50 Climbing Quotes to Help You Reach the Top
September 16, 2022 8:00 AM EST
When life throws a mountain in your path, these climbing quotes will help you muster up the motivation to reach higher and keep putting one foot in front of the other.
Sometimes there are obstacles in our path and the only way to overcome them is to start climbing.
Of course, people climb literal mountains as well. These climbing quotes have got you covered whether you are conquering literal or metaphorical mountains.
Some of the climbing quotes will help you perfectly caption your Instagram posts—whether you are highlighting a beautiful mountain post or photos from your hike.
They can also help you caption posts about your mood, motivation, and life in general.
In fact, many of these climbing quotes, even though they are from actual climbers, can be used to help you get through your toughest challenges.
Just how can climbing quotes and lessons learned from literal climbing help you succeed in life?
Sure, most of us can easily see the parallels between climbing and life.
It is an easy metaphor to grasp. Yet, the actual act of climbing and the skills required are also transferable to living life.
What climbing skills and lessons can you apply to your life?
Keep reading through these climbing quotes to find out!
Let these wise words give you the inspiration needed to tackle whatever mountain is in front of you today!
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Explore our complete collection of motivational quotes here.
Short climbing quotes that are perfect for Instagram
These quotes would go great with a photo to create the perfect Instagram post! Which one of these quotes would you use?
1. “The mountains are calling and I must go.” — John Muir
You will also enjoy our article on Klaus Mikaelson quotes.
2. “It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.” — Edmund Hillary
3. “The higher the mountain, the deeper the valley.” — Alsacian Proverb
4. “If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads.” — Anatole France
5. “Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.” — Barry Finlay
6. “Learn to climb trees before climbing mountains.” ― Kadhirmathiyan Velumani
7. “If you need a bit of perspective, climb a tree.” ― A. A. Milne, Winnie The Pooh
8. “I may climb perhaps to no great heights, but I will climb alone.” — Cyrano de Bergerac
9. “The higher you climb on the mountain, the harder the wind blows.” — Sam Cummings
10. “Man can climb to the highest summits, but he cannot dwell there long.” — George Bernard Shaw
Climbing quotes about success and achieving goals
We all know we start at the bottom when chasing goals or success and we have to make our way upward. Take a look at the quotes below!
11. “Better we raise our skill than lower the climb.” — Royal Robbins
12. “Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. “ — Will Rose
13. “It’s like climbing a staircase. I’m on the top of the staircase, I look behind me, and I see the steps. That’s where I was.” — Jeanne Moreau
14. “Don’t show your inferiority by climbing a stunted tree, show your superiority by climbing the longest and crooked one.” — Michael Bassey Johnson
15. “Management is efficiency in climbing the ladder of success; leadership determines whether the ladder is leaning against the right wall.” — Stephen Covey
16. “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” — Michael Jordan
17. “Static people don’t fall! You fell because you were either climbing or running. This is a sign that you are on track.” — Israelmore Ayivor
18. “You wanna know what scares people? Success. When you don’t make moves and when you don’t climb up the ladder, everybody loves you because you’re not competition.” — Nicki Minaj
19. “There’s no secret on how to attain greater height, just keep climbing the ladder, don’t look at the dreadful distance, lock up that negative thought today, and fulfill your dreams.” — Michael Bassey
20. “If you’re climbing the ladder of life, you go rung by rung, one step at a time. Don’t look too far up, set your goals high but take one step at a time.” — Donny Osmond
Climbing quotes about mountains
A mountain can be an obstacle or a goal, but either way you need to climb it! Check out these quotes from some climbers.
21. “The summit is just a halfway point.” — Ed Viesturs
22. “When preparing to climb a mountain—pack a light heart.” — Dan May
23. “Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.” ― Ed Viesturs
24. “Climb mountains, not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” — David McCullough Jr.
25. “On life and peaks it is the same. Wash your spirit clean… Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.” — John Muir
26. “Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge, enjoy the air and behold the view.” ― David McCullough Jr.
27. “There are two kinds of climbers, those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” — Alex Lowe
28. “A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him and leaving something of himself upon it.” — Sir Martin Conway
29. “Keep close to Nature’s heart… and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.” — John Muir
30. “There’s no glory in climbing a mountain if all you want to do is to get to the top. It’s experiencing the climb itself – in all its moments of revelation, heartbreak, and fatigue – that has to be the goal.” — Karyn Kusama
Inspirational climbing quotes to lift you up
We all need inspiration to climb the “mountains” in our lives. For some inspiration check out the quotes below.
31. “Fain would I climb, yet fear I to fall.” — Walter Raleigh
32. “To climb a tree is for a child to discover a new world.” ― Froebel
33. “To see what others can not… You must climb the mountain” ― Ron Akers
34. “Anytime you finish a climb, there’s always the next thing you can try.” — Alex Honnold
35. “You won’t fall if you don’t climb, but there’s no joy in living your whole life on the ground.” — Unknown
36. “Just because you came to the end of your rope, doesn’t mean that you were climbing down.” — Anthony T. Hincks
37. “In some ways, climbing in the clouds is comforting. You can no longer see how high off the ground you are.” — Tommy Caldwell
38. “Consider what you want to do in relation to what you are capable of doing. Climbing is, above all, a matter of integrity.” — Gaston Rebuffat
39. “Always continue the climb. It is possible for you to do whatever you choose, if you first get to know who you are and are willing to work with a power that is greater than ourselves to do it.” — Ella Wheeler Wilcox
40. “Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime.” ― Edward Whymper, Scrambles Amongst The Alps
Philosophical climbing quotes
Here are some climbing quotes that will make you think. Which one of these quotes make you think the most?
41. “One that would have the fruit must climb the tree.” — Thomas Fuller
42. “If you climb a tree, you must climb down the same tree.” ― African Proverb
43. “When there is a big tree, small ones climb on its back to reach the sun.” ― Chinua Achebe
44. “After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.” — Nelson Mandela
45. “The only zen thoughts you can find on a mountain summit are those you brought yourself.” — Robert Pirsig
46. “It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.” — Muhammad Ali
47. “He who climbs upon the highest mountains laughs at all tragedies, real or imaginary. “ ― Friedrich Nietzsche
48. “Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.” — Greg Child
49. “He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
50. “The climb might be tough and challenging,but the view is worth it. There is a purpose for that pain; you just can’t always see it right away.” — Victoria Arlen
Life lessons we can all learn from climbing
Climbing will teach you a lot about persistence.
This important life skill will help you overcome and keep going even when you feel like giving up.
Fear of failure and letting people down when we feel like we can’t reach our goals is a normal human reaction.
You know when else you might feel fear—when you’re dangling from a large rock, suspended in the air, looking at the ground far below you.
Now, those who climb for fun, with all the proper equipment might not be in literal danger of falling to their deaths, but they really do not want to let go.
They want to reach the top. They train and practice and get a little further each time.
Sure, there have been times when they had to go back to the bottom and start over.
But they do not quit, knowing the view from the top is something they must see.
Climbing will also teach you to be present in the moment and use your problem solving skills.
Climbing, while your focus is divided, is not only unsafe, but not conducive to getting to the top.
You must be aware of where you hands and feet are, the placement of your equipment, and which rock you should reach for next.
Hanging off a mountain or rockwall is not the time for letting our thoughts wander.
You can overcome the obstacles you face. You are stronger than you know, and braver than you think!
Did any of the lessons from these climbing quotes teach you anything about life?
Share with your friends and post your thoughts in the comment section below.