It takes a person who is confident and secure to survive the stillness, and these silence quotes will make you crave the quiet.
We live in a noise-filled world where every second of the day is scheduled with an activity to be done. We face a lot of responsibilities in our day-to-day lives that it has become a challenge to find time for a little peace and quiet.
But despite the amounts of conversation and distractions present in our lives, it’s important to foster silence and stillness in your everyday life.
Being in silence each day has many advantages. It calms your mind and allows you to feel more at peace and less stressed out. It’s also a way to develop your intuition and gut feeling, understand yourself better, and improve your awareness.
When you’re in the state of silence, you’re able to tap into your creativity and use your brain more often. Besides, it helps you lower your level of pressure, rid of all negative thoughts and energy, and develop better patience in dealing with your fast-moving surroundings.
Finding time to be in silence and stillness is extremely important in today’s fast-moving world. And the good news is you don’t have to spend many hours practicing it each day. Just a few minutes a day will do.
To encourage you to embrace this much needed downtime, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and powerful silence quotes, silence sayings, and silence proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Silence quotes celebrating much needed downtime
1. “Silence is a true friend who never betrays.” – Confucius
2. “Non-judgment quiets the internal dialogue, and this opens once again the doorway to creativity.” ― Deepak Chopra
3. “The human heart has hidden treasures, In secret kept, in silence sealed; The thoughts, the hopes, the dreams, the pleasures, Whose charms were broken if revealed.” – Charlotte Bronte
4. “I’ve begun to realize that you can listen to silence and learn from it. It has a quality and a dimension all its own.” ― Chaim Potok
5. “The most significant conversations of our lives occur in silence.” ― Simon Van Booy
6. “Stop your whining. If you are frightened, be silent. Whining is for prey. It attracts predators. And you are not prey.” ― Robin Hobb
7. “Surely silence can sometimes be the most eloquent reply.” ― Ali Ibn Abi Talib AS
8. “Because sometimes silence speaks much louder than words possibly could.” ― Elizabeth Eulberg
9. “Sometimes you need to sit lonely on the floor in a quiet room in order to hear your own voice and not let it drown in the noise of others.” ― Charlotte Eriksson
Silence quotes celebrating peace and quiet
10. “The quieter you become the more you are able to hear.” – Rumi
11. “True silence is the rest of the mind, and is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, nourishment and refreshment.” – William Penn
12. “The deepest feeling always shows itself in silence.” ― Marianne Moore
13. “I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.” – Khalil Gibran
14. “Saying nothing sometimes says the most.” – Emily Dickinson
15. “I turn off the radio, listen to the quiet. Which has its own, rich sound. Which I knew, but had forgotten. And it is good to remember.” ― Elizabeth Berg
16. “A fool is known by his speech; and a wise man by silence.” – Pythagoras
17. “Silence is pure and holy. It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking.” ― Nicholas Sparks
18. “Silence is the sleep that nourishes wisdom.” – Francis Bacon
19. “I have heard the languages of apocalypse, and now I shall embrace the silence.” ― Neil Gaiman
20. “Meditation is silence, energising and fulfilling. Silent is the eloquent expression of the inexpressible.” ― Sri Chinmoy
Silence quotes that will make you crave the quiet
21. “Never miss a good chance to shut up.” ― Will Rogers
22. “We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature – trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence… We need silence to be able to touch souls.” – Mother Teresa
23. “The true genius shudders at incompleteness — imperfection — and usually prefers silence to saying the something which is not everything that should be said.” ― Edgar Allan Poe
24. “I think 99 times and find nothing. I stop thinking, swim in silence, and the truth comes to me.” – Albert Einstein
25. “But there is greater comfort in the substance of silence than in the answer to a question.” ― Thomas Merton
26. “Silence is the ultimate weapon of power.” ― Charles de Gaulle
27. “Everything that’s created comes out of silence. Your thoughts emerge from the nothingness of silence. Your words come out of this void. Your very essence emerged from emptiness. All creativity requires some stillness.” – Wayne Dyer
28. “In Silence there is eloquence. Stop weaving and see how the pattern improves.” ― Rumi
29. “When a question has no correct answer, there is only one honest response. The gray area between yes and no. Silence.” ― Dan Brown
30. “Never say anything that doesn’t improve on silence.” ― Richard Yates
Silence quotes to help you to find time for a little peace and stillness
31. “He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.” ― Elbert Hubbard
32. “Silence is one of the great arts of conversation.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
33. “What keeps my heart awake is colorful silence.” ― Claude Monet
34. “Much talking is the cause of danger. Silence is the means of avoiding misfortune. The talkative parrot is shut up in a cage. Other birds, without speech, fly freely about.” – Saskya Pandita
35. “Time and silence are the most luxurious things today.” – Tom Ford
36. “When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.” ― Ansel Adams
37. “Sometimes you don’t have to say anything. Silence speaks it all.” – Disha Patani
38. “If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet…maybe we could understand something.” ― Federico Fellini
39. “Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ― William S. Burroughs
40. “When words don’t come easy, I make do with silence and find something in nothing.” ― Strider Marcus Jones
Silence quotes to remind you of the beauty in complete quiet
41. “Silence at the proper season is wisdom, and better than any speech.” – Plutarch
42. “I have always loved the desert. One sits down on a desert sand dune, sees nothing, hears nothing. Yet through the silence something throbs, and gleams…” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
43. “Silence is a source of Great Strength.” ― Lao Tzu
44. “If we can only speak to slander our betters, let us hold our tongues.” ― Anne Brontë
45. “If you spend enough time with yourself in silence, you’ll be surprised what goes through your head.” – Sandra Bullock
46. “In order to see birds it is necessary to become a part of the silence.” ― Robert Lynd
47. “It is well when in difficulties, to say never a word, neither black nor white. Speech is silver but silence is golden.” ― Muriel Spark
48. “Your silence will not protect you.” – Audre Lorde
49. “If I could I would always work in silence and obscurity, and let my efforts be known by their results.” – Charlotte Bronte
50. “Choose silence of all virtues, for by it you hear other men’s imperfections, and conceal your own.” – George Bernard Shaw
See more quotes about silence.
Thought-provoking silence quotes
51. “Within us is the soul of the whole, the wise silence, the universal beauty, the eternal One.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
52. “Silence is the perfectest herald of joy. I were but little happy if I could say how much.” – William Shakespeare
53. “Silence speaks when words can’t.” – Unknown
54. “Work hard in silence, let your success make the noise.” – Frank Ocean
55. “Keep silence for the most part, and speak only when you must, and then briefly.” – Epictetus
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Epictetus quotes that will make you think.
56. “Through the portals of silence, the healing sun of wisdom and peace will shine upon you.” – Paramahansa Yogananda
57. “Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence.” – Leonardo da Vinci
58. “Only silence perfects silence.” – A.R. Ammons
59. “I often regret that I have spoken; never that I have been silent.” – Publilius Syrus
60. “The best cure for the body is a quiet mind.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
More silence quotes and sayings
61. When truth is replaced by silence, the silence is a lie. – Yevgeny Yevtushenko
62. “It is not easy to keep silent when silence is a lie.” – Victor Hugo
63. “Be silent or let thy words be worth more than silence.” – Pythagoras
64. “Silence is golden when you can’t think of a good answer.” – Muhammad Ali
65. “Silence can often be more disturbing than noise, it reveals the complicated mechanism of our thoughts.” – Jose Rodrigues Migueis
66. “Silence is the mother of truth.” – Disraeli
67. “Noise brings confusion. Silence brings clarity.” – Maxime Lagacé
68. “Silence doesn’t mean we have run out of things to say, only that we are trying not to say them.” – Kwame Alexander
69. “Working hard can give you meaning. Silence can give you peace.” – Maxime Lagacé
70. “Silence is a beautiful healing therapy – allowing your soul to be at peace with your thoughts.” – Avijeet Das
Which of these silence quotes was your favorite?
In this noise-filled world, it’s important to give yourself a rest of silence every single day. It plays a big role in making you emotionally stable so you can deal with challenges and make better decisions.
There is something comforting about the stillness, and we should all embrace it. Hopefully, these silence quotes have reminded you of the beauty in complete quiet.
Which of these silence quotes resonated with you best? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Feel free to share with us in the comment section below.