These sacrifice quotes will change your perspective on true love, friendship, and success.
It may seem scary or upsetting to make a sacrifice, but sometimes self-sacrifice is necessary for success. These powerful quotes about hard work and sacrifice will remind you how important it is to compromise and keep the faith.
Is sacrifice good or bad?
Whether you’re looking to improve your marriage, friendship, or some other aspect of your life, it is essential to make sacrifices for love.
When you’re chasing your dreams, sometimes hard work alone isn’t enough. These sacrifice quotes will motivate you to make the hard choices in life that will help you succeed. True love and success are only possible with compromise, trust, and sacrifice.
This collection of motivational quotes will guide you and help you reach your goals. Read these powerful words of wisdom to gain a fresh perspective on making sacrifices.
Inspiring sacrifice quotes for success
1. “Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice, and is never the result of selfishness.” – Napoleon Hill
2. “Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.” – Pele
3. “Follow your passion, be prepared to work hard and sacrifice, and, above all, don’t let anyone limit your dreams.” – Donovan Bailey
4. “True love is selfless. It is prepared to sacrifice.” – Sadhu Vaswani
5. “Let us sacrifice our today so that our children can have a better tomorrow.” – A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
6. “Sacrifice: If you want something you’ve never had, you must be willing to do something you’ve never done.” – Unknown
7. “You can’t achieve anything in life without a small amount of sacrifice.” – Shakira
8. “Teamwork requires some sacrifice upfront; people who work as a team have to put the collective needs of the group ahead of their individual interests.” – Patrick Lencioni
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of team quotes that will inspire you and your teammates to collectively meet your goals.
9. “Love proves itself by deeds, so how am I to show my love? Great deeds are forbidden me. The only way I can prove my love is by scattering flowers, and these flowers are every little sacrifice, every glance and word, and the doing of the least actions for love.” – Thérèse of Lisieux
10. “Great leaders are willing to sacrifice the numbers to save the people. Poor leaders sacrifice the people to save the numbers.” – Simon Sinek
Sacrifice quotes that will inspire you to compromise and keep the faith
11. “You have to fight to reach your dream. You have to sacrifice and work hard for it.” – Lionel Messi
12. “The important thing is this: to be able, at any moment, to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.” – Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
13. “Life is a song – sing it. Life is a game – play it. Life is a challenge – meet it. Life is a dream – realize it. Life is a sacrifice – offer it. Life is love – enjoy it.” – Sai Baba
14. “To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.” – Steve Prefontaine
15. “Sustainability can’t be like some sort of a moral sacrifice or political dilemma or a philanthropical cause. It has to be a design challenge.” – Bjarke Ingels
16. “I’m willing to walk in darkness if it keeps humans in the light.” – Victoria Schwab
17. “We don’t have to sacrifice a strong economy for a healthy environment.” – Dennis Weaver
18. “When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.” – Edmund Burke
19. “Power means happiness; power means hard work and sacrifice.” – Beyonce Knowles
20. “For me, no ideological or political conviction would justify the sacrifice of a human life. For me, the value of life is absolute, with no concessions. It’s not negotiable.” – Edgar Ramirez
Sacrifice quotes that will motivate you to make the hard choices
21. “One life is all we have and we live it as we believe in living it. But to sacrifice what you are and to live without belief, that is a fate more terrible than dying.” – Joan of Arc
22. “A team will always appreciate a great individual if he’s willing to sacrifice for the group.” – Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
23. “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” – Albert Pike
24. “The journey has definitely not been easy, but all the sacrifice has paid off very well in terms of my performance on-court.” – Rohan Bopanna
25. “The willingness of America’s veterans to sacrifice for our country has earned them our lasting gratitude.” – Jeff Miller
26. “Dreams do come true, if we only wish hard enough, You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it.” – James M. Barrie
27. “The entrepreneurial life is one of challenge, work, dedication, perseverance, exhilaration, agony, accomplishment, failure, sacrifice, control, powerlessness… but ultimately, extraordinary satisfaction.” – David S. Rose
28. “Brotherhood means laying down your life for somebody, really willing to sacrifice yourself for somebody else.” – Tim Hetherington
29. “There is no moral authority like that of sacrifice.” – Nadine Gordimer
30. “Too long a sacrifice can make a stone of the heart. O when may it suffice?” – William Butler Yeats
Sacrifice quotes to guide you
31. “The idea of redemption is always good news, even if it means sacrifice or some difficult times.” – Patti Smith
32. “Don’t sacrifice who you could be for who you are.” – Unknown
33. “There is no decision that we can make that doesn’t come with some sort of balance or sacrifice.” – Simon Sinek
34. “Sweat plus sacrifice equals success.” – Charlie Finley
35. “Patriotism demands of us sustained sacrifice.” – Chiang Kai-shek
36. “Things aren’t gifted to you. Things don’t just come from an idea, from nothing. You have to work for them. You have to pursue them. You have to take time. You have to sacrifice.” – Ozuna
37. “A noble purpose inspires sacrifice, stimulates innovation and encourages perseverance.” – Gary Hamel
38. “Freedom does not come without a price. We may sometimes take for granted the many liberties we enjoy in America, but they have all been earned through the ultimate sacrifice paid by so many of the members of our armed forces.” – Charlie Dent
39. “I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team, I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion.” – Mia Hamm
40. “We all naturally want to become successful… we also want to take shortcuts. And it’s easy to do so, but you can never take away the effort of hard work and discipline and sacrifice.” – Apolo Ohno
Other sacrifice quotes to inspire you
41. “In the military, they give medals for people who are willing to sacrifice themselves so that others may survive. In business, we give bonuses to people who sacrifice others.” – Simon Sinek
42. “You aren’t going to find anybody that’s going to be successful without making a sacrifice and without perseverance.” – Lou Holtz
43. “Life is only a long and bitter suicide, and faith alone can transform this suicide into a sacrifice.” – Franz Liszt
44. “No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than they once were.” – Anthony Kennedy
45. “At the end of the day, we all want to win, so everybody has to sacrifice when you want to be a part of something special.” – Jayson Tatum
46. “I guess that’s just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up.” – Lauren Oliver
47. “Every wish, every dream, every idea comes to existence only through blood, sweat and sacrifice.” – Ivan Moody
48. “Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts. That’s what little girls are made of.” – Bethany Hamilton
49. “I think that the good and the great are only separated by the willingness to sacrifice.” – Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
50. “Love is not a feeling of happiness. Love is a willingness to sacrifice.” – Michael Novak
More sacrifice quotes and sayings
51. “There is no success without sacrifice.” – Unknown
52. “Sometimes when you sacrifice something precious, you’re not really losing it. You’re just passing it on to someone else.” – Mitch Albom
53. “The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.” – David Foster Wallace
54. “Nothing great was ever accomplished without making sacrifices.” – Unknown
55. “Sacrifice is a part of life. It’s supposed to be. It’s not something to regret. It’s something to aspire to.” – Mitch Albom
56. “Life is funny. Things change, people change, but you will always be you, so stay true to yourself and never sacrifice who you are for anyone.” – Zayn Malik
57. “Sometimes the prize is not worth the costs. The means by which we achieve victory are as important as the victory itself.” – Brandon Sanderson
58. “Real magic can never be made by offering someone else’s liver. You must tear out your own, and not expect to get it back.” – Peter S. Beagle
59. “Love without sacrifice is like theft.” – Nassim Nicholas Taleb
60. “There is no progress or accomplishment without sacrifice.” – Idowu Koyenikan
Sacrifice quotes to keep you moving forward
61. “There are so many ways to be brave in this world. Sometimes bravery involves laying down your life for something bigger than yourself, or for someone else. Sometimes it involves giving up everything you have ever known, or everyone you have ever loved, for the sake of something greater.” -Veronica Roth
62. “It’s not hard to decide what you want your life to be about. What’s hard, she said, is figuring out what you’re willing to give up in order to do the things you really care about.” -Shauna Niequist
63. “Without pain, without sacrifice we would have nothing.” -Chuck Palahniuk
64. “Anything that you cannot sacrifice pins you. Makes you predictable, makes you weak.” -Mark Lawrence
65. “Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
66. “Тhere isnʹt much I wouldnʹt do for you. Тhe stupider, the better.” -Richelle Mead
67. The ultimate test of man’s conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard.” -Gaylord Nelson
68. “They never fail who die in a great cause.” -George Gordon Byron
69. “Every man gives his life for what he believes. Every woman gives her life for what she believes. Sometimes people believe in little or nothing, and so they give their lives to little or nothing. One life is all we have, and we live it as we believe in living it…and then it’s gone.” -Joan of Arc
70. “Every job will demand some sacrifice. The key is to avoid unnecessary sacrifice.” – Sheryl Sandberg
Insightful Sacrifice Quotes to ponder
71. “The legendary tumbleweed is really a nurse crop that protects the growth of prairie grasses under its shade, and then sacrifices itself and blows away.” – Antoine Predock
72. “If you put your mind to something, if you give 100 percent, if you sacrifice, and if you dedicate yourself, anything is truly possible.” – Apolo Ohno
73. “Prayers and sacrifices are of no avail.” – Aristotle
74. “As often as we do good, we offer sacrifices to God.” – Aristotle
75. “I would like to have won more golf tournaments. But I wouldn’t sacrifice my life. I’ve enjoyed it. I’d love to do it again the same way.” – Arnold Palmer
76. “There are 80,000 prostitutes in London alone and what are they, if not bloody sacrifices on the altar of monogamy?” – Arthur Schopenhauer
77. “It is not a sacrifice, it’s a choice. If you choose to do something, then you shouldn’t say it’s a sacrifice, because nobody forced you to do it.” – Aung San Suu Kyi
78. “People ask me about what sacrifices I’ve made. I always answer: I’ve made no sacrifices, I’ve made choices.” – Aung San Suu Kyi
79. “Democracy, like liberty, justice and other social and political rights, is not “given”, it is earned through courage, resolution and sacrifice.” – Aung San Suu Kyi
80. “The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master.” – Ayn Rand
Sacrifice Quotes to Motivate You to do the Right Thing
81. “If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don’t even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives and maybe even your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery–isolation. Isolation is the gift. All the others are a test of your endurance, of how much you really want to do it. And, you’ll do it, despite rejection and the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you’re going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It’s the only good fight there is.” ― Charles Bukowski
82. “Dreams do come true, if only we wish hard enough. You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it.” ― J.M. Barrie
83. “She taught me all about real sacrifice. That it should be done from love… That it should be done from necessity, not without exhausting all other options. That it should be done for people who need your strength because they don’t have enough of their own.” ― Veronica Roth
84. “There are memories that time does not erase… Forever does not make loss forgettable, only bearable.” ― Cassandra Clare
85. “As my sufferings mounted I soon realized that there were two ways in which I could respond to my situation — either to react with bitterness or seek to transform the suffering into a creative force. I decided to follow the latter course.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
86. “Sometimes talking to you is like talking to myself: pretty damned annoying.” ― Richelle Mead
87. “The best use of life is love. The best expression of love is time. The best time to love is now.” ― Rick Warren
88. “Find a purpose to serve, not a lifestyle to live.” ― Criss Jami
89. “Self-sacrifice? But it is precisely the self that cannot and must not be sacrificed.” ― Ayn Rand
90. “God knows we’re all drawn toward what’s beautiful and broken; I have been, but some people cannot be fixed. Or if they can be, it’s only by love and sacrifice so great it destroys the giver.” ― Cassandra Clare
What are your favorite sacrifice quotes for success and true love?
Without making sacrifices in life, we can never reach our full potential. These self-sacrifice quotes highlight how important it is to be charitable and willing to compromise.
By making sacrifices, we are able to find balance and harmony in our lives. Read this collection of sacrifice quotes if you ever need the motivation to take a risk or give up something special.
Everyone is asked to make sacrifices at some point in their life. These powerful quotes will inspire you whether you make sacrifices for friends and family at home or make sacrifices for the entire country in the army.
What are your favorite sacrifice quotes and sayings that motivate you to reach your goals? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 11, 2022 6:00 AM EST