Our best friends can be some of the most influential people in our lives, and these quotes about best friends are sure to put a smile on your face.
In the comments below, tell us which quote you liked the most.
Can you imagine life without your best friend?
These are the people who have been with us through our worst, yet still find us charming, adorable, and fun to be with.
They have lifted our spirits when we’re feeling down, and have held their breaths in our success.
Looking for beautiful, witty – even funny – quotes about best friends?
Here are 97 of them to celebrate these amazing people in our lives.
Best Friends Forever Quotes
1. “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.’” — C.S. Lewis
2. “My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me.” — Henry Ford
3. “Of all possessions, a friend is the most precious.” — Herodotus
4. “Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.” — Helen Keller
5. “There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship.” — Thomas Aquinas
6. “Remember that the most valuable antiques are dear old friends.” — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
7. “The greatest gift of life is friendship, and I have received it.” — Hubert H. Humphrey
8. “There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.” ― Linda Grayson
9. “The best mirror is an old friend.” ― George Herbert
10. “Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit.” ― Aristotle
11. “It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends.”— Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
12. “There is nothing like puking with somebody to make you into old friends.” ― Sylvia Plath, the Bell Jar
13. “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.” — Oprah Winfrey
14. “There’s not a word yet, for old friends who’ve just met.” ― Jim Henson, I’m going to Go Back There Someday
15. “Ooh you’re the best friend that I ever had
I’ve been with you such a long time
You’re my sunshine and I want you to know
That my feelings are true
I really love you
Oh you’re my best friend” — Queen
16. “When a woman becomes her own best friend, life is easier.” —Diane von Furstenburg
17. “A friend to all is a friend to none.” ― Aristotle
You’ll also love these new friends quotes celebrating our ability to make adult friends.
18. “Only a true friend would be that truly honest.” — Shrek
19. “Friendship is delicate as a glass, once broken it can be fixed but there will always be cracks.” — Waqar Ahmed
20. “Be slow to fall into friendship, but when you are in, continue firm and constant.” ― Socrates
21. “True friends are like diamonds — bright, beautiful, valuable, and always in style.”― Nicole Richie
Moving Quotes for Your Best Friend
22. “Some people go to priests. Others to poetry. I to my friends.”— Virginia Woolfe
23. “I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12.” — Stand by Me
24. “A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.” ― William Shakespeare
25. “True friendship is never serene.”— Marquise de Sevigne
26. “I get by with a little help from my friends.”— The Beatles
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Beatles quotes that reach for a better world.
27. “A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself — and especially to feel, or not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at any moment is fine with them. That’s what real love amounts to – letting a person be what he really is.” ― Jim Morrison
28. “An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.” — Buddha
29. “Friends should be like books, few, but hand-selected.” ― C.J. Langenhoven
30. “A strong friendship doesn’t need daily conversation or being together. As long as the relationship lives in the heart, true friends never part.”— Anonymous
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our selection of friendship quotes celebrating life-long relationships.
31. “We’ll be friend ’til we’re old and senile. … Then we’ll be new friends!” — Anonymous
32. “A friend who understands your tears is much more valuable than a lot of friends who only know your smile.” — Anonymous
33. “You have been my friend,” replied Charlotte. “That in itself is a tremendous thing.”— E.B. White Charlotte’s Web
34. “A friend is someone who makes it easy to believe in yourself.” — Heidi Wills
35. “Some people arrive and make such a beautiful impact on your life, you can barely remember what life was like without them.” — Anna Taylor
36. “A sweet friendship refreshes the soul.” — Proverbs 27:9
You might also like these fake friends quotes that will give you perspective on the difference between those who are real and those who aren’t.
37. “If you want to find out who’s a true friend, screw up or go through a challenging time … then see who sticks around.” — Karen Salmonsohn
38. “Some souls just understand each other upon meeting.” — N.R. Hart
39. “A true friend is someone who will always love you — the imperfect, the confused, the wrong you — because that is what people are supposed to do.” — R. J. L.
40. “Friendship isn’t about who you’ve known the longest, it’s about who walked in to your life, said “I’m here for you,” and PROVED it.” — Unknown
41. “Sitting silently beside a friend who is hurting may be the best gift we can give.” — Unknown
42. “There is nothing I wouldn’t do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves; it is not my nature.” — Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
43. “Friends are medicine for a wounded heart, and vitamins for a hopeful soul.” — Steve Maraboli
If you’re enjoying this article, you might also like our collection of happy birthday quotes and wishes for your best friend.
Inspirational True Friends Quotes
44. “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
45. “In my friend, I find a second self.” — Isabel Norton
46. “There’s something about childhood friends that you just can’t replace.” — Lisa Whelchel
47. “Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you; spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life.” — Amy Poehler
48. “The great thing about new friends is that they bring new energy to your soul.” — Shanna Rodriguez
49. “Nothing makes the earth seem as spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.” — Henry David Thoreau
50. “A good friend is like a four leaf clover; hard to find and lucky to have.” — Irish Proverb
51. “There comes a point in your life when you realize who really matters, who never did, and who always will.” – Unknown
52. “A friend is someone who can see the truth and pain in you even when you are fooling everyone else.” – Unknown
53. “If you’re alone, I’ll be your shadow. If you want to cry, I’ll be your shoulder. If you want a hug, I’ll be your pillow. If you need to be happy, I’ll be your smile… But anytime you need a friend, I’ll just be me.” – Unknown
54. “It’s the times we’re so crazy,
That people think we’re high.
It’s the times we laugh so hard,
We can’t help but cry.
It’s all the inside jokes
And ‘remember whens’.
Those are all the reasons
That we’re best friends!”
55. “Never explain yourself. Your friends don’t need it and your enemies won’ believe it.” – Belgicia Howell
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of enemy quotes that will make you want to cut ties with your frenemies.
56. “A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.”- Unknown
57. “Friendship isn’t about whom you have known the longest… It’s about who came, and never left your side…”- Unknown
58. “If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn’t jump with them, I’d be at the bottom to catch them”- Unknown
59. “Friendship is like standing on wet cement. The longer you stay, the harder it’s to leave, and you can never go without leaving your footprints behind.” – Moi
60. “A true friend sees the first tear… catches the second… and stops the third”- Angelique
61. “Everyone hears what you say. Friends listen to what you say. Best friends listen to what you don’t say.”- Unknown
62. “When it hurts to look back, and you’re afraid to look ahead, you can look beside you and your best friend will be there.” – Unknown
63. “It’s really amazing when two strangers become the best of friends, but it’s really sad when the best of friends become two strangers.”- Raphnie
Funny Best Friend Quotes
64. “Friends are like a good bra, supportive, hard to find, and always close to your heart!”- Unknown
65. “Anyone can make you smile or cry
But it takes someone special to make you smile
When you already have tears in your eyes”
66. “The only reason god didnt make us sisters is because one mom couldn’t handle us both.”- BrItTaNy
67. “A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing, trips you again, and calls you a**hole.” – Unknown
68. “I believe in angels, the kind that heaven sends. I’m surrounded by angels, and I call them my best friends.”- Pamela Daranjo
69. “As people grow up, they realize it becomes less important to have more friends, and more important to have real ones.”- Laguna Beach
70. “I catch your eye and you smile and I feel so much love for you it’s insane, but I feel you looking back at me with nothing more than friendship.”- Unknown
71. “Maybe I can’t stop the downpour, but I will always, always join you for a walk in the rain.” – Unknown
72. “A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you today just the way you are.”- Unknown
73. “True friends can see the hurt in your eyes when everyone else is fooled by your smile.” – Unknown
74. “The buddy system is essential to your survival; it gives the enemy somebody else to shoot at.” – Murphy’s Military Laws
75. “Friends are those rare people who ask how we are and then wait to hear the answer.”- Ed Cunningham
76. “People say best friends are hard to find — that’s because the best is already mine!” – Unknown
77. “True friendship is when two friends can walk in opposite directions, yet remain side by side”- Unknown
78. “Here’s to the nights that turned into mornings with the friends that turned into family”- Unknown
79. “A friend is not the one that will kill for you, but the one that will die for you”- Pes
80. “Friends teach you what you WANT to know. Enemies teach you what you NEED to know.”- Unknown
Beautiful Quotes About Best Friends
81. “A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.”- Walter Winchell
82. “There’s a point in every true friendship, where friends stop being friends and become sisters.”- Unknown
83. “What’s Tommy without Chuckie, What’s Steve without Blue, What’s Spongebob without Patrick, It’s me without you”- Unknown
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of Sponge Bob quotes from your favorite cartoon character.
84. “It’s funny how in the end, you always go back, to the ones that have been there from the very beginning”- Unknown
85. “Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like without you. Then I thank God I only have to wonder.”- Heather Cordelia
86. “There are some people in life
That makes you laugh a little louder
Smile a little bigger
And just live a little better”
87. “You get into the [B I G G E S T] fights, with the people you care about most because those are the relationships, you’re willing to fight for.”- Girlie
88. “Friend: One who knows all about you and loves you just the same.”- Elbert Hubbard
89. “I have the kind of friends
Where if my house was burning down,
They’d be roasting marshmallows and
Hitting on the firemen”
90. “I live for the days I can’t remember with the friends I’ll never forget.”- Unknown
More quotes about best friends
91. “No matter how serious life gets you still need those ones you can be absolutely stupid with…..”- Websitersomething
92. “That was what a best friend did: hold up a mirror and show you your heart.” – Kristin Hannah
93. “True love is finding your soulmate in your best friend.” – Faye Hall
94. “Because with true friends, no one is keeping score. But it still feels good to repay them – even in the tiniest increments.” – Emery Lord
95. “Ten minutes with a genuine friend is better than years spent with anyone less.” – Crystal Woods
96. “That’s the problem with best friends. Sometimes they know you better than you know yourself.” – Cecily von Ziegesar
97. “A true best friend loves you even when it seems like you’ve gone off the deep end.” – Liz Fenton
98. “A best friend is the one person that doesn’t leave you worse off by their actions or yours.” – Shannon L. Alder
99. “A true best friend may get you into trouble, but they will always be there to pull you out of it too.” – Unknown
100. “Friendship is not something that you seek but something that finds you.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
101. “Best friends are those people who reveal to you what is wonderful inside of you, and you can all still laugh together.” – Debasish Mridha
Quotes About Best Friends To Celebrate That Special Someone
102. “Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart” — Eleanor Roosevelt
103. “Friendship marks a life even more deeply than love. Love risks degenerating into obsession, friendship is never anything but sharing.” ― Elie Wiesel
104. “Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It’s not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything.” ― Muhammad Ali
105. “Dear George: Remember no man is a failure who has friends.” — It’s a Wonderful Life
106. “Anybody can sympathize with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathize with a friend’s success.” ― Oscar Wilde
107. “Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead. Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.” — Albert Camus
108. “No friendship is an accident.” ― O. Henry, Heart of the West
109. “One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives.” — Euripides
110. “Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.” ― Anais Nin
111. “A true friend is someone who is there for you when he’d rather be anywhere else.” — Len Wein
Quotes About Best Friends To Appreciate Your Friendship
112. “Real friendship, like real poetry, is extremely rare — and precious as a pearl.” — Tahar Ben Jelloun
113. “There are friendships imprinted in our hearts that will never be diminished by time and distance.” — Dodinsky
114. “Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity.” — Khalil Gibran
115. “She is a friend of my mind. She gather me, man. The pieces I am, she gather them and give them back to me in all the right order.” — Toni Morrison
116. “A real friendship should not fade as time passes, and should not weaken because of space separation.” — John Newton
117. “A friend can tell you things you don’t want to tell yourself.” — Frances Ward Weller
118. “Friendship is accepting a person with all their qualities — good and bad.” — Mohanlal
119. “My best friend is the man who in wishing me well wishes it for my sake.” — Aristotle
120. “A friend who is far away is sometimes much nearer than one who is at hand.” — Kahlil Gibran
121. “Friends…they cherish one another’s hopes. They are kind to one another’s dreams.” — Henry David Thoreau
What’s your favorite among these quotes about best friends?
Anyone can be your best friend: a mother, father, sister, brother, teacher, stranger, colleague – or even an old enemy.
You never know who is going to have such a big impact in your life.
So pay attention: your best friend might just be in front of you all along.
September 14, 2022 5:00 AM EST