You will enjoy these toasting quotes discussing the things we celebrate in life.
Toasting someone or an event is also called a “Toast.”
It is traditionally a ritual where you take a drink in honor or goodwill of something or someone.
While the toasting ritual is rooted in Western culture, the origination of the ritual is debated.
One of the favorite stories about the origin is that toasts started from a concern of poisoning, so when people clicked their glasses together, the liquid would spill into others’ glasses.
Therefore you would not poison anyone for fear that the poison would also end up in your glass.
While toasting is rooted in Western culture, many other cultures have traditions of taking a drink while celebrating someone or something.
Traditionally, to announce the desire to make a speech for the toast, you will knock on the side of a wine glass, most often with silverware, to draw everyone’s attention.
Take a look at these toasting quotes to see how other people celebrate!
You will also enjoy our article on party quotes.
Best Toasting Quotes
Here are some of the best quotes to use during a toast.
1. “May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.” — Nelson Mandela
2. “May the force be with you.” — Star Wars
3. “May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.” — Irish Blessing
4. “Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall.” — Irish Proverb
5. “Here’s to the ones who dream, foolish as they may seem.” — La La Land
6. “Happily ever after is not a fairy tale. It’s a choice. “— Fawn Weaver
7. “May their joys be as deep as the ocean, And their misfortunes as light as the foam.” — Armenian
8. “May the roof above you never fall in and those gathered beneath it never fall out.” — Irish Proverb
9. “Here’s health to your enemies’ enemies.” — Irish Saying
10. “May your troubles be less and your blessings be more, and nothing but happiness come through your door.” — Irish Blessing
Toasting Quotes for New Year’s Eve
Here are some powerful quotes you can use as you toast to a new year.
11. “Each age has deemed the new-born year the fittest time for festal cheer.” — Sir Walter Scott
12. “Here’s to the year past and friends who have left us. Here’s to the present and the friends who are here.” — Emily Post
13. “Stir the eggnog, lift the toddy, Happy New Year, everybody.” — Phyllis McGinley
14. “No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.” — Buddha
15. “Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.” — Benjamin Franklin
16. “Ring out the old, ring in the new, Ring, happy bells, across the snow: The year is going, let him go; Ring out the false, ring in the true.” — Alfred Lord Tennyson
17. “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.” — Abraham Lincoln
18. “Life can only be understood backward; but it must be lived forwards.” — Søren
19. “Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
20. “May your heart be light and happy, may your smile be big and wide, and may your pockets always have a coin or two inside!” — Irish Proverb
Toasting Quotes to Celebrate Love
These quotes are for you if you’re toasting to your loved one or the relationship of another.
21. “May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, and may the sun shine warm upon your face.” — Irish Blessing
22. “Grow old with me. The best is yet to be, the last of life for which the first was made.” — Robert Browning
23. “My heart is ever at your service.” — William Shakespeare
24. “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
25. “Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” — Emily Bronte
26. “Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.” — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
27. “In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine.” — Maya Angelou
28. “May your life be like a wildflower, growing freely in the beauty and joy of each day.” — Native American Proverb
29. “By all means, marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll be happy. If you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.” — Socrates
30. “There’s nothing more admirable than two people who see eye to eye keeping house as man and wife, confounding their enemies and delighting their friends.” — Homer
Toasting Quotes to Use at Weddings and Happy Occasions
Celebrate with the happy person or couple with these quotes.
31. “May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow, and may trouble avoid you wherever you go.” — Irish Blessing
32. “Where there is love, there is life.” — Mahatma Gandhi
33. “Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away.” — Song of Solomon 8:7
34. “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” — Audrey Hepburn
35. “To find someone who will love you for no reason, and to shower that person with reasons, that is the ultimate happiness.” — Robert Brault
36. “The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return.” — Moulin Rouge
37. “May this marriage be full of laughter, our every day in paradise.” — Rumi
38. “Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get—only with what you are expecting to give—which is everything.” — Katharine Hepburn
39. “Love one another and you will be happy; it is as simple and as difficult as that.” — Michael Leunig
40. “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” — Mignon McLaughlin
More Toasting Quotes
Here are some more quotes you can add to your toast or find inspiration from.
41. “May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light, may good luck pursue you each morning and night.” — Irish Blessing
42. “With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.” — William Shakespeare
43. “In victory, you deserve Champagne, in defeat, you need it.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
44. “Let’s drink to love, which is nothing—unless it’s divided by two.” — Irish blessing
45. “Here’s to alcohol: the cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.” — Homer Simpson
47. “May the most you wish be the least you get.” — Irish Saying
48. “May you be at the gates of heaven an hour before the devil knows you’re dead.” — Irish Saying
49. “May misfortune follow you the rest of your life and never catch up.” — Irish Proverb
50. “I used to know a clever toast, but pshaw! I cannot think of it—so fill your glass to anything and, bless your souls, I’ll drink to it!” — Wallace Irwin
On What Occasions Is a Toast Usually Performed?
Toasts can be performed for any celebration but are most often performed to celebrate the New Year, weddings, anniversaries, and historical events.
Traditionally, the event host will perform the first and sometimes only toast.
However, for wedding celebrations, there are usually multiple toasts.
Please share these toasting quotes with your friends and family and post any comments about the practice in the comment section below.