These I am who I am quotes will have you celebrating your unique essence in no time.
We have all heard it before, “I am what I am.”
Usually, it is a phrase said by someone who is owning up to something; or sometimes it is said when someone does something that others find disagreeable.
We find the phrase in song lyrics and see it used as a snappy comeback in our favorite shows.
College students often misquote the phrase, wondering which philosopher or scripture to attribute it to.
However, the concept of “I what I am” goes back a lot farther than you may realize, and many people do attribute it to a Hebrew phrase written in a Bible verse in the book of Exodus.
Today, many people use the phrase to signify their truth and acceptance of who they are.
What does the phrase mean to you?
Don’t forget to also check out these be yourself quotes to inspire your best life.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
Browse our entire collection of inspirational quotes for more motivating ideas and concepts.
I am who I am quotes that give life meaning.
1. “I am who I am today because of the choices I made yesterday.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
2. “My history defines who I am.” – Simone Elkeles
3. “Nobody can teach me who I am.” – Chinua Achebe
4. “I am one of the people who love the why of things.” – Catherine the Great
5. “I am what I am because of who we all are.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
6. “Who am I, for God’s sake, that I should be kind!” – Charles Dickens
7. “I am an educator who thinks globally.” – Paulo Freire
8. “My thoughts and actions made me who I am.” – Debasish Mridha
9. “I am someone who isn’t always perfect.” – Maisie Williams
10. I’m tired of defending my character. I am what I am. What you see is what you get.”- Dana Plato
I am who I am quotes from movies and actors.
11. “I am who I am today because of my mother.” – Kevin Hart
12. “I am who I am because of the people who influenced me growing up, and many of them were gay. No one has any right to tell anyone what makes a family.” – Drew Barrymore
13. “I am who I am. That’s why my friends and peers respect and appreciate me. I don’t change or cater my actions to fit my surroundings. I’m myself 24/7. People appreciate that.” – Kevin Hart
14. “I’m just going to live my life and be who I am.” – Halle Berry
15. “I’ve never been afraid to be who I really am on screen.” – Halle Berry
16. “I’m not a facelift person. I am what I am.” – Robert Redford
17. “I am what I am and I’m a horrible liar. I can’t do it. I’m just very candid.” – Pamela Anderson
18. “No, I am who I am. I’m not going to change for anybody.” ~ Calista Flockhart
19. “I am who I am because of the people who influenced me growing up, and many of them were gay. No one has any right to tell anyone what makes a family” ~ Drew Barrymore
I am who I am quotes from music and artists.
20. “Why should I care what other people think of me? I am who I am. And who I wanna be.” – Avril Lavigne
21. “I am who I am who I am who am I Requesting some enlightenment Could I have been anyone other than me?” – Dave Matthews
22. “I am who I am and I say what I think. I’m not putting a face on for the record.” – Eminem
23. “A lot of people, black, white, Mexican, young or old, fat or skinny have a problem being true to they self. They have a problem looking in the mirror and looking directly into their own souls. Only reason I am who I am today is because I can look directly into my face and find my soul.” – Tupac Shakur
24. “I am only a public entertainer who understands his time.” – Pablo Picasso
25. “I am one of those who are made for exceptions, not for laws.” – Oscar Wilde
26. “Your opinion doesn’t define who I am.” – Wiz Khalifa
27. “I don’t love who I am so I’m working on a fix.” – Kid Cudi
28. “I won’t apologize for who I am. “ – Selena Gomez
29. “I’m happy to be alive, I’m happy to be who I am.” – Michael Jackson
30. “I am who I am, you are who you are, and everything else is a perception based on acceptance, deception, smoke, mirrors, and so on.” – Jason Mraz
I am who I am quotes from philosophers and poets.
31. “When I discover who I am, I’ll be free.” – Ralph Ellison
32. “It’s amazing. I can do anything. And do it well. Any good thing, I can do it. That’s why I am who I am, yes, because God loves me and I’m amazed at it. I’m grateful for it.” – Maya Angelou
33. “Who I am really keeps surprising me.” – Nikki Giovanni
34. “You the one in all, say who I am. Say I am you.” – Rumi
35. “I cannot be a teacher without exposing who I am.” – Paulo Freire
36. “I am one who has been acquainted with the night.” – Robert Frost
37. “I am one of those people who quite enjoys responsibility.” – Stuart Pearce
38. “I am nobody! Who are you? Are you a nobody, too? – Emily Dickinson
39. “I don’t think of myself as pretty. I am what I am.” – Isabeli Fontana
40. “He saved me from being somebody else. I could have been prime minister, I could have been a prostitute on the streets, but I am what I am and Bob has a lot to do with that.” – Rita Marley
41. “I know that I am what I am. But I am not sure what I am.” – Mason Cooley
I am who I am quotes from athletes
42. “I’ve been more content with just who I am.” – Kevin Durant
43. “I like to be myself, and I don’t pretend. For instance, I don’t dress up for occasions; I am what I am.” – Virat Kohli
44. “I am who I am because of the people who I grew up with and where I’m from.” ~ Tim Duncan
45. “I’ve always been big. I’m never going to be an underwear model. But I am who I am, and that has its advantages and disadvantages.”- CC Sabathia
46. “I’m not interested in trying to work on people’s perceptions. I am who I am, and if you don’t take the time to learn about that, then your perception is going to be your problem.” – Jim Brown
47. “I’m not ashamed of who I am.” – Terry Bradshaw
48. “My family is everything. I am what I am thanks to my mother, my father, my brother, my sister… because they have given me everything. The education I have is thanks to them.” – Ronaldinho
49. “I am what I am. I don’t regret anything.”- Kamaru Usman
50. “Brother, if I’m going to be a heel, I’m going to turn who I am, what I am, and what I’m gonna do. I love it.”- Jimmy Snuka
I Am Who I Am To Feel Comfortable About Yourself
51. “I am who I am, and I think I have a good nature, by and large. But if someone takes advantage of that good nature, well then, you know, I’m not that nice a guy.” — Tom Hanks
52. “My sexuality is not a phase. I am who I am.” — Cara Delevingne
53. “I have this firm belief that I am who I am for a reason. If I change something, I’m cheating myself of whatever it is I’m supposed to learn from my body.” — Carrie Ann Inaba
54. “I have a quality where I sort of scare people. But I am who I am.” — Nicolas Ghesquiere
55. “I like what I like, I am who I am, I know what I want to do, you know what I’m saying?” — Kevin Durant
56. “I am who I am and I am what I am. And it’s beautiful. And it’s okay even if it doesn’t look like the sexiest Victoria Secret model. It also boils down to my interactions with people.” — Evangeline Lilly
57. I am who I am and I’ll be me with pride.” — Patrick Kelly
58. I made a lot of bad choices, but on the other hand, I am who I am, and I’m proud of my work, and I’m proud of my family, and those are also the product of choices, including financial choices, that I made.” — Neal Gabler
59. “I’m nobody’s deputy. I am who I am. I’m my own person.” — Mike Lee
60. “We all bullet point our triumphs, but I am who I am because of everything you don’t see on my CV. The stuff that doesn’t work out teaches you how to trust your instincts and adapt.” — Aimee Mullins
What did you learn from these I am who I am quotes?
In the book of Exodus, Moses has an encounter with a burning bush and asks “Who are you?”
The answer he received was “Ehyeh asher ehyeh “ which translated from Hebrew into American English, can mean “I am that I am” or “I am what I am.”
This idea of “I am who I am” applies to us today as well.
Each of us came to earth for our own unique experience.
We are who we are, and it does not serve our growth and development if we hide who we are or stray from being as much of ourselves as possible.
It is said that each of us together with all that is in creation makes up the universe.
Each of us was so important that creation made sure we happened.
We are all so needed that if we were to not exist, creation itself would not be complete.
Each of us completes creation.
We are who we are.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these I am who I am quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
September 24, 2022 7:00 AM EST