Although thought to be dark and gloomy, shadows have a lot of meaning, as you’ll see in these shadow quotes.
Shadows are usually associated with sorrow, sadness, grief, and mystery.
As a form that is seen behind a person or a thing when directed with a ray of light, shadows just come and go depending on the time.
Shadows follow you wherever you are but suddenly disappear when all the light illuminates around you.
Tell us your favorite shadow quote in the comment section below!
What are the benefits of reading these shadow quotes?
In life, shadows are also linked to our trials—they have a cycle of appearing and vanishing through time.
These shadow quotes will remind us:
- that life is fleeting
- to be curious about how things in life work
- that things we perceive as dark can also have positive impacts in our life
We may perceive shadows as something that brings darkness and sorrow but know that shadows are there to guide and be friends too.
These shadow quotes show how they can help you find out this mysterious form’s real meaning.
Best shadow quotes and sayings
See the symbolic importance of shadow and light in human life within these shadow quotes.
1. “Even the purest cast a black shadow.” — Kaitlyn Jones
2. “All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow.” — Leo Tolstoy
3. “Befriend your shadow and life will be easier.” — Robert Jabert
You will also enjoy our article on mirror quotes.
4. “I like my shadow; it reminds me that I exist.” — Mehmet Murat ildan
You will also enjoy our article on black and white quotes.
5. “We think not in words but in shadows of words.” — Vladimir Nabokov
6. “Shadow owes its birth to light.” — John Gay
7. “To light a candle is to cast a shadow.” — Ursula K. Le Guin
8. “Some there be that shadow kiss; Such have but a shadow’s bliss.” — William Shakespeare
9. “Glory follows virtue as if it were its shadow.” — Marcus Tullius Cicero
10. “One can live in the shadow of an idea without grasping it.” — Elizabeth Bowen
11. “The brighter the light, the deeper the shadow.” — Jay Kristoff
12. “It is only through shadows that one comes to know the light.” — St. Catherine of Siena
Famous quotes about shadows
Shadows have no existence in the absence of light.
14. “To confront a person with his shadow is to show him his own light.” — Carl Jung
15. “If you don’t have any shadows you’re not in the light.” — Lady Gaga
16. “The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow.” — George R. R. Martin
17. “We are linked by our shadows, not by our light.” — Jun Mochizuki
18. “Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
19. “Even in the valley of the shadow of death, two and two do not make six.” — Leo Tolstoy
20. “Some people seemed to get all sunshine, and some all shadow…” — Louisa May Alcott
21. “There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night.” — Albert Camus
22. “The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection.” — Michelangelo
23. “The eye is always caught by light, but shadows have more to say.” — Gregory Maguire
24. “There is no light without shadow, just as there is no happiness without pain.” — Isabel Allende
25. “Somethings can only be seen in the shadows.” — Carlos Ruiz Zafon
26. “Every light has its shadow, and every shadow hath a succeeding morning.” — Nicolaus Copernicus
Shadow self quotes about conquering negativity
You will find motivational messages hidden amongst these shadow quotes.
27. “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one’s own sunshine.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
28. “I’ve seen George Foreman shadow boxing, and the shadow won.” — Muhammad Ali
29. “Some people have an identity. I have an alibi. I have a shadow self.” — Andre Aciman
30. “A false friend and a shadow attend only while the sun shines.” — Benjamin Franklin
31. “For every light, there was a shadow, for every dream, a nightmare.” — Amber R. Duell
32. “Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual’s conscious life, the blacker and denser it is.” — Carl Jung
33. “What would your good do if evil didn’t exist, and what would the earth look like if all the shadows disappeared?” ― Mikhail Bulgakov
34. “Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.” — Abraham Lincoln
35. “Light and shadow are opposite sides of the same coin. We can illuminate our paths or darken our way. It is a matter of choice.” — Maya Angelou
36. “The constant in my life was me not knowing my worth, not loving me enough, not shaping my life, being a shadow of my true self.” — Porsha Williams
Other inspiring shadow quotes
37. “Nobody can rest in the coolness of their own shadow!” — Mehmet Murat ildan
38. “Shadow is not an umbrage only but the proof of our Existence.” — Samar Sudha
39. “But only he who, himself enlightened, is not afraid of shadows.” — Immanuel Kant
40. “Life is a mixture of light and shadow. Calm and storm, and it’s all good.” — Susan W. Krebs
41. “There is a time, when passing through a light, that you walk in your own shadow.” — Keri Hulme
42. “May the dark remain in your shadow and the light shine upon you.” — Giovannie de Sadeleer
43. “The dearest friend on earth is a mere shadow compared to Jesus Christ.” — Oswald Chambers
44. “I’ve been trying to convince my shadow that I’m someone worth following.” — Rudy Francisco
45. “The very substance of the ambitious is merely the shadow of a dream.” — William Shakespeare
46. “Shadow is a colour as light is, but less brilliant; light and shadow are only the relation of two tones.” — Paul Cezanne
47. “The shadow that hidden, repressed, for the most part, inferior and guilt-laden personality whose ultimate ramifications reach back into the realm of our annual ancestors.” — Carl Jung
Shadow Quotes That Speak to Enduring Adversity
The following shadow quotes are wonderful examples of how to speak about the hidden side of existence.
48. “If you look toward the sunshine, you will never see the shadows.” — Helen Keller
49. “Adversity shows whether we have friends or only the shadows of friends.” — Publilius Syrus
50. “What happens tomorrow is but the shadow of thoughts we held today.” — Joan Bennett Kennedy
51. “Look, up at the sky. There is a light, a beauty up there, that no shadow can touch.” — J. R. R. Tolkien
52. “I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.” — Alan Moore
53. “I wonder how it takes you, that moment when everything turns to shadows. – Somerled.” — Juliet Marillier
54. “Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun.” — Hilaire Belloc
55. “When it comes to our integrity: one moment in a dark place can cast a shadow for a lifetime.” — Steven Furtick
56. “Evil and good are everywhere, like shadow and substance; inseparable (for men) yet not hostile, only opposed.” — Thomas Carlyle
57. “I’m afraid of love because it involves things that are beyond our understanding; it sheds such a brilliant light, but the shadow it casts frightens me.” — Paulo Coelho
Shadow Quotes To Make You Face The Light
When you face the light, shadows always fall behind you.
58. “Turn to the light. Don’t fear the shadow it creates.” ― Ted Dekker
59. “Under the shadow of swords, any plan is good.” ― Mehmet Murat Ildan
60. “Your shadow will always release whatever overshadows you.” ― Bill Johnson
61. “The shadow is the greatest teacher for how to come to the light.” ― Ram Dass
62. “Time is but the shadow of the world upon the background of Eternity.” ― Jerome K. Jerome
63. “When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set.” ― Lin Yutang
64. “I have harnessed the shadows that stride from world to world to sow death and madness.” ― H. P. Lovecraft
65. “Shine out fair sun, till I have bought a glass, That I may see my shadow as I pass.” ― William Shakespeare
66. “It is only the quietest one who can hear all the voices of the world; only the shadows can see all the lights!” ― Mehmet Murat Ildan
67. “How can I be sincere if I am constantly changing my mind to conform with the shadow of what I think others expect of me?” ― Thomas Merton
More illuminating shadow quotes
Here are a few more shadow quotes for your enjoyment.
68. “A medal glitters, but it also casts a shadow.” — Winston Churchill
69. “My soul’s the present shadow of a presence gone.” — Fernando Pessoa
70. “Our good and bad deeds follow us almost like a shadow.” — Gautama Buddha
71. “It’s a pretty big shadow. It gives me lots of room to spread myself.” — Lou Gehrig
72. “The comic and the tragic lie inseparably close, like light and shadow.” — Socrates
73. “I spend so much time alone that whenever I see my shadow I feel crowded.” — Dov Davidoff
74. “If a man’s shadow is brighter than himself, then that man becomes the shadow itself!” — Mehmet Murat Ildan
75. “Happiness is a shadow of harmony; it follows harmony. There is no other way to be happy.” — Rajneesh
76. “The greatest and most powerful revolutions often start very quietly, hidden in the shadows. Remember that.” — Richelle Mead
77. “Life cheats us with shadows. We ask it for pleasure. It gives it to us with bitterness and disappointment in its train.” — Oscar Wilde
Funny Shadow Quotes
78. “In the dark, where do shadows go?” ― Orson Scott Card
79. “Technically, the weight of pain is the weight of shadow.” ― Carl Phillips
80. “There are no shadows in darkness. Shadows are created by light, and only exist in the presence of light. Refusing to acknowledge our shadow leads us to deny the presence of light in us.” ― Franco Santoro
81. “it was like trying to see a shadow in the dark.” ― Melissa Andrea
82. “A shadow is hard to seize by the throat and dash to the ground.” ― Victor Hugo
83. “Sometimes I feel as if I’m racing with my own shadow” ― Haruki Murakami
84. “To speak with the shadow, you must know the language of the darkness!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
85. “My shadow is tired walking with me; but I have yet to be bored walking with myself, all by myself…” ― Munia Khan
86. “To bite off your shadow is neither easy nor painless. It demands a single-mindedness that is almost unknown in this day.” ― Neil Gaiman
87. “He’s looking into the night, in case a shadow comes to listen and look.” ― Herta Müller
Shadow Quotes About Overcoming Troubles
88. “To live in the shadow of another person…to desire to be adored as that person is….is the weakest ambition of all. Find yourself. Be loved as yourself.” ― Faye Hall
89. “It [moonlight] had a tentative grip on their shadows, as though the irregular shapes had been borrowed momentarily from the dark expanses left and right.” ― Scott Wyatt
90. “No matter how hard you fight the darkness, every light casts a shadow, and the closer you get to the light, the darker that shadow becomes.” ― Plato
91. “A farewell to my shadow is not my death; it’s my rebirth in darkness.” ― Munia Khan
92. “Shadow is Light’s child. It is nothing without the Light, and nothing if it falls into Darkness.” ― Anne Hamilton
93. “Shadow is an intelligent artist; it creates its works in places where there are already great beauties!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
94. “The sun’s brightness painted our shadows on the ground.” ― Ishmael Beah
95. “If we didn’t have shadow we’d just sit around loving the light, likely doing nothing with it.” ― S. Kelley Harrell
96. “The most beautiful of human things are born in the shadows and thrive there and are endangered by light” ― Prabhukrishna M
97. “Get acquainted with your shadow, or find yourself surprised when a crisis emerges.” ― M.B. Dallocchio
98. “Being in a shadow is never just as simple as stepping out of it. Shadows can camouflage a lot of things.” ― Leah Henderson
99. “The best in this kind are but shadows, and the worst are no worse if imagination amend them.” ― William Shakespeare
100. “Sometimes the moon is light and sometimes it’s in shadow, but you should always remember it’s the same moon.” ― Terry Pratchett
101. “It is within the sunshine of positive outlooks that we can feel the warmth needed to surpass the shadow of lifes challenges.” ― Natasha Potter
102. “I believe in the resistance as I believe there can be no light without shadow; or rather no shadow unless there is also light.” ― Margaret Atwood
103. “That’s not my shadow, that’s my darkness.” ― S.L. Jennings
104. “The true essence of the soul is revealing when we embrace the light and shadows within ourselves.” ― Dee Waldeck
105. “Every shadow of doubt is cast from a candle of hope.” ― Samuel M. Griffin
106. “A leader helps the brilliance of others shine and never allows them to be hidden in his or her shadow.” ― Jeffrey G. Duarte
107. “Sometimes shadow are even precious but every time her single glimpse flows me away.” ― Raveen Paudel
The emotional shadow
Another meaning of the shadow is that it represents the emotions opposite of your “light” and is often called the “shadow self.”
This means shadows are connected with whatever positive emotion you have.
If your light is happiness, your shadow is grief.
If you are outgoing and sociable, your shadow is afraid to be left alone.
It is one’s alter ego, and it defines your inner character.
It offers you something to learn that you can apply to a similar situation next time.
The shadow may not disappear in your life, as it will always come to you when there is little light, but you should know that it is there to remind you of your true self.
You just have to stay true to yourself and be real.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these shadow quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
If you found this article interesting, share it with your friends on social media!
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Rather than doing nothing and getting sucked into a terrible rabbit hole, let’s explore ten ways to reinvent yourself so you – and your life – can become unstuck.
Ready to get inspired and uplifted? These words of wisdom are here for you, friend!
These books for men will help you discover who you want to be, what is holding you back, and how to create a path forward.
There are many ways to nourish your soul, from breathing and spending time with nature to volunteering; here are ten ways to start today.
Check out these related quote articles:
Physical and emotional pain are an undeniable part of the human experience; these pain quotes prove it.
The sky, an expansive canvas stretching above us, holds a captivating allure that has captivated hearts and minds for millennia.
Water, the life-giving elixir that flows through our world, holds a profound symbolism in the human experience.
Feeling alone and in need of some inspiration? Check out our list of lonely quotes that will help you cope with the feeling of loneliness.