These cigar quotes from cigar aficionados will certainly try to help you understand the allure of smoking cigars.
We have all seen a scene in a movie where a new father passes cigars around to celebrate, or an old-school gumshoe smokes a cigar while working a case.
Cigars seem to have this old-fashioned vibe attached to them, will everyone from Winston Churchill and Mark Twain praising the tobacco product. However, even modern stars like Demi Moore sing their praises.
So, what is the point of smoking a cigar? It comes down to relaxation, celebration, and taste. Similar to cigarettes, cigars also contain nicotine, which is a chemical relaxant. The difference though is that the average cigar contains between 100 to 200mg of nicotine.
In contrast, the average cigarette only contains about 10mg. This means you would need to smoke 10 to 20 cigarettes to get the same amount of relaxant as one cigar.
It isn’t just about the chemical form of relaxant for cigar smokers. Keep reading through these cigar quotes to find out how the act of smoking a cigar helps that relax.
Don’t forget to also check out these weed quotes to lift your stoner spirits.
Cigar quotes from famous authors and poets
1. “I never smoke to excess—that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time.” — Mark Twain
2. “Sometimes a cigar is just a smoke and a story’s just a story.” — Stephen King
3. “A good Havana is one of the best pleasures I know.” — Somerset Maugham
4. “A cigar is a sort of thing, not exactly a pleasure, but the crown and outward sign of pleasure.” — Tolstoy
5. “Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man’s enjoyment of his cigar.” — Mark Twain
6. “When all else fails…try smoking a good cigar and have a stiff drink.” — Timothy Pina
7. “Cigars are too expensive, to smoke them for any reason other than enjoyment.” — Jonah Goldberg
8. “When a man is smoking a cigar, wearing a hat, he has an advantage; it is harder to find out how he feels.” — Saul Bellow
9. “The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar.” — Evelyn Waugh
10. “The cigar smoker, like the perfect lover or bagpipe player, is a calm man, slow and sure of his wind.” — Marc Alyn
Cigar quotes from famous people
11. “Some people meditate; I smoke cigars.” — Ron Perlman
12. “A good Cuban cigar closes the doors to the vulgarities of the world.” — Franz Liszt
13. “The cigar must match the shape of the smoker. Round-faced people should avoid long, thin cigars and vice-versa.” — Kees Van Dongen
14. “The only way to break a bad habit was to replace it with a better habit.” — Jack Nicholson, explaining why he switched from cigarettes to cigars.
15. “Fresh air makes me throw up. I can’t handle it. I’d rather be around three cigars blowing in my face all night.” — Frank Sinatra
16. “Why pay $100 on a therapy session when you can spend $25 on a cigar? Whatever it is will come back; so what, smoke another one.” — Raul Julia
17. “I smoke ten to fifteen cigars a day. At my age, I have to hold on to something.” — George Burns
18. “Only fine cigars are worth smoking and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing.” — Joan Collins
19. “If I had taken my doctor’s advice and quit smoking when he advised me to, I wouldn’t have lived to go to his funeral.” — George Burns
20. “Cigars served me for precisely fifty years as protection and a weapon in the combat of life… I owe to the cigar a great intensification of my capacity to work and a facilitation of my self-control.” — Sigmund Freud
Funny cigar quotes mostly comparing them to women and alcohol
21. “Given the choice between a woman and a cigar, I will always choose the cigar.” — Groucho Marx
22. “A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.” — Kipling
23. “A Havana Cigar is to the art of smoking what a great wine is to the art of drinking.” — Alan Senderens
24. “Cigars—they’re not just for breakfast anymore!” — Unknown
25. “If your wife doesn’t like the aroma of your cigar, change your wife.” — Zino Davidoff
26. “Asthma doesn’t seem to bother me anymore unless I’m around cigars or dogs. The thing that would bother me most would be a dog smoking a cigar.” — Steve Allen
27. “A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores.” — Klinger in a M*A*S*H TV Episode
28. “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman—or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” — George Burns
29. “There’s something about smoking a cigar that feels like a celebration. It’s like a fine wine. There’s a quality, a workmanship, a passion that goes into the smoking of a fine cigar.” — Demi Moore
30. “I neither coughed nor felt sick. Instead, a sensation of wellbeing filled me, and I became slightly wired, not the reaction you get from alcohol, but sharper and calmer.” — BBC reporter John Simpson, experiencing a cigar for the first time, Sunday Telegraph, July 1999
Cigar quotes from Winstone Churchill, politicians, and kings
31. “If you cannot send money, send tobacco.” — George Washington
32. “Gentlemen, you may smoke.” — King Edward VII of England (ending Queen Victoria’s long smoking ban in court)
33. “Cheap cigars come in handy; they stifle the odor of cheap politicians.” — Ulysses S. Grant
34. “I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form.” — Winston Churchill
35. “Smoking cigars is like falling in love. First, you are attracted by its shape; you stay for its flavor, and you must always remember never, never to let the flame go out!” — Winston Churchill
36. “There is nothing more agreeable than having a place where one can throw on the floor as many cigar butts as one pleases without the subconscious fear of a maid who is waiting like a sentinel to place an ashtray where the ashes are going to fall.” — Fidel Castro
37. “I must point out that my rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after, and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.” — Winston Churchill
Cigar quotes about heaven and God and souls
38. “If heaven has no cigars, I shall not go there.” — Mark Twain
39. “I intend to smoke a good cigar to the glory of God.” — Charles Spurgeon
40. “In heaven, tobacco will be good for you.” — Unknown
41. “Everyone should believe in something. I believe I’ll have another cigar.” — Unknown
42. “Heaven is a large Havana cigar with black coffee for breakfast.” — Rev Thaddeus Birchard
43. “A good cigar is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” — Unknown
44. “I smoke a cigar to celebrate the joy that is life.” — Unknown
45. “By the cigars they smoke, and the composers they love, ye shall know the texture of men’s souls.” — John Galsworthy
Hilarious Cigar Quotes To Make You Laugh
46. “Tobacco is the plant that converts thoughts into dreams.” – Victor Hugo
47. “It has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep, and never to refrain when awake.” – Mark Twain
48. “There’s a ritual about smoking a cigar that slows my clock down.” – Matthew McConaughey
49. “Cigar smoking by its very nature is much more reflective than interactive.” – Michael Douglas
50. “Cigars solicit conversation. You see someone smoking a cigar and you feel instantly closer to them.” – Michael Stahan
51. “Tobacco is the passion of honest men and he who lives without tobacco is not worthy of living.” – Moliere
52. “Cigars force me to slow down and live in the present.” – Muata Onyemachi
53. “My favorite cigar is a free cigar.” – Nelson Monteiro
54. “Personally, I believe a rocking hammock, a good cigar, and a tall gin-and-tonic is the way to save the planet.” – P. J. O’Rourke
55. “I’ll smoke anything anybody gives me.” – Peter Falk
Cigar Quotes To Celebrate a Good Smoke
56. “The cigar is the perfect complement to an elegant lifestyle.” — George Sand
57. “There are two things worth living for, one is a good cigar, the other is a better one.” — Raul Julia
58. “I am sure there are many things better than a good cigar, but right now, I can’t think of what they might be.” — Richard Carleton
59. “A cigar is as good as the memories that you have when you smoke it.” — Raul Julia
60. “Any cigar smoker is a friend, because I know how he feels.” — Alfred de Musset
61. “A good smoker, like a good lover, always takes his time with a cigar.” — Guillermo Cabrera Infante
62. “Life’s too short to drink bad wine or smoke poor cigars.” — Don Johnson
63. “I think cigars are just a tremendous addition to the enjoyment of life.” — Rush Limbaugh
64. “If smoking cigars is not permitted in heaven, I won’t go.” — Mark Twain
65. “My boy! Smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life, and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you.” — Sigmund Freud
Which of these Cigar quotes is your favorite?
Smoking a cigarette is quick—it takes maybe 10 minutes at most. However, enjoying a cigar can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on the size. Imagine someone leaving you alone for that long!
If you think back to all the old movies or books where people smoked a cigar, you can probably picture them with their robe on and their feet up. Chances are they also had a drink of something in their other hand. These people clearly smoke cigars as an escape from the stress of their day.
Cigars are also often used when our favorite movie or novel characters have something to celebrate. New fathers used to smoke cigars in the waiting rooms after their children were born. People still mark impressive work milestones or career advances with a celebratory cigar.
I wouldn’t know first hand, but apparently, they also taste pretty good. It is said they have a subtly to them, much like coffee or spirits. They just are more flavorful than cigarettes. However, they do contain nicotine and tobacco and are not healthy by any means (even though George Burns disagreed).
Which of these Cigar quotes and sayings is your favorite? Have you smoked a cigar before? Let us know what all the hype is about in the comment section below!
May 10, 2022 6:00 AM EST