These surfing quotes will inspire you to visit the ocean and hang ten on the waves.
Surfing is the incredible pastime of riding a surfboard on a wave all the way to shore. This collection of surfing quotes will have you ready to get your feet wet and dive right into the ocean. Whether you’re an expert surfer or this is your first time on a board, you’ll love these inspirational sayings and insightful words.
These surfing quotes come from the minds of legendary boarders, beach lovers, and wave riders. If you like having fun in the sun and making unforgettable memories, give this exciting water sport a try today.
The world of surfing is full of adrenaline, skill, and pleasure. There’s no better way to spend a day than being out at sea and connecting with nature. These surfing quotes capture the intense feelings of freedom and power that come with riding a wave. Read this list of inspiring quotes and embrace the surfing lifestyle.
We also have a collection of ocean quotes that inspire beauty and depth.
The best surfing quotes about catching waves and having fun in the ocean
1. “The best surfer out there is the one having the most fun.” – Phil Edwards
2. “If you’re having a bad day, catch a wave.” – Frosty Hesson
3. “My passion for surfing was more than my fear of sharks.” – Bethany Hamilton
4. “Surfing to me is like playing music. You play different melodies with different boards.” – Skip Frye
5. “If in doubt, paddle out.” – Nat Young
6. “Big waves aren’t measured in feet, but in increments of fear.” – Buzzy Trent
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of waves quotes for surfers & beach lovers.
7. “Surfing is attitude dancing.” – Gerry Lopez
8. “Being spat out of one of those giant, roaring Hawaiian tubes is the most amazing sensation I’ve ever experienced in my life. It’s joy, fear and accomplishment all rolled into one experience.” – Shaun Tomson
9. “There is not one right way to ride a wave.” – Jamie O’Brien
10. “Foam is your friend. Don’t be scared of it. A little bit of extra foam here and there is good for the soul, and your surfing.” – Rob Machado
Surfing quotes that will inspire you to visit the ocean
11. “The biggest sin in the world would be if I lost my love for the ocean.” – Laird Hamilton
12. “Sometimes in the morning, when it’s a good surf, I go out there, and I don’t feel like it’s a bad world.” – Kary Mullis
13. “Your surfing can get better on every turn, on every wave you catch. Learn to read the ocean better. A big part of my success has been wave knowledge.” – Kelly Slater
14. “I don’t need sponsors. I surf better when I’m broke anyway.” – Dave Parmenter
15. “Surfing’s the source. Can change your life. Swear to God.” – Christopher Pettiet
16. “Go strip off your clothes that are a nuisance in this mellow clime. Get in and wrestle with the sea; wing your heels with the skill and power that reside in you, hit the sea’s breakers, master them, and ride upon their backs as a king should.” – Jack London
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of sea quotes to invoke depth and exploration.
17. “Thank God for a few free waves.” – Miki Dora
18. “I’m just a surfer who wanted to build something that would allow me to surf longer.” – Jack O’Neill
19. “I took off on a wave, went down the side, popped out the other end, and went, shit, I’m still alive!” – Greg Noll
20. “I surf to get tan.” – Shane Dorian
Also read these wrestling quotes for fans of the sport.
Surfing quotes that will inspire you to make unforgettable memories
21. “If there was no such thing as barrels I probably wouldn’t even surf.” – Clay Marzo
22. “I could not help concluding this man had the most supreme pleasure while he was driven so fast and so smoothly by the sea.” – Captain James Cook
23. “I’ve committed to surfing the rest of my life.” – Lance Armstrong
24. “Never drive away from good surf.” – Roger Sharp
25. “I try changing my surfing, which is the absolute worst thing you can do. Everyone surfs their own way. If I try to surf like someone else I look like a dork.” – Andy Irons
26. “When the surfs up, your life is too.” – Wilhelm Sverdvik
27. “Surfing is very much like making love. It always feels good, no matter how many times you’ve done it.” – Paul Strauch
28. “Surfing is for life.” – Bruce Jenkins
29. “I’ve tried body surfing. It’s nice.” – Ziggy Marley
30. “You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.” – John Kabat-Zinn
Surfing quotes that will give you a newfound respect for water sport
31. “Surfing soothes me, it’s always been a kind of Zen experience for me. The ocean is so magnificent, peaceful, and awesome. The rest of the world disappears for me when I’m on a wave.” – Paul Walker (see more quotes by Paul Walker)
32. “Live to surf, surf to live.” – Mike Doyle
33. “Surfing, alone among sports, generates laughter at its very suggestion, and this is because it turns not a skill into an art, but an inexplicable and useless urge into a vital way of life.” – Matt Warshaw
34. “What I love the most about surfing is that it’s my first love. It’s the first thing I can remember being consumed by.” – Stephanie Gilmore
35. “Surfing leads you through life, especially when you’re young and with hope in your heart.” – Tom Blake
36. “You can take a surfer out of the surf, but you can not take surf out of surfer.” – Bob McTavish
37. “Sliding a wave removes our brains out of the ordinary and slips us into the extraordinary of being there now. No more worries about mortgages or strife of being poor or rich. When you enter the domain of an ocean cylinder, that moment, those split seconds belong to the Zen part of just being. Period.” – Bill Hamilton
38. “Climbers have Everest. Surfers have Nazaré.” – António Silva
39. “Surfing in crowds is like mind over matter. If I don’t mind it don’t matter.” – Brodus Rogers
40. “I think you could build a couple of humans with the amount of skin lost on the reef at Pipe.” – Martin Potter
More surfing quotes that will brighten your day
41. “I think when a surfer becomes a surfer, it’s almost like an obligation to be an environmentalist at the same time.” – Kelly Slater
42. “Surfing is almost a way to fly.” – Jeff Hakman
43. “One of the greatest things about the sport of surfing is that you need only three things: your body, a surfboard, and a wave.” – Naima Green
44. “It’s not tragic to die doing something you love.” – Mark Foo
45. “Surfing is the most blissful experience you can have on this planet, a taste of heaven.” – John McCarthy
46. “There’s nothing quite like surfing by yourself in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, but unpredictable weather patterns, below deck accommodation, sea snakes, coral cuts and packs of reef sharks make it a trip for the committed seadog.” – Mark Thornley
47. “We’re all equal before a wave.” – Laird Hamilton
48. “Surfing is such an amazing concept. You’re taking on Nature with a little stick and saying, ‘I’m gonna ride you!’ And a lot of times Nature says, ‘No you’re not!’ and crashes you to the bottom.” – Jolene Blalock
49. “Out of the water, I am nothing.” – Duke Kahanamoku
50. “The joy of surfing is so many things combined, from the physical exertion of it, to the challenge of it, to the mental side of the sport.” – Kelly Slater
Which of these legendary surfing quotes makes you feel the most empowered?
Being out in the open ocean and riding the waves is an incredibly uplifting experience. These surfing quotes will give you the confidence and the drive that you need to hang ten. If you’re planning a trip to Hawaii, California, or somewhere else with unbeatable swells, read this collection of sayings first to get in the mood.
Surfing is the ultimate water sport for expressing your freedom, strength, and discipline. If you’re a free-spirited beach lover, you’ll absolutely adore this collection of the best surfing quotes.
These inspirational quotes and words of wisdom come from iconic surfers throughout history and around the world. Reading these insights will give you a fresh perspective and a newfound respect for water sports. Share these surfing quotes with all of the adventurous beach lovers in your life.
What are your favorite surfing quotes and sayings about catching waves and having fun in the ocean? Let us know in the comment section below.
March 30, 2020 7:00 AM EST