Foster care is a difficult and emotional labor of love, as evidenced by these foster care quotes. There are many things that make foster care heartbreaking, the first of which is that it is even necessary.
Social workers have ‘cases,’ but each case is really the story of an individual human child that has been wronged in some unimaginable way by the people who should have loved them the most. Everyone involved in the case becomes someone who can make a difference in the child’s future.
One of the most profound ways that people can make a difference is by fostering these children within their families. It is not an effortless task, and the people who open up their hearts and homes are genuine heroes.
Sadly, not all foster homes are loving and warm, and some people foster for all the wrong reasons. This only adds more trauma to the children and also makes the lives of good foster parents even more difficult.
These foster care quotes about love and adoption will have you in tears.
Don’t forget to also check out these adoption quotes celebrating the decision and process.
Short foster care quotes
1. “Parenthood requires love, not DNA.” — Unknown
2. “You may be in our home for a season but you’ll be in our hearts forever.” — Unknown
3. “Families don’t have to match. You don’t have to look like someone else to love them.” — Leigh Anne Tuohy
4. “Little souls find their way to you, whether they’re from your womb or someone else’s.” — Sheryl Crow
5. “Fostering takes time, but love arrives instantly.” — Unknown
6. “Family is not defined by our genes; it is built and maintained through love.” — Unknown
7. “Every kid is one caring adult away from being a success story.” — Josh Shipp
8. “Anyone who does anything to help a child in his life is a hero.” — Fred Rogers
9. “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” — Mark Twain
Foster care quotes about love
10. “You might be temporary in their lives, they might be temporary in yours. But there is nothing temporary about the love or the lesson.” — Tonia Christle
11. “We have the opportunity to pour into them what they were created to be; and pullout the treasure that they cannot yet see.” ― Momma Moon
12. “Everyone longs to be loved. And the greatest thing we can do is to let people know that they are loved and capable of loving.” — Fred Rogers
13. “Unconditional love is not based on the performance of the receiver, but on the character of the giver.” — Jack Frost
14. “An aware parent loves all children he or she interacts with—for you are a caretaker for those moments in time.” — Doc Childre
15. “I am not afraid to grieve. I am afraid of what will happen to these children if no one took the risk to love them.” — Unknown
16. “We need to share responsibility. It’s easy to say ‘It’s not my child, not my community, not my problem.’ Then there are those who see the need and respond. I consider those people my heroes.” — Fred Rogers
Foster care quotes about adoption
17. “I have four children. Two are adopted. I forget which two.” — Bob Constantine.
18. “Children born to another woman call me ‘mom’. The magnitude of that tragedy and the depth of that privilege are not lost on me.” — Jody Landers
19. “I always questioned whether I was ready to adopt. Then I realized, no child was ready to be an orphan.” — Unknown
20. “Everyone needs a house to live in, but a supportive family is what builds a home.” — Anthony Liccione
21. “Despite the best of efforts, many foster children are neither reunited with their families nor adopted.” — Charles Bass
22. “As an adoptive parent myself of foster children, I have seen firsthand the glaring problems of the system currently facing this Nation.” — Dennis Cardoza
23. “What makes a family is neither the absence of tragedy nor the ability to hide from misfortune, but the courage to overcome it and, from that broken past, write a new beginning.”― Steve Pemberton
24. “Being adopted felt like reading a book that had the first chapter ripped out. You might be enjoying the plot and the characters, but you’d probably also like to read that first line, too.” ― Jodi Picoult, Handle with Care
25. “When we began this journey, I was quite eager to adopt and “complete” our family. However, nothing is ever certain, or done in a timely manner in foster care. Find joy in the moments you have together. Enjoy the journey. We may never “complete” our family, but we will have helped some sweet souls along the way.” — Crystal Garman
26. “In the midst of your weakness and the wake of your struggle, ‘success’ as a foster or adoptive parent isn’t measured by your capacity to keep everything in order but by your ability to trust that even in the chaos Jesus is beautiful—and that even in the mess, so is what you’re doing for these kids.” — Jason Johnson
Foster quotes about being a foster parent or foster child
27. “Fostering or adopting a child is a long and painful process… but so is childbirth.” — Unknown
28. “As foster parents, we are asked to not only care for the basic needs of a child but also sit alongside them as they digest the hurt and damage they have undeservingly experienced.” — Carrie Dahlin
29. “Many foster children have had difficulty making the transition to independent living. Several are homeless, become single parents, commit crimes, or live in poverty. They are also frequent targets of crime.” — Charles Bass
30. “Fostering is not about us. It never was and never will be. Foster care is about serving, loving on others, and being the one constant in a child’s life when they are going through a really hard time.” — Jeremy Garman
31. “Every child deserves a champion — an adult who will never give up on them, who understands the power of connection and insists that they become the best they can possibly be.” — Rita F. Pierson
Foster Care Quotes to Encourage Parents and Caregivers
32. “A child born to another woman calls me mom. The depth of the tragedy and the magnitude of the privilege is not lost on me.” — Jody Landers
33. “Live so that when your children think of fairness, caring and integrity, they think of you.” — H. Jackson Brown Jr
34. “Sometimes our work as caregivers is not for the faint of heart. But, you will never know what you are made of until you step into the fire. Step bravely!” — Deborah A. Beasley
35. “If you can help a child, you don’t have to spend years repairing an adult.” — Joyce Meyer
36. “Life is beautiful. It’s about giving. It’s about family.” — Walt Disney
37. “Family is a life jacket in the stormy sea of life.” — J.K. Rowling
38. “To us, family means putting your arms around each other and being there.” — Barbara Bush
39. “With every word we utter, with every action we take, we know our kids are watching us. We as parents are their most important role models.” — Michelle Obama
40. “Encourage and support your kids because children are apt to live up to what you believe of them.” — Lady Bird Johnson
41. “Kindness can transform someone’s dark moment with a blaze of light. You’ll never know how much your caring matters.” — Amy Leigh Mercree
Foster Care Quotes To Encourage Care Giving
42. “I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” – Mother Teresa
43. “Family is the most important thing in the world.” – Princess Diana
44. “Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.” – George Bernard Shaw
45. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.” — Dr. Seuss
46. “There can be no keener revelation of a society’s soul than the way in which it treats its children.” — Nelson Mandela
47. “Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them.” — Lady Bird Johnson
48. “Children need models rather than critics.” — Joseph Joubert
49. “Every child you encounter is a divine appointment.” — Wess Stafford
50. “Children are like wet cement whatever falls on them makes an impression.” — Haim Ginott,
51. “Children are the hands by which we take hold of heaven.” — Henry Ward Beecher
What it takes to be involved in foster care
My sister is a foster mom, and I am constantly in awe of her every day. I do not know how she finds the strength to bear some of the trauma these kids have seen.
Parenting is challenging, but parenting those children who aren’t yours and have seen some of the worst this world can offer is especially hard for everyone.
Then there is the trauma that foster parents go through themselves, like saying goodbye to children they have had for years when they are reunited with their parents or other family members. Even when it is truly in the child’s best interest, it is human nature to mourn the child that has become part of your family.
Yet, people like my sister put aside their heartbreak and the flaws of a broken system. They give a little piece of themselves to every child that enters and leaves their home. Sometimes, like with the three nephews I have, they get to stay and are adopted.
That is not an uncomplicated journey, either.
Do you have any other foster care quotes and sayings you would like to share? Use the comment section below to let us know.
May 6, 2022 7:00 PM EST