There is a difference between wants, needs, and choices.
Many times in life we get what we want, but not what we need.
Meaning that what we want, and what we actually need, may not be the same things.
These quotes about choices will help you learn the difference between the two.
We may be convinced that what we want is exactly what we need until we have it.
Then we realize that it was not truly what we needed at all.
If we were able to stop and think about whether things are wants or needs, and we’re really honest with ourselves about it, we would be in a much better place.
Improve your life by accepting that the things you do matter
If we would stop and do this, our choices would truly show who we are, and not simply what we want.
That would be a very different presentation and likely one that others and ourselves could have a great deal of respect for.
If we met two people, and one always made decisions based upon what they wanted, and the other made choices solely on their needs, I would tend to believe that the second person would be the one that we would have greater admiration for, and want to be around.
Here are some wise words from unusual sources that might make you think.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our entire collection of motivational quotes here.
Quotes about our choices
1. “Choose your love. Love your choice.” ― Thomas S. Monson
Everyday Application: When you make a choice based on your passion and purpose you will likely be much happier. Choosing things for reasons that do not align with what matters most to you will leave you feeling incomplete.
You will also enjoy our article on choice quotes.
2. “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” ― K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Everyday Application: We all have innate abilities. Then there are the abilities we hone and sharpen to be the best versions of ourselves. However, if we don’t choose to do that, then our abilities will remain stagnant. Also, choosing to be kind and just will help make your world a better place.
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about choices.
3. “In the end that was the choice you made, and it doesn’t matter how hard it was to make it. It matters that you did.” ― Cassandra Clare, City of Glass
Everyday Application: What we do matters more than what we say or think. The things we do impact our lives and our dreams. Take a look at what you did today. That is what matters to you.
You will also enjoy our article on making the right decision.
What will you do today
4. “Sometimes you have to choose between a bunch of wrong choices and no right ones. You just have to choose which wrong choices feels the least wrong.” ― Colleen Hoover, Hopeless
Everyday Application: Sometimes, we just don’t have an obvious choice to choose from. If you can’t come up with a choice that makes your soul sing, then choose the one that feels the best. You are still actively doing something and moving your life along.
You will also enjoy our article on Avatar quotes.
5. “As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all – the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.” ― K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
Everyday Application: Why do we do that? Most of the time it is because the ‘things that are the worst for us’ are deeply rooted in our comfort zone. We know the likely outcome, and it is something that we are familiar with.
You will also enjoy these Wes Moore quotes.
6. “But until a person can say deeply and honestly, “I am what I am today because of the choices I made yesterday,” that person cannot say, “I choose otherwise.” ― Stephen R. Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
Everyday Application: Whether you can admit it to yourself or not, you are the person today because of the choices you made yesterday. You are also the person you are today, because of the choices you made the day before that and the day before that. Are you choosing things that make you feel good about that statement?
Inspirational quotes about choices and life
7. “I fell in love with him. But I don’t just stay with him by default as if there’s no one else available to me. I stay with him because I choose to, every day that I wake up, every day that we fight or lie to each other or disappoint each other. I choose him over and over again, and he chooses me.” ― Veronica Roth, Allegiant
8. “How would your life be different if…You stopped allowing other people to dilute or poison your day with their words or opinions? Let today be the day…You stand strong in the truth of your beauty and journey through your day without attachment to the validation of others.” ― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
9. “Before you were born, your parents weren’t as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent’s generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.” ― Bill Gates
Great quotes about choices from unlikely places
10. “In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.” [The Information Technology Management Reform Act of 1995:Hearing before the Subcommittee on Oversight of Government Management and the District of Columbia of the Committee on Governmental Affairs (1996)] ― Theodore Roosevelt
11. “Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?’ ‘That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,’ said the Cat. ‘I don’t much care where –’ said Alice. ‘Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,’ said the Cat. ‘- so long as I get SOMEWHERE,’ Alice added as an explanation. ‘Oh, you’re sure to do that,’ said the Cat, ‘if you only walk long enough.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
12. “Before you can live a part of you has to die. You have to let go of what could have been, how you should have acted and what you wish you would have said differently. You have to accept that you can’t change the past experiences, opinions of others at that moment in time or outcomes from their choices or yours. When you finally recognize that truth then you will understand the true meaning of forgiveness of yourself and others. From this point you will finally be free.” ― Shannon L. Alder
Quotes about choices to determine your consequences
13. “Every choice you make has an end result.” — Zig Ziglar
14. “May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.” — Nelson Mandela
15. “You always have two choices: your commitment versus your fear.” — Sammy Davis Jr.
16. “Remember, there are no mistakes, only lessons. Love yourself, trust your choices, and everything is possible.” — Cherie-Carter Scotts
17. “Life is a matter of choices, and every choice you make makes you.” — John C. Maxwell
18. “I believe we are solely responsible for our choices, and we have to accept the consequences of every deed, word, and thought throughout our lifetime.” — Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
19. “Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.” — William Jennings Bryan
20. “When you have to make a choice and don’t make it, that in itself is a choice.” — William James
21. “It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.” — Tony Robbins
22. “There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” — Denis Waitley
Approach today with a new perspective
Hopefully, these quotes about the choices we make and the things we do inspire you to make good choices today!
Everyday is a new day.
Even if you didn’t make the best choices yesterday, you can do better today.
We are all just a few different choices away from a whole different reality!
Share some your favorite choice quotes with us in the comment section below.