These inspiring promise quotes about keeping your word will remind you to always be honest and honorable.
If you make a promise to somebody, it’s important to follow through and keep your word. There is an immense amount of value in keeping your commitments. People will remember if you break your promises and act untrustworthy.
These incredible quotes will show you how important it is to keep your word in every situation. If you want to maintain healthy friendships and relationships, it’s vital that you always honor your promises.
Once you make a commitment, it’s your responsibility to do everything that you promised. Sometimes it can be hard to keep secrets, uphold promises, and do the right thing.
At the end of the day, you never want to betray the people you care about. Share these promise quotes with your friends and family to show them that you will always keep your word.
Don’t forget to also read these finish strong quotes that will help you go the distance.
Promise quotes to help you maintain the integrity of your word
1. “Always prefer the plain direct word to the long, vague one. Don’t implement promises, but keep them.” – C. S. Lewis
2. “I feel keeping a promise to yourself is a direct reflection of the love you have for yourself. I used to make promises to myself and find them easy to break. Today, I love myself enough to not only make a promise to myself, but I love myself enough to keep that promise.” – Steve Maraboli
3. “The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.” – Robert Frost
4. “The man who promises everything is sure to fulfil nothing, and everyone who promises too much is in danger of using evil means in order to carry out his promises, and is already on the road to perdition.” – Carl Jung
5. “Promises are only as strong as the person who gives them.” – Stephen Richards
6. “An ounce of performance is worth pounds of promises.” – Mae West
7. “What glitters may not be gold; and even wolves may smile; and fools will be led by promises to their deaths.” – Lauren Oliver
8. “Broken vows are like broken mirrors. They leave those who held to them bleeding and staring at fractured images of themselves.” – Richard Paul Evans
9. “The best way to keep one’s word is not to give it.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
10. “A graceful refusal is better than a lengthy promise.” – Hazrat Ali Ibn Abu-Talib A.S
Promise quotes to remind you to always be honest and honorable
11. “Promises are the uniquely human way of ordering the future, making it predictable and reliable to the extent that this is humanly possible.” – Hannah Arendt
12. “The moment you make someone promise anything is the same moment you ask them to lie to you.” – Molly Ringwald
13. “Hypocrisy can afford to be magnificent in its promises, for never intending to go beyond promise, it costs nothing.” – Edmund Burke
14. “Promises are like crying babies in a theater, they should be carried out at once.” – Norman Vincent Peale
15. “Losers make promises they often break. Winners make commitments they always keep.” – Denis Waitley
16. “Thou ought to be nice, even to superstition, in keeping thy promises, and therefore equally cautious in making them.” – Thomas Fuller
17. “Political promises are much like marriage vows. They are made at the beginning of the relationship between candidate and voter, but are quickly forgotten.” – Dick Gregory
18. “It is not the oath that makes us believe the man, but the man the oath.” – Aeschylus
19. “It was not despair, but it seemed to her as if life were passing by, leaving its promises broken and unfulfilled. Yet there were other days when she listened, was led on and deceived by fresh promises which her youth had held out to her.” – Kate Chopin
20. “Promises were a lot like impressions. The second one didn’t count for much.” – Kristin Hannah
Promise quotes on how important it is to keep your word in every situation
21. “Promises and pie-crust are made to be broken.” – Jonathan Swift
22. “There was plenty of life left and if he had to he would use it all to get her back. The time had passed for making promises to her-all that was left for him was to act.” – Anna Godbersen
23. “Magic trick: to make people disappear, ask them to fulfill their promises.” – Mason Cooley
24. “I do not live on false promises. I cannot afford to live on bad advice.” – Robert Kiyosaki
25. “The best promises forever seem to be made by amnesiacs.” – Chris Gould
26. “Some people still make promises and keep those they make. When they do, they help make life around them more stably human.” – Lewis B. Smedes
27. “It is easy to make promises — it is hard work to keep them.” – Boris Johnson
28. “We promise according to our hopes, and perform according to our fears.” – François VI de la Rochefoucault
29. “Some people break promises for the pleasure of breaking them.” – William Hazlitt
30. “He was a man, he always performed his promises.” – Zebulon Pike
Promise quotes to help you maintain your commitments
31. “When a man takes an oath… he’s holding his own self in his own hands. Like water. And if he opens his fingers then — he needn’t hope to find himself again.” – Robert Bolt
32. “All promise outruns performance.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
33. “Not the maker of plans and promises, but rather the one who offers faithful service in small matters. This is the person who is most likely to achieve what is good and lasting.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
34. “Never take a solemn oath. People think you mean it.” – Norman Douglas
35. “Promise is most given when the least is said.” – George Chapman
36. “You have to be up-front from the very beginning about what your expectations of the other person are, and you can’t make any promises you don’t intend to keep.” – Jesse Williams
37. “You cannot live on other people’s promises, but if you promise others enough, you can live on your own.” – Mark Caine
38. “A promise made is a debt unpaid.” – Robert Service
39. “We must not promise what we ought not, lest we be called on to perform what we cannot.” – Abraham Lincoln
40. “The promises of yesterday are the taxes of today.” – William Lyon MacKenzie
Promise quotes to inspire you
41. “One must have a good memory to be able to keep the promises that one makes.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
42. “For every promise, there is a price to pay.” – Jim Rohn
43. “The promise given was a necessity of the past: the word broken is a necessity of the present.” – Niccolò Machiavelli
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Machiavelli quotes to give you an intellectual look at the themes of power, morality, and more.
44. “One promises much, to avoid giving little.” – Luc de Clapiers
45. “Oaths are the fossils of piety.” – George Santayana
46. “As a human being, the best eulogy I can reasonably hope for is ‘He made his promises sincerely and broke them regretfully.’” – Robert Brault
47. “Rarely promise, but, if lawful, constantly perform.” – William Penn
48. “Those who promise by the cart-load generally pay by the spadeful.” – James Lendall Basford
49. “It makes my heart sick when I remember all the good words and the broken promises.” – Chief Joseph
50. “Keep all your promises, don’t take what doesn’t belong to you, and always look after those less fortunate than yourself, and you’ll do well in the world.” – Rebecca Rupp
More promise quotes and sayings
51. “I don’t know where I’m going from here, but I promise it won’t be boring.” – David Bowie
52. “That’s how hearts get broken, you know. When you believe in promises.” – Kathleen Glasgow
53. “Never promise more than you can perform.” – Publilius Syrus
54. “Undertake not what you cannot perform, but be careful to keep your promise.” – George Washington
55. “I promise myself that I will enjoy every minute of the day that is given me to live.” – Nhat Hanh
56. “Let God’s promises shine on your problems.” – Corrie Ten Boom
57. “We are enslaved, not by the promise we have made, but by the desire to keep it.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
58. “We must come under the influence of the promise and live upon the promise.” – Charles Haddon Spurgeon
59. “Sometimes people don’t understand the promises they’re making when they make them.” – John Green
60. “Keep your promises and never be late in acting. Act right and do the right things at the right time.” – Israelmore Ayivor
Which of these promise quotes encourages you to honor your pledge?
There is nothing more valuable than the integrity of your word. Don’t make promises that you can’t keep. When you give your word to someone, always make sure that you have the ability to follow through. These promise quotes will inspire you to be honest and maintain your commitments.
Life is full of daily challenges, but it’s easy to do the right thing if you keep your promises. It’s important not to betray your friends, family, coworkers, and other loved ones. A broken promise can hurt someone’s feelings and damage your reputation.
This collection of incredible sayings serves as a great reminder to never break a promise. Share these promise quotes with everyone in your life to reassure them that you’re an honest, committed person who will always keep your word.
What are your favorite promise quotes and sayings about why you must always keep your word? Let us know in the comment section below.
April 9, 2020 7:30 AM EST