Strong and tall, these tree quotes will show you how significant it is to establish roots that are built to last.
You may also enjoy our article on:
Trees are essential for life.
They are a crucial factor to our existence not only because they provide us with the materials for tools and shelter, but because they play a vital role in the carbon cycle.
They give us clean air, reduce the concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, act as natural air conditioners, and provide important habitats for the world’s wildlife.
Without trees, life could not exist on earth.
There would be no rain, our soils would be unprotected, and the air would be unsuitable for breathing
We need trees now more than ever!
If you’re looking for a powerful and affordable way to make a positive difference to the environment, go out and plant a tree today.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thought-provoking tree quotes, tree sayings, and tree proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
Tree Quotes To Make You Want To Plant Roots
1. “He who plants a tree. Plants a hope.” – Lucy Larcom
You will also enjoy our article on Vine quotes.
3. “Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” – John Muir
4. “Alone with myself the trees bend to caress me the shade hugs my heart” – Candy Polgar
5. “Someone’s sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.” – Warren Buffett
You will also enjoy our article on greek philosopher quotes.
6. “Until you dig a hole, you plant a tree, you water it and make it survive, you haven’t done a thing. You are just talking.” ― Wangari Maathai
7. “You can’t have the fruits without the roots.” ― Stephen Covey
8. “For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.” – Martin Luther
9. “Trees exhale for us so that we can inhale them to stay alive. Can we ever forget that? Let us love trees with every breath we take until we perish.” ― Munia Khan
10. “The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit.” – Nelson Henderson
Tree quotes that will inspire you to be more compassionate toward your surroundings
11. “I feel a great regard for trees; they represent age and beauty and the miracles of life and growth.” ― Louise Dickinson Rich
12. “The best friend on earth of man is the tree. When we use the tree respectfully and economically, we have one of the greatest resources on the earth.” ― Frank Lloyd Wright
13. “The only thing that ultimately matters is to eat an ice-cream cone, play a slide trombone, plant a small tree, good God, now you’re free.” – Ray Manzarek
14. “To exist as a nation, to prosper as a state, to live as a people, we must have trees.”― Theodore Roosevelt
15. “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” ― Chinese Proverb
16. “A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.” – Basil
You will also enjoy our article on House MD quotes.
17. “He that plants trees, loves others besides himself.” – Thomas Fuller
18. “Of all man’s works of art, a cathedral is greatest. A vast and majestic tree is greater than that.” – Henry Ward Beecher
19. “What we are doing to the forests of the world is but a mirror reflection of what we are doing to ourselves and to one another.” – Mahatma Gandhi
20. “A man doesn’t plant a tree for himself. He plants it for posterity.” – Alexander Smith
Also, read these Earth Day quotes on promoting environmental protection.
Tree quotes that will make you want to go plant one today
21. “That each day I may walk unceasingly on the banks of my water, that my soul may repose on the branches of the trees which I planted, that I may refresh myself under the shadow of my sycamore.” – Egyptian tomb inscription
22. “The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation increased; and not impaired in value.” – Theodore Roosevelt
23. “Whoever has learned how to listen to trees no longer wants to be a tree. He wants to be nothing except what he is. That is home. That is happiness.” ― Herman Hesse
24. “Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.” – Martin Luther
25. “Reversing deforestation is complicated; planting a tree is simple.” – Martin O’Malley
26. “The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all, our most pleasing responsibility.” ― Wendell Berry
27. “It is difficult to realize how great a part of all that is cheerful and delightful in the recollections of our own life is associated with trees.” – Wilson Flagg
28. “Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky, We fell them down and turn them into paper, That we may record our emptiness.” – Khalil Gibran
29. “A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” – Greek Proverb
30. “This solitary Tree! a living thing produced too slowly ever to decay; of form and aspect too magnificent to be destroyed.” – William Wordsworth
Don’t forget to also check out these farmer quotes that will make you love the land.
Tree quotes to remind you how our very breath depends on their conservation
31. “I said to the almond tree, ‘Friend, speak to me of God,’ and the almond tree blossomed.” – Nikos Kazantzakis
32. “Never say there is nothing beautiful in the world anymore. There is always something to make you wonder in the shape of a tree, the trembling of a leaf.” – Albert Schweitzer
33. “You know me, I think there ought to be a big old tree right there. And let’s give him a friend. Everybody needs a friend.” ― Bob Ross
34. “The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some see Nature all ridicule and deformity, and some scarce see Nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of imagination, Nature is Imagination itself.” – William Blake
35. “If a tree dies, plant another in its place.” – Carolus Linnaeus
36. “Trees are the best monuments that a man can erect to his own memory. They speak his praises without flattery, and they are blessings to children yet unborn.” – Lord Orrery
37. “And see the peaceful trees extend their myriad leaves in leisured dance—they bear the weight of sky and cloud upon the fountain of their veins.” – Kathleen Raine
38. “We can learn a lot from trees: they’re always grounded but never stop reaching heavenward.” – Everett Mamor
39. “Trees are sanctuaries. Whoever knows how to speak to them, whoever knows how to listen to them, can learn the truth. They do not preach learning and precepts, they preach undeterred by particulars, the ancient law of life.” – Hermann Hesse
40. “The only time I can really relax is up a tree or somewhere outside. I love being outside.” – Tom Felton
Don’t forget to also read these quotes from Greta Thunberg about climate change and more.
Tree quotes to inspire and teach
41. “Of the infinite variety of fruits which spring from the bosom of the earth, the trees of the wood are the greatest in dignity.” – Susan Fenimore Cooper
42. “I never saw a discontented tree. They grip the ground as though they liked it, and though fast rooted they travel about as far as we do.” – John Muir
43. “If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” – Jack Handey
44. “The trees are God’s great alphabet: With them He writes in shining green across the world His thoughts serene.” – Leonora Speyer
45. “I like trees because they seem more resigned to the way they have to live than other things do.” – Willa Cather
46. “Though a tree grows so high, the falling leaves return to the root.” – Malay proverb
47. “To be able to walk under the branches of a tree that you have planted is really to feel you have arrived with your garden. So far we are on the way: we can now stand beside ours.” – Mirabel Osler
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of garden quotes about the power of nature.
48. “The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
49. “A tree which has lost its head will never recover it again, and will survive only as a monument of the ignorance and folly of its Tormentor.” – George William Curtis
50. “People who will not sustain trees will soon live in a world that will not sustain people.” ― Bryce Nelson
More tree quotes and sayings
51. “Live like a tree, giving, forgiving and free.” – Debasish Mridha M.D.
52. “Every living creature should be grateful to every living tree for giving us a habitable world!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
53. “For a tree without a past is like a man without roots; and unless we stand in rich soil, our leaves will blow like blossom into the night.” – Richard Ayoade
54. “Some people are like trees, they take forever to grow up.” – Nitya Prakash
55. “You must always know your roots if you are to know how sturdy the tree will grow.” – Zoraida Córdova
56. “Look at a tree, a plant. How still they are, how deeply rooted in being. Allow nature to teach you stillness.” – Eckhart Tolle
57. “The next generation will never be able to understand the joy of planting a tree and watching it grow.” – Nitya Prakash
58. “I’m planting a tree to teach me to gather strength from my deepest roots.” – Andrea Koehle Jones
59. “To be without trees would, in the most literal way, to be without our roots.” – Richard Mabey
60. “Losing the trees may lead to the extinction of mankind.” – Steven Magee
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of palm tree quotes for beach lovers.
Inspirational tree quotes about life and love
61. “Art is the tree of life. Science is the tree of death.” — William Blake
62. “Life without love is like a tree without blossoms or fruit.” — Khalil Gibran
63. “If you don’t like how things are, change it! You’re not a tree.” — Jim Rohn
64. “Emancipation from the bondage of the soil is no freedom for the tree.” — Rabindranath Tagore
65. “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.” — Abraham Lincoln
66. “The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.” — Thomas Jefferson
67. “All theory, dear friend, is gray, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
68. “A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots.” — Marcus Garvey
69. “Nothing on this earth is standing still. It’s either growing or it’s dying. No matter if it’s a tree or a human being.” — Lou Holtz
70. “Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind.” — Bruce Lee
Insightful trees quotes to appreciate nature more
71. “The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” ― John Muir
72. “If I were a tree, I would have no reason to love a human.” ― Maggie Stiefvater
73. “What we are doing to the forests of the world is but a mirror reflection of what we are doing to ourselves and to one another.” ― Chris Maser
74. “Love the trees until their leaves fall off, then encourage them to try again next year.” ― Chad Sugg
75. “A cold wind was blowing from the north, and it made the trees rustle like living things.” ― George R.R. Martin
76. “Trees’re always a relief, after people.” ― David Mitchell
77. “Listen to the trees as they sway in the wind. Their leaves are telling secrets. Their bark sings songs of olden days as it grows around the trunks. And their roots give names to all things. Their language has been lost. But not the gestures.” ― Vera Nazarian
78. “If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it, doesn’t it just lie there and rot?” ― Chuck Palahniuk
79. “When trees burn, they leave the smell of heartbreak in the air.” ― Jodi Thomas
80. “In a forest of a hundred thousand trees, no two leaves are alike. And no two journeys along the same path are alike.” ― Paulo Coelho
Tree Quotes To Celebrate Mother Nature
81. “Not all trees give fruit, but all trees give shadow.” ― Amit Kalantri
82. “Character is like a tree and reputation is like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.” ― Abraham Lincoln
83. “For a tree to become tall it must grow tough roots among the rocks.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
84. “The first guy who came up with the concept of religion was sitting out under a tree. I’m sure of that.” ― Tom T. Hall
85. “For us to bear the fruits of our trees, the roots need to go beneath.” ― Goitsemang Mvula
86. “Every craggy and gnarled tree has its own strange and graceful legend attached to it.” ― Douglas Hyde
87. “Trees are right at the heart of all the necessary debates: ecological, social, economic, political, moral, religious.” ― Colin Tudge
88. “Those who seek out the comfort of trees are usually on a journey for meaning, wisdom.” ― Jessica Marie Baumgartner
89. “The sun does not shine for a few trees and flowers, but for the wide world’s joy.” ― Henry Ward Beecher
90. “He who plants a tree is a servant of God.” ― Louis L’Amour
Tree Quotes To Make You Adore Nature
91. “We with our lives are like islands in the sea, or like trees in the forest… But the trees also commingle their roots in the darkness underground.” — William James
92. “Man is nature as much as the trees.” — Dan Kiley
93. “As an instrument of planetary home repair, it is hard to imagine anything as safe as a tree.” — Jonathan Weiner
94. Tree at my window, window tree, My sash is lowered when night comes on; But let there never be curtain drawn Between you and me.” — Robert Frost
95. “If I thought I was going to die tomorrow, I should nevertheless plant a tree today.” — Stephen Girard
96. “We are born believing. A man bears beliefs as a tree bears apples.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
97. Lord save us all from a hope tree that has lost the faculty of putting out blossoms.” — Mark Twain
98. “A people without children would face a hopeless future; a country without trees is almost as helpless.” — Theodore Roosevelt
99. “Even as a tree has a single trunk, but many branches and leaves, there is one religion but any number of faiths.” — Mahatma Gandhi
100. “Be like a tree. The tree gives shade even to him who cuts off its boughs.” — Chaitanya Mahaprabhu
Which of these tree quotes was your favorite?
Trees are vital.
Whether it’s combating climate change, cleaning the air, shading our homes and streets, conserving energy, saving water, or preventing soil erosion, trees play an important role in our world.
Today, the value of trees keeps increasing as their role expands to meet the needs brought by our modern lifestyles.
We hope the quotes above have inspired you to conserve trees and plant more of them.
If you loved these tree quotes, check out our acorn quotes!
Did you enjoy these tree quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
Tell us in the comment section below.
We would love to hear all about it.