These library quotes are going to make you wish you were browsing the rows and rows of books at your local library.
Libraries are one of the greatest resources that the world has put at our fingertips. They are jam-packed with books, and now computers, that can teach you just about anything you want to know. And cities work hard to put libraries in as many areas as they can to make them easily accessible for everyone.
At your local library you can escape into a fantasy world through a book or dive deep into a research on something that you’re curious about. It’s all up to you.
Below you’ll find our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking library quotes and sayings, collected from various sources over the years.
Don’t forget to also check out these reading quotes that will expand your mind.
Library quotes on the importance of libraries
1. “If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
2. “Who doesn’t love a library? It is a place you can go in any town and discover the world.” – Pat MacEnulty
3. “Books constitute capital. A library book lasts as long as a house, for hundreds of years. It is not, then, an article of mere consumption but fairly of capital, and often in the case of professional men, setting out in life, it is their only capital.” – Thomas Jefferson
4. “The three most important documents a free society gives are a birth certificate, a passport and a library card.” – E.L. Doctorow
5. “The only thing you absolutely have to know is the location of the library.” – Albert Einstein
6. “To build up a library is to create a life.” – Carlos Maria Dominguez
7. “What is more important in a library than anything else – than everything else – is the fact that it exists.” – Archibald MacLeish
8. “Cutting libraries in a recession is like cutting hospitals in a plague.” – Eleanor Crumblehulme
9. “The public library system of the United States is worth preserving.” – Henry Rollins
10. “A library outranks any other one thing a community can do to benefit its people. It is a never failing spring in the desert.” – Andrew Carnegie
11. “Everything you need for a better future and success has already been written. And guess what? All you have to do is go to the library.” – Henri Frederic Amiel
Library quotes about the positive impact of a library
12. “I always knew from that moment, from the time I found myself at home in that little segregated library in the South, all the way up until I walked up the steps of the New York City library, I always felt, in any town, if I can get to a library, I’ll be OK. It really helped me as a child and that never left me.” – Maya Angelou
13. “A library is a place that is a repository of information and gives every citizen equal access to it. That includes health information. And mental health information. It’s a community space. It’s a place of safety, a haven from the world.” – Neil Gaiman
14. “I ransack public libraries and find them full of sunk treasure.” – Virginia Woolf
15. “A library, to modify the famous metaphor of Socrates, should be the delivery room for the birth of ideas – a place where history comes to life.” – Norman Cousins
16. “I discovered me in the library. I went to find me in the library.” – Ray Bradbury
17. “No place affords a more striking conviction of the vanity of human hopes than a public library.” – Samuel Johnson
18. “Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries.” – Anne Herbert
19. “Libraries are the one American institution you shouldn’t rip off.” – Barbara Kingsolver
20. “Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries.” – Robin Sharma
21. “To those with ears to hear, libraries are really very noisy places. On their shelves we hear the captured voices of the centuries-old conversations that makes up our civilization.” – Timothy Healy
22. “A library is not a luxury but one of the necessities of life.” – Henry Ward Beecher
You might also like these Mastery quotes by Robert Greene that inspire creativity towards success.
Library quotes about reading
23. “My alma mater was books, a good library… I could spend the rest of my life reading, just satisfying my curiosity.” – Malcolm X
24. “I spent three days a week for 10 years educating myself in the public library, and it’s better than college. People should educate themselves – you can get a complete education for no money. At the end of 10 years, I had read every book in the library and I’d written a thousand stories.” – Ray Bradbury
25. “The richest person in the world – in fact all the riches in the world – couldn’t provide you with anything like the endless, incredible loot available at your local library.” – Malcolm Forbes
26. “We may sit in our library and yet be in all quarters of the earth.” – John Lubbock
27. “The best of my education has come from the public library… my tuition fee is a bus fare and once in a while, five cents a day for an overdue book. You don’t need to know very much to start with, if you know the way to the public library.” – Lesley Conger
28. “The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading in order to write. A man will turn over half a library to make a book.” – Samuel Johnson
Love of the library quotes
29. “I couldn’t live a week without a private library – indeed, I’d part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I’d let go of the 1500 or so books I possess.” – H.P. Lovecraft
30. “I was the kind of kid whose parents would drop him off at the local town library on their way to work, and I’d go and work my way through the children’s area.” – Neil Gaiman
31. “Your library is your paradise.” – Desiderius Erasmus
32. “I love the Web, but the basis of my work is going through the physical books. When you go to the library, you see other books around on the shelves that you never knew existed. You can flip through a book and see the whole outlines of it.” – Camille Paglia
33. “Between the ages of fifteen and twenty-four, I must have read a whole library.” – Charles Bukowski
34. “I love the place; the magnificent books; I require books as I require air.” – Sholem Asch
35. “I always tell people that I became a writer not because I went to school but because my mother took me to the library. I wanted to become a writer so I could see my name in the card catalog.” – Sandra Cisneros
Also read these training quotes and sayings to inspire you towards personal development.
Library quotes to enlighten you
36. “As the biggest library if it is in disorder is not as useful as a small but well-arranged one, so you may accumulate a vast amount of knowledge but it will be of far less value than a much smaller amount if you have not thought it over for yourself.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
37. “I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book.” – Groucho Marx
38. “In my world there would be as many public libraries as there are Starbucks.” – Henry Rollins
39. “If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.” – Frank Zappa
40. “The library lets you borrow the beauty and keep the knowledge.” – Unknown
41. “Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library. The only entrance requirement is interest.” – Lady Bird Johnson
42. “Without libraries what have we? We have no past and no future.” – Ray Bradbury
43. “A good library will never be too neat, or too dusty, because somebody will always be in it, taking books off the shelves and staying up late reading them.” – Lemony Snicket
44. “Half of my library are old books because I like seeing how people thought about their world at their time. So that I don’t get bigheaded about something we just discovered and I can be humble about where we might go next. Because you can see who got stuff right and most of the people who got stuff wrong.” – Neil deGrasse Tyson
45. “I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library.” – Gorge Luis Borges
46. “A library implies an act of faith.” – Victor Hugo
47. “Libraries are not a destination. They are the transportation. The Grand Central Station of every great city and town.” – Unknown
48. “I don’t have to look far to find treasures. I discover them every time I visit a library.” – Michael Embry
49. “Why buy a book when you can join a library?” – Ricky Gervais
50. “Library fines are my favorite charitable donation.” – Terri Guillemets
More library quotes and sayings
51. “The library is the temple of learning, and learning has liberated more people than all the wars in history.” – Carl T. Rowan
52. “Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” – Charles William Eliot
53. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
54. “When you are growing up there are two institutional places that affect you most powerfully: the church, which belongs to God, and the public library, which belongs to you.” – Keith Richards
55. “When I was young, we couldn’t afford much. But, my library card was my key to the world.” – John Goodman
56. “Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.” – Harper Lee
57. “Libraries never let us forget who we are, for their worth stands by the knowledge they keep and save for us.” – Virginia Hamilton
58. “Here was one place where I could find out who I was and what I was going to become. And that was the public library.” – Jerzy Kosinski
59. “Libraries: Here is where people, one frequently finds, lower their voices, and raise their minds.” – Richard Armour
60. “The true university of these days is a collection of books.” – Thomas Carlyle
Which of these library quotes inspired you to put your library to work?
Some think that libraries are outdated places now that we live in a world full of technology, but that’s not true. Libraries are working hard to offer access to the latest technologies while also providing a place for the community to come together, meet and learn.
Many of the greatest minds in our history truly cherished their libraries. There is a wealth of knowledge in books just waiting for us to tap into them. The resources are there for everyone to use, now it’s up to you if you’re going to put it to work in your own life.
Which of these library quotes and sayings inspired you to put your library to work? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
May 26, 2020 7:16 AM EST