Life gets tough, but if you know how to stay strong these perseverance quotes will speak to your fighting spirit. Know someone who needs help staying strong? Share these quotes about perseverance with them today!
Perseverance is the relentless attempt to achieve success and accomplish your desired goals. You achieve not simply by trying, but by persevering. This is characterized by three (3) traits, which are keys to unlocking the door to success:
1. Never giving up,
2. Not being limited by time constraints; and
3. Staying rooted in the confidence that success is inevitable if you continue to make a concerted effort to attain it.
It’s easy to say, “I can do it”. But those who persevere don’t just say it – they do it and they live it. Below are 30 perseverance quotes to encourage you to not simply speak about it, but also to live everyday displaying your will to win.
If you need more motivation to ignite your fighting spirit, remember to also read our selection of inspirational never give up quotes. We also have a superb collection of powerful keep pushing quotes as well as these quotes about pain to remind you how strong you are. Be sure to read that as well.
Perseverance Never Quits
Instead, It Boldly Says, “I Can!”
1. “If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.” – Flavia Weedn
2. “Don’t be discouraged. It’s often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock.” – Author Unknown
3. “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” –Thomas Edison
4. “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one comes from a strong will, and the other from a strong won’t.” – Henry Ward Beecher
5. “Let me tell you the secret that has led to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity.” – Louis Pasteur
6. “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will.” – Vince Lombardi Jr.
7. “Keep on going, and the chances are that you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I never heard of anyone ever stumbling on something sitting down.” – Charles F. Kettering
8. “Some lean back. But those who lean forward are poised to cross the finish-line, first!” – T.F. Hodge, From Within I Rise: Spiritual Triumph Over Death and Conscious Encounters with “The Divine Presence”
9. “Though you may hear me holler, and you may see me cry– I’ll be dogged, sweet baby, if you gonna see me die.” – Langston Hughes
10. “Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan, ‘press on’ has solved, and always will solve, the problems of the human race.” – Calvin Coolidge
Also read these inspiring comeback quotes and sayings that will help you bounce back after a setback.
Perseverance quotes to inspire patience
Perseverance Is Best Friends with Patience
Remain calm through thick and thin; hold tightly to your beliefs, knowing time is NOT the enemy, but your closest ally.
11. “Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.” – John Quincy Adams
12. “Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.” – Walter Elliot
13. “The difference between the difficult and the impossible is that the impossible takes a little longer time.” – Lady Aberdeen
14. “Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.” – A.A. Milne, “Winnie-the-Pooh”
15. “I am a slow walker, but I never walk back.” – Abraham Lincoln
16. “It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.” – Albert Einstein
17. “The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground.” – Anonymous
18. “In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins- not through strength but by perseverance.” – H. Jackson Brown
19. “Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul.” – Douglas MacArthur
20. “How long should you try? UNTIL!” – Jim Rohn
Also check out these survival quotes that will motivate you to keep going.
Perseverance quotes to inspire you to achieve the impossible
A Fall Does Not Deter Perseverance
Failure does not demoralize it; instead, faith stimulates it.
21. “The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.” – Randy Pausch, “The Last Lecture”
22. “Sometimes you must cross a bridge and other times you need to burn it. But, always keep building one and never lose your faith in life.” – Dodinsky
23. “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” – Nelson Mandela
24. “Failure is often that early morning hour of darkness which precedes the dawning of the day of success.” – Leigh Mitchell Hodges
25. “A bend in the road is not the end of the road…Unless you fail to make the turn.” – Helen Keller
26. “You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.” – Margaret Thatcher
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of Margaret Thatcher quotes about strong will and leadership.
27. “Through perseverance many people win success out of what seemed destined to be certain failure.” – Benjamin Disraeli
28. “As I look back on my life, I realize that every time I thought I was being rejected from something good, I was actually being redirected to something better.” – Dr. Steve Maraboli
29. “If I had to select one quality, one personal characteristic that I regard as being most highly correlated with success, whatever the field, I would pick the trait of persistence. Determination. The will to endure to the end, to get knocked down seventy times and get up off the floor saying, ‘here comes number seventy-one!’” – Richard M. Devos
Remember to also read these overcoming dark quotes for moving past hard times.
Perseverance quotes about overcoming obstacles
30. “History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.” – B.C. Forbes
31. “Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.” – Thomas Carlyle
32. “Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.” – Pele
33. “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.” Maya Angelou
34. “Perseverance is the secret of all triumphs.” – Victor Hugo
35. “Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.” – Julie Andrews
36. “Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance.” – Samuel Johnson
37. “The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.” ― Confucius, Confucius: The Analects
38. “Just because you fail once doesn’t mean you’re gonna fail at everything.”
― Marilyn Monroe
39. “So, what does perseverance mean? It means that one possesses persistence, tenacity, determination, and staying power. This in turn means, when applied to a problem or issue that needs to be resolved, that the individual never gives up, never quits and never sees defeat until the problem, challenge, project, obstacle is resolved to a satisfactory level.” Byron Pulsifer
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of determination quotes to help you keep moving forward.
40. “Don’t give up in times of difficulty. Persevere on as there will be an end to these.” – Edward Dunedin
Quotes about perseverance to help you succeed
41. “When we see ourselves in a situation which must be endured and gone through, it is best to make up our minds to it, meet it with firmness, and accommodate everything to it in the best way practicable. This lessens the evil; while fretting and fuming only serves to increase your own torments.” – Thomas Jefferson
42. “To persevere in one’s duty and be silent, is the best answer to calumny.” – George Washington
If you’re enjoying these quotes, check out our George Washington quotes from America’s first president.
43. “Purity, patience and perseverance are the three essentials to success and above all love.” – Swami Vivekananda
44. “Continuous effort–not strength or intelligence–is the key to unlocking our potential.”- Winston Churchill
45. “The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man’s determination.”- Tommy Lasorda
46. “Energy and persistence conquer all things.”- Benjamin Franklin
47. “When the world says, “Give up,” Hope whispers, “Try it one more time.” ~Author Unknown
48. “Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.” ~Newt Gingrich
49. “People of mediocre ability sometimes achieve outstanding success because they don’t know when to quit. Most men succeed because they are determined to.” – George E. Allen
50. “In case of doubt, push on just a little further and then keep on pushing.” – General George S Patton, Jr.
Don’t forget to also read these finish strong quotes to help you go the distance.
Inspirational perseverance quotes that will remind you to never give up
51. “Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries.” ― James A. Michener
52. “By perseverance the snail reached the ark.” ― Charles Spurgeon
53. “It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives. It’s what we do consistently.” ― Anthony Robbins
54. “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”
― Dale Carnegie
55. “Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don’t have the strength.” ― Teddy Roosevelt
56. “Persistence. Perfection. Patience. Power. Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.” ― Criss Jami
57. “Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.” ― Mary Anne Radmacher
58. “Giving up is the only sure way to fail.” ― Gena Showalter
59. “Keep trying until you have no more chances left.” ― Aimee Carter
60. “He who can have patience can have what he will.” ― Benjamin Franklin
Perseverance quotes to make you strong
61. “… that’s how life should be, when one person loses heart, the other must have heart and courage enough for both.”― José Saramago
62. “Easily mistaken, it is not about a love for adversity, it is about knowing a strength and a faith so great that adversity, in all its adverse manifestations, hardly even exists.”― Criss Jami
63. “You can’t stop dreaming just because the night never seems to end.”―Curtis Tyrone Jones
64. “You can use the stumbling blocks to build your success.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
65. “The days without difficulty are the days you do not improve.”― Evan Winter
66. “If you know something will eventually come to an end, you can handle it.”― Karen Harrington
67. “The hugest pile of challenges and hardships will not hold back a needle of the clock.”― Roy A. Ngansop
68. “They couldn’t catch you if you didn’t stop running.”― Dennis Lehane
69. “You have to conquer every obstacle, before you can reach the top of the mountain.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
70. “Perseverance is the mother who snuggles her children when they are impatient. Keep calm, everything will be solved. Keep persisting, go ahead.”― Alan Maiccon
71. “Maybe everything comes out all right, if you keep on trying. Anyway, you have to keep on trying; nothing will come out right if you don’t.”― Laura Ingalls Wilder
72. “It can take a lifetime to build something worthwhile. Those who stick with it, build a legacy without regrets.”― Trevor Carss
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of legacy quotes that will inspire you to start making your mark on the world today.
73. “A difficult life spent in hard-work, perseverance, and courage will pave the way for a life of true greatness!”― Avijeet Das
74. “If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.”― Jeffrey R. Holland
75. “Don’t be ashamed by your mistakes, they only prove that you try hard and never give up.”― Riley Czarkowski
Perseverance quotes to keep you going
76. “What’s done is done. What’s gone is gone. One of life’s lessons is always moving on. It’s okay to look back to see how far you’ve come but keep moving forward.” – Roy T. Bennett
77. “Perseverance is a virtue that cannot be understated.” – Bob Riley
78. “Failure is a bend in the road, not the end of the road. Learn from failure and keep moving forward.” – Roy T. Bennett
79. “When the going gets tough, put one foot in front of the other and just keep going. Don’t give up.”― Roy T. Bennett
80. “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” – Martin Luther King Jr
81. “If you really want to eat, keep climbing. The fruits are on the top of the tree. Stretch your hands and keep stretching them. Success is on the top, keep going.”― Israelmore Ayivor
82. “Press forward. Do not stop, do not linger in your journey, but strive for the mark set before you.” – George Whitefield
83. “A bad day doesn’t cancel out a good life. Keep going.”― Richie Norton
84. “Everything that I’ve ever been able to accomplish in skating and in life has come out of adversity and perseverance.” – Scott Hamilton
85. “Today if anything is trying to hold you back, give no attention to it. Get your hopes up, get your faith up, look up, and get ready to rise up.”― Germany Kent
Perseverance quotes to remind you of your strength
86. “Believe in yourself and all that you are, know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle.” – Christian D Larson
87. “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.” –Confucius
88. “Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance, you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein
89. “We will either find a way or make one.” – Hannibal
90. Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. – Thomas A. Edison
91. “The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places.” – Unknown
92. “Just remember, you can do anything you set your mind to, but it takes action, perseverance, and facing your fears.” – Gillian Anderson
93. “Big shots are only little shots who keep shooting.” – Christopher Morley
94. “Keep the faith, don’t lose your perseverance and always trust your gut extinct.” – Paula Abdul
95. “Champions keep playing until they get it right.” – Billie Jean King
Perseverance quotes to inspire and make you strong
96. “Let me tell your something. I’m from Chicago. I don’t break.”― Barack Obama
97. “Dream after dream comes true—or rather is made true by persevering effort.”― L.M. Montgomery
98. “A large oak tree is just a little nut that refused to give up.”― David McGee
99. “Every obstacle is a hill, every hill is a training, every training makes you stronger.”― Maxime Lagacé
100. “Do you want to die, or do you want to die trying? Give up or give it a shot.”― Nick Trout
101. “Every storm runs out of rain.”― Maya Angelou
102. “To persevere with the will to understand in the face of obstacles is the heroism of consciousness.”― Nathaniel Branden
103. “Be persevering at the bottom, humble at the top.”― Maxime Lagacé
104. “Never give up just because you failed initially.”― Sunday Adelaja
105. “Seasons come and go. Your main goal should remain the same.” ― Cristina Imre
More perseverance quotes and sayings
106. “Success belongs to those who refuse to be defeated by failure!”– Dr T.P.Chia
107. “Success doesn’t happen overnight. Keep an eye on the prize and don’t look back.” – Erin Andrews
108. “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.” – Muhammad Ali
109. “How many a man has thrown up his hands at a time when a little more effort, a little more patience would have achieved success?”– Elbert Hubbard
110. “Your most valuable asset can be your willingness to persist longer than anyone else.” – Brian Tracy
111. “Even a snail will eventually reach its destination.” – Gail Tsukiyama
112. “Constant effort and frequent mistakes are the stepping stones to genius.” – Elbert Hubbard
113. “In spite of everything I shall rise again: I will take up my pencil, which I have forsaken in my great discouragement, and I will go on with my drawing.” – Vincent van Gogh
114. “Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there.” – Josh Billings
115. “We worked from early morning until dark in sun, grey weather or in rain.” – Lawren Harris
What do you think about these perseverance quotes?
Perseverance is your willpower in action – an internal driving force pushing you to get things done despite a lack of resources, countless obstacles, and time constraints.
It is built on an inner strength that leans on desire, self-confidence, courage, diligence, and faith to stay the course. You are encouraged to live a life that is rooted in perseverance. Keep running the race believing that the prize is yours – patiently waiting for you to claim it.
Did you enjoy these perseverance quotes and sayings? What other quotes about perseverance and not giving up would you add to the list? Tell us in the comment section below.