — John Madden
45. “There’s two times of year for me: football season and waiting for football season.” — Darius Rucker
46. “Football is a game of controlled anger. It is a game of retribution. It’s about will.” — Brian Dawkins
47. “If you see a defense team with dirt and mud on their backs, they’ve had a bad day.” — John Madden
48. “To me, it was never about what I accomplished on the football field; it was about the way I played the game.” — Jerry Rice
49. “College football, for me, was sacred. Right away, first time I watched it on TV, there was just something about the passion, the energy that was just different.” — Kirk Herbstreit
50. “When your team is winning, be ready to be tough because winning can make you soft. On the other hand, when your team is losing, stick by them. Keep believing.” — Bo Schembechler
For the love of football
Football players and coaches provide us with some of the most inspirational quotes and pieces of wisdom that can be applied to all areas of life.
Do you play football or just enjoy watching your favorite true professional excel?
What is your favorite part of game day?
Share these quotes with your football fan friends, and let us know your favorite football quote in the comments.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Here are the top books for athletes to help you amp up your game.
These books for men will help you discover who you want to be, what is holding you back, and how to create a path forward.
Discover why hard work beats talent and why it’s the sustaining factor that will push you to the top of the heap and keep you there!
Inspirational biographies, however, provide insight into the life struggles of the rich and successful.
Check out these related quote articles:
From locker room pep talks to post-match interviews, athletes and coaches have delivered timeless words of wisdom that resonate far beyond the field of play.
Discover this treasure trove of motivational quotes to ignite your inner fire and propel you toward greatness.
There’s only one way to get better in life; these training quotes will show you how.
This biographical sports movie is based on the true story of African-American coach Herman Boone, who integrated the T. C. Williams High School football team in Alexandria, Virginia, in 1971.