These grandchildren quotes express the joys of having grandchildren.
They will remind you why children are one of the best sources of happiness.
Being a grandparent can be a magical experience.
Children are extraordinary and charming creatures who remind us daily about the innocence of life we seemed to have long ago forgotten.
You may also enjoy our article on:
What makes grandchildren so special?
After we’ve grown up and raised our own children, it can be hard to remember the simple joys of childhood we used to know.
Instead, you’re free to enjoy the grand experiences of grandparenthood.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and happy grandchildren quotes and sayings, collected from various sources over the years.
If you enjoy this article, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
Grandchildren quotes about love
1. Grandchildren are the dots that connect the lines from generation to generation.” ― Lois Wyse
2. “Have children while your parents are still young enough to take care of them.” — Rita Rudner
3. “Grandparents, like heroes, are as necessary to a child’s growth as vitamins.” – Joyce Allston
4. “Grandchildren are loving reminders of what we’re really here for.” — Janet Lanese
5. “Elephants and grandchildren never forget.” – Andy Rooney
Wise grandchildren quotes
6. “Grandchildren are God’s reward for not killing your kids.” — Tony Campolo
7. “Never have children, only grandchildren.” – Gore Vidal
8. “The grandchildren should not bear the debts of the grandparents.” – Nassim Nicholas Taleb
9. “Your sons weren’t made to like you. That’s what grandchildren are for.” – Jane Smiley
10. “When grandparents enter the door, discipline flies out the window.” — Ogden Nash
11. “Children are the rainbow of life. Grandchildren are the pot of gold.” ― Irish Blessing
12. “The idea that no one is perfect is a view most commonly held by people with no grandchildren.” — Doug Larson
13. “Something magical happens when parents turns into grandparents. Their attitude changes from “money-doesn’t-grow-on-trees” to spending it like it does.” — Paul Linden
14. “Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do. Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children.” — Alex Haley
15. “To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault
16. “The best babysitters, of course, are the baby’s grandparents. You feel completely comfortable entrusting your baby to them for long periods, which is why most grandparents flee to Florida.” — Dave Barry
Heartwarming grandchildren quotes
17. “Grandchildren give us a second chance to do things better because they bring out the best in us.” – Unknown
18. “A mother becomes a true grandmother the day she stops noticing the terrible things her children do because she is so enchanted with the wonderful things her grandchildren do.” – Lois Wyse
19. “With your own children, you love them immediately – and with grandchildren, it’s exactly the same.” – Kevin Whately
20. “One of the most powerful handclasps is that of a new grandbaby around the finger of a grandfather.”
– Joy Hargrove
Funny grandchildren quotes
21. “Because (grandparents) are usually free to love and guide and befriend the young without having to take daily responsibility for them, they can often reach out past pride and fear of failure and close the space between generations.” — Jimmy Carter
If you’re enjoying this article, you’ll also love these mother daughter quotes expressing unconditional love
22. “For the sake of our health, our children and grandchildren and even our economic well-being, we must make protecting the planet our top priority.” – David Suzuki
23. “You better arm yourselves to answer your children’s and grandchildren’s questions… no matter what the question is… without being judgmental.” – Josh McDowell
24. “A home filled with grandchildren is a home filled with love.” – Unknown
25. “My grandkids believe I’m the oldest thing in the world. And after two or three hours with them, I believe it, too.” – Gene Perret
26. “What a bargain grandchildren are! I give them my loose change, and they give me a million dollars’ worth of pleasure.“
– Gene Perret
27. “Do you know why grandchildren are always so full of energy? They suck it out of their grandparents.” – Gene Perret
28. “They say genes skip generations. Maybe that is why grandparents find their grandchildren so likeable.” ― Joan McIntosh
29. “If we care about the children, the grandchildren, the future generations, we need to make sure that they do not become the cannon fodder of the future.” – Helen Thomas
30. “Your sons weren’t made to like you. That’s what grandchildren are for.” ― Jane Smiley
More hilarious grandchildren quotes
31. “The reason grandparents and grandchildren get along so well is that they have a common enemy.” — Sam Levenson
32. “Grandchildren are the dots that connect the lines from generation to generation.” – Lois Wyse
33. “An hour with your grandchildren can make you feel young again. Anything longer than that, and you start to age quickly.” — Gene Perret
34. “If your baby is ‘beautiful and perfect, never cries or fusses, sleeps on schedule and burps on demand, an angel all the time,’ you’re the grandma.” Teresa Bloomingdale
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of baby quotes that new parents can relate to.
35. “On the seventh day God rested. His grandchildren must have been out of town.” — Gene Perret
36. “Grandparents are there to help the child get into mischief they haven’t thought of yet.” — Gene Perret
37. “Grandchildren: the only people who can get more out of you than the IRS.” — Gene Perret
38. “You’re more trouble than the children are” is the greatest compliment a grandparent can receive.” —Gene Perret
Don’t forget to also read these memorable childhood quotes that will make you connect with your inner child.
Grandchildren quotes to enrich your life
39. “To become a grandparent is to enjoy one of the few pleasures in life for which the consequences have already been paid.” — Robert Brault
40. “Grandma always made you feel she had been waiting to see just you all day and now the day was complete.” — Marcy DeMaree
41. “Our grandchildren accept us for ourselves, without rebuke or effort to change us, as no one in our entire lives has ever done, not our parents, siblings, spouses, friends — and hardly ever our own grown children.” — Ruth Goode
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of sibling quotes to cherish your BFF by blood!
42. “The feeling of grandparents for their grandchildren can be expressed this way: “Our children are dear to us; but when we have grandchildren, they seem to be more dear than our children were.” — Henry Old Coyote
43. “Perfect love sometimes does not come until grandchildren are born.” ― Welsh Proverb
44. “With your own children, you love them immediately― and with grandchildren, it’s exactly the same.” ― Kevin Whately
45. “I get on fine with my mum and dad, but if they want to see the grandchildren, they come to me.” — Aaron Taylor-Johnson
46. “If I had known how wonderful it would be to have grandchildren, I’d have had them first.” — Lois Wyse
Make sure to read our collection of mother and son quotes that put words to this unbreakable bond.
Grandchildren quotes that will make you think about the state of the world we leave them
47. “I’d like my grandchildren to be able to see that their grandmother stood up for something, a long time ago.” — Claudette Colvin
48. “The question is, are we happy to suppose that our grandchildren may never be able to see an elephant except in a picture book?” — David Attenborough
49. “The human overpopulation issue is the topic I see as the most vital to solve if our children and grandchildren are to have a good quality of life.” — Alexandra Paul
50. “The greatest legacy one can pass on to one’s children and grandchildren is not money or other material things accumulated in one’s life, but rather a legacy of character and faith.” — Billy Graham
51. “It’s now our responsibility to prove to ourselves, to other nations, and especially to our children and our grandchildren, that politics is full of fun; politics has some wisdom. Politics is freedom.” — Joko Widodo
52. “I want my children and my grandchildren to live in a world with clean air, pure drinking water, and an abundance of wildlife, so I’ve chosen to dedicate my life to wildlife conservation so I can make the world just a little bit better.” — Bindi Irwin
53. “We are a nation of immigrants. We are the children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the ones who wanted a better life, the driven ones, the ones who woke up at night hearing that voice telling them that life in that place called America could be better.” — Mitt Romney
54. “People ask how I can be a conservative and still want higher taxes. It makes my head spin, and I guess it shows how old I am. But I thought that conservatives were supposed to like balanced budgets. I thought it was the conservative position to not leave heavy indebtedness to our grandchildren.” — Ben Stein
55. “A life of stasis would be population control, combined with energy rationing. That is the stasis world that you live in if you stay. And even with improvements in efficiency, you’ll still have to ration energy. That, to me, doesn’t sound like a very exciting civilization for our grandchildren’s grandchildren to live in.” — Jeff Bezos
56. “The fabric of North Carolina and what makes our state so special is our families and our common desire for a brighter future for our children. No matter what your family looks like, we all want the same thing for our families – happiness, health, prosperity, a bright future for our children and grandchildren.” — Kay Hagan
Grandchildren quotes about how loved they are
57. “I’ve got the most fabulous children and grandchildren.” -Betty Catroux
58. “We have a moral responsibility to protect the earth and ensure that our children and grandchildren have a healthy and sustainable environment in which to live.” -Jim Clyburn
59. “I’ve always enjoyed seeing the world through the eyes of my grandchildren.” -Neil Sedaka
60. “I don’t put off any time with my grandchildren. I don’t put off a thing.” -Lynn Redgrave
61. “Being a mother and grandmother is the best of the best in my life. My grandchildren multiply the joy my daughters bring me.” -Alexandra Stoddard
62. “My grandchildren are fabulous and funny.” -Erica Jong
63. “My real achievement is my daughter and my three beautiful grandchildren.” -Marilyn Horne
64. “I have never once regretted missing a business opportunity so that I could be with my children and grandchildren.” -Mitt Romney
65. “Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap.” -Doug Larson
66. “Grandchildren restore our zest for life, and our faith in humanity.” -Unknown Author
Gorgeous Grandchildren Quotes and Sayings
67. “Truth be told, being a grandma is as close as we ever get to perfection. The ultimate warm sticky bun with plump raisins and nuts. Clouds nine, ten, and eleven.” – Bryna Nelson Paston
68. “Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you’re just a mother. The next you are all-wise and prehistoric.” – Pam Brown
69. “Every house needs a grandmother in it.” – Louisa May Alcott
70. “There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson.” – Victor Hugo
71. “Sometimes our grandmas and grandpas are like grand-angels.” — Lexie Saige
72. “Grandparents can be very special resources. Just being close to them reassures a child, without words, about change and continuity, about what went before and what will come after.” — Fred Rogers
73. “Young people need something stable to hang on to — a culture connection, a sense of their own past, a hope for their own future. Most of all, they need what grandparents can give them.” — Jay Kesler
74. “I’m going to be your grandpa! I have the biggest smile. I’ve been waiting to meet you for such a long, long while.” — Billy Crystal
75. “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” — Sam Levenson
76. “Posterity is the patriotic name for grandchildren.” — Art Linkletter
Thought Provoking Grandchildren Quotes
77. “Dearer than our children are the children of our children.” — Deny Davis.
78. “My grandchild has taught me what true love means. It means watching Scooby-Doo cartoons while the basketball game is on another channel.” — Gene Perret
79. “Only through love will we find our way to create a world worthy of our children and our grandchildren.” ― Laurence Overmire
80. “A Grandmother thinks of her grandchildren day and night, even when they are not with her. She will always love them more than anyone would understand.” ― Karen Gibbs
81. “I have 22 grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and they keep me young.” — Jimmy Carter.
82. “My wife, my daughters, even my grandchildren are funny. You’ve got to keep a sense of humor because anger destroys you.” — Michael Caine
83. “There is no greater achievement than being a grandfather who tells fairy tales to grandchildren.” — Eraldo Banovac.
84. “The only people interested in hearing about your grandchildren are other grandparents who want to tell you about theirs.” — Bryna Nelson Paston.
85. “A grandchild is like a fine jewel set in an old ring.” — Anne Lamott
86. “I like to do nice things for my grandchildren like buy them those toys I’ve always wanted to play with.” — Gene Perret.
Grandchildren Quotes That Bring Youthfulness
87. “I wish I had the energy that my grandchildren have – if only for self-defense.” ― Gene Perret
88. “There is no time so short as the time between when your kids stop wrecking your furniture and your grandchildren start.” ― Mary Margaret McBride
89. “Our faces will become works of art that our grandchildren will treasure.” ― Adriana Trigiani
90. “I have four daughters and eight grandchildren. My soul lives on in them. That’s immortality. That’s the only immortality I care about.” ― Ray Bradbury
91. “Grandchildren are their grandparents’ toys.” ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
92. “Even now, I am not old. / I never think of it, and yet / I am a grandmother to eleven grandchildren.” ― Grandma Moses
93. “We have to build the country that we want to see our future children and grandchildren live in.” ― Zendaya
94. “Grandparents enjoy the company of their grandchildren. For them, they experience the miracle of being 10 again.” ― Meeta Ahluwalia
95. “I have four of the most incredible children. And I have five grandchildren.” ― Florence Henderson
96. “Ma, I’m just trying to get going on those grandchildren you want.” ― Christina Dodd
Grandchildren Quotes To Celebrate Them For the Good Company They Give to Grandparents
97. “Everyone needs to have access both to grandparents and grandchildren in order to be a full human being.” — Margaret Mead
98. “My grandchildren are on social media all the time, and they think they have friends. But it’s not what I would’ve called a friend, ever.” — Noam Chomsky
99. “In the presence of grandparent and grandchild, past and future merge in the present.” — Margaret Mead
100. “What about our children and grandchildren and their children and grandchildren? Do we not want them to live healthy and happy lives?” — David Suzuki
101. “As a grandmother, I’ve learned that you can’t buy love. But your grandchildren are disappointed when you don’t try.” — Mary Margaret McBride
102. “We owe it to each other – and to our children and grandchildren – to leave our planet in a better state than when we found it.” — Christopher Dodd
103. “My wife and my three kids and my grandchildren are my life, but my horses and my dogs are everything else.” — William Shatner
104. “I have three grandchildren and am hoping for 20.” — Maureen Forrester
105. “Two things I dislike about my granddaughter – when she won’t take her afternoon nap, and when she won’t let me take mine.” — Gene Perret
106. “A grandmother is a person with too much wisdom to let that stop her from making a fool of herself over her grandchildren.” — Phil Moss
Grandchildren Quotes That Will Bring A Smile In Your Face
107. “Grandchildren are precious gifts given to parents from their children.” — Lisa
108. “I love music of all kinds, but there’s no greater music than the sound of my grandchildren laughing; my kids, too.” — Sylvia Earle
109. “Surely, two of the most satisfying experiences in life must be those of being a grandchild or a grandparent.” — Donald A. Norberg
110. “Grandchildren are the most glorious blessing you could ask for.” — Jacqueline Douglas
111. “If this world is going to be a better place for our grandchildren and great-grandchildren, it will be women who make it so.” — Isabel Allende
112. “Grandchildren don’t make a man feel old; it’s the knowledge that he’s married to a grandmother.” — G. Norman Collie
113. “There is nothing more wonderful than the love and guidance a grandparent can give his or her grandchild.” — Edward Fays
114. “A child needs a grandparent, anybody’s grandparent, to grow a little more securely into an unfamiliar world.” — Charles and Ann Morse
115. “Uncles and aunts, and cousins, are all very well, and fathers and mothers are not to be despised; but a grandmother, at holiday time, is worth them all.” — Fanny Fern
116. “The secret of life is to skip having children and go directly to grandchildren.” — Mell Lazarus
Grandchildren Quotes About Grandparent’s Delight
117. “I love skiing, I love the sun, I love my children, I love my grandchildren, I love my family and friends… and whatever I haven’t done.” ― Donna Karan
118. “We can no longer continue with a status quo energy policy. We must create sustainable clean energy jobs and leave the planet to our children and grandchildren in better shape than we found it.” ― Jeff Merkley
119. “I have had enough experience in all my years, and have read enough of the past, to know that advice to grandchildren is usually wasted.” ― Harry S. Truman
120. “My life contains so many other things; I have my children, my grandchildren, my two dogs and a big place in the country. I have my own life.” ― Agnetha Faltskog
121. “Well, you know, my wife and I have eight children. We have now 19 grandchildren.” ― Mike DeWine
122. “I’m a grandmother and like every grandmother, I worry about the safety and security of my grandchildren, but my worries are not the same as black grandmothers.” ― Hillary Clinton
123. “In every moment of every day of my life, I get to wake up and work with amazing people and nurture them in the way that I might have nurtured my son or my grandchildren that he might have had.” ― Kathy Eldon
124. “Someday I will tell my grandchildren that I lived in the era when OK was abbreviated to K.” ― Demetri Martin
125. “My grandparents invented joylessness. They were not fun. I’ve already had more fun with my grandchildren than my grandparents ever had with me.” ― Billy Crystal
126. “Nowadays, of course, just about our only solvent industry is the merchandising of death, bankrolled by our grandchildren.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
Grandchildren Quotes to Make Your Day Bright
127. “Always smile back at little children. To ignore them is to destroy their belief that the world is good.” — Pam Brown
128. “One day, we think, at last, we have escaped the ties of children, their troubles and demands. And then we feel a little tug – and find ourselves bound, once more, by the needs of our grandchildren. And their love.” — Pamela Brown
129. “If you plant a walnut, you are planting it for your grandchildren, and who cares a damn for his grandchildren?” ― George Orwell
130. “Grandchildren now don’t write a thank you for the Christmas presents. They are walking on their pants with their cap on backward, listening to the Enema Man and Snoopy, Snoopy Poop Dog.” ― Alan Simpson
131. “She asked me what made me do such a thing. That is an awkward question because I often can’t tell what makes me do things. Sometimes I do them just to find out what I feel like doing them. And sometimes I do them because I want to have some exciting things to tell my grandchildren.” ― L.M. Montgomery
132. “She loved them so much that she felt a kind of hollowness on the inner surface of her arms whenever she looked at them- an ache of longing to pull them close and hold them tight against her.” ― Anne Tyler
133. “As a subconscious attempt to add meaning or purpose to their life: The unemployed pray for a job; the retired pray for grandchildren.”― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
134. “For their holidays: the rich’s kids travel the world; the poor’s kids roam around their grandparents’ yard.”― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
135. “Invest your money and time acquiring knowledge for yourself… and the good news is that as you do so, you keep your children and grandchildren and unborn generations enlightened by what you have already learnt!” ― Israelmore Ayivor
136. “Grandmotherhood initiated me into a world of play, where all things became fresh, alive, and honest again through my grandchildren’s eyes. Mostly, it retaught me love.” — Sue Monk Kidd
137. “Having a grandmother is like having an army. This is a grandchild’s ultimate privilege: knowing that someone is on your side, always, whatever the details. Even when you are wrong. Especially then, in fact. A grandmother is both a sword and a shield.” — Fredrik Backman
Grandchildren Quotes To Celebrate The Unconditional Love
138. “You make all your mistakes with your own children, so by the time your grandchildren arrive, you know how to get it right. Plus, once you turn fifty, you kind of stop caring what others think.” — Liz Fenton
139. “Children brought up by their grandparents are generally spoiled.” — Spanish Proverb
140. “I tell you one thing that makes me feel I haven’t wasted my life, and that is I’ve got some grandchildren. You can’t overestimate the kind of opening to the future that gives a person, I think.” — Helen Garner
141. “There are grandmothers out there who would move heaven and earth for their grandchildren.” — Janice Elliott
142. “When a child is born, so are grandmothers.” — Judith Levy
143. “Grandma came back from that distance in time that separates grandmothers from their grandchildren and made herself a mother to me.“ — Wendell Berry
144. “Some grandmas took their grandchildren to parks, or bought them books and dolls, or shared their special stories. Her grandma shared her recipes.” Amy E. Reichert
145. “Grandchildren are God’s way of compensating us for growing old.” — Mary H. Waldrip
146. “We wish grandparents would remember these two truths about grandchildren: 1. They are not your children; 2. They are your grandchildren.” — Ross Campbell
147. “If my grandchildren were to look at me and say, ‘You were aware species were disappearing and you did nothing, you said nothing’, that I think is culpable. I don’t know how much more they expect me to be doing, I’d better ask them.” — David Attenborough
Did these grandchildren quotes warm your heart?
With grandchildren comes all the love and you felt with your own child, but none of the stress and fears.
You don’t have to worry about raising them right, because you know you’ve already raised your own child to do that for you.
Instead, you are free to play and spoil your grandchildren to your hearts delight.
Having grandchildren is to have someone who will always love you, no matter what.
It is having a daily reminder of the miracle that life is.
And becoming a grandparent is opening a new chapter of adventures in the story of your life.
Did these loving grandchildren quotes bring you joy?
Which quote was your favorite?
Let us know in the comment section below.