Moving Away Quotes to Help You Transition
December 1, 2022 6:00 AM EST
These moving away quotes are something just about anyone can relate to!
Whether you had to move away as a child, moved away from your hometown when you were a young adult, or have had to move your entire family.
Moving away can be a sad experience because you must say goodbye to people you care about.
However, as many of these moving away quotes point out, goodbyes do not have to be forever!
There are a few things that you can do to help you cope with the sadness of moving away.
The first thing is to know that it is ok to feel melancholy when moving.
Don’t feel guilty about being a little homesick at first!
You will probably experience some excitement about all the new prospects available to you, at the time as feeling a little nervous.
This is a normal response.
Just know that it is also ok to get out and explore all your new surroundings.
A little fun in your new environment might make you feel a little better.
Keep reading for more tips on how to cope with moving away.
If you enjoy this article, check out our collection of moving forward quotes to help you take that next step.
Moving away quotes for kids to help say goodbye
1. “See you later, Alligator.” — Bill Haley and the Comets
2. “Goodbye always makes my throat hurt.” — Charlie Brown
You will also enjoy our article on Princess and the Frog quotes.
3. “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” — Dr. Seuss
You will also enjoy our article on separation quotes.
4. “There are no goodbyes; wherever you’ll be, you’ll be in my heart.” — Mahatma Gandhi
You will also enjoy our article on missing friends quotes.
5. “Truly great friends are hard to find, harder to leave, and impossible to forget.” — G. Randolf
6. “You have been my friend. That in itself is a tremendous thing.” — E.B. White, Charlotte’s Web
7. “Remember me and smile, for it’s better to forget than to remember me and cry.” — Dr. Suess
8. “Never forget me because if I thought you would, I’d never leave.” — A. A. Milne, Once On A Time
9. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” — A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
10. “Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting.” — J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
You will also enjoy our article on Scooby-Doo quotes.
Moving away quotes about new beginnings and hellos
11. “Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.” — Semisonic
12. “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with another hello.” — Paulo Coehlo
13. “The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.” — Charles Dickens, Nicholas Nickleby
14. “The two hardest things to say in life are hello for the first time and goodbye for the last.” — Moira Rogers
15. “Wherever you may go, Wherever you may have been, Saying goodbye is fine if you say hello again.” — John Walter Bratton
16. “It’s time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad, and I’d much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure.” — Ernie Harwell
17. “Goodbyes are not forever; goodbyes aren’t final when you only mean we’ll miss you until we meet again.” — John Walter Bratton
18. “You may not always end up where you thought you were going. But you will always end up where you are meant to be.” — Unknown
19. “What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from.” — T.S. Eliot
20. “Don’t be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.” — Richard Bach
You will also enjoy our article on December quotes.
Moving away quotes to share with friends
21. “Be well, do good work, and keep in touch.” — Garrison Keillor
22. “Distance means so little when someone means so much.” — Unknown
23. “Missing our friend is missing ourselves from the world.” — Sashank Varma
24. “True friends don’t say goodbye, they just take extended leaves of absence from each other.” — Unknown
25. “So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good.” — Helen Keller
26. “Though miles may lie between us, We are never far apart, For friendship doesn’t count miles. It’s measured by the heart.” — Unknown
27. “Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.” — Henry David Thoreau
28. “Yesterday brought the beginning, tomorrow brings the end, though somewhere in the middle we became the best of friends.” — Unknown
29. “No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other’s worth.” — Robert Southey
30. “Can miles truly separate you from friends? If you want to be with someone you love, aren’t you already there?” — Richard Bach, There’s No Such Place As Far Away
You will also enjoy our article on walk away quotes.
Moving away quotes about saying goodbye to and missing those you love
31. “I miss you in waves and tonight I’m drowning.” — Denice Envall
32. “What is the opposite of two? A lonely me, a lonely you.” — Richard Wilbur
33. “Half of me is missing … and the other half is missing you.” — Ranata Suzuki
34. “If I miss you any harder my heart might come looking for you.” — Gemma Troy
35. “Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love.” — George Eliot
36. “Missing someone is your heart’s way of reminding you that you love them.” — Unknown
37. “The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected.” — Nicholas Sparks
38. “I hate the feeling when you have to say goodbye to someone you want to spend every minute with.” — Unknown
39. “Man’s feelings are always purest and most glowing in the hour of meeting and of farewell.” — Jean Paul Richter
40. “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” — Rumi
Moving away quotes that might inspire you to make a change
41. “Adventure must start with running away from home.” — William Bolitho
42. “Leave home with a big, bright dream. Nurture it into a bigger, brighter reality.” — Unknown
43. “You may feel like home is the anchor in your storm, but leaving may well save you from drowning.” — Unknown
44. “Leaving home in a sense involves a sort of second birth in which we give birth to ourselves.” — Robert Neely Bellah
45. “The sweetest part of leaving home is knowing, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that you’ll always carry it with you.” — Unknown
46. “Once I was brave enough to leave home, I discovered splendid parts of me I had no clue existed. I, then, realized where they came from and hurried home.” — Unknown
47. “It’s never too late to become who you want to be. I hope you live a life that you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start over.” — F. Scott Fitzgerald
48. “You get a strange feeling when you’re about to leave a place… like you’ll not only miss the people you love, but you’ll miss the person you are now at this time and this place because you’ll never be this way ever again.” — Azar Nafisi
49. “No, this is not the beginning of a new chapter in my life; this is the beginning of a new book! That first book is already closed, ended, and tossed into the seas; this new book is newly opened, has just begun! Look, it is the first page! And it is a beautiful one!” — C. JoyBell C.
50. “There’s nothing wrong with being content with where you are, but if you have that nagging voice in your head tell you to “just go!” then do it. Comfort zones are, well, comfortable, but they’re also a place where possibilities are limited and opportunities are minimal. Just do it.” — Brittani Dick, Elite Daily
What to do when moving away
Another thing you can do when moving away that might make you feel a little less homesick is to pack some of your favorite things!
These could be personal possessions like your favorite blanket or even snacks that are specific to your hometown that your new location might not have.
Just because you are out there meeting new people (hopefully) does not mean that you can not stay in connect with your loved ones.
In today’s digital age, you can Facetime with people, message them on social media, or even just give them a call!
It is also helpful to remember why you moved in the first place when you are feeling a little blue.
Did you move for a better job and more money?
Was your move part of going to college?
Whatever caused your move, there is a reason you thought it was what you should do.
Remember your ‘why’ and you will feel a little better.
Moving away can be an exciting time, even when you are nervous or sad.
Try to focus on the opportunities that you have now that you didn’t back home.
Remember to get out there and explore your new home, talk to new people, and stay in contact with your loved ones.
You will be fine after adjusting, but give yourself a little time to feel your feelings.
Do you have any other tips on coping with a move?
What did you learn from these moving away quotes and sayings?
Let us know in the comment section below.