If you’re suffering from a relationship gone bad, these heart break quotes will encourage you and comfort you as you heal.
No one likes to be let down in love, however, there are many different things that happen throughout our lifetime that cause us this pain.
It could be from a broken relationship, losing a loved one, or a dream that will never come to be.
Heartbreak hurts and it can make you feel like you’re stuck.
But you don’t have to be.
Knowing that everyone suffers from heartbreak from time to time can be a comforting thought so you know you’re not alone.
The following heartbreak quotes show what others have learned and how they have recovered.
And if you still need more help to move forward, we have a collection of broken heart quotes.
Be sure to read them as well.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
Heart break quotes to remind that sometimes a break up is the better thing for you
1. “Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.” – Mark Twain
You will also enjoy our article on getting over someone quotes.
2. “I took a chance, I took a shot. And you may think I’m bullet-proof, but I’m not. You took a swing, I took it hard. And down here from the ground I see you who are.” – Taylor Swift
3. “Sometimes it takes a heartbreak to shake us awake & help us see we are worth so much more than we’re settling for.” – Mandy Hale
4. “Relationships are like broken glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than hurt yourself trying to put the pieces back together.” – Alex Haditaghi
5. “It took me a long time and a lot of heartache to realize that just because you love someone doesn’t mean they deserve it.” – Steve Maraboli
6. “Don’t allow someone not worth it to have the power to occupy your thoughts. If they don’t find you worth the effort or the time, why should you waste yours?” – Donna Lynn Hope
7. “To be rejected by someone doesn’t mean you should also reject yourself or that you should think of yourself as a lesser person. It doesn’t mean that nobody will ever love you anymore. Remember that only ONE person has rejected you at the moment, and it only hurt so much because to you, that person’s opinion symbolized the opinion of the whole world, of God.”―Jocelyn Soriano
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of sad love quotes to help you deal with difficult emotions.
8. “Don’t you dare for one more second surround yourself with people who are not aware of the awesomeness that you are.” – Karen Salmansohn
9. “The emotion that can break your heart is sometimes the very one that heals it…” – Nicholas Sparks
10. “Listen to God with a broken heart. He is not only the doctor who mends it but also the father who wipes away the tears.” – Criss Jami
You will also enjoy our article on pain quotes.
Thought-provoking heart break quotes
11. “Your memory feels like home to me.” – Unknown
12. “So whenever my mind wanders, it always finds its way back to you.”― Ranata Suzuki
13. “I think heartbreak is something that you learn to live with as opposed to learn to forget.” – Kate Winslet
14. “Good friends are often our lifelines. Mine have seen me through heartbreak, through the deaths of loved ones…” – Luvvie Alayi
15. “Channel your heartbreak into work, then use that extra money to treat yourself to a new handbag.” – Pat McGrath
16. “Hanging on to resentment is letting someone you despise live rent-free in your head.” – Ann Landers
17. “Sometimes the only way the good Lord can get into some hearts is to break them.” – Fulton Sheen
18. “When you have heartbreak what’s important is that you don’t go halfway. Go all the way down. Don’t take pills that keep you in limbo. Cry out all the feelings. Then your own energy for life will put you up again. You become stronger.” – Marina Abramovic
19. “Forgiveness heals any brokenness in the heart.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
Also check out our list of thoughtful domestic violence quotes to help remind you of your strength.
20. “Once you embrace your value, talents and strengths, it neutralizes when others think less of you.” – Rob Liano
You will also enjoy our article on blue quotes.
Heart break quotes to enlighten you
21. “Stop being a prisoner of your past. Become the architect of your future.” – Robin Sharma
22. “Let go. Why do you cling to pain? There is nothing you can do about the wrongs of yesterday. It is yours to judge. Why hold on to the very thing which keeps you from hope and love?” – Leo Buscaglia
23. “If your heart is broken, make art with the pieces.” – Shane L. Koyczan
24. “We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.” – Kenji Miyazawa
25. “I know my heart will never be the same, but I’m telling myself I’ll be okay.” – Sara Evans
26. “I learned that, with grief, you have to take it one day at a time and learn how to find the happiness amid the heartbreak.” – Adrienne C. Moore
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of one day at a time quotes to live by.
27. “When you go through heartbreak you just do the things that get you by. Eventually, you realize it’s about making the most of life.” – Britney Spears
28. “Heartbreak is hard, but you find more and more things to be grateful for every day.” – Olivia Culpo
29. “The past can’t hurt you anymore, not unless you let it.” – Alan Moore
30. “You’ll get through this. And I know it’s impossible to believe right now, but it gets better. Trust me.” – Susane Colasanti
You will also enjoy our article on break-up quotes.
Insightful heart break quotes
31. “Blessed are those with cracks in their broken heart because that is how the light gets in.” – Shannon L. Alder
32. “Someday you’re gonna look back on this moment of your life as such a sweet time of grieving. You’ll see that you were in mourning and your heart was broken, but your life was changing…” – Elizabeth Gilbert
33. “It is strange how often a heart must be broken before the years can make it wise.” – Sara Teasdale
34. “Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow.” – L. Ron Hubbard
35. “I pray that former rejection and deep hurts will not color what I see and hear now.” – Sue Augustine
36. “Never let a bad person change your inner goodness.” – Karen Salmansohn
Don’t forget to also read these relatable cheating quotes that will help you heal.
37. “I write about heartbreak because I like writing about sad things, but I’m writing happy songs, too!” – Jackie Evancho
38. “Heartbreak is good fuel for country songs.” – Miranda Lambert
39. “I would say that my music is surreal, it’s inspired by dreams, and it’s inspired by heartbreak.” – Gus Dapperton
40. “My aim is for every song to have a purpose – for you to be able to say, ‘This song is about this.’ But love and heartbreak are some of the most abstract subjects.” – Jens Lekman
You will also enjoy our article on healing quotes.
Profound heart break quotes
41. “If I helped you through something or if I helped you find love or if I helped you find a way through heartbreak or whatever it is, then my job is done, and that’s what I want to leave behind in this world.” – Brett Eldredge
42. “Heartbreak has definitely been a big inspiration for me. You can write about a bad situation and just feel so much better afterward. For me, it’s very therapeutic. But love in general – even when it’s good – is always very inspiring.” – Jessica Lowndes
43. “We all have this misunderstanding about heartbreak, which is we think we should avoid it. But what I think is that heartache is a clue toward the work we’re supposed to be doing in the world. What breaks each person’s heart is different – be it racial injustice, war, or animals. And when you figure out what it is that breaks yours, go toward it.” – Glennon Doyle Melton
44. “Sometimes a little heartbreak is a lesson, and the best thing to do is just learn the lesson.” – Jon Voight
45. “When one door closes another opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.” – Alexander Graham Bell
46. “We have to do with the past only as we can make it useful to the present and the future.” – Frederick Douglass
47. “There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.” – Malcolm X
48. “I’ve been in this business for a long while, but it’s not like I’ve been waiting tables. Since I started writing, I’ve only worked on things that I love. I’ve had a lot of heartbreak, but you don’t become an artist and not expect that.” – Joss Whedon
49. “For the most part, that message hasn’t changed a lot over the years – love is still love, and heartbreak is still heartbreak. – Casey Kasem
50. “I’ve been through heartbreak and uncertainty and giddy crushes and everything. We all have.” – Anna Faris
More heart break quotes and sayings
51. “It makes my heart sick when I remember all the good words and the broken promises.” – Chief Joseph
52. “If you love deeply, you’re going to get hurt badly. But it’s still worth it.” – C. S. Lewis
53. “You can close your eyes to the things you don’t want to see, but you can’t close your heart to the things you don’t want to feel.” – Johnny Depp
54. “Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go.” – Hermann Hesse
55. “Love can be magic. But magic can sometimes… just be an illusion.” – Javan
56. “You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. The heart will break… but broken live on.” – Barbara De Angelis
57. “Don’t worry about losing. If it is right, it happens – The main thing is not to hurry. Nothing good gets away.” – John Steinbeck
58. “I’m sad and blue, about nobody but you. I told you that I loved you right from the start, you told me the same and now you try to break my little heart.” – Leon Redbone
59. “The human heart has hidden treasures, In secret kept, in silence sealed; The thoughts, the hopes, the dreams, the pleasures, Whose charms were broken if revealed.” – Charlotte Bronte
60. “Have you ever been hurt and the place tries to heal a bit, and you just pull the scar off of it over and over again.” – Rosa Parks
You might also like these helpful ex quotes for when you’re going through a break-up.
More heart break quotes that will help you heal
61. “Hearts are made to be broken.” ― Oscar Wilde
62. “Once you had put the pieces back together, even though you may look intact, you were never quite the same as you’d been before the fall.” ― Jodi Picoult
63. “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” ― Kahlil Gibran
64. “So it’s true, when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.” ― E.A. Bucchianeri
65. “Hearts are breakable,” Isabelle said. “And I think even when you heal, you’re never what you were before”.” ― Cassandra Clare
66. “Perhaps this is what the stories meant when they called somebody heartsick. Your heart and your stomach and your whole insides felt empty and hollow and aching.” ― Gabriel García Márquez
67. “Hearts can break. Yes, hearts can break. Sometimes I think it would be better if we died when they did, but we don’t.” ― Stephen King
68. “I know my heart will never be the same. But I’m telling myself I’ll be okay.” ― Sara Evans
69. “Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime.” ― Mineko Iwasaki
70. “The saddest thing about love, Joe, is that not only the love cannot last forever, but even the heartbreak is soon forgotten.” ― William Faulkner
Heart Break Quotes To Cheer Up Your Broken Heart
71. “Heartbreak is funny to everyone but the heartbroken.” ― Jeffrey Eugenides
72. “The best way to mend a broken heart is time and girlfriends.” ― Gwyneth Paltrow
73. “All love shifts and changes. I don’t know if you can be wholeheartedly in love all the time.” ― Julie Andrews
74. “There is nothing you can do about the past except keep it there.” ― Michael Connelly
75. “If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. And if they don’t, they never were.” ― Khalil Gibran
76. “How else but through a broken heart may Lord Christ enter in?” ― Oscar Wilde
77. “Broken relationships are a source of heavy heartbreak that seem to affect every family.” ― Jerry B. Jenkins
78. “Don’t feel sad over someone who gave up on you, feel sorry for them because they gave up on someone who would have never given up on them.” ― Frank Ocean
79. “Don’t cry when the sun is gone, because the tears won’t let you see the stars.” ― Violeta Parra
80. “Let no one who loves be unhappy, even love unreturned has its rainbow.” ― James M. Barrie
It will get better
Heartbreak isn’t fun and it is usually something that we wouldn’t wish on our worst enemy.
It can make you feel all alone and like you’re the only one that has ever felt that way.
But you aren’t alone and others have been where you are.
It also won’t last forever.
As time passes, your heart will begin to heal and many times, you will walk away better on the other side.
Choose a few of these sayings that really speak to you and write them somewhere that you will see them when you are struggling the most.
This can help you to take your focus off of your heart and to put it into something that inspires you to keep going.
Which of these quotes made you feel better?
Do you have any other inspirational heartbreak quotes to add?
Feel free to share with us in the comment section below.
September 26, 2022 5:00 AM EST