Tim Ferriss’s bohemian lifestyle, incredible ideas, and great success has inspired millions of people around the world.
He is most known for being the author of multiple best-selling books including The Four Hour Workweek.
Tim Ferriss was always a hard worker.
During his time at Princeton University, which he graduated from with a degree in East Asian Studies, he was known for working with professors for hours in order to perfect his essays.
After college he began building his first business.
The business was called BrainQuicken and was sold for a large sum of money.
After selling his business, he was on a pilot on The History Channel.
The show didn’t take off, so Ferriss started his own publishing company called Tim Ferriss Publishing.
He later published his book, The Four Hour Workweek.
The book covered many things including mindset, hiring an online secretary to manage your life, and using the power of the Internet to make money from anywhere in the world.
The book was revolutionary and remained on the New York Times bestsellers list for seven consecutive years, a nearly unparalleled feat.
He also started a widely popular blog as a companion to his book.
The book and blog has been cited as inspiration by many famous people including Paulo Coelho, the author of The Alchemist.
Tim went on to publish two other best-selling books.
His 2nd book was a revolutionary approach to building an incredible body.
In The Four Hour Body Ferris shows that it is possible to build an exceptional body in a short amount of time.
He did tons of experiments on his body in order to determine what helps the body grow most efficiently.
After the success of The Four Hour Body, Ferriss published another book called The Four Hour Chef.
It focused on living a great lifestyle and provided many quick delicious recipes.
As with all his other books, it debuted at number one on the New York Times bestsellers list.
He is also an angel investor in a number of huge companies including Uber.
He is famous around the world and has a considerable influence.
He continues to blog and hosts a popular podcast.
There are many great Tim Ferriss quotes.
His range of work spans from building a muscular body, to cooking a great meal, to lifestyle design.
He has lived an inspirational life and continues to push the boundaries.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Check out more inspirational quotes on our motivational quotes category page.
Tim Ferriss Quotes from Tools of Titans
1. “The fishing is best where the fewest go, and the collective insecurity of the world makes it easy for people to hit home runs while everyone else is aiming for base hits. There is just less competition for bigger goals.” – Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: Many of us have big dreams and goals, but we aren’t serious about them. Those people that do the work, make the sacrifices, and put themselves out there are more likely to succeed simply because the number of people who actually make their dreams a priority is much smaller. If you want something bad enough, you are going to have to do whatever it takes to get there.
2. “If you are insecure, guess what? The rest of the world is, too. Do not overestimate the competition and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think.”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: Every single one of us has something we are insecure about. However, don’t let your insecurity hold you back. Insecurity is just another word for fear. Ask yourself what you are afraid of, and what you could gain if you moved past it. You are truly better than you think you are.
3. “Tomorrow becomes never. No matter how small the task, take the first step now!”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: How many times have we put something off until tomorrow, only for weeks, months, or even years to go by without getting it done? Eventually, tomorrow will turn into never. We put off things for a variety of reasons, but if it matters to you then take a step today. Even a small baby step is better than no step at all.
4. “There is no sure path to success, but the surest path to failure is trying to please everyone.”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: No one’s success story looks exactly the same. Heck, even individual definitions of success vary! However, they almost always involve beating to the beat of your own drum, and living life on your terms. Whose opinion really matters? Do you want to live your life, or the life someone else thinks you should be living? Make yourself happy because that is all you can control.
5. “It isn’t enough to think outside the box. Thinking is passive. Get used to acting outside the box.”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: It might start with a thought or a great idea, but if there is no action, then that is all it will ever be. Don’t be afraid to take some kind of action to see your dreams come to fruition. It may be small actions at first, and sometimes, those actions may not have the results you desired. However, you are one step closer than someone who takes no action at all.
6. “One can steal ideas, but no one can steal execution or passion.”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: An idea is a powerful thing. However, without execution or passion (also known as hard work and sacrifice) they just become whims of fancy. Your idea could be the most life changing thing, but if you don’t make it happen nothing changes!
7. “What we fear doing most is usually what we most need to do.”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: We fear doing things for a couple of reasons. One of those reasons is because the stakes are so high on both spectrums. Success at this one scary thing could reshape your entire life. Failure, could further complicate your world, and your reaction will determine your future. These kind of stakes make it hard to do anything! But that is exactly why you should do it! Nothing changes, if nothing changes!
8. “A person’s success in life can usually be measured by the number of uncomfortable conversations he or she is willing to have.”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: Uncomfortable conversations and activities cause us to grow. They push us outside our comfort zone, encourage us to take risks, and help us learn. Each of these things increases our chances of success! So, go ahead and put yourself out there!
9. “Becoming a member of the new rich is not just about working smarter. It’s about building a system to replace yourself.”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: According to the Associated Press, “The new rich have a household income of $250,000 or more.” Building a system to replace yourself means that you free up time to enjoy that extra money. You likely sacrificed plenty of time and put in many hours to reach this level, now it is time to focus on putting things in place so you can enjoy it!
Tim Ferriss Quotes about productivity
10. “Most things make no difference. Being busy is a form of mental laziness.”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: What exactly are you busy doing all day? Is it something that is going to move the needle toward your goals? Is it important for your family? No? Then is there a legitimate reason to be doing it? Or are you doing all these things to avoid really putting the work into your goals?
11. “By working only when you are most effective, life is both more productive and more enjoyable. It’s the perfect example of having your cake and eating it, too.”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: It seems like a simple concept. Work during the times when you are naturally inclined to be most effective. While Tim has recently rethought his 4-Hour Work Week philosophy, this advice can still be helpful. Learn what time of the day you are less distracted and more inclined to focus. Schedule the bulk of your work during those times.
12. “What we fear doing most is usually what we most need to do.”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: Most of the time we fear doing things because of the outcome matters to us greatly. When something is important enough for you to fear, you must do it! Even if you fail initially, you will learn something that will help you succeed the next time. Don’t be afraid to take risks for the things that are important to you.
13. “People will choose unhappiness over uncertainty.”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: Happiness is a choice. Many times people do choose to continue along a path that makes them unhappy simply because they are familiar with it. That familiarity feels safer than the the unknown.
14. “A person’s success in life can usually be measured by the number of uncomfortable conversations he or she is willing to have.”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: What makes a conversation uncomfortable? Sometimes a conversation is uncomfortable because there are negative emotions like anger, fear, or worry attached to the topic of conversation. Other times, the conversation topic is something that pushes you past your comfort zone, like asking for a raise. The more times you are able to recognize and manage your emotions, or push yourself past what is comfortable, the more skills you will learn. More opportunities will open themselves up to you as well.
15. “The question you should be asking isn’t, “What do I want?” or “What are my goals?” but “What would excite me?”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: We do not ask ourselves “What would excite me?” often enough. Sadly, many people might not even know the answer to this question. It is important to know who you are and what makes you feel alive. Seek out these opportunities more. Build a life that fuels your passion and purpose.
16. “If you are insecure, guess what? The rest of the world is, too. Do not overestimate the competition and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think.”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: We all have doubts and fears. How often do we just assume the competition will have a better story, physical abilities, or more talent than we do. At the time time, we underestimate our own improvements, talents, and work. Just take the risk! Enter that writing contest, singing competition, or art show. Whatever, it is, do it! You might not win, but you will get some value out of the feedback for next time, at the very least. Or you might just surprise yourself and reel in a win!
17. “The opposite of love is indifference, and the opposite of happiness is boredom.”– Tim Ferriss
18. “To enjoy life, you don’t need fancy nonsense, but you do need to control your time and realize that most things just aren’t as serious as you make them out to be.”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: You are in control of how you spend your time and energy. Sometimes, things are going to go wrong. However, that doesn’t mean every problem is life or death, or even serious. Sometimes, a problem can be a blessing in disguise! Try not to give more energy to something than it actually requires.
19. “Most people are fast to stop you before you get started but hesitate to get in the way if you’re moving.”– Tim Ferriss
20. “At least three time per day at scheduled times, he had to ask himself the following question: Am I being productive or just active? Charney captured the essence of this with less-abstract wording: Am I inventing things to do to avoid the important? He eliminated all of the activities he used as crutches and began to focus on demonstrating results instead of showing dedication. Dedication is often just meaningless work in disguise. Be ruthless and cut the fat.”– Tim Ferriss
21. “Being able to quit things that don’t work is integral to being a winner”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: Sometimes, you will find yourself going down a path that just doesn’t align with your mission and goals. It is ok to quit if you can recognize that. If you find yourself on a path that is aligned with what you want to do, and it just isn’t working, then take a break and reassess your strategy. You might need to learn a lesson from your current attempts and readjust. Maybe, you just need a break! It is ok to quit a certain path, just don’t give up on your goals that matter.
22. “The fishing is best where the fewest go and the collective insecurity of the world makes it easy for people to hit home runs while everyone is aiming for base hits.”– Tim Ferriss
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of fishing quotes that will make you want to head out on the water.
23. “Learn to be difficult when it counts. In school as in life, having a reputation for being assertive will help you receive preferential treatment without having to beg or fight for it every time.”– Tim Ferriss
24. “Life is too short to be small.”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: We are not all on this planet for the same length of time. There is no guarantee how short or long your life will be, so make the most out of every day! You can spend everyday being small and trying to fit into the boxes you have constructed for your life. Or, you can give yourself permission to live for your dreams and your authentic self. Don’t make yourself small so someone else feels better. Shine, and shine as bright as you are!
25. “Many a false step was made by standing still.”– Tim Ferriss
26. “I’ll repeat something you might consider tattooing on your forehead: What we fear doing most is usually what we most need to do.”– Tim Ferriss
Tim Ferriss Quotes about happiness
27. “Excitement is the more practical synonym for happiness, and it is precisely what you should strive to chase. It is the cure-all.”– Tim Ferriss
28. “Remember—boredom is the enemy, not some abstract “failure.”– Tim Ferriss
29. “Information is useless if it is not applied to something important or if you will forget it before you have a chance to apply it.”– Tim Ferriss
30. “The goal is not to simply eliminate the bad, which does nothing more than leave you with a vacuum, but to pursue and experience the best in the world.”– Tim Ferriss
31. “The bottom line is that you only have the rights you fight for.”– Tim Ferriss
32. “Focus on being productive instead of busy.”– Tim Ferriss
Everyday Application: Staying busy is different from being productive. When we are busy it is usually because we are striving for perfection or trying to fill the white space to avoid dealing with other things. However, when we are productive we are usually focusing on things that stem from our sense of purpose. We are not trying to do as many things as we can, but rather we are trying to do the things that matter.
33. “Alternating periods of activity and rest is necessary to survive, let alone thrive. Capacity, interest, and mental endurance all wax and wane. Plan accordingly.”– Tim Ferriss
34. “By working only when you are most effective, life is both more productive and more enjoyable. It’s the perfect example of having your cake and eating it, too.”– Tim Ferriss
35. “For all their bitching about what’s holding them back, most people have a lot of trouble coming up with the defined dreams they’re being held from.”– Tim Ferriss
36. “The golden years become lower-middle-class life revisited. That’s a bittersweet ending.”– Tim Ferriss
37. “It is predicated on the assumption that you dislike what you are doing during the most physically capable years of your life. This is a nonstarter—nothing can justify that sacrifice.”– Tim Ferriss
38. “If you spend your time, worth $20-25 per hour, doing something that someone else will do for $10 per hour, it’s simply a poor use of resources.”– Tim Ferriss
39. “Learn to be difficult when it counts”– Tim Ferriss
40. “SLOW DANCE Have you ever watched kids On a merry-go-round? Or listened to the rain Slapping on the ground? Ever followed a butterfly’s erratic flight? Or gazed at the sun into the fading night? You better slow down. Don’t dance so fast. Time is short. The music won’t last. Do you run through each day On the fly? When you ask: How are you? Do you hear the reply? When the day is done, do you lie in your bed With the next hundred chores Running through your head? You’d better slow down. Don’t dance so fast. Time is short. The music won’t last. Ever told your child, We’ll do it tomorrow? And in your haste, Not see his sorrow? Ever lost touch, Let a good friendship die Cause you never had time To call and say, “Hi”? You’d better slow down. Don’t dance so fast. Time is short. The music won’t last. When you run so fast to get somewhere You miss half the fun of getting there. When you worry and hurry through your day, It is like an unopened gift thrown away. Life is not a race. Do take it slower. Hear the music Before the song is over.”– Tim Ferriss
More Tim Ferriss Quotes
41. “But you are the average of the five people you associate with most, so do not underestimate the effects of your pessimistic, unambitious, or disorganized friends. If someone isn’t making you stronger, they’re making you weaker.” – Timothy Ferriss
42. “The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” – Timothy Ferriss
43. “Poisonous people do not deserve your time. To think otherwise is masochistic.” – Timothy Ferriss
44. “$1,000,000 in the bank isn’t the fantasy. The fantasy is the lifestyle of complete freedom it supposedly allows.” – Timothy Ferriss
45. “Doing less is not being lazy. Don’t give in to a culture that values personal sacrifice over personal productivity.” – Tim Ferriss
46. “Someday is a disease that will take your dreams to the grave with you.” – Timothy Ferriss
47. “Productivity is for robots. What humans are going to be really good at is asking questions, being creative, and experiences.” – Timothy Ferriss
48. “Losers have goals. Winners have systems.” – Timothy Ferriss
49. “Different is better when it is more effective or more fun.” – Timothy Ferriss
50. “If you ran into an asshole in the morning you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you’re the asshole.” – Timothy Ferriss
Which Tim Ferriss quotes are your favorite?
Tell us in the comment section below!