Inspirational Choice Quotes about Life and Decisions
April 19, 2023 6:00 AM EST
These inspirational choice quotes will remind you of how important the choices we make in life are.
In the comments below, share which quote you thought was the most inspiring.
Many of us don’t understand the importance of the choices that we make, or the power that we have over them.
You may also enjoy our article on:
A study by Columbia University showed that on average, humans make around 35,000 decisions each day, which highlights how important decision-making is to our everyday lives.
With so many choices to make, it’s essential to be intentional about our decision-making process and to choose wisely because each choice has the potential to impact our lives in significant ways.
Too often, people attribute what is good to external causes, and what is bad to internal ones.
By this I mean, we feel like the good things happen to us, and the bad things are our fault.
What we need to realize is that each and every day, we make numerous choices that influence the outcome of all areas of our lives.
We can learn from our missteps, and we can build on our strengths.
To remind you on the importance of making decisions, here are some inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking choice quotes, choice sayings, and choice proverbs.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Read more related content on our inspirational quotes category page.
Choice Quotes About Life and Words of Wisdom
According to a report published on the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, good decision-making skills can lead to better job performance, higher income, and greater life satisfaction.
Reading and sharing choice quotes about life could improve our ability to make good decisions and increase our chances of success and happiness.
1. “Life presents many choices, the choices we make determine our future.” – Catherine Pulsifer
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about having fun.
2. “May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears.” – Nelson Mandela
You will also enjoy our article on life advice.
3. “I discovered I always have choices and sometimes it’s only a choice of attitude.” – Judith M. Knowlton
You will also enjoy our article on quotes by famous people.
4. “Life is a matter of choices, and every choice you make makes you.” – John C. Maxwell
You will also enjoy our article on quality quotes.
5. “Life is a choice – as is how you handle the pitfalls along its bumpy road.” – Julie Donner Andersen
You will also enjoy our article on words of wisdom.
6. “You always have two choices: your commitment versus your fear.” – Sammy Davis Jr.
You will also enjoy our article on proud of you quotes.
7. “Every choice you make has an end result.” – Zig Ziglar
You will also enjoy our article on second chances quotes.
8. “Any decision I make is the biggest decision of my life.” – Carmelo Anthony
You will also enjoy our article on future quotes.
9. “Did you know that to worry about a situation you are making a conscious choice to do so?” – Mike C. Adams
You will also enjoy our article on being single quotes.
10. “Every day brings new choices.” –Martha Beck
You will also enjoy our article on commitment quotes.
11. “We are the creative force of our life, and through our own decisions rather than our conditions, if we carefully learn to do certain things, we can accomplish those goals.” – Stephen Covey
You will also enjoy our article on determination quotes.
12. “This is as true in everyday life as it is in battle: we are given one life and the decision is ours whether to wait for circumstances to make up our mind, or whether to act, and in acting, to live.” – Omar Bradley
You will also enjoy our article on letting go quotes.
13. “We all need to decide whether to “play it safe” in life and worry about the downside, or instead take a chance, by being who we really are and living the life our heart desires. Which choice are you making?” – Charlie Badenhop
You will also enjoy our article on good man quotes.
14. “Your life changes the moment you make a new, congruent, and committed decision.” – Anthony Robbins
You will also enjoy our article on villain quotes.
15. “There are a lot of things going on with my life right now that don’t just have to do with career. So I have a hard time making decisions about work. That’s really a luxury problem.” – Philip Seymour Hoffman
You will also enjoy our article on waiting quotes.
16. “You came empty on earth, why overloaded now, were all your choices absolutely correct, it is never too late to reconsider them?” – William Ngwako Maphoto
You will also enjoy our article on priority quotes.
17. “You always do what you want to do. This is true with every act. You may say that you had to do something, or that you were forced to, but actually, whatever you do, you do by choice. Only you have the power to choose for yourself.” – W. Clement Stone
Also read these Dante’s Inferno quotes about consequences and justice.
Quotes About Choices and Consequences
According to a study by Havard Business Review, people who are more decisive tend to be more successful in their careers and personal lives.
By being confident in your decision-making abilities, you can improve your chances of success and achieve your goals.
18. “The choices that we make in our life, indeed determine the kind of results that we experience and the quality of the life that we live.” – Sumeet Jain
You will also enjoy our article on gentleman quotes.
19. “The choices we make every minute of every day can contribute to making someone’s life a little bit better or worse even without intending to.” – Chikamso Efobi
You will also enjoy our article on pain quotes.
20. “In every single thing you do, you are choosing a direction. Your life is a product of choices.” – Dr. Kathleen Hall
You will also enjoy our article on quotes on change growth.
21. “The hardest decisions in life are not between good and bad or right and wrong, but between two goods or two rights.” – Joe Andrew
You will also enjoy our article on words of wisdom.
22. “Big changes don’t have to be hard, but they do have to start with a choice. This is where real change begins; this is where you start taking control of your life and how you choose to live it; this is where it all starts.” – Nathalie Thompson
You will also enjoy our article on monday motivation quotes.
23. “In my experience working with a variety of people over several decades, far too many individuals choose to be anonymous members of the pack, therefore suffering from the inner remorse that makes them feel like failures, filled with conflict and resentment and wondering what the meaning of life is.”- Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
You will also enjoy our article on opportunity quotes.
24. “By knowing that you can fail and making the choice to take the risk you will be setting yourself up for success and not failure.” – Jennifer N. Smith
You will also enjoy our article on experience quotes.
25. “Addicts cannot change the abuse suffered in childhood. They cannot undo the choices they have made or the hurt they have caused. But they can change the future – through the power they have in the present moment.” – Ryan Holiday, Stephen Hanselman
You will also enjoy our article on two-word quotes.
26. “Most of the choices we make each day may feel like the products of well-considered decision making, but they’re not. They’re habits. And though each habit means relatively little on its own, over time, the meals we order, what we say to our kids each night, whether we save or spend, how often we exercise, and the way we organize our thoughts and work routines have enormous impacts on our health, productivity, financial security, and happiness.” – Charles Duhigg
You will also enjoy our article on making the right decision.
27. “Expanding our capacity to talk, particularly when we face critical choices, is a life-enhancing skill. I believe that there is no faster way for us to evolve than through the process of interacting with one another.” – Sarah Rozenthuler
You will also enjoy our article on you can do it quotes.
28. “In this new era, you have two choices: become a temp staffer (not a horrible choice) or become an artist-entrepreneur. Choose to commoditize your labor or choose yourself to be a creator, an innovator, an artist, an investor, a marketer, and an entrepreneur.” – James Altucher
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about possibility.
29. “How you react emotionally is a choice in any situation—and those cumulative choices can make or break your chances for well-being.” – Judith Orloff
30. “Choose your life’s mate carefully. From this one decision will come 90 percent of all your happiness or misery.” – H. Jackson Brown Jr.
You might also like these deep quotes will change how you see the world.
More choice quotes and sayings
A study conducted by the University of Pennsylvania found that people who make decisions based on their personal values and beliefs are happier and more satisfied with their lives compared to those who don’t.
This suggests that making choices that align with our core values can lead to a sense of fulfillment and contentment.
31. “If you don’t have the information you need to make wise choices, find someone who does.” – Lori Hil
32. “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward.” – Amelia Earhart
33. “And we have complete control over our own attitude. We are the ones we decide how we feel, how we look at things, how we react.” – Catherine Pulsifer
34. “There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” – Denis Waitley
You will also enjoy our article on quotes on addiction.
35. “And in life, it is all about choices we make. And how the direction of our lives comes down to the choices we choose.” – Catherine Pulsifer
36. “When we find inspiration, we need to take action for ourselves and for our communities. Even if it means making a hard choice, or cutting out something and leaving it in your past.” – Aron Ralston
37. “You always have two choices with your life and experience: you can either learn from it or you can place blame. The choice is always yours.” – Kevin Horsley
38. “We make our choices, then our choices make us.” – Anonymous
39. “I believe that we are solely responsible for our choices, and we have to accept the consequences of every deed, word, and thought throughout our lifetime.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
40. When bad things happen to you, focus on what you can learn from it. If you focus on the bad, you’re doomed to repeat it. – Mel Robbins
You will also enjoy our article on freedom of speech quotes.
Choice quotes from The Giver
A survey by the American Psychological Association (APA) revealed that 72% of adults in the US feel stressed about money, and financial concerns are one of the top sources of stress for Americans.
This underscores the importance of making wise financial decisions and choosing a career that aligns with one’s passion and goals.
41. “It’s the choosing that’s important, isn’t it?” — Lois Lowry, The Giver
42. “We really have to protect people from wrong choices.” — Lois Lowry, The Giver
43. “How could someone not fit in? The community was so meticulously ordered, the choices so carefully made.” — Lois Lowry, The Giver
44. “It’s the way they live. It’s the life that was created for them. It’s the same life that you would have if you had not been chosen as my successor.” — Lois Lowry, The Giver
45. “Even trained for years as they all had been in precision of language, what words could you use which would give another the experience of sunshine?” — Lois Lowry, The Giver
46. “They were satisfied with their lives which had none of the vibrance his own was taking on. And he was angry at himself, that he could not change that for them.” — Lois Lowry, The Giver
47. “Having you here with me over the past year has made me realize that things must change. For years I’ve felt that they should, but it seemed so hopeless. Now for the first time I think there might be a way.” — Lois Lowry, The Giver
48. “Sometimes I wish they’d ask for my wisdom more often-there are so many things I could tell them; things I wish they would change. But they don’t want change. Life here is so orderly, so predictable-so painless. It’s what they’ve chosen.” — Lois Lowry, The Giver
49. “If he had stayed in the community, he would not be. It was as simple as that. Once he had yearned for choice. Then, when he has had a choice, he had made the wrong one: the choice to leave. And now he was starving.” — Lois Lowry, The Giver
50. “Our people made that choice, the choice to go to Sameness. Before my time, before the previous time, back and back and back. We relinquished color when we relinquished sunshine and did away with difference. We gained control of many things. But we had to let go of others.” — Lois Lowry, The Giver
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about change.
Choice quotes to encourage good decisions
According to a study by Harvard University, the average person makes around 35,000 decisions each day. While many of these decisions are minor, they can still have an impact on our well-being and quality of life.
This highlights the importance of cultivating decision-making skills and learning to make choices that benefit our overall happiness and well-being.
51. “Each person has a choice; the choice to do as one may wish and as one wants remains with the individual. If a person sees no benefit to change, they will not change.” – Byron Pulsifer
52. “Today I choose life. Every morning when I wake up I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain… To feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices – today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity but embrace it.” –Kevyn Aucoin
53. “Life is about choices. Some we regret. Some we’re proud of.” –Graham Brown
54. “There’s no such thing as work-life balance. There are work-life choices, and you make them, and they have consequences.” –Jack Welch
55. “Making better choices takes work. There is a daily give and take, but it is worth the effort.” -Tom Rath
56. “I have made the choices that work best for me. I cannot please everyone everyone, and that’s fine.” –Marlee Matlin
57. “You write your life story by the choices you make. You never know if they have been a mistake. Those moments of decision are so difficult.” –Helen Mirren
58. “We must make the choices that enable us to fulfill the deepest capacities of our real selves.” –Thomas Merton
59. “Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices.” –Jean-Paul Sartre
60. “I’m open for possibilities. I’m open for choices. I always welcome new ideas. I’m always eager to learn. I’m never going to close my mind from learning.” –Cesar Milan
Choice quotes when you’re feeling indecisive
According to a survey by Pew Research Center, 61% of Americans feel overwhelmed by the amount of information they encounter in their daily lives.
This statistic highlights the growing importance of concise and impactful quotes, like choice quotes, which can help people make decisions without getting bogged down in excessive information.
61. “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” ― J.K. Rowling
62. “You cannot control the behavior of others, but you can always choose how you respond to it.” ― Roy T. Bennett
63. “But until a person can say deeply and honestly, “I am what I am today because of the choices I made yesterday,” that person cannot say, “I choose otherwise.” ― Stephen R. Covey
64. “In the end that was the choice you made, and it doesn’t matter how hard it was to make it. It matters that you did.” ― Cassandra Clare
65. “We are our choices.” ― Jean-Paul Sartre
66. “It is not for me to judge another man’s life. I must judge, I must choose, I must spurn, purely for myself. For myself, alone.” ― Herman Hesse
67. “There comes a time in your life when you have to choose to turn the page, write another book or simply close it.” ― Shannon L. Alder
68. “Sometimes you have to choose between a bunch of wrong choices and no right ones. You just have to choose which wrong choices feels the least wrong.” ― Colleen Hoover
69. “You are not the victim of the world, but rather the master of your own destiny. It is your choices and decisions that determine your destiny.” ― Roy T. Bennett
70. “In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
Thought-provoking choice quotes
According to a study by the National Institutes of Health, decision-making involves a complex interplay between various regions of the brain, including the prefrontal cortex, amygdala, and striatum.
Choice quotes can activate these regions of the brain and provide a mental boost that helps people make decisions with greater confidence and clarity.
71. “Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it’s always your choice.” – Wayne Dyer
72. “The decisions you make are a choice of values that reflect your life in every way.” – Alice Waters
73. “With awareness come responsibility and choice.” – Amanda Lindhout
74. “To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else.” – David A. Bednar
75 “Look for your choices, pick the best one, then go with it.” – Pat Riley
76 “Choice means saying no to one thing so you can say yes to another.” – Dan Millman
77. “Nobody ever did, or ever will, escape the consequences of his choices.” – Alfred A. Montapert
78. “It’s up to you today to start making healthy choices. Not choices that are just healthy for your body, but healthy for your mind.” – Steve Maraboli
79. “Choose well. Your choice is brief, and yet endless.” – Thomas Carlyle
80. “Men are free to decide their own moral choices, but they are also under the necessity to account to God for those choices.” – Aiden Wilson
Choice quotes for making big decisions
Research by social psychologist Barry Schwartz has shown that having too many options can actually make decision-making harder and lead to dissatisfaction with the choices we make.
By providing a limited set of options, choice quotes can help people narrow down their decision-making process and feel more satisfied with their choices.
81. “Using the power of decision gives you the capacity to get past any excuse to change any and every part of your life in an instant.”- Anthony Robbins
82. “Decision is a risk rooted in the courage of being free.” – Paul Tillich
83. “The hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which to burn.” – David Russell
84. “People will always have opinions about your decision because they’re not courageous enough to take action on their opinion.” ― Steve Maraboli
85. “If you chase two rabbits, both will escape.”- Unknown author
86. “When one can accept that all their circumstances and life events are a result of their decision making, that individual immediately gains back their power to create.” – Michael Austin Jacobs
87. “When you cannot make up your mind which of two evenly balanced courses of action you should take, choose the bolder.” – William Joseph Slim
88. “When you face a problem, solve it then and there if you have the facts necessary to make a decision. Don’t keep putting off decisions.” — Dale Carnegie
89. “Make decisions from the heart and use your head to make it work out.” – Sir Girad
90. If you don’t design your own life plan, chances are you fall into someone else’s plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.”- Jim Rohn
Choice Quotes To Express Your Experience Based On Past Choices
According to a survey by Pew Research Center, 77% of Americans believe they have control over their life choices, while only 22% believe that their choices are largely determined by forces outside of their control.
This statistic can help emphasize the importance of personal agency and responsibility in making choices.
91. “Some of the biggest acts of self-kindness are very difficult to do in the moment, but they’re the right long-term choice.” — Lara Heacock
92. “Almost everyone has held on to regrets because of poor choices made in the past. I know I have.” — Kim Masengale
93. “The choice we make will determine whether we reinforce a world where conflicts escalate out of control, or create a new world where conflicts are transformed into opportunity.” — Mark Gerzon
94. “You have the choice this very moment – the only moment you have for certain. I hope you aren’t so wrapped up in nonessential stuff that you forget to really enjoy yourself – because this moment is about to be over.” — Oprah Winfrey
95. “There is always plenty to be worried and sad about, but there is equally plenty to be happy and at peace with. The choice is yours.” — Steve Maraboli
96. “Any individual who wishes to attain sustainable and lasting bliss, must embrace one simple fact: happiness is a choice.” — Jo Roderick
97. “Patience gives us self-control, the capacity to stop and be in the present moment. From that place we can make wise choices.” — M. J. Ryan
98. “Life will always bring you pain; you have a choice about how much you suffer.” — Gretchen Kubacky
99. “The choice for silence or noise, for carefulness or carelessness, is ours in every moment.” — Maggie Ross
100. “We are partners by fate. We become friends by choice.” — Jacquie McTaggart
Inspiring Choice Quotes You Can Learn From
A study by Cornell University found that people who made decisions based on their own values and preferences reported higher levels of life satisfaction and happiness.
This finding can support the idea that making choices based on personal values and goals can lead to a more fulfilling life.
101. “I don’t regret any of the decisions I’ve made in my life because with every choice I make, I learn something new.” — Siva Kaneswaren
102. “The hardest choices in life aren’t between what’s right and what’s wrong but between what’s right and what’s best.” — Jamie Ford
103. “You have no choices about how you lose, but you do have a choice about how you come back and prepare to win again.” — Pat Riley
104. “If you’re just safe about the choices you make, you don’t grow.” — Heath Ledger
105. “Opposition provides choices, and choices bring consequences, good or bad.” — Ezra Taft Benson
106. “You can’t make positive choices for the rest of your life without an environment that makes those choices easy, natural, and enjoyable.” — Deepak Chopra
107. “Life is a matter of really tough choices.” — Joe Biden
108. “Your joy comes from how you think, the choices that we make in life.” — Joyce Meyer
109. “Behaviors are a choice. Feelings are sometimes out of our control. Behavior has to do with choices.” — Randall Terry
110. “Eighty percent of all choices are based on fear. Most people don’t choose what they want; they choose what they think is safe.” — Phil McGraw
Choice Quotes That Inspire You To Take Time And Make Right Choices
A study by Columbia University found that people who were more confident in their ability to make decisions reported higher levels of well-being and lower levels of anxiety and depression.
This can support the idea that building self-confidence in decision-making can lead to better mental health.
111. “Intentional living is the art of making our own choices before others’ choices make us.” ― Richie Norton
112. “People always say in the end you only regret the choices you didn’t make but I really think you also regret the choices you were foolish enough to make.” ― Melizena
113. “Life is a web of intersections and choices. Your 1st choice is to recognize an intersection. Your 2nd choice is to be grateful for it.” ― Ryan Lilly
114. “The Compound Effect is the principle of reaping huge rewards from a series of small, smart choices” ― Darren Hardy
115. “You are creating through your choices, even now. Choose wisely.” ― Bryant McGill
116. “The choice to make good choices is the best choice you can choose. Fail to make that choice and on most choices you will lose.” ― Ryan Lilly
117. “There are always consequences to wrong choices.” ― Jim George
118. “Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.” ― Roy Bennett
119. “The way you live your day is a sentence in the story of your life. Each day you make the choice whether the sentence ends with a period, question mark, or exclamation point.” ― Steve Maraboli
120. “What we do,our choices, that’s what defines us.” ― Carrie Jones
Choice Quotes To Shape Your Destiny
121. “Nothing happens until you decide.” — Oprah Winfrey
122. “The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another.” — William James
123. “The choices we make determine our destiny.” — Brandon October
124. “Healthy choices thread through every aspect of life.” — Mary Anne Radmacher
125. “I choose to make the rest of my life the best of my life.” — Louise Hay
126. “Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times.” — Aeschylus
127. “Life is the sum of your choices.” — Albert Camus
128. “Know the best and highest choices for health and more often choose those things.” — Mary Anne Radmacher
129. “All is context. Choose yours carefully, where you have a choice.” — Mike Young
130. “I truly don’t have any formula for the choices I make.” — Javier Bardem
Choice Quotes To Determine Our Destiny
131. “Our lives are fashioned by our choices. First we make our choices. Then our choices make us.” ― Anne Frank
132. “Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.” ― William Jennings Bryan
133. “I am who I am today because of the choices I made yesterday.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt
134. “Understand that the right to choose your own path is a sacred privilege. Use it. Dwell in possibility.” ― Oprah Winfrey
135. “Everything that is happening at this moment is a result of the choices you’ve made in the past.” ― Deepak Chopra
136. “The strongest principle of growth lies in the human choice.” ― George Eliot
137. “We choose what attitudes we have right now. And it’s a continuing choice.” ― John C. Maxwell
138. “I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions.” ― Stephen Covey
139. “Life is a series of choices that are made in the present moment.” ― Darren Main
140. “The choices we make are ultimately our responsibility.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt
Choice Quotes To Help You Make The Right Decision
141. “We don’t get to chose what is true. We only get to choose what we do about it.” ― Kami Garcia
142.“It always comes down to just two choices. Get busy living, or get busy dying.”
― Stephen King
143. “The choices you make now, the people you surround yourself with, they all have the potential to affect your life, even who you are, forever.” ― Sarah Dessen
144.“Identity was partly heritage, partly upbringing, but mostly the choices you make in life. ~ Bran”― Patricia Briggs
145. “It’s not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.” ― Roy Disney
146. “But the past cannot be changed, and we carry our choices with us, forward, into the unknown. We can only move on.”― Libba Bray
147. “Every choice comes with a consequence. Once you make a choice, you must accept responsibility. You cannot escape the consequences of your choices, whether you like them or not.” ― Roy T. Bennett
148. “Desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions.” ― Dallin H. Oaks
149. “Why did I come here? I thought. Why is it always only a matter of choosing between something bad and something worse?”― Charles Bukowski
150. “Everyone has choices to make; no one has the right to take those choices away from us. Not even out of love..” ― Cassandra Clare
The paradox of choice | Barry Schwartz
Were you able to relate with any of these choice quotes?
Realizing and acknowledging the choices that we make is empowering, whether the outcome is good or bad.
It is also important, as it helps us evaluate what we do and do not have control over.
This is an important distinction to make, as we can let go of what we will never have a choice – or control over – and focus our time and energy on what we do.
I hope these choice quotes helped you realize the power you possess regarding life’s decisions.
Did you enjoy these choice quotes?
Which of the quotes resonated with you best?
Let us know in the comment section below.
William P Miller
June 13, 2021 at 7:09 PM
The processes that exist across the Time continuum which humankind perceives as “Life are extremely complex, but the catalyst that drives it is easily understood by the innocence of a child.