It doesn’t have to be luxurious, because these vacation quotes will remind you that taking time for yourself is all that matters.
Read our awesome quotes about going on vacation to inspire you to treat yourself and get away!
A vacation is an opportunity to recharge and restore your body and mind.
Vacations give us a change of scenery, provide us with adventure, and help us relieve stress and boredom.
Just like eating well and getting exercise, vacations are necessary for a well-balanced and healthy life.
Some people might consider them luxury but they do matter if you want to lead a happier and more fulfilling life.
With all the ups and downs in life, we all need a vacation once in a while.
You need to take a break from work to relax, refresh and recharge.
To enjoy time with your loved ones and see the world.
To inspire your travel spirit, below is our collection of beautiful, inspirational, and humorous vacation quotes, vacation sayings, and vacation proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Also, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily wisdom.
See the rest of our quote database for even more inspirational ideas and thoughts.
Vacation quotes to inspire your travel spirit
1. “An upcoming vacation gives us something to eagerly anticipate.” – Jaime Kurtz
You will also enjoy our article on happy holidays quotes.
2. “On vacation, I totally unplug. I don’t bring a laptop with me.” – Will Wright
3. “Read a lot when you’re on vacation, but nothing that has to do with your business.” – H. Jackson Brown, Jr
4. “A vacation spot out of season always has a very special magic.” – Max von Sydow
5. “Travel brings power and love back into your life.”– Rumi
6. “No man needs a vacation so much as the man who has just had one.” – Elbert Hubbard
7. “After a while, just staying alive becomes a full-time job. No wonder we need a vacation.” ― Michael Zadoorian
8. “Life’s short. Eat dessert first, work less and vacation MORE!!” ― Lea Mishell
9. “Neglecting vacation is neglecting success because every success needs an accumulated positive energy!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
10. “No matter what happens, travel gives you a story to tell.” – Jewish Proverb
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of travel quotes to inspire exploration and learning from others.
Vacation quotes to help make your dream trip happen
11. “Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for. Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not withdraw from us.” ― Maya Angelou
12. “The vacation we often need is freedom from our own mind.” –Jack Adam Weber
13. “A vacation helps to relieve stress and boredom, gives us a change of scenery, provides us with adventure, and helps to bring us closer to the people in our lives.” – E. S. Woods
14. “When people went on vacation, they shed their home skins, thought they could be a new person.” ― Aimee Friedman
15. “The world is a book, and those who don’t travel only read one page.”– Augustine of Hippo
16. “Travelling unveils new dimensions of this world not known to the naked eye.” ― Wayne Chirisa
17. “Take a vacation from your stressful thoughts by changing your thoughts.” ― Debasish Mridha
18. “No one wants to die with vacation time on the books.” ― Andrea Goeglein
19. “Vacation is that time when you wish you had something to do while doing nothing.” –Frank Tyger
20. “Isn’t it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?” – Zig Ziglar
Also read these inspirational outdoor quotes that will make you plan your next trip.
Vacation quotes to inspire you to take a break
21. “Take those vacations and do not take your laptop or iphone or blackberry – you are on vacation and that means having a real break and not just going to a different location and doing much of the same thing.” – Byron Pulsifer
22. “My best vacation is somewhere I could hide, somewhere warm and not a lot of people around.” – Derek Jeter
23. “A vacation is having nothing to do and all day to do it in.” – Robert Orben
24. “In matters of healing the body or the mind, vacation is a true genius!”
― Mehmet Murat ildan
25. “The journey itself is my home.”– Matsuo Basho
26. “People should look for accessible vacation destinations the same way they look for any other vacation destination – based on their own personal tastes and preferences.” – Candy B Harrington
27. “Don’t wait for a vacation to enjoy life. Start to enjoy it now, today, wherever you are.” ― Debasish Mridha
28. “A wise man travels to discover himself.” –James Russell Lowell
29. “We need to develop a ‘vacation attitude’ every day by being focused on what we need to accomplish by the end of each day.” – Catherine Pulsifer
30. “When you go on vacation with people, you learn a lot about them.” –Sarah Mlynowski
Vacation quotes to awaken your exploratory instincts
31. “One of the biggest challenges about going on vacation is planning the trip.” – Paul Brodie
32. “A good vacation is over when you begin to yearn for your work.” – Morris Fishbein
33. “Here’s to a vacation of no regrets!” ― Joan Rylen
34. “Reaching the top requires taking a good break every time you need it! On the way up, you must never hesitate to stop for a while!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
35. “When all else fails, take a vacation.” ― Betty Williams
36. “All that is gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.”– J.R.R. Tolkien
37. “A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you’ve been taking.”- Earl Wilson
38. “The average vacation is one-tenth playing—nine-tenths paying.” –Arnold Glasow
39. “Enjoy the vacation without going; enjoy the conversation without talking.” ― Debasish Mridha
40. “Extend your vacation whenever possible.” ― A.D. Posey
Vacation quotes to inspire you to take some time off
41. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.”– Marcel Proust
42. Every man who possibly can should force himself to a holiday of a full month in a year, whether he feels like taking it or not. – William James
43. “Happiness consists of living each day as if it were the first day of your honeymoon and the last day of your vacation.” – Leo Tolstoy
44. “Vacations mean a change of pace, a gentleness with ourselves, a time of rest and renewal, and a time to stretch ourselves and encounter new people, new lands, new ways, and new options.” – Anne Wilson Schaef
45. “The only time that love takes a holiday is when we go on vacation together.” ― Anthony T.Hincks
46. “Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.”– Seneca
47. “My favorite place to vacation is anyplace by the ocean.” – Nina Arianda
48. “Don’t feel guilty about vacationing. What are you truly living and working for anyways? Death is all too real.” ― Richie Norton
49. “The paradox of relaxation is the renewal of mind; rekindle of spirit and revitalize of strength.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
50. “What shall you do all your vacation?’, asked Amy. “I shall lie abed and do nothing”, replied Meg.” ― Louisa May Alcott
Vacation quotes for when you need a break
51. “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” ― Michael Palin
52. “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it is lethal” ― Paulo Coelho
53. “If I’m going on vacation, I just work ahead.” – Mort Walker
54. “Travelling in the company of those we love is home in motion” – Leigh Hunt
55. “As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was about to happen.” – A. A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
56. “To travel is to live.” – Hans Christian Anderson
57. “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
58. “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru
59. “People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things.” ― Edmund Hillary
60. “Travelling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
61. “People don’t take trips; trips take people.” – John Steinbeck
62. “Taking a vacation can actually increase the likelihood of getting a raise or a promotion.” – Shawn Achor
63. “Only the traveling is good which reveals to me the value of home and enables me to enjoy it better.” – Henry David Thoreau
64. “When in doubt, go on vacation!” – Unknown
65. “I would like to spend my whole life traveling, if I could borrow another life to spend at home.” – William Hazlitt
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of home quotes that will make you appreciate where you lay your head.
Vacation quotes to inspire your next trip
66. “The gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is a departure into unknown lands.” —Sir Richard Burton
67. “Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.” – Anita Desai
68. “Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
69. “We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfilment.” — Hilaire Belloc
70. “A travel adventure has no substitute. It is the ultimate experience, your one big opportunity for flair.” —Rosalind Massow
71. “If we were meant to stay in one place, we’d have roots instead of feet.” – Rachel Wolchin
72. “To get away from one’s working environment is, in a sense, to get away from one’s self; and this is often the chief advantage of travel and change.” –Charles Horton Cooley
73. “Jobs fill your pocket, but adventures fill your soul.” – Jamie Lyn Beatty Thi
74. “Life is meant for good friends and great adventures.” – Anonymous
75. “Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it?” – Caroline Myss
Vacation quotes to elevate your mind
76. “Investment in travel is an investment in yourself.” —Matthew Karsten
77. “Take only memories, leave only footprints.” – Chief Seattle
78. “If you have lost your clarity and purpose, a vacation is a great way to find it again.” —David Fuller
79. “For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
80. “A vacation is necessary.” –Unknown
81. “I travel because it makes me realize how much I haven’t seen, how much I’m not going to see, and how much I still need to see.” – Carew Papritz
82. “A one day holiday can at times be better than a one-week vacation if you totally unplug for that one day!” ―Catherine Pulsifer
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of relaxing weekend quotes to power your workweek.
83. “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller
84. “Once a year, go somewhere you have never been before.” –Dalai Lama
85. “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” ― Jack Kerouac
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of The Office quotes from the iconic hit show.
Beautiful vacation quotes to inspire you
86. “I love places that make you realize how tiny you and your problems are.” — Anonymous
87. “As you grow older, you learn a few things. One of them is to actually take the time you’ve allotted for vacation.” – John Battelle
88. “It isn’t how much time you spend somewhere that makes it memorable: it’s how you spend the time.” — David Brenner
89. “Take vacations, and go as many places as you can. You can always make money, but you can’t always make memories.” – Unknown
90. “Adventure is worthwhile.” — Aesop
91. “Few vacations are as gratifying as those devoted to personal growth.” – Pat Koch Thaler
92. “The time to relax is when you don’t have time for it.” — Sydney J. Harris
93. “Vacations are necessities, not luxuries.” – Linda Bloom
94. “Travel not to find yourself but to remember who you’ve been all along.” — Anonymous
95. “He who returns from a journey is not the same as he who left.” – Chinese Proverb
More vacation quotes and sayings
96. “After all, the best part of a holiday is perhaps not so much to be resting yourself, as to see all the other fellows busy working.” – Kenneth Grahame
97. “There can’t possibly be anything more beautiful than Seaside Beach at sunset.” – Bryn McCarren
98. “If you live where you want to go on vacation, you will always be on vacation.” – Matt Fox
99. “Resurrection, rebirth, reincarnation, resprout, revive! All these words can be summarised only in one word: Vacation!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
100. “What paradise and vacation have in common is that you have to pay for both, and the coin is your previous life.” – Joseph Brodsky
101. “Every travel is a blessed adventure.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
102. “A vacation is three times more work without the payment.” – Debasish Mridha
103. “Vacation time is something we all accrue, but only the wisest of us recognize its importance.” – Andrea Goeglein
104. “After all, the function of a vacation is regenerative, not luxurious. It’s to restore our equipment so that we can live our ordinary lives better.” – Malcolm Bradbury
105. “In order for a holiday to be a great holiday, it must somehow involve water-related activity, because water is a magician who relaxes our soul and body!” – Mehmet Murat ildan
Vacation quotes to feed your wanderlust
106. Letting the happy accident happen is what a lot of vacation itineraries miss, I think, and I’m always trying to push people to allow those things to happen rather than stick to some rigid itinerary.”― Anthony Bourdain
107. “I think people need hope when times are tough. I think they also need escape and adventure and fantasy. Books are like cheap mini vacations.” ― Michelle M. Pillow
108. “Seven a.m. on the first day of summer vacation was, to her mind, a dangerous time to be awake. Even God had to be sleeping in.” ― Victoria Kahler
109. “Today was about chasing sun-rays, beach waves, & sunsets. All things beautiful that give you peace are worth chasing. Everything else isn’t.” ― April Mae Monterrosa
110. “In every voyage, be fully present.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
111. “To reach the goals of your life, you need discipline, you need luck and you need something as important as these two: Vacations!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
112. “A little piece of everywhere I go becomes a big part of everything I do.” ― Richie Norton
113. “How you feel about home after holiday says a lot about home.” ― Joyce Rachelle
114. “If you live where you want to go on vacation, you will always be on vacation.” ― Matt Fox
115. “Find the exotic where you are.” ― Adrienne Posey
Vacation Quotes To Relax From The Norm
116. “I go on vacation strictly to relax – to kick back with a good book and do nothing else but read, sleep and eat.” ― Morgan Freeman
117. “I never want to travel while I’m on vacation anymore. The only vacations I want to take now are ones where I just go and sit somewhere.” ― Hamilton Leithauser
118. “The entire art system urgently needs a vacation.” ― Isa Genzken
119. “The difference nowadays is that when I go on vacation I work some of the time rather than all of the time.” ― Nick Saban
120. “My idea of a vacation is to rest quietly in the shade of a blond.” ― Dick Powell
121. “When I go on vacation I just like to do nothing – just hang out at the beach, go eat the best restaurants, and do nothing.” ― Georges St-Pierre
122. “Laughter is therapy-an instant vacation.” ― Bob Hope
123. “There’s something wonderful about entertaining people on vacation. Everyone is there to have a good time.” ― Jennifer Hudson
124. “Being home is like a vacation to me, so I’m trying to get my home together.” ― Zoe Kravitz
125. “I take a lot of vacation because I get a lot of vacation.” ― Jim Rome
Vacation Quotes To Take a Break from Normality
126. “Never take money in lieu of vacation time. Money will never give you what taking a break will give you.” — Catherine Pulsifer
127. “Laughter is an instant vacation.” — Milton Berle
128. “Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you should set up a life you don’t need to escape from.” — Seth Godin
129. “The purpose of a vacation is to have the time to rest. But many of us, even when we go on vacation, don’t know how to rest. We may even come back more tired than before we left.” — Nhat Hanh
130. “Moderation in exercise, eating and amusement is the best guarantee of a beneficial vacation.” — Ollie Reeves
131. “When I was on a two-week vacation I noticed something. The vacation lasted a good long time then suddenly it was over. Life is like that also.” — Fr. Cedric Pisegna CP
132. “Think about it; how do you feel when you are planning a vacation? You feel excited and happy. Your stress level is diminished, and this also affects your work in a positive way.” — John Morgan
133. “Retirement is like a long vacation in Las Vegas. The goal is to enjoy it the fullest, but not so fully that you run out of money.” — Jonathan Clements
134. “A one day holiday can at times be better than a one week vacation if you totally unplug for that one day!” — Catherine Pulsifer
135. “Trips and vacations are so much more. These experiences show you what’s possible and challenge you to examine the paths you’ll take in the future.” — Blake Mycoskie
Which of these vacation quotes was your favorite?
Vacations are an opportunity to take a break from work, travel the world and enjoy time with our loved ones.
We all need a vacation once in a while.
They allow us to relax, refresh, and recharge so we can live our best lives.
Hopefully, the above quotes have inspired you to make yourself a priority and take some time off.
What were your favorite vacation quotes on this list?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Tell us in the comment section below. We would love to hear all about it.
December 14, 2022 5:00 AM EST