These quotes about the importance of movement will give you a burst of energy.
Moving your body is important, especially in the modern world where a sedentary lifestyle is common.
These movement quotes will inspire you to take action and start exercising. It’s bad for your health to spend too much time in front of the computer or television without moving.
Why is movement so important?
If you want to live a long, healthy life, it’s vital to incorporate fitness into your everyday routine. This collection of movement quotes highlights the importance of an active lifestyle.
Motion is a valuable and enjoyable aspect of life. Our ability to move, exercise, and align our bodies is amazing. Read these quotes about the importance of movement and celebrate all your physical talents and gifts.
Once you embrace fitness into your lifestyle, you’ll feel more energized than ever. This list of motivational quotes will have you moving your body to a new rhythm.
Also check out these walking quotes about the mental, physical, and emotional benefits.
Movement quotes to give you a burst of energy
1. “Consciousness is only possible through change; change is only possible through movement.” – Aldous Huxley
2. “In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you.” – Deepak Chopra
3. “The primary and most beautiful of nature’s qualities is motion” – Marquis De Sade
4. “I move, therefore I am.” – Haruki Murakami
5. “The least movement is of importance to all nature. The entire ocean is affected by a pebble.” – Blaise Pascal
6. “Movement is a medicine for creating change in a person’s physical, emotional, and mental states.” – Carol Welch
7. “Much more of the brain is devoted to movement than to language. Language is only a little thing sitting on top of this huge ocean of movement.” – Oliver Sacks
8. “Your hand opens and closes and opens and closes. If it were always a fist or always stretched open, you would be paralyzed. Your deepest presence is in every small contracting and expanding, the two as beautifully balanced and coordinated as bird wings.” – Rumi
9. “I’m passionately involved in life: I love its change, its color, its movement. To be alive, to be able to see, to walk, to have houses, music, paintings ― it’s all a miracle.” – Arthur Rubinstein
10. “The body always leads us home … if we can simply learn to trust sensation and stay with it long enough for it to reveal appropriate action, movement, insight, or feeling.” – Pat Ogden
Movement quotes that will motivate you to move your body
11. “Me thinks that the minute my legs begin to move my thoughts begin to flow, as if I had given vent to the stream at the lower end and consequently new fountains flowed into it at the upper.” – Henry David Thoreau
12. “I see plainly how external images influence the image that I call my body: they transmit movement to it. And I also see how this body influences external images: it gives back movement to them.” – Henri Bergson
13. “All that is important is this one moment in movement. Make the moment important, vital, and worth living. Do not let it slip away unnoticed and unused.” – Martha Graham
14. “Trying out new ways of using your body in handling various situations breaks you free from old ways of thinking and being.” – Mirka Knaster
15. “It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.” – Alan Cohen
16. “Think with the whole body.” – Taisen Deshimaru
17. “We have a brain for one reason and one reason only ― that’s to produce adaptable and complex movements. Movement is the only way we have affecting the world around us … I believe that to understand movement is to understand the whole brain. And therefore it’s important to remember when you are studying memory, cognition, sensory processing, they’re there for a reason, and that reason is action.” – Daniel Wolpert
18. “Take care of your body with steadfast fidelity. The soul must see through these eyes alone, and if they are dim, the whole world is clouded.” – Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
19. “Too much action with too little intent makes for wasteful exertion of energy and the confusion between movement and progress.” – Steve Maraboli
20. “Exercise alone provides psychological and physical benefits. However, if you also adopt a strategy that engages your mind while you exercise, you can get a whole host of psychological benefits fairly quickly.” – James Rippe
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of exercise quotes to inspire long term thinking.
Movement quotes to make you more active
21. “Our own body is the best health system we have ― if we know how to listen to it.” – Christiane Northrup
22. “Change means movement. Movement means friction. Only in the frictionless vacuum of a nonexistent abstract world can movement or change occur without that abrasive friction of conflict.” – Saul Alinsky
23. “Exercise and application produce order in our affairs, health of body, cheerfulness of mind, and these make us precious to our friends.” – Thomas Jefferson
24. “Behind the visible movement there is another movement, one which cannot be seen, which is very strong, on which the outer movement depends. If this inner movement were not so strong, the outer one would not have any action.” – Jeanne de Salzmann
25. “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” – George Bernard Shaw
26. “Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity.” – John F. Kennedy
27. “Sometimes it’s only in the ecstasy of unrepressed movement that we may enter the stillness of our authentic selves. In such sacred moments, the world seems to be in step. This is why the idea of finding love across the dance floor endure ― symbolizing that, when we know the true rhythm of our heart, we know the other.” – Alexandra Katehakis
28. “Movement is tranquility.” – Stirling Moss
29. “Exercise and temperance can preserve something of our early strength even in old age.” – Cicero
30. “We float effortlessly in the ethereal tide of the movement of the rhythms of nature and the vibrations of the pulse of life.” – Ian Factor
Movement quotes on the importance of an active lifestyle
31. “A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world.” – Paul Dudley White
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of health quotes expressing the power of making healthy choices.
32. “Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness.” – Edward Stanley
33. “Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it.” – Plato
34. “Whatever gets you moving and out of your head is good for you.” – Marty Rubin
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of moving quotes about the power of a new environment.
35. “Action is this movement which is itself thought and emotion. This action is the relationship between the individual and society. It is conduct, work cooperation, which we call fulfillment. That is, when mind is functioning without seeking a culmination, a goal, and therefore thinking creatively, that thinking is action, which is the relationship between the individual and society. Now, if this movement of thought is clear, simple, direct, spontaneous, profound, then there is no conflict in the individual against society, for action then is the very expression of this living, creative movement.” – Krishnamurti
36. “Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.” – Jason Crandall
37. “Inertness is the universal sign of death. Nothing can exist without movement.” – Drew Gerald
38. “People will pay any price for motion. They will even work for it. Look at bicycles.” – William Faulkner
39. “Movement is the song of the body.” – Vanda Scaravelli
40. “Trust only movement. Life happens at the level of events, not of words. Trust movement.” – Alfred Adler
For additional reading, be sure to also check out these letting go quotes for finally moving on.
Movement quotes to motivate you into action
41. “To me, if life boils down to one thing, it’s movement. To live is to keep moving.” – Jerry Seinfeld
42. “There can be no transforming of darkness into light and of apathy into movement without emotion.” – Carl Jung
43. “Life is in a perpetual spontaneous movement and free. The art of all arts is to capture a 3-dimensional contextual moment. If you cling to it you won’t capture it and if you do not stay alert you’ll miss it.” – Philippe Benichou
44. “Life is a balance between rest and movement.” – Rajneesh
45. “I really love yoga. I love the mindfulness of it, where not only are you exercising your body, but you’re also building that mind/body connection as far as being aware of every movement – what your body’s doing, how your body’s feeling.” – Miranda Rae Mayo
46. “People in motion are wonderful to photograph. It means catching the right moment… when one thing changes into something else.” – Andre Kertesz
47. “There is movement and movement. There are movements of small tension and movements of great tension and there is also a movement which our eyes cannot catch although it can be felt. In art this state is called dynamic movement.” – Kazimir Malevich
48. “Everything is in motion. Everything flows. Everything is vibrating.” – Dr. Wayne Dyer
49. “Few people know how to take a walk. The qualifications are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good speech, good silence and nothing too much.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
50. “The dance is a poem of which each movement is a word.” – Mata Hari
Other inspirational movement quotes
51. “We see in order to move; we move in order to see.” – William Gibson
52. “Take action! An inch of movement will bring you closer to your goals than a mile of intention.” – Steve Maraboli
53. “Movement satisfies the prerequisites for your body function. Don’t rest! Move!” – Joerg Teichmann
54. “A movement is always made up of individuals, and it’s the cumulative effort to these individuals that create change.” – Earthling Ed
55. “We move from one invisibility to another.” – Ali Smith
56. Every little movement has a meaning of its own. – Tony Sarg
57. “Using your body to free your mind. That’s the blessing bestowed by movement, by action.” – Marty Rubin
58. “Every movement based on the kingdom principles brings a positive turnaround.” – Sunday Adelaja
59. “By moving fearlessly you can gain a limitless mind.” – Armin Houman
60. “Each day move a little more from tightening to lightening.” – Alan Cohen
Movement quotes about other things we consider to be movement
61. “All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward.” — Ellen Glasgow
62. “Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul for the education of its virtue.” — Plato
63. “Movement is life; and it is well to be able to forget the past, and kill the present by continual change.” — Jules Verne
64. “Every avalanche begins with the movement of a single snowflake, and my hope is to move a snowflake.” — Thomas Frey
65. “When I started studying acting, I was enamored of actors who used movement to enhance the language.” — Steven Berkoff
66. “Music is the expression of the movement of the waters, the play of curves described by changing breezes.” — Claude Debussy
67. “You must take the first step. The first steps will take some effort, maybe pain. But after that, everything that has to be done is real-life movement.” — Ben Stein
68. “Talent without discipline is like an octopus on roller skates. There’s plenty of movement, but you never know if it’s going to be forward, backwards, or sideways.” — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
69. “I don’t harp on the negative because if you do, then there’s no progression. There’s no forward movement. You got to always look on the bright side of things, and we are in control. Like, you have control over the choices you make.” — Taraji P. Henson
70. “Meditation is to be aware of every thought and of every feeling, never to say it is right or wrong, but just to watch it and move with it. In that watching, you begin to understand the whole movement of thought and feeling. And out of this awareness comes silence.” — Jiddu Krishnamurti
Movement quotes about dance
71. “The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.” — Alan Watts
72. “Actually, I try different kinds of exercise. I do functional training, Zumba, classical dance and walking.” — Navya Nair
73. “Movement is expressive. I’ve never denied that. I don’t think there’s such a thing as abstract dance.” — Merce Cunningham
74. “When a body moves, it’s the most revealing thing. Dance for me a minute, and I’ll tell you who you are.” — Mikhail Baryshnikov
75. “When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the floor. It’s to enjoy each step along the way.” — Wayne Dyer
76. “When I’m traveling, I always look for a dance studio. It’s a great workout and a wonderful way to meet new friends in the community.” — Rachel Boston
77. “You have to dance unencumbered. There’s no other way to move. The idea of dance is freedom. It is not exclusiveness, it’s inclusiveness.” — Judith Jamison
78. “The men’s dance style in dancehall is territorial, but it’s also flirtatious and it’s also showing off strength by way of smooth movement that you can only do if you’re really strong. It has so much attitude.” — Caroline Polachek
79. “When movement isn’t enough, you dance, or when speaking isn’t enough, you sing. When it’s organic, and it’s earned like that in a musical, that’s when it works, and then there’s nothing like it because it’s this thing that takes you to a whole ‘nother level, you know?” — Rob Marshall
80. “I had certain physical limitations that made me change the choreography for myself or made me more interested in choreography only rather than dancing. I have never been a person who wanted to just dance. I have always been interested in developing for other people.” — Katherine Dunham
Positive Mindset Fitness Quotes
81. “The human body is the best work of art.” – Jess C. Scott
82. “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein
83. “Your body is the church where Nature asks to be reverenced.” – Marquis de Sade
84. “Want to learn to eat a lot? Here it is: Eat a little. That way, you will be around long enough to eat a lot.” – Tony Robbins
85. “Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.” – Jim Rohn
86. “To enjoy the glow of good health, you must exercise.” – Gene Tunney
87. “Look in the mirror. That’s your competition.” – John Assaraf
88. “The best day to start exercising is today. Tomorrow can turn into weeks, months or years.” – Mark Dilworth
89. “The five S’s of sports training are: stamina, speed, strength, skill, and spirit; but the greatest of these is spirit.” – Ken Doherty
90. “Your body can stand almost anything. It’s your mind that you have to convince.” – Andrew Murphy
Movement quotes to avoid stagnation
91. “Never confuse movement with action.” – Ernest Hemingway
92. “Without movement there is no Life…We should use our energy to the fullest.” – Ai Qing
93. “Education is the movement from darkness to light.” – Allan Bloom
94. “Without revolutionary theory there can be no revolutionary movement.” – Vladimir Lenin
95. “Don’t try to rush progress. Remember — a step forward, no matter how small, is a step in the right direction. Keep believing.” – Kara Goucher
96. “All creative activity begins with movement.”- Joseph C Zinker
97. “Nothing is more revealing than movement.” – Martha Graham
98. “It’s great to want to be part of something, but it’s a different thing completely to believe wholly in some type of movement, and to give everything for that something.” – Brandon Boyd
99. “How satisfying it is to leave a mark on a blank surface. To make a map of my movement – no matter how temporary.” – Craig Thompson
100. “I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” – Leo Tolstoy
Movement quotes on the importance of taking the initiative
101. “Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” – Mahatma Gandhi
102. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Explore, dream, and discover.” – H. Jackson Brown Jr.
103. “Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.” – Dalai Lama XIV
104. “You do not write your life with words…You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.” – Patrick Ness
105. “Do you want to know who you are? Don’t ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.” – Thomas Jefferson
106. “The future depends on what you do today.” – Mahatma Gandhi
107. “You are what you do, not what you say you’ll do.” – Carl Gustav Jung
108. “Infuse your life with action. Don’t wait for it to happen. Make it happen.” – Bradley Whitford
109. “To have what you have never had, you have to do what you have never done.” – Roy T. Bennett
110. “Don’t be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Movement Quotes To Encourage Body Fitness
111. “She writes things with her movements that I for the life of me could never write with a pen.” ― Christopher Poindexter
112. “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” — Walt Disney
113. “If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.” — Henry Ford
114. “There’s no time for regrets. You’ve just got to keep moving forward.” — Mike McCready
115. “Exercises are like prose, whereas yoga is the poetry of movements.” — Amit Ray
116. “I’ve noticed it a lot. I’m not someone who revises. It’s always the first movement, it’s that. It’s an instinct. Either it works straight away, or it won’t ever work.” — Amelie Nothomb
117. “One of the few luxuries left is travel, and the aspect of travel that is luxurious is not the movement, but the being there.” — Andre Balazs
118. “We started a movement… to build character, citizenship and confidence in young people.” — Andrew Shue
119. “Everybody has talent, it’s just a matter of moving around until you’ve discovered what it is.” — George Lucas
120. “Change is a great and horrible thing, and people love it or hate it at the same time. Without change, however, you just don’t move.” — Marc Jacobs
Which of these movement quotes motivates you to move your body?
Fitness and exercise are important aspects of a healthy life. Moving your body is good for your physical, mental, and emotional well-being. This collection of movement quotes will encourage you to live a more active lifestyle.
As you incorporate movement into your daily routine, you’ll begin to notice positive results. If you want to feel happier, stronger, and more energized, turn to the power of motion. Read these movement quotes for fitness inspiration and take action today.
Many people underestimate the importance of movement. Living an active life and moving your body will improve your overall health and happiness. These quotes about movement and energy will inspire you to reach your goals.
Whether you like running, swimming, biking, or some other activity, these words are sure to resonate with you. Share this list of quotes with your friends and family and inspire them to get moving.
What are your favorite movement quotes and sayings? Let us know in the comment section below.
June 22, 2022 6:00 AM EST