They say love is hard but no one warns you how difficult it can be to go through a break-up.
These ex quotes will help.
You may also enjoy our article on:
It’s hard to believe that a person you once loved so much could cause you so much hurt, anger, and grief.
Break-ups can be hard whether you’ve been together for a month or for years.
There are many emotions you’ll experience.
Some days you might be sad and think about trying to get back together and other days they might be the person you hate the most in the world.
These Ex quotes will help you get through the ups and downs.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Explore our complete collection of motivational quotes here.
Ex quotes about love
1. “Why are old lovers able to become friends? Two reasons. They never truly loved each other, or they love each other still.” – Whitney Otto
2. “Love doesn’t leave you. Not all at once. It creeps back in, making you think it can be another way, that it can still be another way, and you have to remind yourself of the reasons that it probably won’t be.” – Laura Dave
3. “I thought I still loved you but then I realized I just love the memories of who you used to be.” – Morgan Hanthom
You will also enjoy our article on Polar Express quotes.
4. “When someone loves you, there’s nothing they won’t do for you. When they stop loving you, there’s nothing they will.” – Matt Dunn
You might also like these break up quotes to help you heal and move on.
Ex quotes about not getting back together
5. “Some people don’t realize what they have until it’s gone, but that does not always mean they are supposed to get it back.” – Stephan Labossiere
You will also enjoy our article on toxic relationships quotes.
6. “We are never ever, ever getting back together.” — Taylor Swift
You will also enjoy our article on broken heart quotes.
7. “All discarded lovers should be given a second chance, but with somebody else.” – Mae West
You will also enjoy our article on separation quotes.
8. “Realizing that many you once thought the world of are nothing but glorified assholes means you’ve grown up.” – Crystal Woods
You will also enjoy our article on hug quotes.
9. “Sometimes it takes a heartbreak to shake us awake & help us see we are worth so much more than we’re settling for.” – Mandy Hale
You will also enjoy our article on Megan Thee Stallion quotes.
10. “Usually, a breakup is caused by, or causes, the revelation of one of the parties’ true colours.”― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
You will also enjoy our article on Letterkenny quotes.
11. “Yes, I made the mistake of falling in love with a man without any feelings. Now it all makes sense.”― Sophie Kinsella
You will also enjoy our article on wise quotes.
12. “I don’t care what you think about me. I don’t think about you at all.” – Coco Chanel
You will also enjoy our article on love your life quotes.
13. “The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.” – Alan Watts
You will also enjoy our article on get well soon quotes.
14. “I don’t think much about guys from the past. I’m glad I knew them, but there’s a reason they didn’t make it into my future.” – Lorraine Rosenthal
You will also enjoy our article on missing someone quotes.
Ex quotes about the pain of breaking up
According to a study by the University of Arizona, individuals who experience a more positive emotional recovery after a breakup are more likely to report higher levels of personal growth and development, indicating the potential long-term benefits of effectively managing breakup-related emotions.
This suggests that inspirational quotes and messages may have a positive impact on individuals’ personal growth and development.
15. “You’re gone and you left me. My heart has dissipated. The only thing I can feel is the blood rushing through my veins and the strings that hold my fragile heart together.” – Karen Quan
You will also enjoy our article on Qui Gon Jinn quotes.
16. “You have the right to leave someone, but at least tell them why, cause what’s even more painful than being abandoned, is knowing you’re not worth an explanation.” – Drake
17. “I always knew looking back on the tears would make me laugh, but I never knew looking back on the laughs would make me cry.” – Dr. Seuss
18. “No matter how bad you want a person, if your hearts are in two different places, you’ll have to pass and move on.” – Alexandra Elle
19. “You keep waiting for the heaviness to leave you. You keep waiting for the moment you never think about the ex again. It doesn’t come.” – Junot Díaz
20. “It hurts when one day you wake up and you know you’re missing someone from your past but they are not there for you anymore.” – Norma Marthalia
21. “I felt her absence. It was like waking up one day with no teeth in your mouth. You wouldn’t need to run to the mirror to know they were gone.” – James Dashner
22. “I know my heart will never be the same but I’m telling myself I’ll be okay” – Sara Evans
You will also enjoy our article on break-up quotes.
Ex quotes for when you miss them
23. “I miss everything about you… I can’t believe that I still want you. After all the things we’ve been through. I miss everything about you.” – Colbie Caillat
24. “It’s probably a bad indicator of your lifestyle when you miss your ex-boyfriend because he’s absolutely lethal.” – Charlaine Harris
25. “They say when you are missing someone that they are probably feeling the same, but I don’t think it’s possible for you to miss me as much as I’m missing you right now.” – Edna St. Vincent Millay
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of miss you quotes to fill that loneliness in your heart.
26. “I don’t want you back, but I would kill for the feeling of meeting you all over again.” – Jessica Katoff
27. “It’s crazy how you can go months or years without talking to someone but they still cross your mind every day.” – Anurag Prakash Ray
28. “My heart won’t let you go, and I need you to know, I miss you.” – Miley Cyrus
29. “But I must admit I miss you quite terribly. The world is too quiet without you nearby.” – Lemony Snicket
30. “I think it’s important to realize you can miss something, but not want it back.” – Paulo Coelho
31. “Loving you was like going to war; I never came back the same.” – Warsan Shire
32. “I miss him in so many ways, but right now I miss him in the way you always miss someone when you’re single among a room full of couples.” – Emily Griffin
33. “I miss you more than the sun misses the sky at night.” – Taylor Swift
34. “So for now I say goodbye to this chapter of my life and I look forward to what comes next.” — Brooke Davis
35. “We were on a break!” — Ross Gellar
More ex quotes
36. “Oftentimes someone leaves their partner who is comparable to the sun for someone else who is comparable to a spark.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
37. “Drinking coffee with your ex is healthy. It’s good for the soul.”― Leju Thomas
38. “We are all trying to get over the person who broke our hearts. We are all far from perfect.” – Alex Rosa
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of heart break quotes about moving on from a breakup.
39. “..And now you’ve lost the only thing that ever made you feel alive.”― Keith Urban
40. “Sometimes a woman will look back on what she had, not because she wants to go there but to motivate her to do better.” – Reuben “Mulah Truth” Holmes II
41. “When someone leaves, it’s because someone else is about to arrive.” – Paulo Coelho
42. “It is better to lock up your heart with a merciless padlock than to fall in love with someone who doesn’t know what they mean to you.”― Michael Bassey Johnson
43. “I cannot compromise my respect for your love. You can keep your love, I will keep my respect.”― Amit Kalantri
44. “Sometimes, I don’t know what haunts me more… the memories of you… or the happy person I used to be.” – Ranata Suzuki
45. “The best revenge you can get on your ex is to move on and let them see you happy with someone that treats you better than they did.” – Sonya Parker
Funny ex quotes
46. “Some people are very happy despite their ex’s absence; some, because of it.”― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
47. “Ex-girlfriends are like car wrecks. You shouldn’t want to know the details, but you do.”
Allison van Diepen
48. “Dating an ex is the equivalent of failing a test you already had the answers to.” – Kendrick Cole
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of dating quotes about modern-day romance.
49. “Everyone has that one ex that they don’t claim.” – Nitya Prakash
50. “Blaming the ex for the breakup is like blaming the clothes for not fitting you.” – Khang Nguyen
Ex Quotes To Encourage You In Finding A New Partner
51. “You should not propose marriage until you have resolved your feelings about your ex.” ― Amy Dickinson
52. “In what twisted universe would a girl who’s just been dumped still want to be friends with the boy who dumped her?” ― Susane Colasanti
53. “When you delete pictures of your ex off your phone, it feels lighter.” ― Dane Cook
54. “Going back to your ex is like taking back your spit from the ground.” ― M.F. Moonzajer
55. “Whatever he’s calling his ex right now, he’ll be calling you when things don’t go his way. Be warned.” ― Miya Yamanouchi
56. “When your ex says ‘You’ll never find anyone like me’. Say ‘that’s the point’.” ― Drake
57. “Things You Shouldn’t Say on a Date: 8. My ex, may he rot in hell forever…” ― Gena Showalter
58. “Your basic extended family today includes your ex-husband or -wife, your ex’s new mate, your new mate, possibly your new mate’s ex, and any new mate that your new mate’s ex has acquired.” ― Delia Ephron
59. “It’s disconcerting to realize how little you have to say to someone who once occupied such a prominent place in your bed.” ― Sue Grafton
60. “It is possible for your ex, your boyfriend or girlfriend, or your husband or wife, to no longer be your type.” ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
Thought Provoking Ex Quotes
61. “Can we go back to using Facebook for what it was originally for – looking up exes to see how fat they got?” — Bill Maher
62. “I love firm hugs. Statues are so affectionate. Well, at least compared to my ex wife.” — Jarod Kintz
63. “He counts as an ex because he made me feel dumped even without making me feel loved first.” — David Levithan
64. “Sitting on the sidewalk outside of his workplace like some creepy stalker ex-girlfriend, waiting for him to come out so I can ambush him with love.” — Cynthia Hand
65. “When your ex asks you to remain friends after you break-up, it’s like a kidnapper asking you to “keep-in-touch” after he releases you.” — Nitya Prakash
66. “Men who stayed friends with their ex-girlfriends were Feathery Strokers. Especially if they called them their “ex-partner.” — Marian Keyes
67. “I had a dream that my boyfriend went back to his ex… I woke up and giggled because you don’t pick up a rock after finding a diamond.” — Starley Ard
68. “Fletcher was always going to be your ex-boyfriend, from the moment you met him. He’s just finally caught up with where he’s supposed to be.” — Derek Landy
69. “I love my ex so much I printed out all his pictures. After all, I need him for target practice. And I just love customized toilet paper and doormats. My only regret is that those items don’t bear his autograph.” — Natalya Vorobyova
70. “One day your kids will ask you “What is love?” And you will look at your spouse and remember your ex.” — Nitya Prakash
Ex Quotes for Coping With a Breakup
71. “Did you know when you go it’s the perfect ending / To the bad day I was just beginning / When you go all I know is you’re my favorite mistake.” ― Jeff Trott
72. “Got a long list of ex lovers / They’ll tell you I’m insane / But I’ve got a blank space, baby / And I’ll write your name.” ― Max Martin
73. “When I said I hope you’re happy, didn’t mean it / Never thought you’d be so good at moving on / When I’m lying wide awake, you’re probably sleeping / And maybe what I’m thinking is wrong.” ― Adam King Feeney
74. “Forget about your ex he wasn’t good enough / Only when he called is when the spot got rough.” ― Cliff Lighty
75. “Send my love to your new lover / Treat her better / We’ve gotta let go of all of our ghosts / We both know we ain’t kids no more.” ― Adele Adkins
76. “Shout out to my ex, you’re really quite the man / You made my heart break and that made me who I am.” ― Camille Purcell et al
77. “I loved you, and / You love me / And I just couldn’t see tomorrow, baby / And I cared for you / And I didn’t see us through / Now I know in my heart you will always be / The greatest x ever.” ― Christopher A. Stewart
78. “Here’s to my ex, hey, look at me now / Well, I, I’m all the way up / I swear you’ll never bring me down.” ― Camille Purcell et al
79. “And I just can’t believe / We went from strangers to lovers to strangers in a lifetime / Now just memories / We’ve gone from strangers to lovers to strangers / Yeah.” ― Charlie Puth
80. “But since you been gone / I can breathe for the first time / I’m so movin’ on, yeah, yeah / Thanks to you / Now I get what I want.” ― Lukasz Gottwald
Which of these ex quotes inspired you to keep your head up and move on
As you work through the difficult emotions that can come with a break-up, keep this list of ex quotes close by.
It can be helpful to hear from others that understand what you are feeling or read quotes that can be a good reminder on why you should put your phone down and not give your ex a call.
Keep your head up and each day will get a little better and you’ll get a little stronger.
Choose a few quotes that help you the most and put them somewhere that you will see them during the hard times.
Eventually, this break-up will be in the past and you’ll be thankful to be past the relationship.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these ex quotes and sayings?
If you liked this article, check out these People Come and Go quotes.
Do you have any other helpful quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.