Late night can mean different things to different people, and so can these late night quotes!
Share your favorite quote with us in the comment section.
What Are The Benefits Of Reading These Late-Night Quotes?
When you think of ‘late night,’ what comes to mind?
The dark and beauty of the night?
Late night talk shows? Or life and love?
No matter what comes to mind, there is surely a quote on this list that will resonate with you.
These quotes will:
- Make the perfect Instagram captions for your nighttime photos and activities
- Help you describe how the night makes you feel
- Answer questions about what makes up a “late night”
Some late-night quotes on this list are from books and poems about how night can make us feel.
There are also quotes from late-night talk show hosts.
It is an eclectic list, but you never know what a late night will bring!
What time does late night even start?
Is there a real answer?
Is it when the moon is high, and the stars are bright?
Or is it hours after you go to bed?
Keep reading for some more information and interesting facts about nighttime!
Late Night Quotes For Instagram
Here are some of the best late night quotes.
See if you can relate with any of the following late night thoughts.
1. “How did it get so late so soon?” ― Dr. Seuss
2. “Sleeplessness is a desert without vegetation or inhabitants.” ― Jessalyn West
3. “I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.” ― Sarah Williams
4. “The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep.” ― W.C. Fields
5. “Melancholy were the sounds on a winter’s night.” ― Virginia Woolf
6. “I like the night. Without the dark, we’d never see the stars.” ― Stephenie Meyer
7. “The night is the hardest time to be alive, and 4 a.m. knows all my secrets.” ― Poppy Z. Brite
8. “It was the possibility of darkness that made the day seem so bright.” ― Stephen King, Wolves of the Calla
9. “The day is over; the night is here; know that I love you today and forever, my dear.” — Catherine Pulsifer
10. “The sky grew darker, painted blue on blue, one stroke at a time, into deeper and deeper shades of night.” ― Haruki Murakami
Late Night Thought Quotes About Life
If you enjoy the late night hours, you’ll enjoy these quotes.
11. “Life begins at night” ― Charlaine Harris
12. “The nearer the dawn, the darker the night.” ― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
13. “The darker the night, the brighter the stars. The deeper the grief, the closer is God!” ― Apollon Maykov
14. “The only true borders lie between day and night, between life and death, between hope and loss.” ― Erin Hunter
15. “It was a wonderful night, such a night as is only possible when we are young, dear reader.” ― Fyodor Dostoevsky
16. “The longest way must have it’s close – the gloomiest night will wear on to a morning.” ― Harriet Beecher Stowe
17. “The moon will guide you through the night with her brightness, but she will always dwell in the darkness in order to be seen.” ― Shannon L. Alder
18. “Night is a time of rigor, but also of mercy. There are truths which one can see only when it’s dark.” ― Isaac Bashevis Singer
19. “Everything was an adventure, at night, when you were where you shouldn’t be, even if it was somewhere you could go perfectly well in daylight, and it was then only ordinary.” ― Robin McKinley, Pegasus
20. “There is a loveliness to life that does not fade. Even in the terrors of the night, there is a tendency toward grace that does not fail us.” ― Robert Goolrick
Late Night Quotes About Dreams And Sleep
Night has a way of changing things—sometimes for the better and sometimes things feel harder.
21. “What hath night to do with sleep?” ― John Milton
22. “Whoever thinks of going to bed before twelve o’clock is a scoundrel.” ― Samuel Johnson
23. “If he can’t sleep, how will he ever dream?” ― Eddie Vedder
24. “Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
25. “Your dreams may seem impossible to someone with insomnia.” ― Junnita Jackson
26. “Anything seems possible at night when the rest of the world has gone to sleep.” ― David Almond
27. “Good night – may you fall asleep in the arms of a dream, so beautiful, you’ll cry when you awake.” ― Michael Faudet
28. “Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.” ― Edgar Allan Poe
29. “It is a common experience that a problem difficult at night is resolved in the morning after the committee of sleep has worked on it.” — John Steinbeck
30. “All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.” ― T.E. Lawrence
Late Night Thought Quotes About Love
There are many places where minds can wonder in late night thoughts, as shown in the following quotes.
31. “It was raining that night when we kissed for the first time.” ― Avijeet Das
32. “When you’re in love, the night is never long enough.” ― Anthony T. Hincks
33. “Love something, even if it’s only the sound of a bell ringing in the night.” ― Marty Rubin
34. “This golden field covered in stars above – the empty night and the feeling of love.” ― Laura Chouette
35. “A friend of mine once defined love as finding someone you can talk to late into the night.” — James Patterson
36. “Really, it had been stupid to expect anything, anyway. A few late nights does not a habit, or a relationship, make.” — Sarah Dessen
37. “Your heavenly eyes are shining like a late-night star to be in heaven. I like to get lost in those eyes forever.” — Debasish Mridha
38. “Since you are gone, I collect the stars each night – building my own night sky, so I have something to hold onto forever.” ― Laura Chouette
39. “Each time you look up into the night sky, let the stars remind you that if you burn bright enough, you can be a glimmer of hope to someone even if they are a million miles away.” ― Adeel Ahmed Khan
40. “I love the night air so cold yet so crisp, clutching us in a passionate embrace where we give way to all that a heart desires; some make poems, some heal wounds, and some sleep in the arms of love while every soul wears it’s real and most vulnerable yet most whole self.” ― Debatrayee Banerjee
Quotes About Late Night TV
Late night television fans will love these quotes.
41. “I feel my shows are like a late-night talk show that we settle down and do every night.” — John Mayer
42. “My criticisms of late-night TV blew up some old friendships and sparked some new ones.” — Nell Scovell
43. “Anyone who does stand-up comedy can agree that doing a late-night spot is a dream of theirs.” — Phoebe Robinson
44. “When you’re doing late-night, you’re on the grind every night; you send someone to check on your mom.” — Arsenio Hall
45. “Late-night television is like the cereal aisle in the supermarket: too many choices. Also, too many ‘different’ brands that really aren’t different at all.” — Tom Shales
46. “I try hard not to repeat myself and not to do material other people are doing. We transcribe every other late-night show to make sure there’s no similarity.” — Jimmy Kimmel
47. “Politics is pop. Our job as comedians – especially me, as a late-night talk show, which is a broader audience – is to amplify what we think America is thinking.” — Jimmy Fallon
48. “In a late-night monologue, it’s not just about being funny; you have to come off as knowledgeable. You have to cultivate a persona of trust and intelligence and likeability.” —Anthony Jeselnik
49. “I never wanted to be in the late-night talk show wars, and I think somehow, with ‘Totally Biased,’ I got caught up in all that. Suddenly, there are articles about how we finally have a black voice in late-night.” — W. Kamau Bell
50. “People say, ‘Oh, you’re doing the job of journalists.’ I think it’s very important to note that we can’t do our job without journalists. Journalists can do their job without late-night comedians. They’d be just fine without us. But we, of course, use their work every day to build our pieces.” — Seth Meyers
Late Night Quotes About Lack Of Sleep
If we are going to have late-night thoughts, we have to mention what keeps us up late at night in the first place.
52. “Sleep is such a luxury, which I can’t afford.” — Robin Sikarwar
53. “A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.” — Charlotte Bronte
54. “Not being able to sleep is terrible. You have the misery of having partied all night… without the satisfaction.” — Lynn Johnston
55. “The worst thing in the world is to try to sleep and not to.” — F. Scott Fitzgerald
56. “Sleep comes more easily than it returns.” — Victor Hugo
57. “Insomnia is my greatest inspiration.” — Jon Stewart
58. “Between the midnight and the morning: on a given day, that’s the hardest stretch of time to fill.” ― Luis Joaquin M Katigbak
59. “You are the biggest enemy of your own sleep.” — Pawan Mishra
60. “I find the nights long, for I sleep but little, and think much.” ― Charles Dickens
Late-Night Thoughts Quotes About Counting Sleep For A Good Rest
61. “When I’m worried, and I can’t sleep, I count my blessings instead of sheep.” — Irving Berlin
62. “The last refuge of the insomniac is a sense of superiority to the sleeping world.” — Leonard Cohen
63. “I’m so tired, but I can’t sleep. Standing on the edge of something much too deep.” — Sarah McLachlan
64. “There are times when the bed is the only place on earth where peace is to be had.” — Richard Llewellyn
65. “There is not enough interest in life to spread over twenty-four hours when one can’t sleep.” — Madame de Stael
66. “The reasons we can’t sleep at night are usually the same reasons we don’t truly live during the day.” — Michael Xavier
67. “I can’t wait to wake up and try something new. I can’t sleep at night because I want to try something new.” — Rodney Mullen
68. “When I can’t sleep, I don’t count sheep. I count lovers. And by the time I reach 38 or 39, I’m asleep.” — Miriam Hopkins
69. “If you can’t sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there and worrying. It’s the worry that gets you, not the loss of sleep.” — Dale Carnegie
70. “I can hear my stomach growling. I can hear my teeth grinding and my joints creaking. My body’s so noisy; I can’t sleep.” — Charles M. Schulz
Everything You Wanted To Know About Late Night
The first question you might have is when exactly is ‘late night.’
Well, according to WGN9, when asked how segments of the day correspond to the weather forecast, they defined late at night as midnight to 6 in the morning.
Did you know that on Earth, the average night is shorter than the average day?
This has to do with the sun’s apparent disk shape and how the atmosphere refracts sunlight.
The summer solstice is the shortest night of the year, while the winter solstice is the longest night.
In some geographical regions, the difference in daylight hours is so extreme that part of summer sees a period without night for an extended length of time.
Conversely, part of winter sees a period without daytime.
Night can also be associated with danger or evil.
This is mainly because people fear the dark and don’t know what’s out there.
The night also makes it harder to see, which makes humans vulnerable.
However, the night can be beautiful, especially if you are interested in stargazing!
What’s your biggest takeaway from these late night quotes and sayings?
Share your thoughts about the night with us in the comment section below.