We have compiled devil quotes from prominent religious figures, authors, and more to help you develop your inner strength.
Want advice from some of the world’s brightest minds on succeeding against evil?
In the comment section below, let us know which devil quote is your favorite.
What are the benefits of reading devil quotes?
Evil spirits are referenced in a variety of different cultures and religions.
For example, Christianity refers to the devil, or Satan, as the embodiment of evil.
In Islam, they refer to evil as Shaitan or Iblis.
Regardless of your religious beliefs, dealing with evil is an experience many of us have throughout our day-to-day lives.
These devil quotes will:
- Expand your definition of what is evil
- Offer you a new perspective
- Help motivate you through challenging situations
Check out the quotes below to learn more about the devil, how to fight back against evil forces, and the devil’s effect on society.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quote category page has even more inspirational and educational quotes.
Devil quotes on how the devil works
1. “All the cunning of the devil is exercised in trying to tear us away from the word.” – Martin Luther
2. “For where God built a church, there the Devil would also build a chapel.” – Martin Luther
3. “The devil is a better theologian than any of us and is a devil still.” – Aiden Wilson Tozer
4. “Sometimes The Devil is a gentleman.” – Percy Bysshe Shelley
5. “Beauty and the devil are the same thing.” – Robert Mapplethorpe
6. “The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life. Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat.” – Albert Einstein
7. “The devil doesn’t come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you’ve ever wished for.” – Tucker Max
8. “Pride is the master sin of the devil, and the devil is the father of lies.” – Edwin Hubbel Chapin
9. “The Devil’s most devilish when respectable.” – Elizabeth Barrett Browning
10. “The devil is a peace stealer, and he works hard to set us up to get upset. But we can learn how to change our approach so we don’t live upset all of the time. And Jesus gives us the best example to follow.” – Joyce Meyer
11. “The devil’s voice is sweet to hear.” – Stephen King
12. “The devil divides the world between atheism and superstition.” – George Herbert
13. “The devil’s name is dullness.” – Robert E. Lee
14. “Better the devil you know than the angel you don’t.” – Hama Tuma
You might also like these God quotes that will help you find direction and purpose.
Devil quotes on fighting evil
15. “If you’ve got faith and you believe in what you are living for, you can stand your ground when the Devil’s at your door.” – John Michael Montgomery
16. “When you’re in hell, only a devil can point the way out.” – Joe Abercrombie
17. “The devil ain’t got no power over me. The devil come, and me shake hands with the devil. Devil have his part to play. Devil’s a good friend, too… because when you don’t know him, that’s the time he can mosh you down.” – Bob Marley
18. “If you will do what God tells you to do, there’s no person on Earth and no devil in Hell that can keep you from having what God wants you to have.” – Joyce Meyer
19. “If you don’t set the tone for the day, the devil will set it for you.” – Joel Osteen
20. “Be careful who you trust, the devil was once an angel.” – Unknown
21. “A brave man is a man who dares to look the Devil in the face and tell him he is a Devil.” – James A. Garfield
22. “It is wonderful how much time good people spend fighting the devil. If they would only expend the same amount of energy loving their fellow men, the devil would die in his own tracks of ennui.” – Helen Keller
23. “If you get down and quarrel everyday, you’re saying prayers to the devil, I say.” – Bob Marley
24. “Be ever engaged, so that whenever the devil calls he may find you occupied.” – St. Jerome
Devil quotes on society
25. “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.” – Oscar Wilde
26. “Neutral men are the devil’s allies.” – Edwin Hubbel Chapin
27. “The world is all the richer for having a devil in it, so long as we keep our foot upon his neck.” – William James
28. “We are our own devils; we drive ourselves out of our Edens.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
29. “Hell is empty and all the devils are here.” – William Shakespeare
30. “Man can hardly even recognize the devils of his own creation.” – Albert Schweitzer
31. “The devil is an optimist if he thinks he can make people worse than they are.” – Karl Kraus
32. “Gossip is the Devil’s radio.” – George Harrison
33. “I have more respect for a man who lets me know where he stands, even if he’s wrong, than the one who comes up like an angel and is nothing but a devil.” – Malcolm X
34. “If you young fellows were wise, the devil couldn’t do anything to you, but since you aren’t wise, you need us who are old.” – Martin Luther
Devil quotes on temptation
35. “Those who play with the devil’s toys will be brought by degrees to wield his sword.” – R. Buckminster Fuller
36. “We gain the strength of the temptation we resist.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
37. “I never resist temptation, because I have found that things that are bad for me do not tempt me.” – George Bernard Shaw
38. “Temptation is a woman’s weapon and man’s excuse.” – H.L. Mencken
39. “I like to talk to myself ahead of time so when temptation comes, I’ve already made up my mind that I have the victory.” – Joyce Meyer
40. “All men are tempted. There is no man that lives that can’t be broken down, provided it is the right temptation, put in the right spot.” – Henry Ward Beecher
41. “Temptation is the devil looking through the keyhole. Yielding is opening the door and inviting him in.” – Billy Sunday
42. “Ever notice that the whisper of temptation can be heard farther than the loudest call to duty.” – Earl Wilson
43. “There has always been discouragement, negativism, and temptation in the world because of Lucifer.” – Joseph B. Wirthlin
44. “Knowledge of God’s Word is a bulwark against deception, temptation, accusation, even persecution.” – Edwin Louis Cole
More devil quotes
45. “Often the work of the Lord itself may be a temptation to keep us from that communion with Him which is so essential to the benefit of our own souls.” – George Muller
46. “We usually know what we can do, but temptation shows us who we are.” – Thomas a Kempis
47. “Resist the temptation to subject yourself only to that which re-affirms what you already think.” – Jake Tapper
48. “Temptation has been here ever since the Garden of Eden.” – Jerry Falwell
49. “The biggest temptation I believe is to feel comfortable, to feel like you’ve worked through all of that here on Earth, and are satisfied with this life.” – Nick Vujicic
50. “The devil tempts men through their ambition, their cupidity, or their appetite, until he comes to the profane swearer, whom he clutches without any reward.” – Horace Mann
51. “A woman being never at a loss… the devil always sticks by them.”― George Gordon Byron
52. “The devil’s agents may be of flesh and blood, may they not?”― Arthur Conan Doyle
53. “You never walk alone. Even the devil is the lord of flies.”― Gilles Deleuze
54. “The devil’s happy when the critics run you off.”― Criss Jami
55. “I think the devil will not have me damned, lest the oil that’s in me should set hell on fire.”― William Shakespeare
Understanding devil quotes
56. “Man creates both his god and his devil in his own image. His god is himself at his best, and his devil himself at his worst.” – Elbert Hubbard
57. “The Devil’s finest trick is to persuade you that he does not exist.” – Charles Baudelaire
58. “No man means evil but the Devil, and we shall know him by his horns.” – William Shakespeare
59. “The Devil has no power except in the dark.” – Cassandra Clare
60. “God removes the sin of the one who makes humble confession, and thereby, the Devil loses the sovereignty he had gained over the human heart.” – Saint Bernard
61. “Do not be dismayed to learn there is a bit of the Devil in you. There is a bit of the Devil in us all.” – Arthur Byron Cover
62. “Be ever engaged, so that whenever the Devil calls, he may find you occupied.” – Jerome of Stridon
63. “I want to live my life in such a way that when I get out of bed in the morning, the devil says, “aw shit, he’s up!” ― Steve Maraboli
64. “In every man’s heart, there is a devil, but we do not know the man as bad until the Devil is roused.” – James Oliver Curwood
65. “Thinking about the Devil is worse than seeing the Devil.” – Branch Rickey
Devil quotes to help you fight against him
66. “When the devil sees a man or woman who really believes in prayer, who knows how to pray, and who really does pray, and, above all, when he sees a whole church on its face before God in prayer, he trembles as much as he ever did, for he knows that his day in that church or community is at an end.” –R.A. Torrey
67. “Pray often, for prayer is a shield to the soul, a sacrifice to God, and a scourge to Satan.” –John Bunyan
68. “We are evidently no friends of Satan.” -J.C. Ryle
69. “Satan so hates the genuine praise of Christ that his fiery darts of discouragement are not effective against us when we respond in praise.” –William Thrasher
70. “It is a masterpiece of the devil to make us believe that children cannot understand religion. Would Christ have made a child the standard of faith if He had known that it was not capable of understanding His words?” –Dwight L. Moody
71. “As the most dangerous winds may enter at little openings, so the devil never enters more dangerously than by little unobserved incidents, which seem to be nothing, yet insensibly open the heart to great temptations.” –John Wesley
72. “The first step on the way to victory is to recognize the enemy.” –Corrie Ten Boom
73. “There is no neutral ground in the universe; every square inch, every split second, is claimed by God and counter-claimed by Satan.” –C.S. Lewis
74. “We must recognize how the evil one is working in this world and take a firm stance against him. It means we take careful thought concerning what we put in our minds – what we listen to, what we watch, and how we use our time.” –Chip Ingram
75. “Satan can make men dance upon the brink of hell as though they were on the verge of heaven.” –Charles Spurgeon
Develop your inner strength with these Devil Quotes and triumph against all evil
76. “Evil can never survive, though for a time it may seem to triumph. It is only a question of our endurance and patience.” – Swami Paramananda
77. “All humans realize they are loved when witnessing the dawn; early morning is the triumph of good over evil. Absolved by light we decide to go on.” – Rufus Wainwright
78. “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke
79. “There is no denying that there is evil in this world but the light will always conquer the darkness.” – Idowu Koyenikan
80. “Light can devour the darkness but darkness cannot consume the light.” – Ken Poirot
81. “Love triumphs, at least in this life, not by eliminating evil once for all, but by resisting and overcoming it anew every day.” – Thomas Merton
82. “Good must triumph over evil. It usually does in life and in any case it’s bad for young people to believe it doesn’t.” – Barbara Cartland
83. “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won.” – Mahatma Gandhi
84. “There is a battle of two wolves inside us all. One is evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, lies, inferiority and ego. The other is good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness, empathy and truth. The wolf that wins? The one you feed.” – American Indian Proverbs
85. “Consider that nothing in human life is stable; for then you will not exult overmuch in prosperity, nor grieve overmuch in adversity. Rejoice over the good things which come to you, but grieve in moderation over the evils which befall you.” – Isocrates
Devil Quotes That Will Change Your Personality
86. “He that falls into sin is a man; that grieves at it, is a saint; that boasteth of it, is a devil.” ― Thomas Fuller
87. “You always fall for the rascal or the guy who’s got a little bit of the devil in him. You can’t help it.” ― Debbie Harry
88. “Here is true immorality: ignorance and stupidity; the devil is nothing but this. His name is Legion.” ― Gustave Flaubert
89. “We’re all in the same game, just different levels. Dealing with the same hell, just different devils.” ― Jadakiss
90. “Probably the toughest time in anyone’s life is when you have to murder a loved one because they’re the devil.” ― Emo Philips
91. “I don’t give the devil credit for creating nothing.” ― Little Richard
92. “It is so stupid of modern civilization to have given up believing in the devil when he is the only explanation of it.” ― Ronald Knox
93. “Black hair, angelic face, and devil eyes.” ― Ilona Andrews
94. “The devil helps his servants for a season; but when they get into a pinch; he leaves them in the lurch.” ― Roger L’Estrange
95. “If you get down and quarell everyday, you’re saying prayers to the devil, I say.” ― Bob Marley
Thought Provoking Devil Quotes
96. “The long, dull, monotonous years of middle-aged prosperity or middle-aged adversity are excellent campaigning weather for the devil.” — C. S. Lewis
97. “To talk to someone who does not listen is enough to tense the devil.” — Pearl Bailey
98. “Come on, say it again. I’m a perfect devil. Tell me how bad I am. It makes me feel so good!” — Anne Rice
99. “You don’t think of the devil who’s inside.” — Celine Dion
100. “Hell is the highest reward that the devil can offer you for being a servant of his.” — Billy Sunday
101. “The devil knows more from experience than from being the devil.” — Sandra Cisneros
102. “The devil shall have his bargain; for he was never yet a breaker of proverbs–he will give the devil his due.” — William Shakespeare
103. “I walked along that slippery slope where if you fail through lack of faith, you sell your soul to the devil.” — Michelle Shocked
104. “If the devil take a less hateful shape to us than to our fathers, he is as busy with us as with them.” — James Russell Lowell
105. “At sometime in our lives a devil dwells within us, causes heartbreaks, confusion and troubles, then dies.” — Theodore Roosevelt
What temptation are you trying to restrain from?
The daily temptations we are faced with vary drastically.
As we repeatedly face them, it can be difficult to restrain from these temptations long term.
If you have recently given in to temptation, don’t beat yourself up about it.
Life is a journey made up of many different small decisions.
Making a bad decision one day doesn’t have to decide the trajectory of your entire life.
Remember that every day is a new beginning to become a better you.
Is there a devil quote or saying from above that you connected with the most?
Tell us your thoughts in the comments section below.
December 1, 2022 5:30 AM EST