Protect yourself from the elements with our umbrella quotes.
Find out the answer to that question and more with our umbrella quotes.
What is an Umbrella?
Umbrellas keep people dry and help them avoid unnecessary exposure to the elements.
Umbrellas come in many types; some include:
- Golf umbrellas
- Classic umbrellas
- Solid stick umbrellas
When were umbrellas first used?
Humans have always pursued comfort.
Being hot and sweaty or wet and cold are not preferred states for people.
Umbrellas allow us to protect ourselves from hot sunrays and cold raindrops.
People have been using umbrellas for thousands of years.
Some of the earliest uses of umbrellas came from Egypt, China, Greece, and Assyria.
The word umbrellas comes from the Latin word umbra, which means shadow.
The first waterproof umbrellas were made in China.
They were initially made to provide shade, but the addition of the waxed lacquer allowed them to repel water.
What were originally umbrellas made of?
Early civilizations made umbrellas out of all sorts of materials.
Simple palm lead umbrellas were made to protect people from the sun’s heat.
Later on, animal skin and other more meticulously woven umbrellas were made.
Umbrellas and the sexes
We all benefit from the use of umbrellas.
However, when umbrella technology finally reached Europe, it became fashionable for women.
Umbrellas became the standard in fashion for women by the 16th century in places like England and France.
Over time, umbrellas became synonymous with wealth and status.
Should I have an umbrella?
Umbrellas are used in every climate and condition.
They protect us from immediate exposure to the elements.
Umbrellas can keep us dry, warm, or cool, depending on how we use them.
The umbrella is an essential household item that everyone would benefit from owning.
Short umbrella quotes for protecting yourself
We begin with these short and sweet umbrella quotes.
1. “Umbrellas are love letters to the rain.” — Lesley Blanch
2. “Umbrellas are like sunshine in the rain.” — Cinderella Man
3. “An umbrella is a canvas for imagination.” — Jamie Wyeth
4. “An umbrella is a sign of man’s sovereignty.” — Charles Lamb
5. “An umbrella is a shield from the sky’s tears.” — Matshona Dhliwayo
6. “I am like an umbrella. I’m either open, or I’m closed.” — Sherri Shepherd
7. “I always carry an umbrella. I believe in preparedness.” — Audrey Hepburn
8. “An umbrella is a weapon of defense and attack against the rain.” — Mehmet Murat ildan
9. “Umbrellas, like faces, acquire their character from the way they are used.” — Wallace Stevens
10. “A strong person is like a well-built umbrella, able to withstand the strongest winds.” — Matshona Dhliwayo
The top umbrella quotes for staying dry
Umbrellas are essential if we wish to keep dry in the rain.
11. “The umbrella may change, but the rain will always remain the same.” — Anthony T. Hincks
12. “Umbrellas are not just for the rain; they are also a fashion statement.” — Ariana Grande
13. “When we gave our hearts to Christ, He acts like an umbrella to shelter us.” — Christina Corbitt
14. “Life is all about learning to dance in the rain while holding onto your umbrella.” — Vivian Greene
15. “An umbrella can be the difference between being caught in the rain and staying dry.” — Taylor Swift
16. “Life is like an umbrella. You need to carry it with you if you want to be prepared for the rain.” — Dolly Parton
17. “An umbrella is a great equalizer. It makes you equally wet no matter how much money you have.” — Jimmy Kimmel
18. “The best kind of friend is the one who is always there, rain or shine, with an umbrella or a shoulder to lean on.” — Nicole Richie
19. “The person who walks alone with their umbrella is likely to find themselves in places no one has ever been before.” — Albert Einstein
20. “The roof of your positive life is like an umbrella protecting you from the rain but not obscuring where you are going.” — Maureen Hagan, Goodlife Fitness
The best umbrella quotes about protection
Umbrellas have become synonymous with protection from the elements and many other things.
21. “An umbrella is a gentle protector against nature’s tears.” — John Geddes
22. “Umbrellas are like friends; they are there for you when it rains.” — Emily Kimelman
23. “An umbrella is a temporary shelter from life’s stormy moments.” — A. J. Darkholme
24. “An umbrella is a portable roof, protecting us from the sky’s tears.” — Matshona Dhliwayo
25. “In some countries, the umbrella is the symbol of dignity and power.” — Charles Heber Clark, Out of the Hurly-Burly
26. “You were my umbrella in the rain, you were my medicine for the pain.” — Sandra L. Thibault, Getting Through
27. “I love my umbrella Like no other. It was a Christmas present from my Mother.” — Darren Carter, Doorway to Wonder
28. “I always carry an umbrella and a notebook in case inspiration strikes in the rain.” — Susan Wiggs
29. “An umbrella is a friend when you need shade, a protector when you need shelter.” — Christina Dodd
30. “I love my umbrella, and I rise, and lay it on the table before me, and I think of the hours we two have passed together.” — Y. S, Sketches and Scraps
Famous umbrella quotes about practicality and fashion
Umbrellas do it all; they protect us from the elements and make our outfits look cute.
31. “Let me be your umbrella in times of rain.” — Andy Collins Muravha, Above the Deep
32. “The human mind is like an umbrella; it functions best when open.” — Walter Gropius
32. “Umbrellas are like dreams; they keep you dry and remind you to reach for the sky.” — Alice Caldwell Rice
33. “Umbrellas are like dreams; they protect us and guide us through life’s rainstorms.” — Cathleen Schine
34. “If the umbrella is the symbol of London, then that of Liverpool is the wheelbarrow.” — Tristan Jones, Ice!
35. “Umbrellas are like little portals of comfort, providing a cozy space amidst the chaos of the rain.” — Lorenzo Pitts
36. “With an umbrella in hand, I am the master of my own destiny, creating my own shelter from life’s storms.” — Bowen Majors
37. “I am a little bit of a Victorian. I believe in wearing a hat, and I believe in walking with a cane or carrying an umbrella.” — Dick Van Dyke
38. “If you’re feeling a little bit low, If you’re feeling under the weather, If your skies are full of rain clouds, Let me be your umbrella.” — Rock Rampant, Rouge Blush
39. “I have found that when you are deeply troubled, there are things you get from the silent devoted companionship of a dog, an umbrella, or a cat that you can get from no other source.” — Doris Day
40. “So the reason for putting up an umbrella in the rain is not the bare fact of the rain falling but, say, that it is good to be comfortable and healthy and getting cold and wet is uncomfortable and risks illness.” — Oxford Studies in Private Law Theory
Umbrella quotes and sayings about life
We end our umbrella quotes with these fabulous umbrella quotes to live by.
41. “You’ll be safe under my umbrella.” — Rihanna
42. “I know that if it was raining really hard, you would share your umbrella with me.” — Willow Sol
43. “Umbrella is comfort, rain is life! You must often leave comfort to touch the life!”
— Mehmet Murat Ildan
44. “Innocence is like an umbrella: when once we’ve lost it, we must never hope to see it back again.” — Elyse Sommer, Similes Dictionary
45. “Well, my umbrella is my trunk, my waterproof, my change of linen-my all, my everything!” — Ernest d’Hervilly, Too Windy for an Umbrella
46. “God is like an umbrella of illusion and belief. On rainy days, we use him, but on sunny days, we forget him.” — C.S.Natarajan, National Words
47. “All is in flux, lifeways are in transition, or, as the Indians say, the world has been turned inside out like an umbrella in the wind.” — Northeast Indian Quarterly
48. “This one thing I know Jesus is mine: a doctor in sickness, a hospital in affliction; a rainbow in the clouds, An umbrella in the rain.” — Charles Jenkins, Keeping Sane in a Crazy World
49. “Take lunch to someone who is confined; help an elderly person across a busy street; share your umbrella with someone on a rainy day” — Osiefield Anderson, Nuggets of Inspiration
50. “And then I will see something, someone’s smile, a couple holding hands, a man walking alone with an umbrella in the rain, and it all comes back again.” — Alan Gaynor, Language Bound
Don’t forget your umbrella!
Where do you keep your umbrella?
Some people leave it near their door or under the seat of their car.
Let us know where you keep your umbrella in the comments below.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
When life gets tough, just turn to these words of encouragement and you’ll feel better in no time.
There are many ways to nourish your soul; from breathing, spending time with nature, to volunteering, here are 10 ways to start today.
Rather than doing nothing and getting sucked into a terrible rabbit hole, let’s explore ten ways to reinvent yourself so you—and your life—can become unstuck.
Do you think that life imitates art, or is art imitating life? Before you answer that, read this article to understand what the phrase means.
Check out these related quote articles:
We all experience storms in our lives. Here’s a collection of rainy day quotes to help you find joy even in tough times.
A clear symbol of hope, let these beautiful rainbow quotes brighten your darkest days.
These weather quotes will help you understand the phenomenon that is weather. We have some for when life is sunny or when you face rainy days.
These thunder quotes will educate you on what thunder is and share different beliefs people have held about it throughout history.