Want advice from some of the world’s brightest minds on succeeding against evil? We have compiled devil quotes from prominent religious figures, authors, and more to help you develop your inner strength.
What do you know about the devil?
Evil spirits are referenced in a variety of different cultures and religions. For example, Christianity refers to the devil, or Satan, as the embodiment of evil. In Islam, evil is referred to as Shaitan or Iblis. No matter your religious beliefs, dealing with evil is an experience that many of us have throughout our day-to-day lives.
Check out the quotes below to learn more about the devil, how to fight back against evil forces, and the devil’s effect on society.
Devil quotes on how the devil works
1. “The devil doesn’t come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you’ve ever wished for.” – Tucker Max
2. “For where God built a church, there the Devil would also build a chapel.” – Martin Luther
3. “The devil is a better theologian than any of us and is a devil still.” – Aiden Wilson Tozer
4. “Sometimes The Devil is a gentleman.” – Percy Bysshe Shelley
5. “The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life. Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat.” – Albert Einstein
6. “All the cunning of the devil is exercised in trying to tear us away from the word.” – Martin Luther
7. “Pride is the master sin of the devil, and the devil is the father of lies.” – Edwin Hubbel Chapin
8. “The Devil’s most devilish when respectable.” – Elizabeth Barrett Browning
9. “Beauty and the devil are the same thing.” – Robert Mapplethorpe
10. “The devil is a peace stealer, and he works hard to set us up to get upset. But we can learn how to change our approach so we don’t live upset all of the time. And Jesus gives us the best example to follow.” – Joyce Meyer
11. “The devil’s voice is sweet to hear.” – Stephen King
12. “The devil divides the world between atheism and superstition.” – George Herbert
13. “The devil’s name is dullness.” – Robert E. Lee
14. “Better the devil you know than the angel you don’t.” – Hama Tuma
Devil quotes on fighting evil
15. “If you’ve got faith and you believe in what you are living for, you can stand your ground when the Devil’s at your door.” – John Michael Montgomery
16. “When you’re in hell, only a devil can point the way out.” – Joe Abercrombie
17. “The devil ain’t got no power over me. The devil come, and me shake hands with the devil. Devil have his part to play. Devil’s a good friend, too… because when you don’t know him, that’s the time he can mosh you down.” – Bob Marley
18. “If you will do what God tells you to do, there’s no person on Earth and no devil in Hell that can keep you from having what God wants you to have.” – Joyce Meyer
19. “If you don’t set the tone for the day, the devil will set it for you.” – Joel Osteen
20. “Be careful who you trust, the devil was once an angel.” – Unknown
21. “A brave man is a man who dares to look the Devil in the face and tell him he is a Devil.” – James A. Garfield
22. “It is wonderful how much time good people spend fighting the devil. If they would only expend the same amount of energy loving their fellow men, the devil would die in his own tracks of ennui.” – Helen Keller
23. “If you get down and quarrel everyday, you’re saying prayers to the devil, I say.” – Bob Marley
24. “Be ever engaged, so that whenever the devil calls he may find you occupied.” – St. Jerome
Devil quotes on society
25. “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.” – Oscar Wilde
26. “Neutral men are the devil’s allies.” – Edwin Hubbel Chapin
27. “The world is all the richer for having a devil in it, so long as we keep our foot upon his neck.” – William James
28. “We are our own devils; we drive ourselves out of our Edens.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
29. “Hell is empty and all the devils are here.” – William Shakespeare
30. “Man can hardly even recognize the devils of his own creation.” – Albert Schweitzer
31. “The devil is an optimist if he thinks he can make people worse than they are.” – Karl Kraus
32. “Gossip is the Devil’s radio.” – George Harrison
33. “I have more respect for a man who lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong, than the one who comes up like an angel and is nothing but a devil.” – Malcolm X
34. “If you young fellows were wise, the devil couldn’t do anything to you, but since you aren’t wise, you need us who are old.” – Martin Luther
Devil quotes on temptation
35. “Those who play with the devil’s toys will be brought by degrees to wield his sword.” – R. Buckminster Fuller
36. “We gain the strength of the temptation we resist.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
37. “I never resist temptation, because I have found that things that are bad for me do not tempt me.” – George Bernard Shaw
38. “Temptation is a woman’s weapon and man’s excuse.” – H.L. Mencken
39. “I like to talk to myself ahead of time so when temptation comes, I’ve already made up my mind that I have the victory.” – Joyce Meyer
40. “All men are tempted. There is no man that lives that can’t be broken down, provided it is the right temptation, put in the right spot.” – Henry Ward Beecher
41. “Temptation is the devil looking through the keyhole. Yielding is opening the door and inviting him in.” – Billy Sunday
42. “Ever notice that the whisper of temptation can be heard farther than the loudest call to duty.” – Earl Wilson
43. “There has always been discouragement, negativism, and temptation in the world because of Lucifer.” – Joseph B. Wirthlin
44. “Knowledge of God’s Word is a bulwark against deception, temptation, accusation, even persecution.” – Edwin Louis Cole
More devil quotes
45. “Often the work of the Lord itself may be a temptation to keep us from that communion with Him which is so essential to the benefit of our own souls.” – George Muller
46. “We usually know what we can do, but temptation shows us who we are.” – Thomas a Kempis
47. “Resist the temptation to subject yourself only to that which re-affirms what you already think.” – Jake Tapper
48. “Temptation has been here ever since the Garden of Eden.” – Jerry Falwell
49. “The biggest temptation I believe is to feel comfortable, to feel like you’ve worked through all of that here on Earth, and are satisfied with this life.” – Nick Vujicic
50. “The devil tempts men through their ambition, their cupidity, or their appetite, until he comes to the profane swearer, whom he clutches without any reward.” – Horace Mann
What temptation are you trying to restrain from?
The daily temptations we are faced with vary drastically. As we repeatedly face them, it can be difficult to restrain from these temptations long term. If you have recently given in to temptation, don’t beat yourself up about it.
Life is a journey made up of many different small decisions. Making a bad decision one day doesn’t have to decide the trajectory of your entire life. Remember that every day is a new beginning to become a better you.
Is there a devil quote or saying from above that you connected with the most? Tell us your thoughts in the comments section below.
February 27, 2020 7:30 AM EST