It goes without saying that breakups are never easy. When a relationship ends, we are often left feeling confused, heartbroken, and lost. But there are ways to mend a broken heart and inspiring words can help you to pick yourself up and find hope once more. If you need help learning to move on, these getting over someone quotes are exactly what you need.
Breakups are hard. As with any pain we endure, we are tested to see how resilient and strong we truly are. This is the beauty of the human condition.
We were built to survive! Bravery runs through our DNA, and love flows abundantly in our hearts. Love will find its way from your heart into the world again. When it does, all the sadness stemming from your breakup will have disappeared.
If you ever feel stuck and need some advice on how to overcome the ‘breakup blues,’ please refer to these getting over someone quotes and quotes about moving on for some inspiration.
Inspiring getting over someone quotes
1. “Letting go gives us freedom, and freedom is the only condition for happiness. If in our heart, we still cling to anything – anger, anxiety, or possessions – we cannot be free.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
2. “I will breathe. I will think of solutions. I will not let my worry control me. I will not let my stress level break me. I will simply breathe. And it will be okay. Because I don’t quit.” – Shayne McClendon
3. “Nothing ever goes away until it teaches us what we need to know.” – Pema Chodron
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Pema Chödrön quotes about finding peace in life.
4. “The pain is an opportunity to resurrect our true selves.” – Unknown
5. “Darlin’ you don’t need all that armor. Because what lives inside, they can’t break.” – Jm Storm
6. “If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” – Roald Dahl
7. “A person can break your heart and damage your pride. But never ever give them the power to break your spirit.” – Unknown
8. “Try not to resist the changes that come your way. Instead, let life live through you. And do not worry that your life is turning upside down. How do you know that the side you are used to is better than the one to come.” – Rumi
9. “It is time for me to let go of my old beliefs about how relationships are supposed to be.” – Louise Hay
10. “He’s going to be sorry he lost you, so stop worrying. Forget the past, forget the pain and remember what an incredible woman you are.” – Drake
11. “If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
12. “Sometimes when you are in a dark place, you think you’ve been buried; but actually you’ve been planted.” – Unknown
13. “Expectation is the root of all heartache.” – William Shakespeare
14. “If you love them, then love in the way that frees them. Build them up. Grow them and let them grow you. Love that is confining, restrictive, and full of laws is love born out of the desperation of loneliness.” – Jm Storm
15. “I know something better is on the road for me.” – Maya Angelou
Also read these quotes about divorce to help you move on.
Getting over someone quotes to empower you
16. “What a beautiful thing it is, to stand tall and say, I fell apart and I survived.” – Unknown
17. “You must make a decision that you are going to move on. It won’t happen automatically. You will have to rise up and say, ‘I don’t care how hard this is, I don’t care how disappointed I am, I’m not going to let this get the best of me. I’m moving on with my life.’” – Joel Osteen
18. “When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That’s the message he is sending.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
19. “Your value doesn’t decrease based on someone’s inability to see your worth.” – Unknown
20. “You were given this life because you were strong enough to live it.” – Unknown
21. “Healing comes in waves and maybe today the wave hits the rocks. And that’s OK, that’s OK darling. You are still healing. You are still healing.” – Ijeoma Umebinyuo
22. “Closure happens right after you accept that letting go and moving on is more important than projecting a fantasy of how the relationship could have been.” – Sylvester McNutt
23. “A strong woman loves, forgives, walks away, lets go, tries again, and perseveres…no matter what life throws at her.” – Unknown
24. “Anyone can say they care. But watch their actions, not their words.” – Buddha
25. “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” – Rumi
26. “Don’t like the chapter you are in? Write a new one. You are the author of your life.” – Unknown
27. “In three words I can sum of everything I’ve learned about life. It goes on.” – Robert Frost
28. “Everything heals. Your body heals. Your heart heals. The mind heals. Wounds heal. Your heart repairs itself. Your happiness is always going to come back.” – Unknown
29. “Sometimes things that hurt you most, teach you the greatest lesson in life.” – Buddha
30. “Your heart knows the way. Run in that direction.” – Rumi
Moving on and getting over someone quotes
31. “Learn to be happy alone, so you know how to be happy with someone else.” – Unknown
32. “If I want to be loved as I am, I have to be willing to love others as they are.” – Louise Hay
33. “Your mind is a powerful thing. When you fill it with positive thoughts, your life will start to change.” – Unknown
34. “We do not heal the past by dwelling there. We heal the past by living fully in the present.” – Marianne Williamson
35. “I never knew how strong I was until I had to forgive someone who wasn’t sorry and accept an apology I never received.” – Unknown
36. “We repeat what we don’t repair.” – Christine Langley-Obaugh
37. “The only people who deserve to be in your life are the ones who treat you with love, kindness, and respect.” – Unknown
38. “Give yourself the love you seek, and the universe will send people who match it.” – Abraham Hicks
39. “What comes easy, won’t last. And what lasts, won’t come easy.” – Yogi Bhajan
40. “It is worse to stay where one does not belong at all than to wander about lost for a while looking for the psychic and soulful kinship one requires.” – Clarissa Pinkola Estes
41. “Don’t wait for things in your life to change before you feel better. Feel better now and watch the things in your life change.” – Unknown
42. “I forgive everyone in my past for all perceived wrongs. I release them with love.” – Louise Hay
43. “Choose people who lift you up.” – Michelle Obama
44. “You are very powerful, provided you know how powerful you are.” – Yogi Bhajan
45. “Until we have seen someone’s darkness, we don’t really know who they are. Until we have forgiven someone’s darkness, we don’t really know what love is.” – Marianne Williamson
Other getting over someone quotes and sayings
46. “He loved me. He loved me, but he doesn’t love me anymore, and it’s not the end of the world.” – Jennifer Weiner
47. “Heartbroken? Channel your sorrow to become worthy of love. The world will be yours.” ― Tapan Ghosh
48. “To love and win is the best thing. To love and lose is the next best.” – William Makepeace Thackeray
49. “One of the best times for figuring out who you are and what you really want out of life? Right after a break-up.”― Mandy Hale
50. “I mean, if the relationship can’t survive the long term, why on earth would it be worth my time and energy for the short term?” – Nicholas Sparks
51. “Sadly enough, the most painful goodbyes are the ones that are left unsaid and never explained.”― Jonathan Harnisch
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of sad love quotes to help you deal with difficult emotions.
52. “Everyone’s allowed to be in love with the wrong person at some point. In fact, it’s a mistake not to be.” – Harriet Evans
53. “I think it’s important to realize that you can miss something, but not want it back.” – Paulo Coelho
54. “You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call ‘failure’ is not the falling down, but the staying down.” – Mary Pickford
55. “Some think that holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it’s letting go.” – Herman Hesse
Don’t forget to also read these new beginning quotes to help you start afresh.
Did these getting over someone quotes help provide some closure or healing for you?
Whether you have been trying to get over someone from a past relationship that ended three weeks ago or years ago, the key to moving on for good is taking your loss and turning it into a teaching lesson. With every hardship, comes the valuable lessons we can walk away with.
If that means you become more aware of what you want, more sure of your self-worth, or more in touch with who you are as a person, then it was all worth it. The experience is never wasted. In fact, it prepared you for the journey ahead.